PDA

View Full Version : D&D Good as WOW?

Urala
08-11-2007, 04:42 PM
I am a REAL big world of warraft player. Is this game just as good?

Belfalcon
08-11-2007, 04:52 PM
all depends on what you are looking for I played WoW for 2 years and loved wow i was in a end game raiding guild.. but for ME DDO was much better.

Oeuf
08-11-2007, 04:57 PM
Depends what your definition of "good" is. If you want a game where the average gamer is a little more mature, with a more interactive combat system then yeah it is better. Do you come from a D'n'D background? Then yeah its better.

Just try it. You like it, well cool. If not, then leave. Hopefully $15 bucks a month will not break your bank roll.

I've played WoW before, and am playing LoTRO now as well. But my favourite is definitely DDO. But then I'm in a rockin guild with a bunch of people I enjoy questing with. That's what makes the game for me.

:cool:

DemonMage
08-11-2007, 05:47 PM
It's just as good in an overarching kind of way, but it's very different, so other than a gut sort of feeling, it's hard to make a great 1:1 comparison of various points.

10-day Trial should give people enough of a taste of the general idea of the gameplay so that they know whether it's worth their money for a month's value. Pick it up, have your friends pick it up, and decide for yourself if it's as good as WoW (or <insert game here>) for your style and tastes.

Cowdenicus
08-11-2007, 08:53 PM
I would say DDO beats WoW or EQ2 or CoV (I had accounts on all 3) on everything except amount of content.

Snike
08-11-2007, 09:31 PM
apple and oranges

Symar-FangofLloth
08-11-2007, 10:01 PM
apple and oranges

Totally.

If I were to say anything, I'd say WoW is a complete pile of ****, and isn't worthy to be compared to DDO. But thats me. :D On the other hand, I do enjoy LotRO somewhat, but I think the difference between LotRo and WoW is the existence of a story. WoW jsut felt like running around, killing random stuff for random quest givers to try to get to the next level to do more of the same. LotRO and DDO have stories and backgrounds in detail. Most people tend to ignore them sadly, and just zoom on by. You should be able to get people to take it slow with you though, and can enjoy the feel of the game.

Tavok
08-11-2007, 11:38 PM
Totally.

If I were to say anything, I'd say WoW is a complete pile of ****, and isn't worthy to be compared to DDO. But thats me. :D On the other hand, I do enjoy LotRO somewhat, but I think the difference between LotRo and WoW is the existence of a story. WoW jsut felt like running around, killing random stuff for random quest givers to try to get to the next level to do more of the same. LotRO and DDO have stories and backgrounds in detail. Most people tend to ignore them sadly, and just zoom on by. You should be able to get people to take it slow with you though, and can enjoy the feel of the game.

Hmm... cause in DDO you don't run around and kill random stuff for random quest givers. I'm sure you called the Kundark dude in the VoNs and arranged something that would end your ass up in space fighting a dragon. Not random. Right.

Hvymetal
08-12-2007, 05:06 AM
Hmm... cause in DDO you don't run around and kill random stuff for random quest givers. I'm sure you called the Kundark dude in the VoNs and arranged something that would end your ass up in space fighting a dragon. Not random. Right.

Really though if people actually took the time there are various story lines going on that continue from quest to quest, just most people don't take the time to actually read the text.

moorewr
08-12-2007, 09:08 AM

Better! Far better!

Well, I think so at any rate.

Melthus
08-12-2007, 10:54 AM
Having come from an EQ1 background, played wow a little then ddo, I would say the biggest difference between wow and ddo is resources (aside from the fighting system).

In both ddo and wow, individual monsters are weaker than they were in EQ1. In EQ, the primary trick was to split the mobs, so that you could fight one or two at a time. Wading into the middle of twelve level appropriate mobs, swinging wildly would have been instant death. The difference is that in DDO, you have to deal with all the monsters in a quest, with only the resources (spell points, hp, etc) that you start with, or can get from a recharge in the shrine.

So DDO balances having easier to kill monsters, with having to conserve resources as you do it. In wow, there is no resource limit. The monsters are easy, but if you blow all your mana on one mob, it'll fill back up for the next fight. So, the way I see it, wow is too easy. DDO has better balance, because you cannot just full tilt blast every mob, as it leaves you weak for the rest of the quest.

