PDA

View Full Version : Lessons Learned on Different Styles

Litz
08-05-2007, 09:23 AM
I'm noticing a definate differance in styles of play between the servers. I'm not going to generalize and label servers but rather just share my experiences. Your welcome to also.

Group 1) TF & Titan with 6 people. 3 are melee, 1 arcane, 1 bard and 1 cleric. Groups starts rough, with door being opened before group is ready, but quickly recover and stick together tightly. Get to puzzle room and discover 4 of the 6 are not using a mic. They can hear but do everything in /party which gets confusing and slow. Suprisingly we get through it rather quickly (didn't break any TA record) and without much of a hitch. Then we get to the golem room no problem we just skipped most of it. Next was the mindflayer at the end someone falls off the blue bridges that spawn and takes forever to get back up while the rest of the party try to explain or show what to do. Now to the Titan. We go in buff and do the traditional things like creep across the red line then scatter to our spots. We're doing good and taking down pillars tops, then bottoms to 10% and I'm thinking someones speakers were off or they didn't read the /party channel but one guy blew 2 pillars out by taking the pillar to 0% with his returner. Anyway we get set up and start the crystal running saga, and from there the group lost its momentum because either they were unclear on what to do, weren't paying attention, or just bad playing. We droped another pillar for a miss. Recalled. Moral of the story= Don't group with people who cannot set-up use a mic.

Group 2) Demon Queen. Join a pug (supprisingly alot of Aundairians) and sit and wait and wait for it to fill up. Then we wait for the last person to show. Wait some more, then its decided to have a collection to go buy heal scrolls (could of been done while waiting). So now we wait for the bard to return and pass out scrolls. Finally get to enter and one goes link dead at zone in, so we wait for him to reconnect, and fight respawns. One of the clerics bugs up and cant cast spells, and has technical difficulties, so we all recall (not even making it to the first gate). Cleric goes link dead now were down to one cleric. We give up on the 1st guy, and after a bit throw up a LFM and pick up another cleric. Then one of the other guys want to switch toons and logs to go into each of his alts to check his flagging to see which he wants to bring (meanwhile the whole raid waits). Finnally we get underway the second time and stop again so someone can fill the last spot so were fighting respawns while someone runs through the marketplace. Finally we get to the DQ and we take her out easy and loot is awarded, but the fight it seemed was getting there instead of the actuall fight. Moral of the story= If a raid isn't underway within 10 min of it filling up, find a new raid leader (you can have been done already).

Group 3) Reavers Fate. Join a group and if I remember right it was a well balanced mix of the servers. Think we had 8 people in the raid which is plenty. Had the right classes. People could talk and lissen on the mic. We were forming and underway within a reasonable amount of time. Then the call is given to CC along the wall and the giant is fought a bit towards the center. Big mistake from my perspective because we didn't avoid fighting a bunch of the elementals. We were not centered so healing was a chore for the clerics. Bottom line is we ended up all in the room except for someone on the lever and we couldn't recover no matter how many times he threw the lever. So allot of XP debt was generated. Moral of the story= Just because you know what works, don't assume everyone does, share it before it becomes an issue.

Like to hear from you guys on some interesting groups you've had since our cross server mixing has begun.

Boldrin
08-05-2007, 12:28 PM
I've run a few Reaver Raids and DQ raids since the merge. I have definitely noticed a lot of difference in playing styles as well.
I have a set method for the reaver when on my tank, and another method when taking my rogue through, but the Reaver is always fought in the same place and CC is always kept in the same area. I heard a few people in my first group say "Wow this place is so much better because we don't have to have as many CC orbs up, so obviously they had been running it a different way. In thr reaver communication is key, and you NEED people on mics in my opinion, especially when it comes to coordinating puzzle. The first time through failed, CC was not kept up and communication was not there when we got to puzzle solving time(not enough mics). But, I ran it later that day and had no problems. Both Reaver runs I did were 7 man or less generally using 2 tanks, 2 clers and 2 casters or a caster and a bard.
Just finished a DQ raid , 3 man , my rogue, caster and a cler. The caster had never run 3 man before, but we communicated well and it went smoothly, 10 minute run. I have learned that I can take a monkey through DQ and make it happen as long as they can follow direction, but this guy actually did a great job, and I'm sure he'll be taking his friends on 3 man runs in the future :).

