PDA

View Full Version : Offhand weapon

Relenthe
08-03-2007, 11:16 PM
I have noticed some people that are making 2wf builds make the offhand weapon a light weapon, or something like a curespewing weapon instead of having both weapons strong. Is there any penalty to attack on your secondary hand? Or a limitation of some kind depending on your strength? I could see where a curespewing weapon would come in handy but why would u make a dwarven ranger with a dwarven axe in your main hand and a hand axe in the other?

Qzipoun
08-03-2007, 11:22 PM
You get a penalty to your to-hit bonus when wielding 2 weapons. The heavier your off-hand weapon the bigger the penalty which is why people go for light weapons. Taking the two-weapon fighting feats (or ranger levels) decreases this penalty. With my dwarven ranger, I can dual wield 2 Dwarven Axes with only a -2 to my main hand to-hit!

Relenthe
08-03-2007, 11:29 PM
ok ty, my ranger has weapon finesse, so do i get no penalty to my attack?

Qzipoun
08-03-2007, 11:46 PM
ok ty, my ranger has weapon finesse, so do i get no penalty to my attack?

No, as far as I know weapon finesse has no effect on two weapon fighting.

Normally your to-hit bonus is calculated with your strength modifier but with weapon finesse your dexterity is used instead, I think all off-hand weapon penalties apply the same way.

(test it out by putting a weapon in your main hand then add one in your off hand and see how you attack bonus changes)

Relenthe
08-04-2007, 01:11 AM
ok ty

Hvymetal
08-04-2007, 05:10 AM
With weapon finesse it is most likely you are using light weapons any way, the only finessable non-light weapon is I believe the rapier. If you dual weild 2 non-light weapons your to hit penalty is I believe -4/-4 if you weild a light weapon in your off hand it is I believe -2/-2.