PDA

View Full Version : Defrag help

Mad_Bombardier
08-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Hi techie folks. Not a computer person here and needed some help with Defragging. I am using Windows XP Disk Defragmenter and it won't defrag the .dats associated with DDO.

I have both Risia and normal clients and these 6 files are unable to be defragged:

Risia
client_anim.dat
client_cell_1.dat
client_mesh.dat
client_sound.dat
client_surface.dat

Normal
client_cell_1.dat
client_highres.dat
client_mesh.dat
client_sound.dat
client_surface.dat

Do I need a better Defrag tool, or is it ok and I should just let it go? Thanks! :)

Coldin
08-06-2007, 02:30 PM
How much free space do you have left on your harddrive? Some of those larger files won't defrag unless you have a few GBs of space free.

NameisToad
08-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Those are all really big files. Just taking a stab in the dark, as there's no information on your system there, I would say you probably don't have enough room for Defrag to properly do its job.

It needs to have at least 5 GB free on your hard drive to be able to defrag those files, and will do it faster with 15 GB or more.

If you have more than 5 GB of free space, then the problem is obviously somewhere else, but that is my suspicion based on the above post.

If you uninstall Risia you should be able to defrag the other files. Defragging the Risia files would be a much bigger problem, though. Do you have a DVD burner?

Mad_Bombardier
08-06-2007, 02:51 PM
How much free space do you have left on your harddrive? Some of those larger files won't defrag unless you have a few GBs of space free.That is probably it. I have 7.21GB free (which is more than the 15% required for Windows Defrag), and the combined total for the 10 files listed is 10.39GB. However, individually, the largest .dat is only 2.03GB.

P.S. Yes, I know I need a new, bigger harddrive. :(

If you uninstall Risia you should be able to defrag the other files. Defragging the Risia files would be a much bigger problem, though. Do you have a DVD burner?I have tried burning the Risia files so that I can uninstall without redownloading, but gotten corruption errors each and every time. I got fed up with it and deleted the install .zip. I could try uninstalling Risia (rarely use it anyway) for drive space and download again someday if it's needed.

NameisToad
08-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Deleting the Risia files should give you enough space to make the defrag happen correctly, however, it still may not.

If 7 GB is more than the 15% required by defrag, then your hard drive is less than 50 GB. If the 4 - 5GB (depending on whether you have the high-res textures installed) of your DDO installation are spread out just right, you won't have 2 GB of contiguous space, and that is what defrag needs.

You might try adding a new hard drive to your system (either by purchasing one of the external hard drives from any local retailer, or by installing a new internal hard drive) and copy your files from one hard drive to the other. If you copy, then defrag both drives, then copy back, you should see the defrag issue solved. If you uninstall and then install from scratch on the new hard drive, you should see it gone for good, as long as you defrag on a schedule.

I know I can get a new 500 GB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136110) internal Western Digital hard drive from Newegg for US$110 after shipping. Getting the 80GB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822210002) or so you need shouldn't be too expensive.

Chandeth
08-06-2007, 03:41 PM
Microsoft has a small program available that can do some things that defrag cannot. It is called Contig and its purpose is to make files take up one contiguous location on the disk. Essentially, it is more agressive about rearranging the pieces of the file. Check this link for details:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/contig.mspx

It may help you solve your problem, but as with all low-level system utilities it could make a big mess.

Mad_Bombardier
08-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Thanks guys. Will be adding/replacing harddrive soon enough, and in the meantime will deal with moderate fragmentation. I appreciate all the help. :)

Karch
08-07-2007, 03:37 PM
Microsoft has a small program available that can do some things that defrag cannot. It is called Contig and its purpose is to make files take up one contiguous location on the disk. Essentially, it is more agressive about rearranging the pieces of the file. Check this link for details:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/contig.mspx

It may help you solve your problem, but as with all low-level system utilities it could make a big mess.

This has caused issues for customers in the past. It's a little too aggressive, and ends up corrupting data more often than not.

Mad_Bombardier
10-16-2007, 12:05 PM
So, here I am again. :) I've deleted the Risia client, cleared 37% disk space, tried to use Windows Disk Defragmenter and am still unable to defrag 3 large DDO files. I end up with 22% Total fragmentation and 44% File fragmentation.

Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented
500 488 MB \Program Files\Turbine\Dungeons & Dragons Online - Stormreach\client_cell_1.dat
991 521 MB \Program Files\Turbine\Dungeons & Dragons Online - Stormreach\client_mesh.dat
880 1.21 GB \Program Files\Turbine\Dungeons & Dragons Online - Stormreach\client_sound.datIs there anything I can do?

Karr
11-29-2007, 11:58 PM
Did you ever get a resolution to this? I'm having the same problem. I have over 11 gigs of free space and have 3 DDO .dat files that are in total just over 3 gigs in size that will not defrag.

Mad_Bombardier
12-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Did you ever get a resolution to this? I'm having the same problem. I have over 11 gigs of free space and have 3 DDO .dat files that are in total just over 3 gigs in size that will not defrag.I got a new 160GB harddrive. It now defrags fine. I think those files are just big enough that the smaller drives can't find space to move them to and back during the defrag process. Even now, those files are off in their own little world on my HD (in the visual representation). There was no room to squeeze them in with the rest of the drive contents over to the left (of the visual representation).

Strakeln
12-01-2007, 10:36 AM
I have a very fuzzy memory of getting some kind of notification that some DDO files were not allowed to be part of the defragmentation process (last time I defrag'd). Very fuzzy memory, though... could have been some other files.

Karr
12-01-2007, 11:34 AM
This is ridiculous. One of the files is only just over 500 MB. The other two are just over 1 GB each. How much of a pain would it be to uninstall DDO and reinstall it after a defrag? Is there anything I'd lose? All the important stuff is saved on their sever isnt it?

Impaqt
12-01-2007, 12:59 PM
THe Built-in Defragmentation Utility in WIndows is extremely inneficient....

Try something like Power Defragmenter GUI http://freeweb.siol.net/razor256/xss/
Slick GUI for contig Defrag utility. Fast, Efficient, and best of all Free.

You can defrag a Drive, FOlder or all the way down toa specific File.
THe Biggest problem with the Cotig utility is that peole dont know what they are doing with command lines..... The GUI takes away the human error potential.. Or at least reduces it.

brshelton
12-01-2007, 01:07 PM
its not a pain to reinstall DDO IF you dl the trial client. The trial client comes with all the updates packaged into it but if you sue your cd you msut dl about 11000 updates.

Impaqt
12-01-2007, 01:11 PM
its not a pain to reinstall DDO IF you dl the trial client. The trial client comes with all the updates packaged into it but if you sue your cd you msut dl about 11000 updates.
When did they update the Trial Clent?

brshelton
12-01-2007, 01:22 PM
post mod 5 they did. I jsut reinstalled 5 minutes ago and have to dl about 14 updates thats all. The client dl is now 2.4 gb instead of the listed 1.7 though.

Karr
12-01-2007, 07:13 PM
Well I got around it. Dug out my old 20GB drive from the closet. Forgot I saved it for an emergency. I copied all the DDO files over to the 20GB drive, deleted everything from my main drive, then defragged it and defragged the DDO files on the smaller drive. I think after this I'll just leave DDO on its own drive.