That is a comparison of the group game as I see it. The raid game would be another story entirely. Sicne I have not raided in DDO, I leave that to others.

Ghoste
08-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Big difference between the two games. After playing this one, I tried out WoW. Should have just gone with the trial membership, I didnt like it at all.

Uska
08-12-2007, 12:42 PM
Most people who truly like wow dont like this game as they are very different people who like ddo's combat system cant stand wow's I would say get a trial and try it you may like it

Uska
08-12-2007, 12:42 PM

Umm you dont ever pay attention to what the npc's are saying do ya... there is a overall story and plot might not be the best written one but its there more than I really can say for wow.

Blind_Skwerl
08-12-2007, 02:29 PM
I beta'd WoW, and have played DDO since it went live. Although I liked WoW, it felt like I was running a toddler cartoon character around. If I want to build a character up to be amazingly powerful with awe inspiring performance, I'd preffer he didn't look like a muppet baby.

Symar-FangofLloth
08-12-2007, 02:44 PM

Actually, yeah I did. It was arranged by the leader of the Laughing Knives, who, on commission from Mr. Kundarak was to "infiltrate" the bank to stop Velah the "sorceress" from stealing the dragonshards. Of course, in order to help this process along (I don't want MY stored dragonshards stolen, thank you.) I had to reunite his group, and then assist in the actual "infiltration." The fact it ends up on a pocket plane orbiting Eberron is incidental.

Some quest givers may seem random, but the things we kill are not, at least.

Lebrac
08-12-2007, 05:23 PM

THis is my 2 cents on this

WOW advantage. HUGE playerbase and TONS of questing and Farming content.

DDO advantage.

FAST paced u never fall asleep in quests like u can in wow because eather a: you never really stop doing someting to move forward in the quest or B: someone screams at u over voice chat

VOICE CHAT as part of the game... HUGE very cool thing to just be able to chat with your group as things are needed instead of trying to type or get eveyone one the same chat program server.

Honestly me personaly i played wow for the 1st year it was out or right around there then quit... i just did my 10 day free trial of the expansion like a month ago and found the came way to slow paced. being able to type out full conversations in the middle of battle playing a playy who is attacking things and the only healer in the group is preaty weak. there is alot more to each game that i listed i just listing the BIGGEST selling points on the 2 games that i have.

hannika
08-12-2007, 09:43 PM
I beta'd WoW, and have played DDO since it went live. Although I liked WoW, it felt like I was running a toddler cartoon character around. If I want to build a character up to be amazingly powerful with awe inspiring performance, I'd preffer he didn't look like a muppet baby.

hehe i <3 you

DemonMage
08-12-2007, 10:02 PM
VOICE CHAT as part of the game... HUGE very cool thing to just be able to chat with your group as things are needed instead of trying to type or get eveyone one the same chat program server.

This is currently on the Test Server for WoW, and goes live with (I'm assuming) their next patch. Though both DDO, and WoW need to add volume normalization =-(

Bunzy
08-13-2007, 10:55 AM
From what I've heard, WoW sounds alot like a more slightly more complex version of MapleStory, which I played for years. But I don't anymore. Like DDO more. It was too kiddish.

Darkwolf
08-13-2007, 11:10 AM
OP: Considering you are asking on a DDO forum you ar egoing to get very skewed answers.

IMO DDO is far better than WoW. I beta'd both games and played both to end-game (Which was 60 when I quit WoW).

Reasons: Mainly the active combat, followed closely by the graphics and character custimazation options.

Take it for a test ride. Everyone has different opinions and while I value my own, there are about 9 million WoW subscribers who think differently.

Tequila
08-16-2007, 10:24 AM
I'm a long time D&D PnP player so I'm a little biased but I did try WOW and still actually have a subscription but I play and enjoy DDO much more. I think you have much more control in your character development with DDO and a mature playing group overall. Plus as someone said the graphics for the characters in WOW is a bit more cartoonish :rolleyes: But the world in which you play in is quite larger in WOW. There are many differences if you break the games down.

I say try both trial memberships and make your own decision but for me I'd have to say if a choice had to be made I'd stick with DDO.

