PDA

View Full Version : More Newbie Questions

Khurse
08-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Hi all
Trying a sorcerer..have gotten some great advice in teh class forum, but have some more general questions.. (most of these are for working solo)

1) Stacking- I know it says stuff like arrows +1 and a bow +1 don't stack, but does a +1 weapon stack with the +1 to hit from masterworked items?

2) Crowd control- If I do something like sleep/hypnotize a small crowd of monsters, I can walk by them- but will they pursue me when the spell wears off? Obviously they'll attack if I'm still right next to them, but if I've moved a couple of rooms away?

3) How do you "tumble"? Are you assumed to be doing it automatically? Do I have to jump around in a fight?

4) Everytime I have a vendor fix something that's damaged broken (damn oozes..) it's damaged-is this normal or are there better places to fix things?
(I'm not so much concerned now as if I ever get anything nice..)

Ekental
08-09-2007, 07:03 PM
1) No
2) If you have obtained aggro (or someone in your party) yes, otherwise, no
3) Hold <Shift> + [Direction], you need at least 1 point in tumble (spent) to make it work properly. At 31 tumble, you may back and sideflip. At 35 tumble, you may forward dive.
4) Weapons does not necessarily have to take permanent dmg, the better repairer is in the desert, and requires 400 free agent favor.

Missing_Minds
08-10-2007, 08:48 AM
3, tumblings. If you use your number pad like I do and have not changed the default blocking button from shift, you will never be able to tumble. Why? Because shift+Num Pad for about half of the numbers will result in a different key pressed. Aka shift+NumPad 7 = Home. You may have to change your blocking key around to something other than shift. Then it is block and move to tumble. You don't need to have any points in tumble, BUT if you do not all you will do is kind of hop out of the way. Honestly, if you can spare the skill points, I would highly suggest getting at least one point of tumble. You will not be able to take advantage of the items that give a bonus to tumble without it.

4. Slimes are just one of the two nasties that destroy weapons like we eat cake. Your best bet starting out is to keep a couple of 1 cp clubs on you. toss them once destroyed and buy another. Much cheaper this way. In Derks Got a Secret, you have a chance of getting what is known as a Muckbane out rare encounter Muck. Muckbanes will never be destroyed by the acid of the slimes.

Khurse
08-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Thanks all

Couple more..

-Spells (and wands) that cast something like Shocking grasp- does the spell only go off if you're not using a weapon? ie Do I have to drop my dagger +1 to use it?

- Do wands always cast at a certain level? Or do they cast at the user's level?
IE would it be beter to save the Magic missle wand I just found until my sorcerer is lvl 3?

Found a few wands if you didn't guess...

turkeymoon
08-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Wands are used by your primary hand and only cast at the wands lvl. You can train the feat to improve your wand damage but it's a waste since you'll be ubered out with SP.

ArkoHighStar
08-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Thanks all

Couple more..

-Spells (and wands) that cast something like Shocking grasp- does the spell only go off if you're not using a weapon? ie Do I have to drop my dagger +1 to use it?

- Do wands always cast at a certain level? Or do they cast at the user's level?
IE would it be beter to save the Magic missle wand I just found until my sorcerer is lvl 3?

Found a few wands if you didn't guess...

1. no holding items does not affect your ability to cast spells, in fact as soon as you can find them one handed potency, power, wizardy, focus and lore items are the only things you will carry, you will not use these as weapons but as enhancers to your spells. A one handed potency item is a casters best friend as it enhances all spells.

2. wands cast at the lvl of the wand so if the wand is a lvl 1 wand, then it will always cast as a lvl 1 wand. The only exceptions are the enhancements to wands that affect dmg, and the heightening for spell dc.

wands are held in the right hand so putting your potency weapon in your left hamd is a good idea as you will never forget to put it back

Khurse
08-11-2007, 04:40 PM
Thanks agin..
And of course a few more

1) Spellpoints- is there anything that has (or a system to figure out) what the base spell points by level are? I know there's a ton of feats,devices etc that show them, but just wondering if it's possible to compare (for example)
Wiz vs Sorcerer vs Cleric spell points at differnt levels (with the same ability score)

2) Gems- Is there a use for all the turquoise,citrons, bloodstones,lapis etc that I keep finding or are they just fancier ways of the game giving me gold?

3) Rewards- is there anything that influnces rewards given for quest completion?
Only hit the very first few right now, but have noticed on different characters rewards range from anything with a base cost of a couple of gold up to 2k gold for completion of the same quest of the same difficulty,
I had a " steal the healing elixir" on hard, gave me a choice of 3 +1 items, another time on hard same quest gave another character a couple of basic robes - is tehre anything that influences this or is it just random?

Thanks again for the help

DemonMage
08-11-2007, 05:51 PM
1) Ron's character planner (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO/) is probably the easiest way to do that. The formulas aren't terribly complex, I just don't remember them offhand.

2) They're just a way to clutter up your inventory and give you a pitiful amount of coin per inventory space -- next patch there will be special gem bags to hold all (or a lot, check the Weekly Dev Activities post for more details) of them at the cost of one inventory slot, much more useful to pick them up then. Many people feel they will be utilized in crafting in the future.

3) Quest level, duration, and once you've done it 7+ times (in a single week) repetition begins to affect the rewards, and the specific quest. Chests and quest rewards have an invisible treasure level that you can kind of work out by the things they spawn, but is usually heavily influenced by the intended difficulty/time of the quest. Your stats and actions (with a few very rare cases such as Dead Girl's Spellbook) do not impact your reward for better or worse. Oh, and your class impacts the types of rewards that are generated for you. Next patch there will be an option to make the quest rewards completely random like chests, as many people feel their class has a poor selection of items for what's generally considered good loot.

Mad_Bombardier
08-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Thanks agin..
And of course a few more

1) Spellpoints- is there anything that has (or a system to figure out) what the base spell points by level are? I know there's a ton of feats,devices etc that show them, but just wondering if it's possible to compare (for example)
Wiz vs Sorcerer vs Cleric spell points at differnt levels (with the same ability score)DDOwiki Spell Point (http://ddo.enterwiki.net/page/Spell_point) page.