PDA

View Full Version : Raid Loot proposal requires advanced Friends List

Mindspat
08-03-2007, 12:28 PM
There needs to be a better way to track you're DDO friends who are online. The current system is a per-character nusance that subtracts from the core design of the game. Too often there's instances where players are unable to communicate when they wouldn't mind switching character for an adventure.

MMO's are meant to be played with others. This requires an effective means to communicate with those who you enjoy, and desire, to game with. There are other mmorpg's which have well designed global friends lists that facilitate the nescesary logistics to game together.

While I no longer play City of Heroes I am going to assume there are others with a familiarity of it's friends list. In it you're able to designate your Global @name which will allow anyone to send you a tell regardless of the character you're on. Through this you are also able to include the global name to your list to allow each other to communicate. The upside to this is you don't need to tell everyone your global @name since it's still possible to individually add a specific character if needed.

Another benefit is the allowance to create global channels which span across all servers. I'm not aware of the mechanics used to process the various "servers" for DDO although I'd assume this should be possible.

We need a better set of tools to communicate with each other that spans across accounts rather then single characters. It would make the game more enjoyable while increasing subscriber retention if development in this direction was brought to light.

Gimpster
08-03-2007, 01:18 PM
There needs to be a better way to track you're DDO friends who are online. The current system is a per-character nusance that subtracts from the core design of the game.
The raid loot change is only minorly related, but it is true in general that the object ontology of how the friends list is implemented is different from how players want to use it.

You are friends with people, not characters. It should be a rare special exception for someone to create an alt that is not immediately visible to all their current friends. A list based on relationships between player characters instead of the players themselves just leads to additional busy work keeping it updated, as whenever someone makes a new character I must separately add it to all of my own alts.

Inevitably, some of that busy work will be skipped and friends will be briefly unaware their buddies are online because someone was on a newer low-level alt.

Tehran_Adinson
08-03-2007, 01:47 PM
CoH (and CoV) really did have a great friends list.

Great suggestion OP!

Now hopefully some of the devs will read this and check it out if they haven't seen either of those games and possibly implement it. I doubt it would be hard.