Luckily I haven't had any horrible experiences running PUGs, people do things differently, but when someone is able to lead them and have them all on the same page there is rarely a problem. Hopefully things continue running smoothly, and hopefully I learn a thing or 2 to make my raiding even more efficient.

Conejo
08-05-2007, 05:19 PM
if you need a mic, you haven't been playing games long enough.

Boldrin
08-05-2007, 05:42 PM
Ain't that the truth!!

Hakushi
08-05-2007, 10:50 PM
Moral of the story= Don't group with people who cannot set-up use a mic.

Updated Morale of the story= Explain the quest exactly and if needed by typing it to make sure everyone understand perfectly.

A lot of people don't use a mic in this game, that dosn't mean they are bad players and people you don't want to team with. You can talk, and they will understand what you said, or you can just type, it's not so difficult.

Litz
08-06-2007, 12:42 AM
if you need a mic, you haven't been playing games long enough.

In coordinating the Titan run with pug players who are just getting to know each other from a server merge, Ya I'd say its needed. When things don't go as planed, no matter how well you describe things in /type its not going to be quick enough for teams to work together.

Vox
08-06-2007, 03:15 AM
I'm going to disagree with you here Litz... I love mics, I love built in voice chat. But it's not a requirement, not even close. Months before I joined TA I had several occasions where I grouped with a deaf player. He played smartly, rarely used type chat, but took in everything that was said. In situations where the group communicated appropriately through type chat he played aggressively and within the gameplan outlined, in situations where they didn't he played cautiously and allowed the actions of the group and situations to determine what he would be doing. Admittedly he was playing a bard at the time, which made it a touch easier to sit back in a supporting role, but in those situations where communication was clear and concise he was easily capable of fulfilling any role his character could fulfill.

While mics may make things easier, lack thereof should not be an excuse for poor group play.

Vox

Vardak
08-06-2007, 04:15 AM
I don't use a mic it hasn't been much of a handicap. The only times not being able to speak has been an issue is those occasions where its either run or type, usually means an uber zerg and coordination isn't really the issue.

Shade
08-06-2007, 08:18 AM
"Group 1) - Moral of the story= Don't group with people who cannot set-up use a mic."
I dunno about that. I lead and did the pillars on dozens of pug runs thru titan, when the quest was brand new (and full of bugs), with players who had never done it before, and I did not have a mic at the time. We were successfull almost 100%. Key was carefull explanations and planing, if each player knows there role, you dont have problems with teh wrong person attacking the pillars.

While I agree having a mic there is 100x easier for timing, it is not required. Personally I always use my mic there now for ease of comm, but I wouldnt exclude a skilled player from doing pillar/crystals due to lack of mic long as there quick on party chat.

"Group 2) Moral of the story= If a raid isn't underway within 10 min of it filling up, find a new raid leader (you can have been done already)."
While in this case, it might of been his fault...Sometimes thats not the fault of a raid leader. If there just aren't enough people ready you have to wait, all you can do. While I personally might kick someone whos unnessary for taking abnormally long, I would offer extra patience in occasions such as this where the server just merged.

Group 3) Moral of the story= Just because you know what works, don't assume everyone does, share it before it becomes an issue.
True. Definetely need to have a plan and explain it well to do raids.

Dark_Helmet
08-06-2007, 12:03 PM
I'm noticing a definate differance in styles of play between the servers. I'm not going to generalize and label servers but rather just share my experiences. Your welcome to also.

Like to hear from you guys on some interesting groups you've had since our cross server mixing has begun.

