PDA

View Full Version : Disinigrate

BrettVe
08-13-2007, 01:26 PM
Does death ward help me against this spell?

Symar-FangofLloth
08-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Nope, its untyped damage.

Lethelyn
08-13-2007, 01:28 PM
I'm not sure for certain, but I don't believe so. I believe Disintigrate is an "untyped" damage, instead of negative energy.

Anarchist
08-13-2007, 01:30 PM
The only thing that can save you is a really good reflex

Renegade66
08-13-2007, 01:32 PM
Does death ward help me against this spell?

Deathward doesn't help. It's a damage attack and not and insta-kill. Your best defense against disintegrate is dodging the beam. The Fire Giant in the Black Dragon room in Gianthold Tor is a great example. When you see him lifting his arms there's a good chance he's about to cast disintegrate on you. Simply start moving perpendicular from the direction he is facing and his beam will harmlessly fire wide. Unless of course someone else happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. :D

BrettVe
08-13-2007, 01:33 PM
Is there any items that could help protect me against this spell?

BrettVe
08-13-2007, 03:52 PM
Deathward doesn't help. It's a damage attack and not and insta-kill. Your best defense against disintegrate is dodging the beam. The Fire Giant in the Black Dragon room in Gianthold Tor is a great example. When you see him lifting his arms there's a good chance he's about to cast disintegrate on you. Simply start moving perpendicular from the direction he is facing and his beam will harmlessly fire wide. Unless of course someone else happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. :D

I am more concerned about beholders.

I had a umm fun *ahem* experience with them with my sorc the other day. And by fun I mean each party member was killed about 8 times before we could kill two beholders.

And no i don't have pk. I will defiantly be getting it soon. I just picked up a deathward robe to help with this. A bit disappointed to see that it will not help.

Oh and I never saw the beam. Someone was mentioning that they changed something making the beam auto hit.

Merjon
08-13-2007, 03:52 PM
Anything that increases your HP (so you can survive it) or anything that increases your reflex save so you can avoid it.

Past that, it's untyped damage so there isn't much that will help you directly mitigate the damage.

Strakeln
08-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Anything that increases your HP (so you can survive it) or anything that increases your reflex save so you can avoid it.I know someone said this above as well, but I'm pretty sure it's a Fortitude save, not a reflex save.

Yeah, here it is: A sickly green ray emanates forth, doing 2d6 damage per caster level to the target. Anything reduced to 0 hit points is disintegrated. A successful Fortitude save reduces this damage to 5d6.

Lethelyn
08-13-2007, 04:28 PM
Aye, it's a fort save, as the spell description quoted states.

Missing_Minds
08-14-2007, 08:43 AM
It is a fort save. Shesh.. one of the few things they get right on spells.

Now, being that it is a ray, it is possible to side step it. Baring that...

I can think of only 2 items that can save you against it.

1st are the beholder optic nervs IF and ONLY if the dis ray came from a beholder.

2nd is the Scarab of Spell Absorption.

The chance for Optic nerves come out of the Invaders end chest when the beholder is up.
The Scarab is a possible random drop out of any chest of a level approprate quest. I've seen this drop only once in the many months I've been playing.

Ekental
08-14-2007, 08:47 AM
Your best bet really is to bunny hop, get behind the beholder, nail it. Disintegrate is obnoxiously slow as a ray.

Vodac
08-14-2007, 09:17 AM
Is there any items that could help protect me against this spell?

yes the quest acrost from WW cant remember the name its level 10 or 11 dungeon the item is a beholder eye is a ramdom drop from the last room and has 8 charges that cansle beholder attacks.

blakbyrd
08-14-2007, 12:36 PM
To defend against it relies largely on luck.

1. Have a high fort save (luck of the dice)
2. Moving out of the way of the beam (luck in timing and other factors)
3. A very high Spell Resistance (luck on the dice again)
4. Interrupting the mobs spell casting (exeptional luck if at all possible)

Other than that, there are no items that give resists to untyped damage. No items that offer protection from it, and no way to negate it.

Only side note to this is in regards to a beholder's casting of disentigrate. The beholder's optic nerves can stop it. Actually it stops any beholder spell, up to 8 per rest. However this only works against beholders, not anything else that can cast it.

Strakeln
08-14-2007, 01:06 PM
3. A very high Spell Resistance (luck on the dice again)Spell resistance does not impact DD spells, correct?

Missing_Minds
08-14-2007, 02:29 PM
3. A very high Spell Resistance (luck on the dice again)
4. Interrupting the mobs spell casting (exeptional luck if at all possible)

Other than that, there are no items that give resists to untyped damage. No items that offer protection from it, and no way to negate it.

3. INCORRECT. SR in DDO only effects mind effecting spells. It does NOTHING for damage spells.
4. You can not interrupt mods. If they are casting your ONLY hope is to kill them before they can get it off. 8 out of 10 times they still get it off it seems. Kobold shamans are noctorious for this with fog.

The only item that can protect, Blackyrd is the scarb that I mentioned. However, it is also a non recharging item, that when used up turns to dust. The chances of finding it are pretty much similar to that of finding a sunblade. So your options of 1 and 2 are the better bets.

Of course, Black, we both forget option 5). Stand behind something or someone and let them take the hit for you. :)