PDA

View Full Version : The Turtle - Max AC without raid gear

Malachi_Stormlight2
08-13-2007, 01:49 PM
This build is designed for Maximum AC and Maximum Intimidate to compliment that. It has a hefty amount of HP to take the damage, good saves, and doesnt sacrifice too much to attain dex for FAM and DAM. I also chose to go with shield mastery and improved shield mastery, along with the dwarven shield mastery enhancements. Which will provide substantial damage reduction after intimidation when fighting mobs, end bosses and the like. I went with imp crit bludgeon as I believe that can be used while shield bashing in turtle mode.

Also all gear used I either have or is easy to attain (like the nat AC ring)

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 2.70
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

The Turtle
Level 14 Lawful Good Dwarf Male
(7 Fighter \ 7 Paladin)
Hit Points: 278 (320 with con item on, 350 with GFL)
BAB: 14\14\19\24
To Hit with +5 dwarven Axe: 29\29\34\39
Fortitude: 24 (29 Kardins Eye)
Reflex: 18 (23 Kardins Eye)
Will: 14 (19 Kardins Eye)

Starting Ending Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Base Stats Modified Stats
(32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 14) (Level 14)
Strength 16 21 29 +2 favor tome +6 gloves
Dexterity 15 16 22 +1 tome +6 dex boots
Constitution 15 16 24 +1 tome +6 con Belt
Intelligence 12 13 19 +1 tome +6 int goggles
Wisdom 8 8 14 +6 Wisdom Neck
Charisma 11 12 20 +1 tome +6 cha ring

Armor Class Break Down

10 Base
13 Mith FP
3 Mith FP Max Dex
9 Mith Tower Shield (4 max dex + Fighter Tower Mastery 2)
2 Dwarven Armor Mastery
1 Fighter Armor Mastery
5 Protection Cloak
2 Chaos Guard
2 Nat AC Ring Invaders
1 Dodge Feat
5 Combat Expertise
3 Self Pally Aura

56 standing AC with expertise (51 without)

AC with pots (just for fun I will add all that other stuff)

1 Haste Pot
1 Barkskin pot (1 more then the 2 nat ac from ring)

58 with expertise on

AC with other peoplse buffs

2 Ranger bark skin (total +5 i believe, 2 more then pot?)
2 Recitation (think its 2 not sure, maybe four)
1 Bulwark 3 from 11 pally (1 more then self aura)

63 Ac with expertise on

With chattering ring 66, shield blocking (adds 2?) 68

Tomes Used
+1 Tome of Dexterity used at level 1
+1 Tome of Constitution used at level 1
+1 Tome of Intelligence used at level 1
+1 Tome of Charisma used at level 1
+2 Tome of Strength used at level 14

Starting Ending Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 14) (Level 14)
Balance 5 11.5 15.5
Bluff 1 2 2
Concentration 3 4 4
Diplomacy 1 2 2
Disable Device n/a n/a n/a
Haggle 1 2 2
Heal -1 -1 -1
Hide 3 3 3
Intimidate 5 19 36 +13 item and cha bonus
Jump 7 16 16
Listen -1 -1 -1
Move Silently 3 3 3
Open Lock n/a n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a n/a
Repair 1 1 1
Search 1 1 3
Spot -1 -1 -1
Swim 3 6 6
Tumble n/a n/a n/a
Use Magic Device n/a n/a n/a

Notable Equipment
Armor: +5 Mithral Full Plate
Shield: +5 Mithral Steel Tower Shield
Chaos Guard
Invaders Nat AC Ring
+5 Protection Cloak

Level 1 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Dodge
Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 2 (Paladin)

Level 3 (Fighter)
Feat: (Selected) Bullheaded
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Combat Expertise

Level 4 (Paladin)

Level 5 (Fighter)

Level 6 (Fighter)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Shield Bash
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Shield Mastery

Level 7 (Fighter)

Level 8 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Critical: Bludgeoning Weapons

Level 9 (Fighter)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Shield Mastery

Level 10 (Paladin)

Level 11 (Paladin)

Level 12 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 13 (Paladin)