Yes, different play style but I find the style is different between groups on the SAME servers as well:

First I don't use a MIC:
I find that fun,casual gamers use the Mic to chat and then type in relevant data (except for the quick shouts of "someone behind us" or "held").
As a cleric when someone says "need lesser restore" and I always have to ask WHO. When they type it, I know who it is and I don't have to interfere with the leader who is giving commands (or learning what someone's kid just threw up :eek: ).
PoP, type in the code and you don't have to recall it (just scroll up to see DUUD). When someone goes AFK, they can see what is happening (top down, bottom up , chest in Fire, etc.)
But, not to say the MIC is over rated, you should always have a person on MIC do the count down for pillars or when things are timed.

As for Titan: We never prep ALL of the pillars, but do them one at a time. and we don't "spread out" it just causes random deaths.

Enjoy Lagfest 2007 (aka Khyber is laaagtastic!)

Litz
08-06-2007, 01:49 PM
Maybee its better to say then we differ on HOW we use mics. When raiding my guys know not to chit chat and it is for tactical info. Sometimes I do tend to bark commands alot, but I do yied the right away to people wanting to say something tactical.

I think peoples impression of using mics is from grouping with people who just chat to chew fat or create or drag on a soap opera. If that is all the mic is used for it does need to go. In our case and alot of others from Aundair (and I'm sure some of the other servers to) the mic is used as a tool not by one.

Also way above someone brought up Blitzen. I grouped with him a long time before I even found out he was deaf he was that good. I think in his case he is an exception. You got to admit he was better when grouping with people he knew, and knew thier play style than complete strangers. In my example the /type was in very limited amounts and when it hit the fan it was none or too late.

Vyr_Vandalous
08-06-2007, 05:01 PM
I'm going to disagree with you here Litz... I love mics, I love built in voice chat. But it's not a requirement, not even close. Months before I joined TA I had several occasions where I grouped with a deaf player. He played smartly, rarely used type chat, but took in everything that was said. In situations where the group communicated appropriately through type chat he played aggressively and within the gameplan outlined, in situations where they didn't he played cautiously and allowed the actions of the group and situations to determine what he would be doing. Admittedly he was playing a bard at the time, which made it a touch easier to sit back in a supporting role, but in those situations where communication was clear and concise he was easily capable of fulfilling any role his character could fulfill.

While mics may make things easier, lack thereof should not be an excuse for poor group play.

Vox

Yo Guys...

Although you have established thing's on your own home servers that mic's are not required... if you join any group here you will find that it is expected of you.

We learned long ago that people without mic's are either newblette's or bad player's or plat farmer's.

I understand your point of view and you may be better than sliced bread but don't be surprised by the initial intolerance of it by fellow people of Khyber.

Cheers.

Soul-Shaker
08-06-2007, 05:32 PM
Vyr just called me a newbette :(. haha I had a mic for a little while before my headset that went with it broke and I returned it. I never really used it, why? Its just not my style to use push to talk and cant use auto with sensitivity because theres to much noise around me. The other main reason is finding a way for my to effectively hold down an extra key to just talk since my hand is already busy since I play a heavy shooter style of play(jumping, tabbing, ctrl+* for my alternate quick slots, strafe, back/foward) and there is a 3/4 key button press limit that I hate running into when I do something like that. I dont really have problems just typing things out when I need to though.

Litz
08-06-2007, 05:44 PM
I use left alt for Ventrilo and X for ingame voice.. Tough part is deciphering 2 conversations at once.

Vyr_Vandalous
08-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Vyr just called me a newbette :(. haha I had a mic for a little while before my headset that went with it broke and I returned it. I never really used it, why? Its just not my style to use push to talk and cant use auto with sensitivity because theres to much noise around me. The other main reason is finding a way for my to effectively hold down an extra key to just talk since my hand is already busy since I play a heavy shooter style of play(jumping, tabbing, ctrl+* for my alternate quick slots, strafe, back/foward) and there is a 3/4 key button press limit that I hate running into when I do something like that. I dont really have problems just typing things out when I need to though.

I would never say such a thing about "The Shaker"

You should know by now man.. that you are ABOVE all mortal and petty issues.. You stand in a class all your own.

Peace Soul!~

Vyr.

