PDA

View Full Version : favored enemies?

CSFurious
08-07-2007, 05:43 AM
i just rolled a new ranger last night, & yes i multi-class, already 1ranger/1fighter

i picked giant as my first favored enemy

i will end up 10ranger/4fighter, so i will get 2 more

i was thinking dragon, evil outsiders, elementals, and monstrous humanoids as all being possible future choices

i would just like to hear from experienced rangers, what you all are picking as favored enemies

thanks in advance

VonBek
08-07-2007, 06:00 AM
Within the limits of my experience: starting with reptile, and switching to undead, has worked better than starting with undead. Why? Gets me through a the lowest levels full of kobolds and trogs. I tend to worry about the undead after I complete the harbor.

However, my affinity for this alt hase wondering if he'll become my new main, so we'll see if I chose wisely, or not.

CSFurious
08-07-2007, 06:50 AM
i think undead is a good choice for the earlier game, but i was thinking more about what end-game monsters rangers fight as their favored enemies

DemonMage
08-07-2007, 07:20 AM
Undead, Evil Outsiders, last one is a toss up. Giants are decent, but there are plenty of different things you can fit in there that will serve you well.

VonBek
08-07-2007, 07:46 AM
i think undead is a good choice for the earlier game, but i was thinking more about what end-game monsters rangers fight as their favored enemies

Yeah. I worry about that. Sounds like you'll reach upper levels expeditiously. Will you plan include swapping a FE, once, via the Dragonmark Quiz in the harbor?

CSFurious
08-07-2007, 09:41 AM
i mainly use drow, but i doubt that i will use a dragonshard on favored enemies as i have 2 in the bank that i am not selling right now because in my opinion they are quite valuable as the last one i sold for 100,000 pp

anyway, i will level up fast, and i picked giants mainly for stormcleave & the quests where we fight trolls such as gwylans

maybe i will pick dwarves next as they can be a pain to fight in certain quests lately, i also know i heard that evil outsiders are a good selection

as to undead with my bard, i used a +3 light mace of pure good & while hasted, i tore up the undead in delera's elite

it is my understanding that a pure ranger at level 20 will get 5 favored enemies so even being a multi-classer, i should get 3 to 4

peace

Mad_Bombardier
08-07-2007, 09:43 AM
i would just like to hear from experienced rangers, what you all are picking as favored enemiesAs a low STR ranger (finally 20 STR @ level cap), I chose my Favored Enemies based on DR. That way, I can still use Wounding weapons that are not the right material/damage types to bypass DR.

My one exception is Giants, and that's just because there are so many Giantkin in the game.

scion
08-07-2007, 10:57 AM
I have a semi-related question. In P&P, your favored enemies have varying bonuses, so when you get your second, one has a +4 bonus and the other gets a +2. I have heard some vague mumblings about DDO favored enemies all getting hte highest bonus. Is this true?

If not, the order you take your FEs in will make a huge difference in the end game.

Mad_Bombardier
08-07-2007, 11:05 AM
I have a semi-related question. In P&P, your favored enemies have varying bonuses, so when you get your second, one has a +4 bonus and the other gets a +2. I have heard some vague mumblings about DDO favored enemies all getting hte highest bonus. Is this true?

If not, the order you take your FEs in will make a huge difference in the end game.Order does not matter. All favored enemies get the same bonus in DDO.

Darkwolf
08-07-2007, 11:08 AM
All favored enemies have the same bonus in DDO.

I took Undead, Evil Outsiders, and Giants.

Don't forget Trolls and Ogres are Giant subtypes.

Blazer
08-07-2007, 11:39 AM
As a low STR ranger (finally 20 STR @ level cap), I chose my Favored Enemies based on DR. That way, I can still use Wounding weapons that are not the right material/damage types to bypass DR.

My one exception is Giants, and that's just because there are so many Giantkin in the game.

Mad, does your low STR ranger (I wouldn't consider 20 low STR btw, but rather middle STR) have Power Attack? Since he's sporting a 20 STR, I'm guessing he's got Weapon Finesse and a 32/34 DEX. PA will help you punch through the DR also, considering how high your to-hit should be.