Level 14 (Paladin)
Enhancement: Dwarven Armor Mastery I
Enhancement: Dwarven Armor Mastery II
Enhancement: Dwarven Constitution I
Enhancement: Dwarven Constitution II
Enhancement: Dwarven Shield Mastery I
Enhancement: Dwarven Shield Mastery II
Enhancement: Dwarven Shield Mastery III
Enhancement: Dwarven Spell Defense I
Enhancement: Dwarven Toughness I
Enhancement: Dwarven Toughness II
Enhancement: Fighter Armor Mastery I
Enhancement: Fighter Tower Shield Mastery I
Enhancement: Fighter Tower Shield Mastery II
Enhancement: Paladin Bulwark of Good I
Enhancement: Paladin Bulwark of Good II
Enhancement: Paladin Resistance of Good I
Enhancement: Fighter Intimidate I
Enhancement: Fighter Intimidate II
Enhancement: Paladin Charisma I
Enhancement: Paladin Charisma II
Enhancement: Fighter Strength I
Enhancement: Fighter Strength II
Enhancement: Fighter Toughness I
Enhancement: Fighter Toughness II

NightbirdX
08-14-2007, 06:42 AM
Why use the Nat AC ring, and not the Barkskin potion? Do those stack? I assume not. Add in a Haste, and if my assumptions are correct, that is an extra 2 AC.

I have Combat Expertise on my Tank, but really don't like using it. If I am going to take a hit to my Attack, I'd rather it go to Power Attack. But, I am a melee orientated tank, that has a high AC. The only time I will use Combat Expertise is when I am fighting things that hit like a mack truck. The Chaos Hound in Xoriat comes to mind.

Fully buffed with a Pld in group I hit 51 AC. 56 with Expertise, though its rarely used. The area you have me on is the Dex, and the Pld Aura, and you use a Mith Tower, whereas I just use a Mith Heavy, but the rest is pretty much the same. Kinda like I have the more offensive build and you went the more defensive way of the same build. I was planning on making a tank very much like yours, but realized I don't like to tank, I like to kill :)

Vinos
08-14-2007, 06:50 AM
Actually +5 mith FP can be harder to get than raid gear in some cases. To the other poster haste gives a +1 dodge bonus to AC.

Malachi_Stormlight2
08-14-2007, 11:41 AM
Yea, when I calculate AC I like to use complete Base. Anyone in the world can buff with pots/spells/other peoples auras and the like. This is a base AC without raid gear and non dispelable/relying on others to cast on you/or pots quaffed.

If you want to add in all the possible buffs it shoots past 60 easy, and a few raid items gets it buffed and raided near 70. I just like the base

As far as the Mith FP I really dont know I have had my sets for quite a while. Seems everyone has high end tradeable items these days for a set of mith fp. And god knows all the batmen builds had to stop wearing theirs after the update a few months ago. I built his for myself with gear I have or can easily be attained.

I actually also ran an AC heavy tank with intimidate and combat expertise but that was back when cap was 10. At that point I didnt use combat expertise too much as it was not needed. However with the Elite content out there and eventual new levels coming where things will have an even higher to hit I thought it would be nice to try it out again.

I also have a couple of characters who are DPS heavy with power attack. I even considered working PA into this build but so far I am opting to go defensive heavy. Its fun to intimidate and save the party from damage while allowing full dps from others. Intimi tanks are pretty rare on my server too. In fact the main reason why I feel comfortable with expertise now is that our characters to hit are so good vs the mobs that I know from experience when I have power attack on I still dont miss the mobs on elite. So I could just as easily take the -5 hit to my attack score and still not miss mobs while gaining the AC.

Id like to see if I can get this guy to a point where the Titan or Reaver or the next raid boss go whiff whiff, that will probably take buffing and may or may not take raid gear we will see lol :)

Why use the Nat AC ring, and not the Barkskin potion? Do those stack? I assume not. Add in a Haste, and if my assumptions are correct, that is an extra 2 AC.

I have Combat Expertise on my Tank, but really don't like using it. If I am going to take a hit to my Attack, I'd rather it go to Power Attack. But, I am a melee orientated tank, that has a high AC. The only time I will use Combat Expertise is when I am fighting things that hit like a mack truck. The Chaos Hound in Xoriat comes to mind.

Fully buffed with a Pld in group I hit 51 AC. 56 with Expertise, though its rarely used. The area you have me on is the Dex, and the Pld Aura, and you use a Mith Tower, whereas I just use a Mith Heavy, but the rest is pretty much the same. Kinda like I have the more offensive build and you went the more defensive way of the same build. I was planning on making a tank very much like yours, but realized I don't like to tank, I like to kill :)

Irongutz2000
08-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Dude I will tell u this as far as the reaver going whiff, whiff, whiff, good luck onn that. Azrealla has a 54 ac unbuffed an have been buffed to like 60's an the guy stil hits me , like i am wearing paper lol :) onn leet of course but....still.

