PDA

View Full Version : Why can't people just play the game?

lostinjapan
08-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Okay, so I said some not so nice things to a member of our von 5 raid that I probably shouldn't have said.

However...

The punk had been being borderline obnoxious the entire raid up to that point, and then stepped way over past obnoxious right into derogatory. Pushed my buttons. I went off a bit and basically (in different terms of course) told him where to stick it.

I went afk afterward to cool off.

I came back from afk and the party leader had booted him out of the group. Now while you're thinking (and you're right) the party leader was my guild member...half the group wasn't. And everyone was saying thank you to the party leader including a guy in the same guild as the punk.

Afterward this punk kept sending me nasty tells for a half hour up until I finally squelched him. No reason to continue a nasty fight - I've got gaming to do.

Problem is, this guy knows who my alts are. He keeps sending nasty tells to characters I haven't squelched him with yet...until I squelch him with that character. He's threatened another officer in my guild with reporting me (yes, he obviously thinks he is innocent) for cussing back at him in voice chat. It's been over a week and it seems like this guy has nothing better to do than to continue to try and harass me.

Doesn't he have a game to play? I do.

Theris
08-11-2007, 02:08 PM
From the DDO Help Files at http://tinyurl.com/25zjus:

I am being harassed in-game. What should I do?

The first and most important step to dealing with harassment is to separate yourself from the person that is harassing you.

To do this, use the "/squelch add <playernamehere>" command (no quotes). This will sever the individual’s ability to communicate with you via text chat.

If you are being harassed in voice chat, you should remove the person from your party or leave the party yourself.

If you continue to be harassed, please contact In-Game Support for assistance.

Theris
08-11-2007, 02:11 PM
Another useful article from the DDO Help Files - http://tinyurl.com/rtxw9:

Dungeons & Dragons Online: Stormreach Harassment Policies

Dungeons & Dragons Online strives to create a fun, healthy and enjoyable gameplay experience for all players. To this end, Turbine holds a “Zero Tolerance” policy towards any form of player abuse or harassment.

The Dungeons & Dragons Online harassment policy details what Turbine considers player harassment as well as helpful steps to take to avoid potential abuse.

What is player harassment?

Player harassment is defined as an attempt by a player to cause distress, game disruption or to intentionally offend other Dungeons & Dragons Online players. Player harassment may come in many forms, but the underlying similarity between all harassment and abuse incidents is player intent. If the offending player’s actions are intentionally directed to cause disruption, grief or distress, no matter what the situation, this is considered player harassment.

What is not player harassment?

Player harassment is not defined as any of the following scenarios:

Voice chat
Legitimate use of the game mechanics to engage in a combat player vs. player (PvP) situation.
One-time use of inappropriate language in radial, group or private chat without the intent to cause distress.
Sharing between groups of a hunting area or monster despite one group having arrived before another (see Rules of Combat)

How do I avoid player harassment?

There are a number of Dungeons & Dragons Online game features and helpful gameplay tips that can be u til ized to help avoid potentially troublesome player harassment situations.Below are examples of these:

* Use the /squelch command! - The /squelch <player name> command in Dungeons & Dragons Online has been created to help players “squelch” the chat of players whom they do not wish to communicate with. The simple use of this command will effectively eliminate the chat of the specified player, including emote chat, and in most cases end a potentially unsettling incident.
* Talk to your fellow gamers- Harassment situations often arise due to players not communicating with each other. In the example of two fellowships hunting in the same monster area, talk to the other fellowship and layout a basic plan for how the two groups can hunt successfully, side by side.
* Do not engage in arguments! - Verbal arguments are not only a waste of time, leading nowhere constructive, but they also might open you to disciplinary action. The “he/she started it” defense holds no relevance with D&DO Support and therefore your account may be jeopardized simply for a useless verbal argument.
* Walk away - It may sound cliché, but walking away from a hostile player argument is often the best resolution. There are quests to be completed, mountains to be traversed, and powerful weapons to be forged! All of these experiences and more await players in Dungeons & Dragons Online. Why waste your time arguing with a player with all of these activities waiting?

How do I contact In-Game Support?