Blazer
08-07-2007, 11:40 AM
I took Undead, Evil Outsiders, and Giants.

I did the same, but this wasn't my original list. Pre-Gianthold I had Vermin instead of Giants. Back in the day, elite spiders/scorpions were nasty - highish AC, lots of HP, and they hit hard. They, too, have been nerfed however, so I swapped them for Giants as Mod 4 came out.

At level 15 I'm leaning towards Abberations since I believe that the FE: Resistance enhancements will help with Beholders and their eye stalk effects.

At level 20 I have no idea what FE to take yet. I shouldn't look ahead. ;)

Fatal
08-07-2007, 09:34 PM
i just rolled a new ranger last night, & yes i multi-class, already 1ranger/1fighter

i picked giant as my first favored enemy

i will end up 10ranger/4fighter, so i will get 2 more

i was thinking dragon, evil outsiders, elementals, and monstrous humanoids as all being possible future choices

i would just like to hear from experienced rangers, what you all are picking as favored enemies

thanks in advance

Giant is not a bad choice as they are quite plentiful throughout the game, low levels as well as end game. I have not picked giants in the past since they are typically not hard to hit (with a few exceptions), but I can see the logic in picking them. Monstrous humes are a subtype of giants as stated earlier so no need to waste a FE on that. Evil outsiders are also a popular pick, taking down reavers and flesh renders quickly is always a good thing as well as the DQ. Elementals have also been brought up before, but personally my rangers are typically finesse builds and I can usually puncture them to death faster than most fighters without banishing weapons or greater bane weapons can. Also I agree with Blazer in regards to taking abberations, I have abbs as a FE and also use the resistance enhancements specifically for taking down beholders and flayers in a hurry. Lastly whenever a guildy has asked me this question, whether for a splash of ranger or a pure class I always tell them to choose undead.

Peace,
Dizz

King's Blood

Osharan_Tregarth
08-08-2007, 02:54 AM
Giants, evil outsiders, undead...

And someday swapping out evil outsiders for something else, maybe... Or maybe giants.... But undead is there to stay.

Why stop at 10 ranger? I'd figured 11 rangers as the more important cutoff.

You can pick up the other fighter level when the level cap goes up, but the precise shot/imp precise shot/better twf combo is pretty hard to turn down for one more ranger level.

CSFurious
08-08-2007, 05:42 AM
i thought about this build & you are right that level 11 ranger is worth it for now with greater 2-weapon fighting

i am now 2ranger/1fighter with weapon finesse and have 20 dex & 15 str, i think i am going to eat a +1str tome, and might take power attack for some extra punch as i did not know that it worked with finessable weapons

i took toughness & with enhancements & items, i already have 67 hitpoints which is pretty good IMO :D for a damn drow, but it also helps some when you eat a +1con tome at level 2:D

i might take those damn undead next as my FE, i hate those suckas

thanks for the help dudes

peace

Giants, evil outsiders, undead...

And someday swapping out evil outsiders for something else, maybe... Or maybe giants.... But undead is there to stay.

Why stop at 10 ranger? I'd figured 11 rangers as the more important cutoff.

You can pick up the other fighter level when the level cap goes up, but the precise shot/imp precise shot/better twf combo is pretty hard to turn down for one more ranger level.

teddok
08-08-2007, 06:36 AM
Chuck monsturas Humuniod. As far as I can tell and after consulting many people we all belive it ony applies to one race ATM. Minatar's. And honestly there are just not enough in the game to make it worth while. Gaints though is a good one. It applies to Giants ogres and trolls.

QuantumFX
08-08-2007, 11:39 AM
My standard order is Undead, Giants, Evil Outsider. I have no absolute proof but I feel we see more of these in game than any other monster type. If it was available I'd take mephit at level 15 only because those damn things are more cliche than oozes.

Riekan
08-08-2007, 11:56 AM
My ranger has undead, giants, and evil outsiders.

Some other people already pointed out that 11 is the better break point for rangers. Not only do you get 3 more feats, and good feats, for free, but that also gets you 30 point resists. Hard to pass up.

Blazer
08-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Chuck monsturas Humuniod. As far as I can tell and after consulting many people we all belive it ony applies to one race ATM. Minatar's. And honestly there are just not enough in the game to make it worth while. Gaints though is a good one. It applies to Giants ogres and trolls.