Good luck,
Tequila

Roguewiz
08-16-2007, 10:51 AM
No, DDO isn't better than WoW. For two simple reasons:

1. Lack of Content
2. Level 14 level cap.

If the cap was higher, then I'd say DDO was better. However, it would have to be level 20 and have prestige classes in order to do it. As it stands now, once you cap out, you'd probably have most of the quests completed on Elite. And after a few raids, you have the best gear for your build/class.

Now, if you asked which game do I enjoy more, I'd have to say DDO. Mainly because I love designing my characters, playing them, and testing out their overall power/potential.

I'll probably continue to play DDO until: My friends get bored, Tabula Rasa comes out, or my brother finally talks me into switching back to WoW.

rimble
08-16-2007, 11:06 AM

If you really REALLY like WoW, I doubt you'd like DDO.

Quartzite
08-16-2007, 12:29 PM
I play DDO rather than WoW after being a long-term WoW player for one main reason- there's less content. Overall I was able to immerse myself into WoW, but that level of immersion overtook my life. I can take or leave DDO. I feel no comittment to it. I make characters for fun, my max is a level 6 so far! But I love planning and strategising about character builds and making them work. It's something I can do totally casually.

I don't like DDO content, it's a hack-and-slash zerg fest with no real synergy of abilities. No predictability to allow you to manipulate the fights with strategy. Everything's luck and build based. In WoW you have CC that actually helps manipulate the fight and a WIDE range of abilities that are unique on a per-class level. Of course, once you know the strategies for WoW fights they become boring, too, but I just wish there was more strategy to DDO than "if we pull and fight in the doorway we'll die less". Stunning blow, Sap, and even spell-CC like hypno and Otto's are either too limited in scope (one mob out of 7), or too unpredictable. Tanks are able to get away with being morons in DDO, in WoW if you tank doesn't play defensively, the entire group dies. Aggro is nowhere near as controlled in DDO.

And for PvP DDO is totally build/ luck based. CC is totally overpowered and classes aren't balanced at all. The tavern brawls are mindless fun, but hardly WoW arena (one of the strengths of the game right now- Blizzard has always been about international competitive gaming).

So it really depends what you want. I am enjoying DDO right now and wouldn't return to WoW. I enjoy DDO more as a casual player than I would WoW. WoW is too hardcore, too immersive, you need to play too much to do well in WoW. DDO I can take or leave. But it really isn't a "better" game, I just enjoy it more right now.

Plynx
08-16-2007, 10:49 PM
Just to correct what appears to be a frequent misconception--DDO has more content than WoW. I figure that all the "collect 20 bear butt" quests with a 1% drop rate are not actual content. WoW has more wilderness zones, but fewer actual instances, and much less diversity of gameplay in those instances. What WoW does to create the illusion of more content is painfully space things out more--more time between quests (wilderness travel, griffin flights)--more time between fights (drinking, eating)--more time between levels (and fewer actual new abilities when you do)--basically lots of time between anything meaningful and rewarding. In DDO you spend more time engaged in the actual game. You can consume content faster. But there is more *of it* in DDO.

Quartzite
08-16-2007, 11:00 PM
Just to correct what appears to be a frequent misconception--DDO has more content than WoW. I figure that all the "collect 20 bear butt" quests with a 1% drop rate are not actual content. WoW has more wilderness zones, but fewer actual instances, and much less diversity of gameplay in those instances. What WoW does to create the illusion of more content is painfully space things out more--more time between quests (wilderness travel, griffin flights)--more time between fights (drinking, eating)--more time between levels (and fewer actual new abilities when you do)--basically lots of time between anything meaningful and rewarding. In DDO you spend more time engaged in the actual game. You can consume content faster. But there is more *of it* in DDO.

There's far more unique content in WoW than DDO. Even including the instances. DDO is sewer after sewer after sewer. Every instance in WoW is totally unique. Raid content makes up a large part of that, too. There's more instances in DDO, but not more content.

Uska
08-17-2007, 12:53 AM
There's far more unique content in WoW than DDO. Even including the instances. DDO is sewer after sewer after sewer. Every instance in WoW is totally unique. Raid content makes up a large part of that, too. There's more instances in DDO, but not more content.

Maybe wow has more but none of it is interesting in the slightest. Cant understand how that thing got some many people hooked but it made me swear off buying another blizzard product ever.

