PDA

View Full Version : To multi or not?

Vengenance
08-06-2007, 02:08 PM
Beside losing out on a lvl 4 spell (FOM) is there any reason to take more than 11 levels of Ranger? I currently have a 1 Rogue/8 Ranger and I've been considering going 1 Rogue/2 Ftr/11 Ranger. This would get me 2 more feats and open up the fighter toughness enhancements.

Impaqt
08-06-2007, 02:10 PM
+5 Barkskin at L12.

Vengenance
08-06-2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks. I'll have to consider this when I get to level 12. But atm I think the benifits of two levels of fighter outweigh the benefits of 1 AC especially at high level when AC isn't as important. I can get Ftr Str I, which will allow me with a +2 Tome to achieve a 28 Str with a Dex of 30 or I have the option of staying with a 26 Str and instead going with a 32 Dex.

QuantumFX
08-06-2007, 06:18 PM
You also miss out on a +1 to your reflex and will saves by not going 12 Ranger.

Food for thought: You might want to go 1 Ro/12 Ra/1 Fi and put off on the STR until next cap increase anyway. You'll have access to Fighter STR 1 and a +1 via the level 16 stat boost.

JD2134
08-07-2007, 03:19 AM
Beside losing out on a lvl 4 spell (FOM) is there any reason to take more than 11 levels of Ranger? I currently have a 1 Rogue/8 Ranger and I've been considering going 1 Rogue/2 Ftr/11 Ranger. This would get me 2 more feats and open up the fighter toughness enhancements.

Dont forget that Palas, Rangers and Rogues are also getting Toughness with the new update

Mad_Bombardier
08-07-2007, 09:47 AM
Dont forget that Palas, Rangers and Rogues are also getting Toughness with the new updatePaladins already have Toughness. And I don't believe Rangers and Rogues are not slated to receive Toughness enhancements. If you are correct, can you please link the Dev post?

Vengenance
08-13-2007, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone, I've decided to stay with my original plan and go 13 Ranger/1 Rogue. The hit to my skill points makes taking the original level of rogue pointless. I want to have good/decent rogue skills with the build, which I currently have with this build. My rogue skills are nearly as effective as those on my level 13 Rogue/1 Ranger. I can't disable things on a 1, but I don't blow many boxes even on elite content and can open any lock even if it takes me a couple of tries. I consider myself as a back-up for a rogue and not as a replacement.

This is my first ranger and so far I'm loving it. It does insane DPS with many shot and does fair damage while ranging. With a 26 Str I can also do fair damage with Longswords (I'm elf) when necessary.

AEschyl
08-13-2007, 02:54 PM
Paladins already have Toughness. And I don't believe Rangers and Rogues are not slated to receive Toughness enhancements. If you are correct, can you please link the Dev post?

yes rangers will be receiving it.. but it wont be as good as fighter's toughness

i dont know about rogues cuz well franky.. i just dont care :p

Osharan_Tregarth
08-14-2007, 10:51 PM
yes rangers will be receiving it.. but it wont be as good as fighter's toughness

i dont know about rogues cuz well franky.. i just dont care :p

I'm also unaware of this change. Could you link somewhere that shows it?

AEschyl
08-15-2007, 12:24 AM
I'm also unaware of this change. Could you link somewhere that shows it?

i'm sorry, i mis-spoke... i was thinking about item defense lmao

my bad :eek:

KiwiJoe
08-15-2007, 04:17 AM
I would personally recommend 12 ranger 1 fighter 1 rouge instead.

The 1 fighter gives you:

Free Feat
Tower Shields

ENHANCEMENTS
25% item defense
+2 seeker
+5 hitpoints (If you take toughness)

And when the cap hits 16 you can take 2 more ranger lvls for FOM.

Vengenance
08-15-2007, 01:45 PM
I do plan on taking two levels of fighter at some point, but probably not until the lvl cap is raised so I can keep my rogue skills at an acceptable level.

AEschyl
08-15-2007, 02:10 PM
i would reccommend:

12 ranger/2 paladin

or

11 ranger/3 paladin

Osharan_Tregarth
08-15-2007, 10:39 PM
I like the idea of the two fighter levels. But you are right that taking them now would make it hard to maintain your rogue skills.

I'm also fond of the 11/2/1 Ranger/Paladin/Rogue that I'm running up. I'd originally made him human, but that was before the human versatility changes. If I make a re-roll of him, I'll probably do it as a drow for the stat syncronicity, or a 32 point elf for the extra bow enhancements. But the two paladin levels gives access to the extra +1 to hit with a bow from enhancements.

My current pure dex ranger(Isharan) is a little hampered by his starting stats(Started with 14 int and wis), but I've managed to keep him viable for now by picking up combat expertise, and a heck of a lot of high end loot. Self buffed with barkskin, and combat expertise, I'm sitting at a 50 ac. With a paladin around, 54ish. And against favored enemies, 57ish. I'll have to see how things work out with the next update.