PDA

View Full Version : what does dps stand for?

Relenthe
08-02-2007, 06:49 PM
Ive been looking through these forums for quite a while and i assume that it has something to do with damage. My guess is damage per second but im not sure.

Partymaker
08-02-2007, 06:52 PM
Exactly.

Damage Per Second

:D

dragnmoon
08-02-2007, 06:54 PM
Ive been looking through these forums for quite a while and i assume that it has something to do with damage. My guess is damage per second but im not sure.

Duel Packing Shurikens?

Douple Posted Shennagins?

Deeply Philanthropistic Sharks?

Dead Poets Society?

Dipping Pillows Slowly?

wundernewb
08-03-2007, 07:37 AM
Doooooom Posters Suck :D

Zenako
08-03-2007, 08:13 AM
In theory dps = Damage per second.

In reality it is something that is very hard to measure, but stands as a relative measure of how fast someone can dish out damage to an enemy.

Someone with a dagger (d4) will, all other things being equal, do less damage than someone using a greatsword (2d6). However, if that dagger is magical and being used by a high level rogue *** skills and an ally for backstabbing boosts, then the actual weapon in hand might not matter much at all.

d4 (dagger) + 6d6 backstab + various boosts can render the actual weapon in hand only a minor part of the number.

In addition, DPS also can refer to the rate at which spell casters can dish out damage to enemies as well. A well cast Wall of Fire can do lots of damage every few seconds to everyone in it or running through it.

DemonMage
08-03-2007, 10:35 AM
d4 (dagger) + 6d6 backstab + various boosts can render the actual weapon in hand only a minor part of the number.

Which is why DPS calculations take into effect all of that, rather than just the weapon you wield.

Olaustt
08-03-2007, 10:55 AM
Actually DPS = Deaths Per Second (especially in the case of The Battle Mage) :D

Bamff
08-03-2007, 11:09 AM
I don't know if this is the case with DDO but in some games the DPS is based on 'X' defense. In some games certain creatures have a type of damage absorption and throws off the DPS rating on a weapon.

As an example if the calculated DPS of a weapon is 10 points, but the creature absorbs 3 points of damage per hit, then the actual DPS would be lower.

PurdueDave
08-03-2007, 01:36 PM
As partymaker wrote, it's damage per second. It's used more as slang in DDO because very rarely do people actually calculate it...DDO has too many variables to express it succinctly. In DDO, high DPS (or just "DPS"..."DPS fighter" for example) usually means focused (by feats and enhancements) on dealing lots of damage with melee weapons.

Plynx
08-08-2007, 06:46 PM
DPS means "damage per second"... no caveats. That's all it means. It's not a slang term or a property of a weapon. Many things affect it. Most people do not put a specific number on it, since there can be too many variables to pin down. It generally isn't as useful to get an exact number as a relative measurement (i.e. comparing two weapons, two builds, two feats, etc. to decide which provides more dps). There are some online tools available to help with this, although they must make certain assumptions, at least the assumptions are reasonable and consistent and so form a good basis for comparison.

I have seen many people who use dps as a synonym for "damage"--for example, trying to compare dps by rattling off their highest crits. That is most assuredly wrong. The "ps" part is an important part of dps. Your actual real world dps can be affected by seemingly unrelated things, like your will save, balance skill, foot speed, and feats like quick draw. Time spent being held or tripped, running from one enemy to the next, disengaging from battle to receive healing, or even waiting for others to engage before you do--is all time spent not dealing damage--and these things lower your real dps.

In my experience, players of melee characters typically make errors in comparing dps by overestimating crit range/multiplier, assuming armor class 0 in their comparisons, neglecting monster DR, swing speed, reach, and glancing blows. When making dps comparisons, it helps to use a model as close to the real world as possible. Nothing is perfect, but only you know what your typical combat situation is like, and therefore you are the best qualified to make the assumptions that must form the basis of any dps comparison.

Hope this helped.

ccheath776
08-09-2007, 03:16 PM
I thought it meant damage per swing?

PurdueDave
08-09-2007, 03:40 PM
I thought it meant damage per swing?

It comes from other MMO's, where it's calculated and expressed as per second (either as an item property or real calculation taken from that last n seconds).

Tenkari_Rozahas
08-09-2007, 04:17 PM
personally, I think DPS should mean two things. Damage Per Swing, and Damage Per Spell <.<