PDA

View Full Version : Spell / Weapon Crits

transtemporal
08-12-2007, 10:44 PM
1) In PnP, you get a weapon crit by rolling within the threat range of the weapon, then confirming the crit by rolling enough to hit the creature. Is that they way work in DDO too?

2) There are no spell crits in PnP, so how do they work? Is it just a straight percentage chance or does it work like a weapon crit? I've noticed spell crits seem to be in rather odd percentage increments of 3%, rather than the 5% for a weapon crit.

Cheers,
transtemporal

Ghoste
08-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Ya. it's just a d100 roll when the spell is cast.

smodge13
08-12-2007, 11:27 PM
1) In PnP, you get a weapon crit by rolling within the threat range of the weapon, then confirming the crit by rolling enough to hit the creature. Is that they way work in DDO too?

2) There are no spell crits in PnP, so how do they work? Is it just a straight percentage chance or does it work like a weapon crit? I've noticed spell crits seem to be in rather odd percentage increments of 3%, rather than the 5% for a weapon crit.

Cheers,
transtemporal

if you read complete arcane, in pnp you do get crits on "weaponlike" spells, so anything with an attack roll.

in ddo its different you need to have enhancements/items to get the crits

Lorien_the_First_One
08-13-2007, 07:06 AM
if you read complete arcane, in pnp you do get crits on "weaponlike" spells, so anything with an attack roll.

in ddo its different you need to have enhancements/items to get the crits

Well that's an optional rule.... and if you impliment it there should also be critical spell failures which we don't have in DDO.

dragnmoon
08-13-2007, 07:17 AM
Well that's an optional rule.... and if you impliment it there should also be critical spell failures which we don't have in DDO.

Actually, (unless we are talking about a different rule) Crits are not an optional rule in PnP on Spells(Techincally all rules are optional depending on GM). It is a set rule as placed in the Players Guide 3.5 Page 140 in the Crit Hits section. Any Spell with a roll to hit that you roll a 20 on and then confirm is a Critical with a x2 Multi.

But as already stated DDO does not use Attack rolls on Spells (Wish they did) So they do them differently, You can crit on a lot more spell in DDO then you could in the PnP Verison. Currently I believe the best you can get is a 18% crit rate in DDO.

Symar-FangofLloth
08-13-2007, 08:16 AM
So, yes, weapon crits are the same as tabletop, and spell crits are just a % chance. Unles you have an enhancement or an item that grats a chance, you won't get any crits.

transtemporal
08-13-2007, 08:33 PM
Interesting, thanks guys. Next question is:

Are creatures that are immune to crits from weapons immune to crits from spells?

The_Cataclysm
08-13-2007, 08:56 PM
Interesting, thanks guys. Next question is:

Are creatures that are immune to crits from weapons immune to crits from spells?

No, because they are two very different things.

A weapon crit is striking a vital spot.

A spell crit is a surge in magical energy causing the spell to do more damage.

transtemporal
08-14-2007, 05:46 PM
No, because they are two very different things.

A weapon crit is striking a vital spot.

A spell crit is a surge in magical energy causing the spell to do more damage.

Thanks Cataclysm, that gives me a flavour explanation which is cool. That makes sense. Does anyone know if the difference between the two is explained in the manual? If I was completely new to the DDO game, I might wonder why one type of crit affects undead, while another doesn't.