PDA

View Full Version : Why should I join a Guild?

Ranger57
08-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Are Guilds just social groups to make quest grouping easier?

Seems a lot of characters are associated with some Guild, but I don't understand the advantage/disadvantage.

Is it bad manners to join a Guild, just to belong, then jump to another whenever you want?

Zenako
08-08-2007, 09:57 AM
Guilds tend to be composed of players who have similar goals for themselves in the game with regards to playstyles and skill levels and time available.

They provide a ready list of other players to hook up with to run quests or to lean on for help if needed. It is give and take.

People do change guilds, but it is usually not done very often, but happens with the interests or styles of the player diverge from the others.

Do you need to be in a guild? Nope.

Does being in a guild tell others about you? A little. Guilds become known for how they play. Zergmeisters, Roleplayers, Tacticians, Self Reliant Solo Masters, etc. By seeing that name under the character, you have some idea of the type of player that is likely to in that guild. However, no guild is completely monolithic in its nature and you will find exceptions to anything.

Most people get invited to a guild after playing with someone from one a few times. That lets the guilded player find out a little about your playstyles, your general DDO understanding and so forth. If they feel it would mesh well, then you often get invited to join. Details forthcoming after that.

it is not uncommon for guild members to MUCH more freeely share or give stuff away to others in the party on online at the time. That is because they expect the same in return and will be gaming with many of those same players time and again. What goes around comes around. A guild member gave my Cleric a Paralyzing Mace she could use, so when I later found a Paralyzing Dwarven Axe, I gave that to a dwarf fighter in the guild. Both items could have sold for huge bucks on the AH if we had wanted, but the trading made both of us more powerful members of our team.

Impaqt
08-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Blah blah blah all good stuff up until

....it is not uncommon for guild members to MUCH more freeely share or give stuff away to others in the party on online at the time. That is because they expect the same in return and will be gaming with many of those same players time and again. What goes around comes around. A guild member gave my Cleric a Paralyzing Mace she could use, so when I later found a Paralyzing Dwarven Axe, I gave that to a dwarf fighter in the guild. Both items could have sold for huge bucks on the AH if we had wanted, but the trading made both of us more powerful members of our team.

Most do NOT expect the same in return......if I give away a +6 Stat Item, or a Tome, Or a P5 Weapon, or a Improved Potency 2 Daggar for that matter, its NOT because I Expect something in return.. Its because I want to make you beter. period. end of story. A Good guild will help equipt the players they run with.. Which, by some startling coincidence, tend be be with other guild members.'

Zenako
08-08-2007, 10:19 AM

Most do NOT expect the same in return......if I give away a +6 Stat Item, or a Tome, Or a P5 Weapon, or a Improved Potency 2 Daggar for that matter, its NOT because I Expect something in return.. Its because I want to make you beter. period. end of story. A Good guild will help equipt the players they run with.. Which, by some startling coincidence, tend be be with other guild members.'

I meant more that you can consider a guild like a family, where stuff tends to be passed around and along. The youngest kid often gets far more than they give, but by making all parts of the family stronger, the entire family is stronger. I do not keep track of things like Player X gave me a wookie, I should make sure to get something back to him. Getting the same in return is more about attitude and relationships than actual items.

Mad_Bombardier
08-08-2007, 10:19 AM
The only one Zenako didn't really address was this one.
Is it bad manners to join a Guild, just to belong, then jump to another whenever you want?IMO, it is bad form to capriciously hop between guilds and by so doing you will earn a bad reputation. Which is not to say that you can't change guilds if your playstyle doesn't match or because of player conflicts.

My best advice is to find a group of people you enjoy playing with and, if they invite you, join their guild. You're not stuck there for life and you are free to move on if circumstances require. But, don't join a guild with the intent of leaving it and you should be fine.

blakbyrd
08-08-2007, 10:22 AM

I sort of agree here as well. I give away far more than I ever recieve. I also give away stuff to non-guildies (its about 50/50). I do it for a few basic reasons.

1. Because of the Plat sellers the prices on the AH are outrageous and unreasonable, especially for new players. This makes most such items out of the reach of new players and discouraging. I would rather give a nice item of no use to me to someone who can use and appreciate it than just try to personally up my net worth on the AH by asking ridiculous prices, hoping someone else will by the plat and take the risk of being banned so that I can obtain the free plat they paid for (ie money laundering).
2. It can increase the functionality and power of the PUG I am in (yes I enjoy PUGs, even most bad ones).

Unlike many people, when I do use the AH for such items, I ask reasonable prices, and always put in a buyout. I have worked long enough to not really need money, so I am not out to rip anyone off or hope they will take the risk of buying plat for an item I am selling. I do not support the actions of plat sellers and am not going to do so by asking ridiculous prices and supporting others having to do so.

