PDA

View Full Version : blown trap in the aurum lair of Fondation of Discord

drachine
08-12-2007, 12:24 PM
was kind of shocked to blow a trap in "Foundation of Discord" on elite. i don't remember the last time this toon Siith (9th level rogue/5th level wizard) blew any trap in the game.

You make a disable check. You roll 5 (+49) critical failure. :(

that means the DC is well above a 54 on elite to disable. each failure even if you don't blow risks another roll for a critical failure. i don't think i missed any bonuses.

17 skill ranks
7 intelligence 24 bonus
3 rogue action boost
4 greater heroism
7 thieves tools +5
11 ring of disabling +11 (best i could find so far for this toon, i guess i need to look for better?)

49 total of all considered bonuses

does anyone know the DC on this trap?

i have been stockpiling house Deneith potions and collectibles in case i run into this situation which i never have before now. i guess it's time i start carrying them around just for such an occasion? that will be the last time i go into a lv 16 quest and not use them. i will say that. even if i had used one, that would have brought my skill boost to only +52 which on this trap is still a potential chance for critical failure.

maybe i'll even drop 3 enhancement points in there as well if i can pull them from somewhere pushing it to 55? not sure what else to do besides drag prayer scrolls along, focusing chant scrolls if they are available or respec for way of the mechanic instead of assassin. this seems excessive to me. would rather have to the +2 to sneak attacks +20 to confirm honestly. anyone else having issues with this?

this trap is located outside a room where many aurum are up on the ledges and a secret door on top of the library opens to a fairly nasty fight. it's a lightning trap that is not that hard to avoid, but killed the caster in the party. typically that is who dies when traps go off, casters. no evasion and few hit points = a quick death.

i think this and the trap in "A Cabal For One" maybe be the toughest in the game. anyone know the DC on that?

any others i should be aware of?

SableShadow
08-15-2007, 02:08 AM
That's a good data point; you may want to enter it in this (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=51829) thread on trap/lock DCs.

+13s aren't that hard to find now; there's at least 5 on the AH at this moment.

Forgive my asking, but any chance you might be mistaken on the total? As in the 5 (+49) is straight out of your rolls window, and you didn't accidentally have some item non-equipped or a status effect on your character at the time?

Hvymetal
08-15-2007, 03:15 AM
Blew the same trap w/ my lv 12 Halfling Rogue, total bonus was +48, didn't think to look at what the roll was, next time I'm in I'll check.

cforce
08-16-2007, 06:49 AM
Someone pegged that trap as a 61 DC on Elite (second highest after Cabal trap), meaning you'd need a +56 modifier to avoid any chance of blowing the trap.

SableShadow
08-17-2007, 12:38 AM
Someone pegged that trap as a 61 DC on Elite (second highest after Cabal trap), meaning you'd need a +56 modifier to avoid any chance of blowing the trap.

Good to know; thanks, cforce! :)