PDA

View Full Version : Spell penetration

Relenthe
08-10-2007, 05:17 PM
I have a lvl 8 wiz and i am wondering about which feat to get at lvl 9, is spell penetration a viable choice to get? I also have a couple other questions about spell penetration.

1. is spell penetration only good against monsters with spell resistance?
2. Does this only work with non damaging spells like hold person? or will it also work with evocation spells and spells like pk.?
3. does the feat stack with the enhancements?

Vinos
08-10-2007, 05:22 PM
I have a lvl 8 wiz and i am wondering about which feat to get at lvl 9, is spell penetration a viable choice to get? I also have a couple other questions about spell penetration.

yes
2. Does this only work with non damaging spells like hold person? or will it also work with evocation spells and spells like pk.?

yes but PK is a non damaging spell by nature. spell pen has no effect on fireball etc...
yes

in red

DarkerOne
08-10-2007, 05:23 PM

1. Yes
2. Spell Resistance doesn't apply to damaging spells, so the feat won't help any with direct damage. It DOES help with PK and FoD.
3. Yes. and stacks with items also.

Relenthe
08-10-2007, 05:40 PM
ok ty. In higher level dungeons though do most monsters have spell resistance and this is a very good feat to have, or is it only a few monsters that have it and this is not worth a feat?

Harbinder
08-10-2007, 05:40 PM
ok ty. In higher level dungeons though do most monsters have spell resistance?
Only the tough ones.

Harbinder
08-10-2007, 05:42 PM
Mindflayers, Cats, Magi, Flensers, Golems, and alot of tough monsters have SR, the more dangerous mobs. I think it's worth it. ^

Relenthe
08-10-2007, 06:29 PM
ok ty

Lithic
08-10-2007, 06:37 PM
Spell Pen feats are real nice. Maybe not at lvl 9, but by lvl 12 you will run into lots of stuff with SR (Especially since enemy clerics are casting it in some instances).

My sorc has 1 of the feats, and Im seriously considering dumping mental toughness for the second spell pen feat.

Locathus
08-10-2007, 09:39 PM
I personally like the spell penetration feats, but if you go in a different direction it won't gimp your wizard. Remember that you can also get spell penetration items (DQ Torc if you are lucky), so that can boost up your ability to hit the spells even if you don't have the feats.

With my items and feats I rarely have to worry about SR except on the worst mobs (Queen Lailat is a pain, for example).

transtemporal
08-12-2007, 11:08 PM
1. Yes
2. Spell Resistance doesn't apply to damaging spells, so the feat won't help any with direct damage. It DOES help with PK and FoD.
3. Yes. and stacks with items also.

2. In PnP, SR applies to almost every spell, damaging or not (except certain conjuration spells). In DDO is there any way to tell which spells are susceptible to SR and which ones aren't? It definitely doesn't say anything in the spell descriptions.

Vienemen
08-13-2007, 03:06 PM
By lvl 14 I suggest getting both feats...future levels more creatures will have SR.

Sybel
08-15-2007, 07:51 PM
I Definetly suggest you get your pen. up as high as possible. Thats whats going tosave you when you really need to get a spell off. Only the big tough mobs may have SR, but arent those the ones you really need that FoD, Hold monster, or charms against? :)