Montrous Humanoid is a questionable FE, but there are more than just Minotaurs. Gargoyles (Granite as well as the normal type) and Wildmen are also classified as MHs.

scion
08-08-2007, 03:55 PM
Monstrous humes are a subtype of giant
say what?? Unless this is a RADICAL departure from P&P, I think you are misinformed. I think that the confusion is that the predominant Monstrous Humanoids in the game are Minotaur, which are often mis-identified as giants.

DemonMage
08-08-2007, 05:52 PM
I imagine people expect Trolls and Ogres to be Monstrous Humanoids when in fact they're giant type. So hence the confusion given the incredibly limited Monstrous Humanoid type in-game currently.

CSFurious
08-09-2007, 05:45 AM
giants have been a good selection as i have been hurting the ogres in ww & also helped kill the end-boss in stk at level 3

i think next is undead for the catacombs:eek: :mad: & those delera zerg-sessions

somebody mentioned mephits are they evil outsiders or elementals, i think they are demons

scion
08-09-2007, 09:51 AM
IIRC, the end boss of STK is a construct, not a giant. Perhaps you were overcoming his DR?

Mephits are Outsiders, not elementals. In P&P, they have an alignment of 'Usually neutral'. In DDO, I think they might be evil (anyone whacked 'em with a holy weapon?).

Mad_Bombardier
08-09-2007, 09:57 AM
somebody mentioned mephits are they evil outsiders or elementals, i think they are demonsWhile the picture for Evil Outsider is a Mephit, Mephits are True Neutral Outsiders. There is no favored enemy or Bane type that affects them.

Darkwolf
08-09-2007, 10:08 AM
While the picture for Evil Outsider is a Mephit, Mephits are True Neutral Outsiders. There is no favored enemy or Bane type that affects them.

Hahahha... That's just wrong.

Lillitheris
08-09-2007, 11:00 AM
.. we all belive it ony applies to one race ATM. Minatar's.

Gargoyles are Monstrous Humanoids as well.

Like many people have said, Undead; Giants and Evil Outsiders is the holy trinity for ranger favored enemies. I'd say that combo covers roughly 60-70% of the monsters we encounter in the game.

Mad_Bombardier
08-09-2007, 11:25 AM
Hahahha... That's just wrong.Care to enlighten us?

Blazer
08-09-2007, 11:37 AM
Think he just meant that it's wrong that there is no FE to cover mephits, wrong as in it must be an oversight and should be corrected. Not wrong as in "WRONG!!" like some people here tend to post to show when someone has made a mistake.

Mad_Bombardier
08-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Think he just meant that it's wrong that there is no FE to cover mephits, wrong as in it must be an oversight and should be corrected. Not wrong as in "WRONG!!" like some people here tend to post to show when someone has made a mistake.I took his introductory laughter to mean just the opposite.

The point stands that no FE or weapon Bane affects Mephits. And while in 3.5, they are Usually Neutral, in DDO, they are True Neutral. Axiomatic does not work, True Law does. Anarchic does not work, True Chaos does. Holy does not work, Pure Good does. Perhaps they should just be included in the Elemental category (also Usually Neutral, also Element-based, also Extraplanar). Or, perhaps, they should be in a new category of Neutral Outsider.

CSFurious
08-09-2007, 12:15 PM
unless i have been playing a different game for the past year, the end-boss in stk is a fire-giant who is very vulnerable to adamantine weapons & niacs' cold ray

IIRC, the end boss of STK is a construct, not a giant. Perhaps you were overcoming his DR?

Mephits are Outsiders, not elementals. In P&P, they have an alignment of 'Usually neutral'. In DDO, I think they might be evil (anyone whacked 'em with a holy weapon?).

Darkwolf
08-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Think he just meant that it's wrong that there is no FE to cover mephits, wrong as in it must be an oversight and should be corrected. Not wrong as in "WRONG!!" like some people here tend to post to show when someone has made a mistake.

That is correct.

Hehe, when I mean someone is 'WRONG' I am normally more than happy to post a correction.

