PDA

View Full Version : Aren't Kobolds Reptillian? (FE question)

Khurse
08-12-2007, 10:59 AM
Hi All-quick question

Just created a Ranger to see how I'd like it, chose Reptillian as my Favoured Enemy,-but don't seem to be getting any bonus to hit (in combat it shows as a +5 on the die roll when I'm fighting them, which is the same as when i fight anything else)- does FE not kick in until 2nd level?

Just curious as I'm pretty sure another character found a crossbow of reptillian bane which (iirc) got the bane die roll on damage when he shot kobolds.

Ilontu
08-13-2007, 11:10 AM
Yes, Kobolds are reptillian.

Note, without enhancements (which aren't available until later levels) Favored Enemy does not give a bonus to attack. Unmodified by enhancements, it is simply a bonus to damage; +2 at lv 1-4.

Also unlike bane weapons, it will not show two damage numbers popping up above enemies when you damage them either.

Since the combat log only shows total damage and not the actual dice results (unless that option is available and I just have it turned off) the best way to tell if you're getting the damage bonus is to attack some reptillians and some non-reptillians a bunch of times and note the damage spread. I recommend using a weapon with a low spread (smaller damage die) like a bare fist.

You should notice the damage spread is shifted 2 points higher with kobolds as compared to, say, spiders. (ie 3-5 against spiders, 5-7 against kobolds).

baylensman
08-13-2007, 12:07 PM
Read my sig line.

Kobolds are the black stuff stuck between the toes of a Warforged...

HARG HARG HARG (WF laughter)

Khurse
08-13-2007, 11:12 PM
Ahh thanks- thought it was a bonus to hit for some reason.

Vinos
08-13-2007, 11:35 PM
With enhancements it will be a bonus to hit but I don't think they become available till level 5 or so.

Sue_Dark
08-16-2007, 11:24 AM
With enhancements it will be a bonus to hit but I don't think they become available till level 5 or so.

Actually since the enhancement change, they FE enhancements come up at varying levels starting at L2. IIRC, attack was at L3, while damage and resist were at L2. Not 100% on those levels tho I do know they were before L5 (my latest build is just now L5 and has had them a while)

Roguewiz
08-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Improvised Weapon Feat + Kobold = devastating :)

Too bad the feat doesn't exist in DDO. :(