PDA

View Full Version : Total/Average Damage Meters?

Baryn
08-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but there seems to be a hefty population of knowledgeable people that post here.

A little background, real fast. I've got 6 years experience with C++ and whatnot, used to program text-based MUDs back in the day when they were "hot". So I'm not just some regular user asking about something that is completely out of bounds.

But I am wondering one thing, that seems out of bounds for something of my skill level; but not impossible. Is there any way that we could program a Total/Average Damage meter in DDO? A sub-program that picks up on either the combat log numbers, or the numbers viewed on screen?

I can see how the numbers viewed on screen might be a little screwy due to other numbers showing up, but can we do this?

Is there any way to compile a program that can actually read/view the combat log as we play, and keep tracks on how much damage we've done, how many times we've missed, how many times we've hit? How many times that we have been missed in combat? How much damage we have taken in combat? And for things like casters, how much damage on average their firewall does?

Can we actually log how often someone gets a critical spell? Can we actually log.... etc?

I see the possibilities as being endless. How hard is it to actually put this in action? And would any other programmers be willing to spend some time on an open source program to get this dream a reality?

I know there are programs that do similar things, I'm just not very knowledgeable on that certain aspect of programming itself.

Feedback? How many people would use this? How do you feel about it?

Uska
08-05-2007, 01:42 PM
No I would never use heck I even hate the kill counter would rather see a party kill counter hate anything that adds to some idiots ability to brag.(not calling you an idiot by the way)

Tanniss001
08-06-2007, 08:08 PM
There are always different ways of doing things other then hack man, I don't know if there is a chat log in this game, but that is how it was done in the old days on EverQuest. Had a program called EQWatcher that even used a voice emulation program so that it talked to you telling you what your stats were. There is no reason that this game if it has a log could not do the same, and it is not a hack, since it is information provided outside of the client.

MRicebong
08-07-2007, 01:35 AM
There are always different ways of doing things other then hack man, I don't know if there is a chat log in this game, but that is how it was done in the old days on EverQuest. Had a program called EQWatcher that even used a voice emulation program so that it talked to you telling you what your stats were. There is no reason that this game if it has a log could not do the same, and it is not a hack, since it is information provided outside of the client.

1st of all it's a nice idea,but, isn't it taking the game too seriously?! tracking your damage,misses,kills?! lol vast majority of ppl don't even track their real life "hits&misses" that much.

2nd it's illegal even it's not a hack, the creators of this program,that named as DDO,decided that no modding is allowed (written in code of conduct),and it is wise in my opinion,if they let us add any mod we want (like in wow) than it will look like wow...and i don't need to say too much about it.

3rd will it help?! why should someone invest it's own time in programming accessories for the game insteade of just playing it?!

i think that if we take a second sight on the idea...it's useless and have more lacks than profits,though it could be funny.

DemonMage
08-07-2007, 01:58 AM
Pretty sure there isn't a chatlog function, so you can't just write a parsing program. You'd have to get into modifying the game/memory itself and that's not allowed by the TOS. They learned that one pretty well after AC I guess =-p