Aranticus
08-17-2007, 01:22 AM

sewer? last i knew, SC, gwlan are outdoor quests. wizking is set in a pyramid where players go up, not down. TS (raid) has caves and outdoor. many of the GH quests are in hills, TR is in a gorge. von5 is in a bank and von6 (raid) is on a platform up in the sky. sewer? i think you lack the imagination that is required of in DnD. do note the DDO is based on DUNGEONS and dragons and not wow

Cheg
08-17-2007, 01:24 AM
THis is my 2 cents on this

WOW advantage. HUGE playerbase and TONS of questing and Farming content.

DDO advantage.

FAST paced u never fall asleep in quests like u can in wow because eather a: you never really stop doing someting to move forward in the quest or B: someone screams at u over voice chat

Honestly me personaly i played wow for the 1st year it was out or right around there then quit... i just did my 10 day free trial of the expansion like a month ago and found the came way to slow paced. being able to type out full conversations in the middle of battle playing a playy who is attacking things and the only healer in the group is preaty weak. there is alot more to each game that i listed i just listing the BIGGEST selling points on the 2 games that i have.

I'd like to add i once fell asleep during the Wizard King. :)

It was 3am though

I logged on the next day to a ribbing from my guild.

WolfSpirit
08-17-2007, 07:38 AM

100% agreement here.
Plynx has this one down.

How many times have you first walked into a boss encounter in DDO and just gasped outloud...
WHOA!!!
I have, my first was Sorjak(sp?) the Storm Giant in TS. Several times after too, Beholders still hold my attention closely.

Now in WoW:
You have to ask yourself, how much of your real life with your real friends and family have you given up Just to "Get to where your going" in Grind games like WoW.
How much have you given up after killing 700 Killer Sunflowers just to gather 200 flower petals, only to have them say, "Now go across the Continent and gather 500 Bee Wings from the fearsome Bumbly Buzzers"
Ok, feeling brain washed?
Tired of running within a Cartoon?
Have fun with that!

DDO may forever have a small population, but you will find a very dedicated one. A populace that is closer to the developers and get much more of what they are wanting than any other MMORPG. Though many complain, do you truly think that no matter how much you post in a WoW forum you will get anything looked at?
Much has been changed, fixed, or Balanced because this small population is in a majority agreement. Not every time, but quite often. Which is more often than any other MMO I know of.

D&DO is a great and very fun game. The best character customization possible, Super combat system and realistic well balanced/established monsters and characters that have stood the test of time.
One of the reasons D&D may be with a small population is its suffering from lack of major advertisement and overall Marketing.

If we remain supportive of our game, our DDO, Perhaps in a year or so there will be a Major release of a purchasable upgrade.
Who wants to pay for more, you ask?
Well I don't want to buy an expansion either, but I will.
Why?
Because its the only way to market a product and give it the coverage and major advertisement it needs and certainly deserves.
A HUGE reason that Blizzard Entertainment has been so successful with its Evergrind WoW.

Zenako
08-17-2007, 08:13 AM
The poster who complained about DDO being nothing but sewers also indicated that he has many toons up to about level 6, which means to me that he has barely gone beyond the Harbor and Marketplace settings, and those areas are mostly underground tunnels and sewers.

There is a VERY good design reason for that. Underground encounters constrain the battlefield to only a few dimensions, which makes it much easier to fight the battles and control the action. The mobs are "in front of you", not bursting out of the bushes or trees behind you and pounding on your squishies!! Once the players have learned and mastered more nuances about the game, head to the wilderness or other settings.

This however does not explain how he missed the Cereaulean Hills or places like Irestone or Kobold Assault...

DDO and WoW are very different game experiences, with only a few things in common. Both are MMO, both are set in a Fantasy setting, and both have some ardent fans. IMO, the shear mass of players in WoW is a non issue from a gameplay perspective, since you only play with some of them at a time, once you get past some level of critical mass. WoW is the evolution of MMO to the current state. DDO is the evolution of RPG's into an MMO. How many times have players asked for real time D&D. For games like Baldur's gate to be more dynamic and multiplayer. NWN was the next Gen in this evolution and DDO is the latest stage.

DDO is the closest thing to a real time dynamic combat system I have seen implemented to date. There are many tactics and strategys and things can be controlled. To the poster who inferred otherwise, I would suggest you have not seen very many well played characters or been in effective groups if that is your impression of the game system. Trip works quite well. Crowd control can be VERY effective. There are threads on these boards complaining about how overly effective CC is by some characters.