Averroes
08-15-2007, 10:32 AM
Dude I will tell u this as far as the reaver going whiff, whiff, whiff, good luck onn that. Azrealla has a 54 ac unbuffed an have been buffed to like 60's an the guy stil hits me , like i am wearing paper lol :) onn leet of course but....still.

The reaver only has about a +40 attack on elite...

Check your combat log. You're probably taking lightning damage.

Drink electric pro potions and you should almost never take damage in there.

The real challenge is getting those black and red trolls to miss you. They make the reaver look like a panzy.

Malachi_Stormlight2
08-15-2007, 03:27 PM
So on normal and hard your getting whiffs? fun :)

[

QUOTE=Irongutz2000;1298378]Dude I will tell u this as far as the reaver going whiff, whiff, whiff, good luck onn that. Azrealla has a 54 ac unbuffed an have been buffed to like 60's an the guy stil hits me , like i am wearing paper lol :) onn leet of course but....still.[/QUOTE]

Malachi_Stormlight2
08-15-2007, 03:29 PM
The reaver only has about a +40 attack on elite...

Check your combat log. You're probably taking lightning damage.

Drink electric pro potions and you should almost never take damage in there.

The real challenge is getting those black and red trolls to miss you. They make the reaver look like a panzy.

+40 eh.. nice That would actually be quite a few whiffs.

DaveyCrockett
08-16-2007, 11:18 AM
So you wear a con ring, a cha ring, and the invaders ring all at the same time? Pretty impressive.

Impaqt
08-16-2007, 12:43 PM
How are you getting to a 30 STR?

16Base +3 Levels +2 Fighter+6Item +2 Favor Tome =29

Why 2 Toughness Feats? Your an Intimitank..... WIth AC that High and so much Sheild Blocking DR, the 2nd TOughness feat seems like a complete waste. You have more thanenough h it poijnts without it.

WolfSpirit
08-16-2007, 12:48 PM
Another Uber-equiped Build that is special because of the items used.

A tome of every stripe, how special...

Looks good all decked out, how would it fare in a new persons hands without all the gear?

Averroes
08-16-2007, 03:18 PM

Looks good all decked out, how would it fare in a new persons hands without all the gear?

Intimitanks are far and away the most stat- and gear-dependant builds. They are not for new people.

Armor class is almost entirely gear. You can get 6 from feats, 4 from being a pally, and some from dex, but everything else is gear. At this point in the game, someone would be very hard pressed to get a build like this to the point where it can both deal and mitigate damage effectively without some rare and/or raid loot.

For someone with a couple of capped characters, nothing listed in the build is hard to attain. If you don't have mithral full plate and a tower, you can farm for white dragon armor and a madstone shield. The protection and natural armor items can be replaced by spells and potions.

Without all the gear, this build would get hit more and deal less damage. But so would any other. The difference is more significant with a build like this than with a wizard or a barbarian, but that's totally irrelevant to the discussion. Don't have a piece of gear? Subtract whatever bonus it gives you from the build...

And I count 29 strength as well.

I guess you could consider 15 base then, and move one point to charisma and one to con and plan for +2 tomes.

Maldini
08-17-2007, 02:43 PM
Actually +5 mith FP can be harder to get than raid gear in some cases. To the other poster haste gives a +1 dodge bonus to AC.

I used to think that until I pulled my 2nd set out of a PoP chest on Hard when I was level 12.

Malachi_Stormlight2
08-22-2007, 02:05 PM
Thanks for pointing out the math error on STR, your correct at current cap level it will be 29. At next cap raise +1 str at 15 will be 30. Or a +3 tome from the revised reaver raid could suffice too. In the mean time I have modified it back down to 29.

I also modified the Con to a belt vs rings thanks

Toughness two times is for sustaining damage while intimidating vs the hardest mobs or spells.

Malachi_Stormlight2
08-22-2007, 02:13 PM

It would have a few points less AC lol.. thats all. It would still be better then any other average build created by a new person without any gear.

And this wasnt MADE for a new person, it was made for me, with my gear, it was also made as a 32 point build.