PDA

View Full Version : Death Spells (Finger of Death and PK)

Merjon
08-05-2007, 11:18 PM
I'll leave disintegrate out of this as on big HP mobs it's not an instakill at all.

So, once you can cast finger of death, is there any reason at all to carry PK anymore? I see level 14 casters still using PK so I'm confused.

PK offers both a will save AND a fort save. Finger of Death only a fort save. Even the damage on successful fort saves are about the same.

Sure finger of death has always cost more SP, but if you heighten your PKs, and I always did on important targets, then they cost the same.

The only thing I can think of is that you could alternate finger of death with PK for cooldowns, however in that case I'd probably want to use a hold or other will-based spell in between fingers of death as if they're resisting finger of death, it's probably because they have high fort saves.

So... what are the reasons to use PK once you have finger of death. I'm sure I'm missing something, help me figure it out!

RemoJr
08-05-2007, 11:33 PM
Some sorcerer's would rather choose something eles, like otto's sphere. I think they only get 1 level 7 spell. I'm not sure why a wizard would choose to use PK though.
I know my wizard prefers FoD. I never really liked PK, fealt too inaccurate for my taste, btu FoD works great on casters.

crystalwizard
08-06-2007, 08:56 AM
One of the reasons its as you said,for the cooldowns to alternate insta kills,but also for something else (when it comes to wizards). Mp efficiency,25sp for a pk, 40 sp for a fod,if you got illusion focus items and a good int stat,pk can land almost as well as fod for 15 sp less, 15 sp might not be that of a big deal for a sorc,but for a wizard it is,even one with mental/imp mental toughness feats.I normally use Pk on the first try,and if it fails,then go for Fod,usually there is not a second attmpt.Of course this also counts that you know on what your casting pk,on some mobs,its just better to cast fod from the first shot (like on high lvl enemy casters),but most of the time,pk does the job on the first shot,if you know on what cast pk on the first shot, or fod wisely,you can save a lot of sp on the long run.Thats why I carry both finger of death and phantasmal killer on my spell selection.

CSFurious
08-06-2007, 09:30 AM
as a sor, you only get one level 7 spell & otto's is the best cc spell in this game IMO which is a better benefit to your party than fod

i am a pk'er & heightened pk is just as good as fod as far as i am concerned for my purposes, most are one-shoted, anything that resists is enervated & then pk'ed

when i get low on mana or the tanks are getting ****ed at my pk'ing, i just cast heightend webs & extended haste on them so that they feel important again

i am developing a wiz, and he will use fod instead of pk

peace

Some sorcerer's would rather choose something eles, like otto's sphere. I think they only get 1 level 7 spell. I'm not sure why a wizard would choose to use PK though.
I know my wizard prefers FoD. I never really liked PK, fealt too inaccurate for my taste, btu FoD works great on casters.

teddok
08-06-2007, 09:41 AM
By the time one spell cools down the other spell is ready. I can just keep spaming PK and finger one after the other.
In 15 sec's I can get 8-11 kills depending on saves.

Blind_Skwerl
08-06-2007, 03:09 PM
I run a capped sorc with both pk/fod and I use them a TON (sometimes to the frustration of the melees that want to actually hit something :) ). For me, it's all about the cool down first, and sp efficiency second. I do not heighten my pk ever. So if I cast it and it lands (and it lands alot), I saved 15 sp over a fod. The trick is learning which mobs are more vulnerable.

The main reason for me though is the cooldown. My static group goes through dungeons like a Japanese bullet train. How can I hog all the kills if I am constantly waiting for a spell cooldown? :D Heck, I still sometimes end up waiting for a cooldown timer, using both spells. Gimme a 3rd! ;)

Merjon
08-06-2007, 05:38 PM
Thanks, I think I understand better now.

I know about the sorcerer spell slot limitation, I was speaking of those who I saw alternating the two.

However, I can see it now. If you know from experience that PK will do 90% of the time, then it's worth it to save the SP. I guess I just never got that familiar. I can also see the timing issue but I guess my groups don't normally run THAT fast, but I know others do, so that makes sense.

Thanks for the input and answers!