As for the person complaining about capping at level 14. I don't know about you, but once characters can a) Raise the dead, and b) Create Instant Kill Spell effects, everything after that is really just incremental changes. Those benchmarks in spell abilities mark the turning point of most games and of most PnP D&D games. Before those points, strategy and tactics are a lot more vital to party success, after those points, you can overcome sloppy play with Raises and overwhelming spell attacks. With the Rank system for enhancements, It really seems like a lot more than 14 levels, closer to 4 times that since you have many opportunities to enhance the abilities of your character along the way.

For me DDO is the answer, every other system I have seen falls short in some fundamental areas for what I seek out of a MMO to devote time and energy into.

Tenkari_Rozahas
08-17-2007, 08:21 AM
I like DDO more, I tried WoW.... seems more like world of cartoons to me... the chars were just too cartoonie for me.

XFracture
08-17-2007, 09:07 AM

Lemme put it to you as simple as possible.

DDO is basically end game WoW. Wherein WoW you spend a good 90-95% of your time solo'ing your toon to end game content (basically because it's more time efficient) and then you spend the rest of your time grouping up for raids... DDO cuts all that BS out.

Less down time, faster grouping and more actual gaming. And the raiding in DDO is much more fun. Puzzle's, actual strat and good ole fashioned group fun is what you see in DDO. As opposed to the mind numbing boring key crushing that I spent oh so many wasted hours doing in WoW. When a raid turns sour in WoW you spend a good long amount of time recovering. DDO we only need to worry about 12 at most.

However DDO has no REAL PvP system though, which is what I miss most about WoW.

I think it's a fair trade off though.

Neferi
08-17-2007, 05:35 PM
How much have you given up after killing 700 Killer Sunflowers just to gather 200 flower petals, only to have them say, "Now go across the Continent and gather 500 Bee Wings from the fearsome Bumbly Buzzers"

I'm pretty sure there was only one killer sunflower in WoW while I was playing :D

I'd like to add that DDO beats the pants off WoW when it comes to interesting and varied gameplay. Although all I did in WoW was PvP, the targeting system and the boring mechanics made it a tedious excercise in macro writing, mod updating, and bar watching. I've been pushing this game on my friends ever since I started playing it, especially the one who are still stuck in WoW's slime pit :p

Tenkari_Rozahas
08-17-2007, 06:05 PM
I'm pretty sure there was only one killer sunflower in WoW while I was playing :D

I'd like to add that DDO beats the pants off WoW when it comes to interesting and varied gameplay. Although all I did in WoW was PvP, the targeting system and the boring mechanics made it a tedious excercise in macro writing, mod updating, and bar watching. I've been pushing this game on my friends ever since I started playing it, especially the one who are still stuck in WoW's slime pit :p

when i was on my WoW trial, i tried a Dark Elf Rogue.... i was level 2-3, and was challenged to a duel by a 5-6 mage.... I kicked his ass, it was immediately then that i knew DDO was better.... those guys seemed to think just because they were higher level that they were better than everyone lower level.

Quartzite
08-18-2007, 01:52 AM
This however does not explain how he missed the Cereaulean Hills or places like Irestone or Kobold Assault...

Oh I did them, they hardly have the variety of WoW instances. WoW grinding is a bore, but in DDO the instances ARE the grind. WoW instances are a break from grinding, so they are fresh. And it's funny how you mention Kobold Assault "kill 200 kobolds" is hardly a break from the grind WoW offers now, is it?

Tangleroot, Deleras, Catacombs, The Pit (that was fun), Greymoon, WW, StK, Stormcleave, Gwylan's. I've done all the major instances from level 1 to level 7 (now). I've done the entire Harbour and Marketplace. Despite superficial differences the combat based instances are all the same because characters all have the same limited number of abilities and enemies always come in zerg like groups. Aggro is loose and unreliable, most tanks don't take intimidate. CC takes the same amount of time as it takes to kill a creature. Fights aren't controlled in the same way they are in WoW. Combat in DDO feels loose, and sloppy.