As for guilds, many points above are good. Guilding is up to you and your playstyle...it isnt for everyone and is not a requirement. For some a guild is just a group of real life friends and it gives them a chat channel to use when they are not grouped. There are all sorts of reasons to join and some not to. Guilds run differently with no one having power to working in a near military format. As it stands now, aside from player created situations, guilds offer no in-game benefits, although later on that may change.

ccheath776
08-08-2007, 10:51 AM
The short answer is joining a guild helps you get more groups more often and also opens up more content since you will be able to access the highest level quests. You can do this on your own, but being in a guild makes it much easier to do. Somewhat outdated now that the servers have merged and there are tons of pug groups.

Now joining a guild is a personal choice not a requirement. Its important to look at what all of the guilds offer and find the one thats right if that is what you want to do.
For example, you wouldnt want to join a raiding guild that plays every day, has an extensive network of players with the best stuff if your just someone who plays 1 - 2 times per week.

In addition guilds are a way to meet up with like minded players and develop in-game friendships that can be something to enjoy. It just makes the game more enjoyable to be a part of a guild.

In an endorsement of our guild. We are a casual guild but we are somewhat strict with our admission practices. IE, you need to have at least one 7th level character, be active on the forums, and be able to hear voice chat. The 7th level requirement is so we take in players who are willing to stay not join a free trial and then log off and we never see them again.

Klattuu
08-08-2007, 11:59 AM
I've been playing MMO's for several years now and in my experience the guild that you play with and whether or not you are in a guild at all will make the difference between the game being enjoyable for a month or two and the game being enjoyable for a year or more.

It is the interaction between people that actually makes virtual worlds interesting and fun.

Granted there are moments where you can feel like you are more immersed in a soap opera than an adventure game but it is that nuance that cannot be programmed into a solo game.

Commeraderie, teamwork, rivalry, and intrigue make games like DDO addictive in the long-term. In my opinion you are seriously short-changing your gameplay experience if you don't find a consistant group of people to play with.

As far as gameplay goes, you will noticed that groups that are created at random act much differently than those that are formed by a group of people that know each other and are most likely going to have to deal with each other in the future. The experience is like comparing night to day. PUGs tend to leave you with a feeling of "I accomplished this task...oh yeah..and they helped." versus "We accomplished this task!"

Litz
08-08-2007, 12:07 PM
To the OP if you have to ask or need a reason don't join DON'T

Armathia
08-08-2007, 12:13 PM
I know that w/o a guild to help me I would of had a much tougher road then I did, I was new to MMO n DnD when the game first came out, I originally bought the game to 'help' me to understand some of the player handbook stuff since its been difficult to find a grp to join for pnp play. The guild was helpful n considerate and walked me thru several complex explanations. They gave me tips n items to help when i needed them :)

Now if u want to join a guild I would look around for a cpl weeks, test the air n grp w/ alot of different guilds n c which u like. There is nothing wrong w/ not being in a guild, its all a personal choice. But I do advise against the bouncing from guild to guild as it does give u a rep.

Lynda

Missing_Minds
08-08-2007, 12:25 PM
The only one Zenako didn't really address was this one.IMO, it is bad form to capriciously hop between guilds and by so doing you will earn a bad reputation. Which is not to say that you can't change guilds if your playstyle doesn't match or because of player conflicts.

My best advice is to find a group of people you enjoy playing with and, if they invite you, join their guild. You're not stuck there for life and you are free to move on if circumstances require. But, don't join a guild with the intent of leaving it and you should be fine.

Also no one is stating that you must associate all of your characters with only one guild either. Some people split them up between guilds. Most guilds don't have a problem with this.

Ironforge_Clan
08-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Bah, join a guild so you can laugh at people without them getting angry. Think of it as a disfunctional family that you can CHOOSE to see when YOU want!

As for the rest yeah some of it is true but just depends on what type of peas are in your pod!

Ghoste
08-08-2007, 12:40 PM
All my characters are in guilds, but I still PUG at least as often as i group with guildies.

Ranger57
08-09-2007, 10:02 AM
I see that belonging to a Guild has more advantages that disadvantages.

Another observation I have made during my trial period is that through the social panel I have noted that about half of the players actively playing are associated with some Guild.

When I read through the Guild names I notice that most have multiple occurrences but some have single occurrences.

I'm thinking that some players are creating a Guild just to use the name with their one character, as opposed to actually being the only member of that Guild that is online.

And lastly, as a newbi, which Guild on Argonnessen would be a good fit for helping me learn the basics of group play and roleplaying?

I really don't want to be the newbi that unleashes a boss (or other action error) that gets the party killed.

Allorious
08-09-2007, 11:17 AM
There are many good "training" guilds. I would be happy to help you as the leader of Praetorians. The advice you received earlier was the best...find a group of people you enjoy running with and join their guild. Similar people tend to play together and chances are if you like that individual then you will like most of the friends they have made also.

PranasP
08-09-2007, 11:23 AM
I see that belonging to a Guild has more advantages that disadvantages.

Another observation I have made during my trial period is that through the social panel I have noted that about half of the players actively playing are associated with some Guild.