Conejo
08-06-2007, 06:49 PM
We learned long ago that people without mic's are either newblette's or bad player's or plat farmer's.

we learned long ago that people who yammer too much are to be ignored.

if they knew, they wouldn't talk, they'd just get it done.

Litz
08-06-2007, 06:59 PM

The ones that know, have to let the ones that don't know, know, and the others that know the other way know which way its to be done.. nuff said.

Conejo
08-06-2007, 07:00 PM
The ones that know, have to let the ones that don't know, know, and the others that know the other way know which way its to be done.. nuff said.

imparting knowledge != yammering.

Aranticus
08-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Litz, i disagree with your assessment of the use of mic. sometimes its not the presence or absence of voice chat but the person itself. many in riedra has come to known me for not using the mic. infact just the other day when i decided to chat, some were like "oh! i finally heard you!". a mic is an aid, i agree but its not a necessity. i have ran pug dragon, dq and TS raids w/o the use of the mic. sure its longer but it worked out fine as long as everyone is clear.

i've been in situations where voice is the only choice of communicating. but what the use if you have someone who just refuse to listen? (dang! sounds like my students) then there are those who when did something wrong wil refuse to admit the fault and keep pushing it to others. text chat in this case can be used as evidence and thus helps in making players be more responsible in their behavior. lastly, proper telephony must be kept when using voice. i have been in runs where there is only one person yakking away about his uberness etc. i'd say i rather watch the text then listen.

Vox
08-07-2007, 02:15 AM
Also way above someone brought up Blitzen. I grouped with him a long time before I even found out he was deaf he was that good. I think in his case he is an exception. You got to admit he was better when grouping with people he knew, and knew thier play style than complete strangers. In my example the /type was in very limited amounts and when it hit the fan it was none or too late.

I understood what was going on in your example Litz, my point was that your conclusion placed the blame in the wrong place. It is not the fault of the people for not getting mics set up. The fault lies with people failing to communicate effectively. Regardless of the method available. If they don't have a mic then they need to type sufficiently to make up that disadvantage.

In regards to the "prejudice" Khyber has been displaying against non-mic users... you people will /HATE/ grouping with TA;P I swear getting most of TA to talk in DDO voice instead of Ventrilo is like pulling teeth sometimes:eek: Your loss as there are a lot of excellent players in that particular guild. You'll also miss out on opportunities to group with classy talented individuals like the aforementioned Blitzen, again, your loss.

Vox

Inkblack
08-07-2007, 07:43 AM
people will /HATE/ grouping with TA ;P I swear getting most of TA to talk in DDO voice instead of Ventrilo is like pulling teeth sometimes
We can hear instructions though. And some of us have one key mapped to Vent and one mapped to DDO's chat. I just forget which one we should be using...

Months ago I was running with a PUG through all of Threnal. It was a really fun group, with lots of good conversation and laughs. For the first 45 minutes I couldn't get them to laugh at any of my jokes. Then I figured out that I was using the wrong chat key. They did laugh at that when I told them...

Ink

kbmay44
08-07-2007, 08:45 AM
Then I figured out that I was using the wrong chat key. They did laugh at that when I told them...

Ink

I can't tell you how many times my guildies are telling me "they can't hear you, you are talking in vent." when we have some pick ups in the group. :D

Vyr_Vandalous
08-07-2007, 10:35 AM
we learned long ago that people who yammer too much are to be ignored.

ya but.....

We are now in the position where we are having to show people/teach them efficient means of doing dungeons.

Why are you dogging every post i make? i been going through them and at every point your presence is there replying on it with animosity.

Chill out man... and deal with it.

Litz
08-07-2007, 10:50 AM
ya but.....

We are now in the position where we are having to show people/teach them efficient means of doing dungeons.

Why are you dogging every post i make? i been going through them and at every point your presence is there replying on it with animosity.

Chill out man... and deal with it.

Thats just part of getting to know Aundair, and Conejo (nothing personal Conejo). He does tend to post alot and its not uncommon for us Aundairians to have strong opinions on the forums. Its this livley forum discussion I like even if I'm discovered to be a fraud.. :eek:

kbmay44
08-07-2007, 11:21 AM
You we notice an increase of forum activity now that Aundair has been merged into these forums. That should have been a disclaimer posted when this happened. Even though Aundair was considered a small pop. server we had one of the most active forums in the game.

Hvymetal
08-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Yo Guys...

Although you have established thing's on your own home servers that mic's are not required... if you join any group here you will find that it is expected of you.

I understand your point of view and you may be better than sliced bread but don't be surprised by the initial intolerance of it by fellow people of Khyber.

Cheers.
Not necissarily true, I've been here since headstart, rarely use a mic, comp is in bedroom and don't think girlfriend wants to hear me using nerd-speak while shes trying to sleep:)

Dark_Helmet
08-07-2007, 01:25 PM

Can't push to talk a single key yet can type things out? N00b, you just about killed our arguement that more intelligent folks go without mics :rolleyes:

Yep, when my headset mic broke I never replaced it (Timmie would just call me a cheapa** for not getting a replacement but I like the term frugal :D ).

When I travel (which has been frequently), my laptop mic sounds funny as well, so I just gravitated from using the mic completely (to the relief of those I group with :cool: ).

Besides, if new people heard my voice they might want an autograph (no I am not on America's Most Wanted ;) )

Lastly, with the latest lag, the voice channel keeps breaking up and I can't understand that much (not just me as others in the group are saying the same thing).

...Now if I can just figure out how to mute certain warforges :p

Conejo
08-07-2007, 05:12 PM
Thats just part of getting to know Aundair, and Conejo (nothing personal Conejo). He does tend to post alot and its not uncommon for us Aundairians to have strong opinions on the forums. Its this livley forum discussion I like even if I'm discovered to be a fraud.. :eek:

quite well put, really.
we're opinionated, noisy, and not afraid to be a little pushy.
of course it was all with a touch of family-love (not that kind, you sickos) even if we don't like each other all the time.

i don't take it personally, even if you point out i'm being a total ass.

Adyrn
08-07-2007, 07:25 PM
There are few opinionated original Khyberians here as well. It's all good. We can give as well as we get. Though noone will see me much, I hate PUGS, no offense, and love playing with my guildies when I have time. I partied a pug with a lowbie, and from different servers. One guy was a donkey's bottom, but I won't hold it against everyone from that server.

Chiron
08-10-2007, 04:05 PM
My 2 cents...

1) I used a mic way back during headstart. But even with it continually on, don't think 1/2 the things I said was picked up by people. Even now, as another poster on another forum stated, even with the same settings, people have different volumes coming through the mics so that my options are generally either to **** off my neighbors by having it jacked up all the way so that I could hear the lowest person or have it on a normal setting which meant I could almost never hear the lowest person. This could explain the issues I had with my mic. I have not used a mic since. The only issue I've ever seen from not having a mic is those that aren't used to ever looking in party chat which I've found to be more the exception. Otherwise, I've led raids w/o a mic and even led countdowns - I mean, how hard is it to type "3", "2", "1" and then pull my lever? So in this part, I obviously disagree with your viewpoint. As someone else said, gameplay is based on the skill of a player and not based on whether or not they can speak through a mic.

2) A raid leader's job is difficult, especially when leading a pug. Not only do they have to recruit all the right classes, they also have to keep the group together as a 'team'. Yes, we are all busy and would obviously prefer to not have a lot of lag between quests, but if there were legitimate reasons for not starting right away (e.g. getting buffs, pots/scrolls, dc-ed player and giving him some time to come back, etc.) I can't blame the raid leader. The point of the game (at least for me) is the community. You don't want to be an *ss to the community. Although I do agree that in your scenario, there was an inordinate amount of lag, I really don't think you can put a 'time' on when to quit on a raid leader.

3) One that I can agree on with you. :)

I love my guildmates (who don't have a problem with no mic) and I love to PUG (who I guess are a little more opinionated on this subject). And yes, I'm a native 'Khyberian' that's been playing since headstart. Per other posts, I guess I'm one of nubs for not having a mic for this long. So be it. For anyone that doesn't want people like me w/o a mic, just make sure your LFM says 'mic's required' and I'll be more than happy to avoid you at all costs. And it of course goes without saying that don't invite any of my toons to your group.

Thanks. Peace.

Soul-Shaker
08-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Can't push to talk a single key yet can type things out? N00b, you just about killed our arguement that more intelligent folks go without mics :rolleyes:

Yep, when my headset mic broke I never replaced it (Timmie would just call me a cheapa** for not getting a replacement but I like the term frugal :D ).

When I travel (which has been frequently), my laptop mic sounds funny as well, so I just gravitated from using the mic completely (to the relief of those I group with :cool: ).

Besides, if new people heard my voice they might want an autograph (no I am not on America's Most Wanted ;) )

Lastly, with the latest lag, the voice channel keeps breaking up and I can't understand that much (not just me as others in the group are saying the same thing).

...Now if I can just figure out how to mute certain warforges :p

hehe I type in bursts (auto run, type, deselect type area, go on my business, type more, deselect, resume, type, enter) you wont want to hear a few incomplete words, then nothing over and over. Also I cant find a easy access key that I can use by habbit. already using all my close ones and others just throw off my rythem. Wish my mouse had 8 buttons but is still the mouse in shape that I have currently

Litz
08-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Wish my mouse had 8 buttons but is still the mouse in shape that I have currently

http://www.ideazon.com/us/products/mercgamingkeyboard.asp

Soul-Shaker
08-10-2007, 05:34 PM
http://www.ideazon.com/us/products/mercgamingkeyboard.asp

lol that makes typing horrible and access to f1-12 and ctrl f1-12. yes I use them. I just need a mouse with 8 buttons left, right, wheel(no stupid tilt), double left on a key, and 4 other buttons that i can turn into 8 with ctrl combo :).

Litz
08-10-2007, 07:04 PM
I just need a mouse with 8 buttons left, right, wheel(no stupid tilt), double left on a key, and 4 other buttons that i can turn into 8 with ctrl combo :).

Think this might be close, but your call:
http://www.ideazon.com/us/products/reapergamingmouse.asp

Oswald_Gobblesnot
08-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Not sure about this, but I'm finding it difficult to get the auto-buff from non-aundairians. I'm also seeing that the non-aundairians tend to self-buff and run off. I've had the beg and plead for a fire/cold resist in a POP run that contained five non-aundairians. When playing my mage I tend to buff up a lot and after casting three out of the ten buffs I cast on someone from Khyber, I got a message of "Whoa! That's a lot of buffs!" And to think he said that before I was even halfway done! I even got ignored when I called for a group haste.

My experiences with the Aundairians might be a little skewed as several of these groups contained people I had grouped with before. But it got me thinking about how the styles seemed to be different. Most of the people I know from Aundair all wait for buffs when there's a mage or cleric around. I for one when playing a non-spellcaster will zone in and wait for those nice buffs. I'll take that greater hero, elemental resists, spell resistance, aid and any bard buff within reach.

So, I hold it up to you my new fellow Khyberian, since we are all now part of the same server, do we wait for the buffs and pass them out freely? Or are we going to continue to be self-serving, greedy and zerging? If it's the latter, the monsters may end up overrunning Stormreach.

Litz
08-13-2007, 12:18 PM
I can't say its one server or another but another thing that gets me about buffing is when people zone in and stand there so you get a stock pile of chars which is hard to target manually and you never know which ones completley loaded in yet or not. It should be a standard practice to zone in and move a bit, then stand still and wait for everyone else to zone in and buff up.. Exceptions may be where a quest doesn't require any heavy fighting for some time like Velah or something, but that is out of the norm.

Boldrin
08-13-2007, 12:26 PM
Personally Litz I usually don't manually target people, it's easier not to, but I will say it was fun leading you guys through the Shadow crypt the other day. You all seemed like good people, and follow direction well. You would have never know that none of you have ever run it, it was a cakewalk. Well I guess having 3 clerics in a quest full of undead isn't bad either, lol. I'll group with your guildies any time.