Now, I prefer DDO for what I want in a game at the moment, but I like both games and I'll defend both games. DDO has amazing character creation flexibility. I love the people in DDO. I find it a fun game to play casually. But to say that it's a better game than WoW I think misses the mark. WoW has had millions of dollars behind it, it's a far more polished game in so many ways. Everything from the character sheet, to the auction-house, to the ability to include custom UI mods, is more polished and better than DDO. PvP is more than just luck- it is mostly balanced. The game is more refined and controlled. In DDO there is little to no control. And you can win without control. Sure there are some intimitanks, CC Sorcs and Bards, and sneak attack fighters that bring control, but in WoW every pull is paced, aggro is solid and a well played group can ensure that no-one dies. Very hard to ensure the same thing in DDO, a lucky hold and crit string= dead.

The nature of the game is so different to WoW. I don't mind the randomness, I like the D20 roll-based system. But it is really about bringing PnP to the screen rather than making a solid MMO that can stand in its own rights. Why do you think the majority of players are PnP players? No-one that hasn't had an interest in PnP likes DDO, and with good reason. Myself- it's a great fun hobby I have now, but it is hardly in the same calibur as WoW.

Nikodaemon
08-18-2007, 09:30 AM
Every1 posted all my bullets... 2 many quotes 2 post all my supporting prop's to Turbine & DDO. This mmo is my current 'choice' :cool: & def beats wow.

Then again, i am biased. :eek: But while we still add 2 this post, jr (the originator) prob never returned 2 read our responses... :)

Guildmaster_Kadish
08-18-2007, 09:27 PM

I 100% agree with this here. An excellent point, and one that many people don't understand (mainly because they don't even bother thinking about it).

Master Kadish

Uska
08-18-2007, 10:32 PM
Oh I did them, they hardly have the variety of WoW instances. WoW grinding is a bore, but in DDO the instances ARE the grind. WoW instances are a break from grinding, so they are fresh. And it's funny how you mention Kobold Assault "kill 200 kobolds" is hardly a break from the grind WoW offers now, is it?

Tangleroot, Deleras, Catacombs, The Pit (that was fun), Greymoon, WW, StK, Stormcleave, Gwylan's. I've done all the major instances from level 1 to level 7 (now). I've done the entire Harbour and Marketplace. Despite superficial differences the combat based instances are all the same because characters all have the same limited number of abilities and enemies always come in zerg like groups. Aggro is loose and unreliable, most tanks don't take intimidate. CC takes the same amount of time as it takes to kill a creature. Fights aren't controlled in the same way they are in WoW. Combat in DDO feels loose, and sloppy.

Now, I prefer DDO for what I want in a game at the moment, but I like both games and I'll defend both games. DDO has amazing character creation flexibility. I love the people in DDO. I find it a fun game to play casually. But to say that it's a better game than WoW I think misses the mark. WoW has had millions of dollars behind it, it's a far more polished game in so many ways. Everything from the character sheet, to the auction-house, to the ability to include custom UI mods, is more polished and better than DDO. PvP is more than just luck- it is mostly balanced. The game is more refined and controlled. In DDO there is little to no control. And you can win without control. Sure there are some intimitanks, CC Sorcs and Bards, and sneak attack fighters that bring control, but in WoW every pull is paced, aggro is solid and a well played group can ensure that no-one dies. Very hard to ensure the same thing in DDO, a lucky hold and crit string= dead.

The nature of the game is so different to WoW. I don't mind the randomness, I like the D20 roll-based system. But it is really about bringing PnP to the screen rather than making a solid MMO that can stand in its own rights. Why do you think the majority of players are PnP players? No-one that hasn't had an interest in PnP likes DDO, and with good reason. Myself- it's a great fun hobby I have now, but it is hardly in the same calibur as WoW.

Your joking right I dont care if wow is the most popular ever its the worst mmo I have ever seen its worse then swg-nge wow is great for people who really dont want to think tried to get into it twice and both times really had to force myself to play and that was regular play, then I tried some raids god what bore worse then ddo raids where some know it all is some idiot is trying to tell everyone what to do like the director of a movie is was all I could to do not to go leroy and try to get everyone killed all that work and I knew I would have to run the same raid hundreds of times to every have a chance of an item.....pvp boring all gear based utterly....ddox1000000000 over wow

Tavok
08-19-2007, 12:18 AM
Umm you dont ever pay attention to what the npc's are saying do ya... there is a overall story and plot might not be the best written one but its there more than I really can say for wow.