While In-game:

1. Click the Help Panel Button (The question mark Icon) next to the social panel button.
2. In the new panel that pops up click the Help Button.
3. After that input your issue into text box in the lower right hand corner.
4. Once you have summarized your problem click Submit.

As soon as an In-Game Representative is available, you will be contacted through the chat window in-game.

lostinjapan
08-11-2007, 02:23 PM
While I do appreciate the time and effort you put into those posts...I already knew it. Thank you though.

I just wanted to voice my lack of understanding of people like this. It baffles me how some individuals choose to act.

If it continues for another week (or grows worse) I'll put in a ticket...until then I'll just keep squelching and advise my guildmates he keeps contacting to do the same.

Ghoste
08-11-2007, 02:27 PM
I had this happen before, although I didnt end up cussing back at the guy. He ended up following me into another party after the incident happened. Like your situation, he also had a guildie in the group, and like your situation his guildie was very embarassed. I told him this reflects poorly on your guild, you may want to handle this internally. He told the guild leader about the incident, as well as reported the guy. Within a few days, the guild leader booted this guy and all his alts out of the guild, and I havent actually seen him on the server since.

Theris
08-11-2007, 02:59 PM
For people who harass others, its about power and control. When they "lose face" they see themselves as losing power & control. The natural reaction for people who lack social graces is to get revenge -- to regain power. It just angers them more when you ignore them, so they try harder. Its kind of sick, but its very instinctual.

XFracture
08-11-2007, 06:10 PM
Just send them a /b****Slap and squelch 'em. Don't let their inadequacies affect your gaming session. If you do, then they win and Xoriat hates winners. :mad:

Wait... no... how's that go again? :confused:

PaintHorseCowboy
08-11-2007, 06:40 PM
...until then I'll just keep squelching and advise my guildmates he keeps contacting to do the same.

Can you PM me this individual's name?

I'd like to /squelch him as well and add him to our guild's warning list.

Thanks -

Drak
08-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Please PM me the name so I can group with him and show him how to really be insulting.

XFracture
08-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Plz PM me his name so I can harass and slander him to no end. Both in and out of game.

Kthxbye

narizue
08-11-2007, 09:12 PM
PM here too plz... I hate players like that... Those on my /squelch list need more company.

Scarsgaard
08-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Lostinjapan...

Send me this punks name pls:mad:

Scar is now angry...

Arlith
08-11-2007, 09:56 PM
Lostinjapan...
Scar is now angry...

You wouldn't like Scar when he's angry.

PaintHorseCowboy
08-12-2007, 12:45 AM
One of their guild officers (and as soon as I catch him, guild leader) is aware of the situation and may be contacting you via in-game mail. Check your toons as I know they are looking for more information and have probably sent a request in an effort to help you.

lostinjapan
08-12-2007, 12:59 AM
PMs sent to all who asked.

As for the guild of the individual, I have no issues with the rest of the guild.

I'd have no issue with him and would have moved on a week ago if he would have just stopped sending me nasty tells.

gorloch
08-12-2007, 02:21 AM
Wouldn't mind getting his name as well. Also get in contact with his guild leader, maybe something might come of it from that angle.

PIXA

BUpcott
08-12-2007, 03:23 AM
Wouldn't mind getting his name as well. Also get in contact with his guild leader, maybe something might come of it from that angle.

PIXA

seconded this mootion please. PM please

Rayzorlew
08-12-2007, 06:33 AM
I've got his name and.........HE'S GONNA HATE ME!!! ;)
Scar, Drak lets have fun with this dude, lol.

lostinjapan
08-12-2007, 07:04 AM
Thank you to all the guild officers who came forth today to offer your advice and support. It was much appreciated and made me realize (again!) how tight of a community we've been and still are...even with all of our 'hate'.

Thank you most of all to the guild officer who acknowledged the person as a guildmate who has been harassing me and apologized on his behalf - even though it wasn't your fault.

I know I'm not the first person this guy has ever harassed (I know of two other people actually that said, "Oh, THAT guy." when I gave out the name. I feel badly now that I let it go on as long as it did with me and my guild.