And lastly, as a newbi, which Guild on Argonnessen would be a good fit for helping me learn the basics of group play and roleplaying?

I really don't want to be the newbi that unleashes a boss (or other action error) that gets the party killed.

Ranger-- just keep running in groups with players from varying guild. Take notes of general styles. Visit websites if the guild provides one in forum listings. Browse the guilds like a buffet table.

I did same when I started and had decided on 2 specifically. Was gonna ask to be invited after flipping a coin.

But then...

Ran a PUG. Had a blast. Lotta socializing in group. And they were basically all in same guild and relentless in trying to recruit me. I gave up and ended up joing just because of that one days experience. Hope you have a pleasant experience like that help you make your decision.

KaKa
08-09-2007, 12:21 PM
Most of the things everyone said can also be accomplished with your friends list. So the the OP's question of why join a guild? Well thats simple, Guild Chat and a Guild list of who's online even if they are anonymous.

blakbyrd
08-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Here's my actual guilding situation.

First off I should state a few things regarding my stance on guilds. I am neither for nor against them, they are for some people and not for others, so I am not stating that you should or shouldnot join one, no one but yourself can answer that. I also detest large guilds. If I cannot name all the guild players (not all their characters) from memory then the guild is too large for me. I like small guilds of close friends (usually always online friends, not just close real life ones). I am also very picky about the guild structure. I hate military guilds where everyone gets a rank and must ask permission to do things with high ranking people, or are expected to drop whatever they are doing if another guild member requests their presence. To me a guild should be friends, no othre stipulations, I dont join a guild to have to deal with politics or corporate structures.

So with that being said, I originally joined a very good guild. Things went well, although slightly bigger than I wanted, I found myself pre-guilded to be spending a large portion of my time playing with them. Eventually they asked for me to join and I did. I enjoyed it for about a year. Things changed, players left for other games and the leadership swapped hands. At that point the guild went downhill into a zerg/loot fest guild that apparently did little else but hunt for loot as fast as possible. It wasnt for me anymore so I left. No real problem with the members, just their desires strayed from what I wanted (they are still top notch players though).

I decided to remain guildless, even with capped characters. Instead getting to know alot of good players. I didnt need a guild as I had many people sending me tells asking to come along with them. Not being in a guild though did greatly lessen my opportunities to raid, but it didnt bother me. I eventually found myself, grouping 75-90% of the time with the same bunch of people. They hounded me and hounded me to join their guild...was kind of funny and become a running joke for everyone. Eventually I gave in, giving them the choice of which character of mine they wanted (as I refused to let them have them all...haha) I like my guildless freedom. It didnt take long though and I eventually guilded all my characters as they have been great. They dont require you do anything, if you are busy you dont have to drop what you are doing, but most everyone will gladly swap characters to help each other out, etc. Everyone gets the same say and power...all the basic open types of guilding withough the politics. It was a great decision for me. However there are always a few things I always manage to have to put up with in every game guild I have ever been in but I wont go into that, it generally doesnt effect most people.

So, in short, I didnt need to guild but I did find it more fun. I found a great group of players and we all get along great. In large guilds that tends to lessen for me as there will inevitably be guildie conflicts that when left unchecked begins to effect the entire guild, smalled guilds tend not to suffer from this much if at all. We all have better characters from it, not that any were gimped, but we're all better off working together than running around alone. It just adds to the community feel and ability to communicate. We also do not openly recruit. If we play with someone for awhile and like them, then an invite will be given if everyone agrees, which for our own sake works very well.

As I see it, the best way to pick a guild is simply to start playing with some. Fill in empty spots on guild runs so you can see how the guild works together and communicates. Dont judge a guild by a simple player in a PUG you happen to be in. If they look promising start requesting to play with them more, usually they will speak up and openly state you will be welcome to play with them. However, the one rule I stand by is that I never ask to join a guild. If I have to ask then chances are something is holding them back from asking me to join them which generally isnt a good thing. If things go well and they like you, any guild will generally open the invite to you without you having to ask. At that point, you know their feelings about you, and you know your own about them. If you have to ask then you only know one side of that equation.

Just my thoughts on it though.

Leadsides
08-09-2007, 02:04 PM
When I read through the Guild names I notice that most have multiple occurrences but some have single occurrences.

I'm thinking that some players are creating a Guild just to use the name with their one character, as opposed to actually being the only member of that Guild that is online.

Actually, there probably IS only one member of the guild online. My guild has regular hours where most of us are online, and in the off hours you may only see one or two of us. Remember that most people in a guild are probably in the same country and relative time zones, and therefore get to play around the same time each day.

That's easy... if you are the newbie in the quest, let the others know. Someone will start talking you through it, and they'll be very sure to give instructions at critical moments (that happens even when everyone knows the quest - it's good to have everyone on the same plan). Follow the lead of that person and you'll do fine. If you screw up, don't sweat it - we've all done it too. :rolleyes: