PDA

View Full Version : Warchanter builds

fylocron320
08-02-2007, 11:20 PM
im looking for a good warchanter bard build for drow or 28pt build was looking to 2 handed wpn use or wpn sheild pls post you inputs thanks

Mad_Bombardier
08-03-2007, 10:48 AM
Until the Great Purge, there were several Warchanter builds around. WF with Greatsword, Dwarf with Greataxe, etc. :( The only race that gets melee enhancements for 2H weapons is Dwarf with Greataxe. So, that's a good start. 12 AP for melee enhancements gets +2 to-hit and dmg, which is the equivalent of +4 STR.

Put your levelups in STR, and enhancements in Inspired songs and CHA. Learn buff spells (medium CHA = low spell DCs). Take Greataxe as a feat or take a level of Fighter.

For a 28 point build try:
S 16, D 10, C 16, I 8, W 8, Ch 14
1Bard, 1Fighter, then rest in Bard.

Toughness
WS: Slashing
Power Attack
Extend
Lvl 9: ___
Lvl 12: ___

Zyklon
08-03-2007, 11:05 AM
I'm building a Warchanter also... maybe someone that has the Warchanter enhancement can clear this up: Does it require Power Attack?
Char Planner 2.7 has Power Attack as a prereq. but the DDO Compendium doesn't list it as needed... link here. (http://www.ddo.com/index.php?page_id=339&menus=e&do=enhancements&e_cid=class:5&cmi=6:c:5)

-

sigtrent
08-03-2007, 11:13 AM
It requies power attack
The DDO compendium is notoriously inacurate

EinarMal
08-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Until the Great Purge, there were several Warchanter builds around. WF with Greatsword, Dwarf with Greataxe, etc. :( The only race that gets melee enhancements for 2H weapons is Dwarf with Greataxe. So, that's a good start. 12 AP for melee enhancements gets +2 to-hit and dmg, which is the equivalent of +4 STR.

Put your levelups in STR, and enhancements in Inspired songs and CHA. Learn buff spells (medium CHA = low spell DCs). Take Greataxe as a feat or take a level of Fighter.

For a 28 point build try:
S 16, D 10, C 16, I 8, W 8, Ch 14
1Bard, 1Fighter, then rest in Bard.

Toughness
WS: Slashing
Power Attack
Extend
Lvl 9: ___
Lvl 12: ___

Solid start, the only thing I would add is you definitely want IC Slashing as your level 12 feat, and maybe SF UMD for the level 9. That is assuming that you want to NOT be a CC caster at all as a warchanter. Your DC save based spells will be terrible and not worth the trouble. Nothing wrong with that but something to be aware of.

sigtrent
08-03-2007, 12:33 PM
I think there are 4 basic warchanter types that are pretty optimal with a lot of variations...

Dwarf Axe guy = Lots of str/con, axe enhancments, usualy a little multi classing

Human Greatsword guy = If you think you can score a sword of shaddows, either take a feat for it or a class level in fighter. Lots of Str.

Human buffing guy = Doesn't focus on fighting so much but is still decent with q-staff or rapier. Less Str than other builds most likely.

Elf/Drow Rapier guy = Either dual wield or STR based, uses rapier enhancments, more AC than the others due to dex bonuses. Drow version gets easy charisma for good casting.

I have the first one, and more heavily multi classed than most. Just recently got my Warchanter enhancment and it's great! Does more damage than my high level fighter etc...

Prinstoni
08-03-2007, 01:04 PM
If you want a melee Bard...

My drow Bard is specked out as a spell slinger, but
Feats are
Enchantment
Toughness
Improved Critical slashing
Extend (for buffs)

After buffing the whole party you only have about half your sps which are basically good for heals anyway, but you can do the occasional dancing sphere/hold/fascinate.
His stats are currently (with tomes and feats)

24 (16 +6 item +2 tome) (26 with rage spell every 4 mins)
22 (+13 +2 elf dex +1 tome +6 item)
20 (12 +6 item +2 tome)
10 (9 +1 tome before first level)
12 (9 +1 tome +2 wis helm (BAM))
30 (20 base (3 at level) +6 item +2 tome +2 bard enhance)

Enhancements full song extend line
Full DPS song Line
Full to hit song line

(other garbage I had to take for Spell slinger to get more sps)

He has around 260 hps.
Delvin Suit (full dex bonus, Golden Greaves (3/dr), Iron Mans, spec ops, invaders ring) +40 ac (higher with pali and/or ranger)
I can buff him with songs and spells to a 30/32 to hit and 15/16 to damage (Not bad for a BAB of only 10)

If I had taken him more the Warchanter line it would have been sick!!!

Go odd numbers on some base stats (less important ones like int and wis in this case). There is an ample supply of +1 tomes, and +3 tomes will drop more frequently by the time you really play the Warchanter at 14 ( maybe even 16).