I have now done as most of you suggested and submitted a harassment trouble ticket against him. I am not sure what will happen with this since I have no real proof of my claims (I didn't even take screenshots...wasn't thinking about reporting him), but we'll see. Hopefully this guy will not be harassing anyone else in the future.

Now...time for some fun, some looting, some gaming...all in one package! :D

Theris
08-12-2007, 11:25 AM
I'm glad to hear folks are willing to come out and help. For every harassing F-tard there is, there should be 10 of us (or more) that says "No! That's wrong! Stop it, or else!" That is a mark of a *good* community.

I sent you a PM for his name :)

cdbd3rd
08-12-2007, 11:38 AM
I have now done as most of you suggested and submitted a harassment trouble ticket against him. I am not sure what will happen with this since I have no real proof of my claims (I didn't even take screenshots...wasn't thinking about reporting him), but we'll see. Hopefully this guy will not be harassing anyone else in the future.

You may not have taken screenies, but it'll all be in the logs. ;)
If you were able to give them pretty close date/times to look for, even better.

_

Scarsgaard
08-12-2007, 12:30 PM

Don't worry Rayzor, I gots me axe sharpened jezz't incase I neeed to cut off more than his hands for this unforgiveable transgression:mad:

PaintHorseCowboy
08-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Don't worry Rayzor, I gots me axe sharpened jezz't incase I neeed to cut off more than his hands for this unforgiveable transgression:mad:

"Yet if one of our chaste women is befouled by a non believer, then he shall be removed of his infidel self.

Camel Skinner!"

"Removed of his infidel self? What do you mean Shiek?"

"Like a stallion, unfit for breeding."

I'm sure there's at least one other cowpuncher out there willing to give you a hand in this. Somehow I see this coming close to the lyrics from "Tie Knots in the Devil's Tail".

A way up high in the Sierra Petes, where the yeller jack pines grow tall,
ole Sandy Bob and Buster Jigs had a roundup camp last fall.

They took'm some hosses and some brandin' irons, mebbe a dog'r two,
and swore they'd brand all long-eared calves that come within their view.

One fine day ole Sandy Bob, he throwed his easy-go down,
says "I'm sick o' the smell o' this burnin' hair an I'm headin' into town."

So they saddles up and they hit'm a lope, for it wern't no side of right,
and them was the days when a buckaroo could get oiled up inside.

Well they starts up at the Kan-Tuck-ee Bar at the head o' the whiskey row,
an' they winds up down at the depot house, some forty drinks below.

Well they stands'r up and turns'r round and goes'r the other way.
An' to tell you the God forsaken truth, them boys got stewed that day.

As they was a headin' back t'camp, packin' a pretty good load,
who should they meet but the devil himself come prancin' down the road.

Says he, "You on'ry cowboy skunks, ya'd better hunt yer holes,
cause I'm the devil from ****'s rim rock come t'gather in your souls."

Sandy Bob says, "Oh, devil be damned, we may be a lit'l bit tight,
but before you gather any cowboy souls, you gon get a hellova fight."

So Sandy Bob punched a hole in his rope an' he swang it straight and true,
latched it on to that devil's horns and took'm some dallys too.

Now Buster Jigs was a riata man, his gut-line coil't up neat.
He shook it out, built'm a loop and latched up the devil's hind feet.

Well they stretched'm out, and tailed'm down while the irons was gettin' hot.
Then the cropped and swaller-forked his ears, an' branded him up, a lot.

They pruned'm up with dehornin' shears, and tied knots in his tail for a joke.
Then they rode off and left him there, necked to a blackjack oak.

So if you're ever up high in the Sierra Petes, an ya hear one hellova wail,
It's just that devil a'bellerin' about the knots they tied in his tail.

Drak
08-13-2007, 07:40 AM

Mate he shall eat his entrails after he watched them roast on the barbie, or prefer to do so when we are done with him

adamkatt
08-13-2007, 09:28 AM
From the DDO Help Files at http://tinyurl.com/25zjus:

I am being harassed in-game. What should I do?

The first and most important step to dealing with harassment is to separate yourself from the person that is harassing you.

To do this, use the "/squelch add <playernamehere>" command (no quotes). This will sever the individual’s ability to communicate with you via text chat.