Some might say too happy. :p

Blazer
08-09-2007, 12:55 PM
unless i have been playing a different game for the past year, the end-boss in stk is a fire-giant who is very vulnerable to adamantine weapons & niacs' cold ray

He certainly looks like a fire giant, but if you examine him in your focus orb, he is listed as a construct. Now maybe perhaps that is a mistake (like how all the NPCs were listed as "Elf" recently), but if it's not, it explains how adamantine overcomes his DR.

Prinstoni
08-09-2007, 01:17 PM
I might be a little different on my build, but my ranger (100% bow spec ranger) has...

Undead, Abberation (beholder slayer!!!), and Evil Outsider (DQ solo)

I didn't take giant because...

I play the dq waaaaaaaaay too much with him to lose evil outsider. Soloable with +1 Holy burst LB of Greater Evil Outsider Bane with cold iron arrows.

I run for shards of light from the shadow crypt (+3 75% returning arrows (3d6 heal moderate) and the wiz king is a soloable with an undead spek ranger (shards and disruptor combo for most, holy greater undead bane with shards for bosses (OUCH!!!))

I can smoke beholders in Invaders, VONs, and POP without an optic nerve.

However, I took abberation before GH, and I have thought long and hard about switching abberation for giant.

I am still considering it. Meanwhile BEHOLDER SLAYER!!!

Mad_Bombardier
08-09-2007, 02:04 PM
That is correct.

Hehe, when I mean someone is 'WRONG' I am normally more than happy to post a correction.

Some might say too happy. :pThanks for the clarification Darkwolf.

Blazer
08-09-2007, 02:36 PM
I play the dq waaaaaaaaay too much with him to lose evil outsider. Soloable with +1 Holy burst LB of Greater Evil Outsider Bane with cold iron arrows.

One might suggest that with a bow like that, you don't need Evil Outsider as a Favored Enemy. ;)

I can smoke beholders in Invaders, VONs, and POP without an optic nerve.

Me too. Multishot wounding gets it done quick - Beholders have lower CON scores than I would have thought - then while the timer is counting down, go back to TWF to finish them off.

As mentioned earlier, I'll more than likely be taking Abberation at level 15. Level 20? Who knows what DDO will hold for us. I'm still not 100% certain I'll stay pure ranger beyond lvl 16, I'm toying with the idea of 4 fighter levels.

scion
08-10-2007, 08:41 AM

Well, he could have adamanine armore, which would explain the DR/adamantine.

On a more important note, do those Niac's do red damage or purple damage? If he's a fire giant, it would be purple, and that would add a new tool in defeating him. It seems to me that most casters MM him to death.

CSFurious
08-10-2007, 10:43 AM
people stopped using niacs because the end-boss in sc was made immune to same

an empowered niacs from a sor absolutely crushes the end-boss in stk

Well, he could have adamanine armore, which would explain the DR/adamantine.

On a more important note, do those Niac's do red damage or purple damage? If he's a fire giant, it would be purple, and that would add a new tool in defeating him. It seems to me that most casters MM him to death.

Fatal
08-10-2007, 08:49 PM
say what?? Unless this is a RADICAL departure from P&P, I think you are misinformed. I think that the confusion is that the predominant Monstrous Humanoids in the game are Minotaur, which are often mis-identified as giants.

Oops my bad, I was both wrong as well as misinformed. :(
Not the first time I've been wrong.

Peace,
Dizz

Prinstoni
08-17-2007, 09:39 AM
One might suggest that with a bow like that, you don't need Evil Outsider as a Favored Enemy. ;)

Me too. Multishot wounding gets it done quick - Beholders have lower CON scores than I would have thought - then while the timer is counting down, go back to TWF to finish them off.

As mentioned earlier, I'll more than likely be taking Abberation at level 15. Level 20? Who knows what DDO will hold for us. I'm still not 100% certain I'll stay pure ranger beyond lvl 16, I'm toying with the idea of 4 fighter levels.

yeah I thought about taking fighter levels too, but that just seems like a bit of a waste. Who knows what is in store for a L20 ranger (maybe a full heal spell)? Of course it shouldn't matter much by then because we will be taking 300 points of damage per hit instead of 150.