If you are going to mix and match your bard with another class do it with a Pali (2 levels to get the save bonus, OMG that would be sick)

EinarMal
08-03-2007, 01:07 PM
If you are going to mix and match your bard with another class do it with a Pali (2 levels to get the save bonus, OMG that would be sick)

This is unfortunately not possible due to alignment restrictions. Splashing a level of fighter is your best bet for the free feat and weapon prof.

Prinstoni
08-05-2007, 06:32 AM
This is unfortunately not possible due to alignment restrictions. Splashing a level of fighter is your best bet for the free feat and weapon prof.

Good point. I forgot about that. But it would be cool if you could... :)

A_Sheep
08-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't suggest my Taalisyn Warchanter build unless you have 32 points to go with. That darn dex requirement eats up loads of ability build points.

The advantage of going twf is pretty big, though. The bonus to damage from Inspire courage is doubled by dual wielding compared to the THF Dwarf/Human.

smyter
08-07-2007, 08:01 AM
I recenty rerolled my warchanter build. I have the drow rapier guy. I had thrown in a level of fighter for the extra feat, weapon proficiency, and fighter toughness enhancement. But being 1 level behind in spells, spell duration being less, 1 less song, down a few spell points... I didn't find it worth it.

Mad_Bombardier
08-07-2007, 09:40 AM
I recenty rerolled my warchanter build. I have the drow rapier guy. I had thrown in a level of fighter for the extra feat, weapon proficiency, and fighter toughness enhancement. But being 1 level behind in spells, spell duration being less, 1 less song, down a few spell points... I didn't find it worth it.I think it depends. For an Elf/Drow, you get Longsword/Rapier proficiency and you're all set. :) But, for a Dwarf, you must burn a feat on weapon proficiency or take a Fighter level to use axes. And at that point, the extra feat helps too. But, you are right that many people do not like to MC their Bards for the reasons you stated.

DasLurch
08-07-2007, 10:24 AM
I think it depends. For an Elf/Drow, you get Longsword/Rapier proficiency and you're all set. :) But, for a Dwarf, you must burn a feat on weapon proficiency or take a Fighter level to use axes. And at that point, the extra feat helps too. But, you are right that many people do not like to MC their Bards for the reasons you stated.

ALL Bards get Longsword and Rapier for free. Short Bow and Shortsword too.

As far as a warchanter goes, I'm making a human one. Lev1 Bard, lev2 Fighter, then all bard. You end up with 2 extra feats this way, don't have to waste one on a weapon proficiency, and opens up some possibilities for later on. Plus it lets you add another point of Str with human adaptibility and another Cha point. Starting with a 16 Cha you can still get to a 28-30 with little effort, and some nice loot. You ac will be a bit gimped, but you will have displacement so it wont hurt too much. You can still get all of your song enhancements, Greater Heroism, Rage, Blur, Displacement, and any other self buffs you can/ want to take. I've found Bards work really well with general stats. Mine started with:

STARTING ENDING STATS
Str 14 (+2 at Level ups, +1 tome, +1 human enhancement, and +5/6 item) 22-24
Dex 14 (+1 tome and a +5/6 item) 20
Con 14 ( +1-+2 tome from a raid or favor and a +5/6 item) 20-22
Int 10 (none really needed) 10
Wis 10 (none really needed, but any helps out your will saves) 10-14
Cha 16 (+1 lev-up, +4 enhancements, +1-+2 tome, +5/6 item 26-28

The end numbers are a bit flexible on what you have availible. The low end numbers will still get you very nice stats for the end game. As for the feats I've taken...
Lv1- Toughness, human bonus- Mental Toughness
Lv2- fighter bonus- Weapon Focus
Lv3- Skill Focus: UMD
Lv6- Power Attack
Lv9- Extend
Lv12- Imp Crit

All told, I should end up with over 200 HP, and around 750-800 SP.

nbhs275
08-07-2007, 11:02 AM
Warchanter isnt all that great considering you need weapon focus for it. If your going high strength and a two hander then dwarf, WF, or human work well.

Either human bard 14 with greatsword proficiency and improved crit

WF 12/2 bard//barb with the power attack enhancements.

Dwarf 12/2 bard//fighter with cleaves

Though dipping out of bard hurts your songs, and all warchanter does is bring them back in line with a pure bard, maybe giving you a one difference +/- either way.

My battle bard uses spellsinger, because it helps fortify his overall bard strengths.

smyter
08-07-2007, 01:22 PM
to me the dwarf/drow/elf bonuses to hit and damage with axes, rapiers,longswords far surpass any human adaptability enhancement. but I do like your build nonetheless.

MysticRhythms
08-13-2007, 11:18 AM
The advantage of going twf is pretty big, though. The bonus to damage from Inspire courage is doubled by dual wielding compared to the THF Dwarf/Human.

The THF versions gets more out of Power Attack and Strength. In the end, it's a wash but the THF version wastes fewer feats.

