PDA

View Full Version : Any wizard-archer builds/advice?

Terlan
08-10-2007, 07:48 AM
So, I'd like to make an elf wizard who uses a bow as a backup/alternate weapon, without sacrificing more than one or two (at max) levels to other classes.

Is there any way to make such a character without being totally gimp as an archer or am I dreaming?

Lithic
08-10-2007, 09:00 AM
Your best bet is likely taking exotic weapon: repeater and rapid reload. THats pretty much all you need as a repeater user, and you dont even need to take a level in anything else.

Then again, you could take a level of fighter, and then take weap focus ranged, rapid shot, ummm and whatever other bow stuff there is.

To be honest though, I would personally never bother. My casters carry returning daggers in case I feel I should contribute, but usually I have plenty of spell points to cast 1 or 2 spells per battle, then wade in with dreamspitter.

Mad_Bombardier
08-10-2007, 09:44 AM
So, I'd like to make an elf wizard who uses a bow as a backup/alternate weapon, without sacrificing more than one or two (at max) levels to other classes.

Is there any way to make such a character without being totally gimp as an archer or am I dreaming?No need for any other levels at all. Elves get longbow proficiency so use it. You won't fire as fast as other archers (without archery feats), but you will be able to contribute with your bow at low to mid levels. Always use the maximum '+' bow you can for your level and make sure to cast Heroism on yourself starting at level 5 to increase your to-hit. You will not be a primary damage dealer, but it saves on spells points (or helps when you are empty).

llevenbaxx
08-10-2007, 11:03 AM
Have just such a charaacter. At Wiz14 he has a 26 standing dex, and a 32 int. I believe I only used 3-4 APs, that being on elf dex I and elf bow att I. Is still a very formidable caster.

I started off(is a 32 pt build)

str 8
dex 18 (+1 elf dex, +5item, +2 tome(favor))Note:can get 28 w/4 more AP and a +6 item
con 8 (or 10, i forget)
int 18 (+3 level, +6 item, +2 tome(beat a guy who rolled a 96 w/ a 98:D )
wiz 8
cha 8

With items have a standing 144 hps(not nearly enough some will say but I have no trouble)

Standing 1348 sps

Self buffs his ranged to hit to +34(99% sure about that)
(get a couple DP clickies for the real high AC guys, have 6 clicks more than ive ever used)

Used my enhancements for sp, spell penetration and the fire/ice 1-4.

Im ench/CC spec'd and dont use bow for damage anymore unless on held mobs. For Damage spells to be affective I have a sup pot VI item and all the sup lore lines(still can kick in real good damage w/e needed) . I have a spell penetration VI necklace and the reavers napkin so only have pull out my SP VII sceptor when Im FoDing alot.

Have all the 4 types of bow but only really use my para, cursing & holy/destruction with great regularity. Though you should get yourself a nice burst of puncturing one to use on held mobs.

Main thing you have to do is make it convinient to cast with a bow in your hands. If you have to constantly switch out for casting item you will never really fully adopt the habit of using your bow.

Is hands down my favorite character to play.

Note: Was vague on purpose. Make your own character:D

VonBek
08-10-2007, 11:37 AM
At level 5 , I run a 28 pt Elven Wizard with Elven Dex and Elven Ranged Attack enhancements. She uses: +3 Longbow, Flame Arrow, Expeditious Retreat, and Cat's Grace to good effect.

This is neither a Ranger substitute, nor an Arcane Archer. It does give the character an extra role, at times. Stay flexible with the party's needs, and you'll enjoy the archery trick all the more when it's needed.

Terlan
08-15-2007, 05:01 AM
Awesome, thanks for the replies all. :)

krud
08-16-2007, 09:23 AM
i'd suggest taking precision and going for effects like curse, destruct, etc. bows if you still wanna be effective with a bow at higher levels.

here is my rgr/wiz build that i run with. He's pretty effective with a bow.
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=92922

JelloMold
08-16-2007, 09:29 AM
With the new flame arrow wands, you have a nice addition to your damage without having to waste spellpoints/slots as well.

Harbinder
08-16-2007, 09:39 AM
I agree you don't need to take levels of another class to use the bow effectively. Elven Ranged Attack and Elven Dex enhancements are enough.

My (28 point) elf wiz 14 has a Dex of 26, and can self buff to +37 to hit. I use precision, and am thinking of picking up Improved Critical: Ranged Feat, sometime in the future, for my smiting, banishing, and puncturing bows, and for the Silver Longbow of couse! :D

+37 to hit, or +30 without DP, is enough to hit even the toughest elite mobs consistently. I love my wizard. :D :rolleyes:

llevenbaxx
08-16-2007, 01:11 PM
With the new flame arrow wands, you have a nice addition to your damage without having to waste spellpoints/slots as well.

Plus you can use scrolls. I carry around a stack at all times. Im not sure if its a bug or not but the scrolls dont seem to require me to carry any normal arrows as per the spell. I guess they are sacrificed in the making of the scroll perhaps.

I was thinking about taking Imp crit for the bow too but I think you ned to also blow a feat in Weapon Focus too. Will have to consider that investment carefully.

Gulva
08-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Scrolls have the components built into them.