Litz
08-13-2007, 01:22 PM
Personally Litz I usually don't manually target people, it's easier not to, but I will say it was fun leading you guys through the Shadow crypt the other day. You all seemed like good people, and follow direction well. You would have never know that none of you have ever run it, it was a cakewalk. Well I guess having 3 clerics in a quest full of undead isn't bad either, lol. I'll group with your guildies any time.

Thx.. Btw did I mention I hate LotD? Just tying up loose ends on favor and getting ready for LotD3. Likewise though I liked grouping with you and will group any time, just lets do something else :p .

Mad_Hatter23
08-13-2007, 10:36 PM
Not sure about this, but I'm finding it difficult to get the auto-buff from non-aundairians.

It's funny you mention this because I could ask the same about Aundairians. I have run in a decent amount of PUGS post-server merge and have come across quite a few that don't auto-buff... but then again, the same can be said about some casters from Riedra and Khyber. In fact, I've been in a few groups that the casters hardly hasted the group despite the fact that we were all grouped up and very willing to cooperate. (And please, in case someone is thinking it, I don't want to hear the arguement about how casters aren't haste-bots, ect., ect.. I have a couple of casters myself and haste does not leave my list at any time for the simple reason that the benefits outweigh any arguement against it, imho.)

Or are we going to continue to be self-serving, greedy and zerging? If it's the latter, the monsters may end up overrunning Stormreach.

I don't believe you're being fair in this instance. Just because you tend to run with casters that auto-buff does not mean your original server didn't have it's fair share of self-serving, greedy zergers. These people are spread throughout all servers and like I mentioned beforehand, I've noticed that it's not just one particular server population or another.

Overall, I agree that the self-serving, greedy behavior is quite annoying. All we can do is take note and either speak up about it or simply avoid grouping with these people. I'm glad to see you're at least bringing it up. :o

Chiron
08-14-2007, 11:35 AM
Like mad_hatter23 said, every server has it's fair share of every type of player. I don't think you can limit it and say those from one server are better at 'x' and those on another are better at 'y'. Plus it also depends on the scenario. E.g. In loot run weekends, it was common for any class (especially arcane) to go ahead while people were in-between quests repairing, etc. to jump into the pop instance and FoD, PK everything up to the top. In that case, since loot and minimizing the total time of quest (quest time + in-between quest time) were the main priorities, most groups including pugs loved it. On the other hand, doing harder quests or doing a raid with people who've never done would require a little more group buffs, etc.

I too recently was in a party with arcanes that didn't haste, bards that wouldn't sing, etc. Keep in mind that not everyone's played this game as long or are trying a certain class for the first time and may not know what are 'generally accepted' practices. Consequently, if no one says anything, you can't blame them for not automatically knowing. Regardless, I carry a bunch of most of the pots just in case. Sometimes pugging is just a roll of the dice.

For my caster at least, I typically just do blur, greater hero, stoneskin, haste, and ask if people need any resists. With the number of people with resist items on, no point in wasting mana if people don't need it. Also, I'll hit the squishier types generally with jump. Other caster types that do provide buffs will generally do the same, regardless of server.

jkm
08-14-2007, 11:39 AM
don't forget waiting at INT runes to let people in, mercifully ending the onslaught of a certain droning/nagging voice.

worst TS raid EVAR!!!

Emili
08-14-2007, 12:37 PM
I know just as many great players without a mic as I do with one... that's mutually exclusive ... I would expect it to be as owning a mic does not promise any certain degree of skill or intelligence.

The idea that Aundairians buff each other more often then others? Remains to be seen by me... seems I've always seen people buff upon entrnace to a dungeon and those who were unsure always asked what what needed, In fact many casters I know will toss xp out the window by zoning in buffing thier party mates, then recalling for mana in order to unsure a higher sp pool bith back on Riedra and here. I know I often do with my casters.