Clawstorm
08-13-2007, 12:30 PM
This isn't my creation, but I have one up to lvl 8 and I'm not quite certain I like this build more than my lvl 14 Pure Bard Spellsinger...but here it is:

Bard 10/Fighter4 (true neutral)

Str 16 (26=16+1 lvl +1 enh +2 tome +6 item)
Dex 17 (22=17 +1 enh +4 item)
Con 12 (22=12 +2 lvls +2 tome +6 item)
Int 10
Wis 8
Cha 14 (22=14 +2 enh +6 item)

level progression:
brd 1-4
ftr 5
brd 6-8
ftr 9
brd 10-11
ftr 12
brd 13
ftr 14

feats:
1-TWF
3-Extend
5-(FB) weapon focus piercing
6-Power Attack
9-Toughness
9-(FB) ITWF
12-IC Piercing
14-(FB)GTWF

enhancements:
Inspired Attack 2
Inspired Damage 2
Inspired Bravery 2
Warchanter
Lingering Song 2
EOM 3
Elf Dex 1
Fighter Str 1
Bard Cha 2
Drow Melee Damage 2
Drow Melee Attack 2
Fighter Toughness 2
Extra Song 3

At lvl 15 take weapon spec for +2 more damage. I use Rapiers and Shortswords for max racial bonus.

EinarMal
08-13-2007, 12:55 PM
This isn't my creation, but I have one up to lvl 8 and I'm not quite certain I like this build more than my lvl 14 Pure Bard Spellsinger...but here it is:

Str 16 (26=16+1 lvl +1 enh +2 tome +6 item)
Dex 17 (22=17 +1 enh +4 item)
Con 12 (22=12 +2 lvls +2 tome +6 item)
Int 10
Wis 8
Cha 14 (22=14 +2 enh +6 item)

level progression:
brd 1-4
ftr 5
brd 6-8
ftr 9
brd 10-11
ftr 12
brd 13
ftr 14

feats:
1-TWF
3-Extend
5-(FB) weapon focus piercing
6-Power Attack
9-Toughness
9-(FB) ITWF
12-IC Piercing
14-(FB)GTWF

enhancements:
Inspired Attack 2
Inspired Damage 2
Inspired Bravery 2
Warchanter
Lingering Song 2
EOM 3
Elf Dex 1
Fighter Str 1
Bard Cha 2
Drow Melee Damage 2
Drow Melee Attack 2
Fighter Toughness 2
Extra Song 3

At lvl 15 take weapon spec for +2 more damage. I use Rapiers and Shortswords for max racial bonus.

Hang in there until at least level 9. Without ITWF you start to lag behind you will notice a big increase when you can take that feat next level. It really does make a huge difference.

MysticRhythms
08-13-2007, 01:08 PM

This is just my opinion but ... blech. The Bard spells, abilities, mana and enhancements are better for a Bard 14. You only lose 1 BaB sticking with Bard. I don't think the feat gain is worth it IMO.

EinarMal
08-13-2007, 01:24 PM
This is just my opinion but ... blech. The Bard spells, abilities, mana and enhancements are better for a Bard 14. You only lose 1 BaB sticking with Bard. I don't think the feat gain is worth it IMO.

Yeah I am not going to argue anymore about this. But if you aren't really into CC casting then 12/2 or 10/4 Bard/Fighter is a fun build if you like TWF. It is also very effective and if you go warchanter you still have very strong songs.

A dedicated battle bard doesn't lose as much from less Bard levels because they are not casting CC spells. If you like casting CC spells then I wouldn't recommend it.

Bard 14 is better if you are not melee focused. If you are then MC builds are often stronger, especially for TWF.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but it does work well.

Clawstorm
08-13-2007, 02:22 PM
I have a Spellsinger CC/Haggle ***** bard and I love him, Bard 14 all the way baby! He's great for a lot of things but I did notice that some melee heavy parties simply kill things so fast that CC isn't always THAT important. Because of this I'm working on that duel wielder.

I plan to use the CC bard for spellcaster heavy parties or CC and the Warchanter in parties that have heavy hitters with good gear as a buffer. With his songs and buffs he should make killing a little faster at the expense of CC. Sorta like Crack and heroin (Haste and +hit/+damage) Warchanter! The melees' drug dealers..LoL

EinarMal
08-13-2007, 03:16 PM
I have a Spellsinger CC/Haggle ***** bard and I love him, Bard 14 all the way baby! He's great for a lot of things but I did notice that some melee heavy parties simply kill things so fast that CC isn't always THAT important. Because of this I'm working on that duel wielder.

I plan to use the CC bard for spellcaster heavy parties or CC and the Warchanter in parties that have heavy hitters with good gear as a buffer. With his songs and buffs he should make killing a little faster at the expense of CC. Sorta like Crack and heroin (Haste and +hit/+damage) Warchanter! The melees' drug dealers..LoL

Agree 100%, after making 1 pure Bard CC caster what else is a Bard to do? If you like rolling alts and want other good options there are many. Roll a 13/1 two handed fighting balanced Bard could be spellsinger or warchanter. How about a 12/2 or 10/4 TWF warchanter. How about a Bard/Rogue? All of those are fun and effective as well just different than a pure Bard.