If you are being harassed in voice chat, you should remove the person from your party or leave the party yourself.

If you continue to be harassed, please contact In-Game Support for assistance.

/squelch mutes voice chat also.

Scarsgaard
08-13-2007, 10:26 AM
/squelch mutes voice chat also.

Yep... that works, but the one thing that matters to most of us is information. Not only on builds, quests and "whats going on", but also... who to party with and, when it occurs... who not to.

There is nothing more disgusting than a bully and a stalker. Since we can't just take them outside and lay a hurting... our only other option is ostracization. In fact... sometimes being ostracized and expunged from society is the cruelest (and most fitting) thing that can happen to a person.

This guy has been on our Don't party with list for a while... now he has joined many many other Guild's lists as well.

adamkatt
08-13-2007, 12:33 PM
Yep... that works, but the one thing that matters to most of us is information. Not only on builds, quests and "whats going on", but also... who to party with and, when it occurs... who not to.

There is nothing more disgusting than a bully and a stalker. Since we can't just take them outside and lay a hurting... our only other option is ostracization. In fact... sometimes being ostracized and expunged from society is the cruelest (and most fitting) thing that can happen to a person.

This guy has been on our Don't party with list for a while... now he has joined many many other Guild's lists as well.

I stalk myself... i hate me sooo much!

Uamhas
08-16-2007, 04:54 PM
Thank you to all the guild officers who came forth today to offer your advice and support. It was much appreciated and made me realize (again!) how tight of a community we've been and still are...even with all of our 'hate'.

Thank you most of all to the guild officer who acknowledged the person as a guildmate who has been harassing me and apologized on his behalf - even though it wasn't your fault.

I know I'm not the first person this guy has ever harassed (I know of two other people actually that said, "Oh, THAT guy." when I gave out the name. I feel badly now that I let it go on as long as it did with me and my guild.

Now...time for some fun, some looting, some gaming...all in one package! :D

It is a good thing that you reported this individual.
Someone like yourself that can "tough it out" is admirable. However, there are people that do not have the fortitude (nothing wrong with that, they just don't roll that way) to shrug off the abuse. It is for such people that I am thanking you for not allowing this person to continue their behaviour, and possibly traumatize someone with more delicate sensibilities. The power of a bully/stalker/abuser is assured when their victims remain silent for whatever reason.

Scarsgaard
08-16-2007, 05:07 PM
It is a good thing that you reported this individual.
Someone like yourself that can "tough it out" is admirable. However, there are people that do not have the fortitude (nothing wrong with that, they just don't roll that way) to shrug off the abuse. It is for such people that I am thanking you for not allowing this person to continue their behaviour, and possibly traumatize someone with more delicate sensibilities. The power of a bully/stalker/abuser is assured when their victims remain silent for whatever reason.

LOL... I have Big Older Brother Syndrome... and there are more than a couple guys who regretted dating (or trying to date) my little sister:D

***at my brother's wedding I gave my sister's now ex-bf a shot to the nutz... man did he deserve it... but then again maybe thats why they broke up..lol***

Uamhas
08-16-2007, 08:07 PM
LOL... I have Big Older Brother Syndrome... and there are more than a couple guys who regretted dating (or trying to date) my little sister:D

***at my brother's wedding I gave my sister's now ex-bf a shot to the nutz... man did he deserve it... but then again maybe thats why they broke up..lol***

I like you more with every post I see.

lostinjapan
08-16-2007, 08:08 PM

I have little sister syndrome...5 older brothers...enough said.

XFracture
08-16-2007, 08:15 PM

I'm already on the offenders ignore list. And so are 37 other randomly generated alts that I made. Needless to say he had some trouble communicating with his parties that night.

And I of course recieved and official warning b/c of it. But I made the admin laugh though. :o

PaintHorseCowboy
08-16-2007, 08:28 PM
High 5 Frac.

Glad to see the GM's have a sense of humor when it comes to taking care of our own.

Reminds me of the Three Musketeers.....

Paraphrased: **** with one of us and **** with all of us.

XFracture
08-17-2007, 08:10 PM
If you mess with the bean, you mess with the whole burrito.