I understand the storyline behind the VoN series. What I am saying is that it is quite random that Merick (sp?) chooses you and your party to go fight a dragon in space, seems a bit random considering the usual lairs of dragons.

The_Cataclysm
08-19-2007, 09:00 AM
I understand the storyline behind the VoN series. What I am saying is that it is quite random that Merick (sp?) chooses you and your party to go fight a dragon in space, seems a bit random considering the usual lairs of dragons.

Velah is not meant to be in her usual lair since she broke into the vault to examine the dragonshards.

spifflove
08-19-2007, 12:22 PM
I love ddo but I hate ddo graphics. Yes wow had fewer choices for character design but the world itself was much more vibrant and much better done. It was more colorful and less muddy. You could wear boots and see the boots. Wear gloves and see the gloves. In effect you could choose your outfit. The costume design in ddo is ****. Pure and simple

I was on a wow trial and loved it. I bought ddo because i am a dnd fan. I tried it for 7 days and decided it was ****. I purchased a wow online. I never opened the box. It was the builds, you see, that sucked me in. In DDO you can be anything you want. The play is not loose and sloppy. It can be fine tuned to whatver you want it to be. Very unlike the Wow cookie cutter characters. The gameplay once you get used to it rocks. I will never go back to wow point and click and wait till the mob dies, hitting a few power shot buttons while im waiting, style of play.

The only thing I miss about wow besides the cool graphics is that you can solo along and make friends as you bump into them. In DDO you must belong to a guild. Finding a good guild can be difficult.

DDO could have good graphics but I think the programmers just are not doing their job.

Drider
08-19-2007, 03:39 PM
I love ddo but I hate ddo graphics. Yes wow had fewer choices for character design but the world itself was much more vibrant and much better done. It was more colorful and less muddy. You could wear boots and see the boots. Wear gloves and see the gloves. In effect you could choose your outfit. The costume design in ddo is ****. Pure and simple

I was on a wow trial and loved it. I bought ddo because i am a dnd fan. I tried it for 7 days and decided it was ****. I purchased a wow online. I never opened the box. It was the builds, you see, that sucked me in. In DDO you can be anything you want. The play is not loose and sloppy. It can be fine tuned to whatver you want it to be. Very unlike the Wow cookie cutter characters. The gameplay once you get used to it rocks. I will never go back to wow point and click and wait till the mob dies, hitting a few power shot buttons while im waiting, style of play.

The only thing I miss about wow besides the cool graphics is that you can solo along and make friends as you bump into them. In DDO you must belong to a guild. Finding a good guild can be difficult.

DDO could have good graphics but I think the programmers just are not doing their job.

What? Most of the people I know and some that have played WoW since launch dislike the graphics.

DDO's is way better then WoW's.

Ghoste
08-19-2007, 04:13 PM
For those that say WoW has more content than DDO...yes...if cookie cutter quests and leveling up amounting to gaining more powerful clones of the abilities you got in the first few levels is the kind of content you're looking for.

If on the other hand you are looking for in depth quests and character lelveling with complex abilities, then WoW doesnt come anywhere near DDO for content.

You really dont want to go wandering into dragon lairs in Eberron. To get to a dragon's lair you'd first have to make your way to the continent of Argonessen. And once you arrived there you would have to somehow avoid the attention of the thousands of dragons there who guard their continent in an organized manner using magic far stronger than even that of the ancient giant empire.

No, lvl 10 characters are better off finding Argonessen dragons out of their lairs.

gorloch
08-19-2007, 06:02 PM
100% agreement here.
Plynx has this one down.

How many times have you first walked into a boss encounter in DDO and just gasped outloud...
WHOA!!!
I have, my first was Sorjak(sp?) the Storm Giant in TS. Several times after too, Beholders still hold my attention closely.

Just want to add, I still love watching Velah fly up in the air.

PIXA

jcoffey
08-19-2007, 09:03 PM
Hmm both have thier good and bad points.

DDO can be tough to get a group if you arent the right class but then again WoW can have the same problem. =P Sadly I think it is more of a problem in DDO for that part.

I played D&D before a lot were even born but that was back when there wasnt a lot of competition and such,DDO classes are kinda lacking now in divercity and choices compared to WoW,imo at least.

I think Boss encounters are more complex in WoW,atm all I have seen in DDO is basically zergs.

Being a good players SOMETIMES helps but if they dont want your class then they dont want it.