PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to say hi

cridus
08-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Hello to all, I'm new to this game just installed today, and played around with it a bit so far. I have played several other MMO's including WoW and City of Heroes, After only a few solo quests I do enjoy the feel of the dungeons, the DM's voiceover is absolutely fantantic.

I'm not looking for any min/maxing advice or build advice as I'm sure I can make any character type work. I am interested to know what would be the best class to solo with as I tend to do that a lot.
Also I see the mention of the drow race, how is that unlocked??

Well I just wanted to say hello, I will probably be ghosting on the forums a bit as I find with MMO's it does help to read up on what I'm doing.

*raises his mug of frothy mead* To many adventures, may the road lead to a cozy fireplace, a friendly bardic song, and a warm bed.

Eelpout
08-02-2007, 05:58 PM
Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Newb.

:D

Seriously though.. Welcome!

GeneralDiomedes
08-02-2007, 06:10 PM
I tend to solo a lot, and here is my advice for some classes to solo with at lower and mid levels. Your basic property of a soloable class is the ability to self-heal and self-buff (Energy Resists being the most important).

Battle Cleric - 1 Fighter (or Paladin) / X Cleric - With some points in STR and CON, this style of build is very strong all-around (Clerics can wear Heavy Armor as well). Buffs and resists for every situation. My favorite solo build. Access to martial weapons puts this build over the top in terms of melee compared to the pure Cleric.

Pure Cleric - Again with some points in STR and CON this build can melee quite well and will have more mana than the Battle Cleric and get spells earlier. Solid.

Warforged Wiz/Fighter - Although not a common sight, I play one and found it to be extremely competent at solo endeavors. Self healing and eventual access to Haste/Displacement makes it a roving cuisinart. Early levels you can rely on Sheild and Blur to make you a solid Two Handed fighter. Don't underestimate the immunity to Holds.

Pure Paladin - Many people recommend this, but I would put a Battle Cleric or Pure Cleric above it. Lay On Hands is probably the biggest differentiator and will get you out of a tough situation faster than a Cleric can with multiple Cures (until the Cleric gains Heal at level 11).

Ranger - As with the Paladin, limited self-healing with wands and some nice buffs (Resist, Barkskin). Although Ranged combat tends to fall behind in full groups, the solo Ranger can kite his way to fame and fortune. It will just take you a little longer.

Bard - If built to melee (i.e. a STR based Bard) they can solo reasonably well. Lack of Energy Resistance is a bit of a problem however.

Pure Barb/Fighters - Very expensive to solo with. I wouldn't recommend it.

At later levels Sorcerers and Wizards can do quite well, but you likely will have to play the game for quite a while until you are able to successfully solo quests with a Caster.

tihocan
08-02-2007, 06:14 PM
Paladin and cleric with decent fighting abilities are good to solo.
Drow are unlocked when you reach 400 favor on one character (check your adventure compendium for your favor total).

sigtrent
08-02-2007, 06:40 PM
Welcome!

My favorite solo character so far is a STR and CHA heavy bard. The cleric is a little stronger but the bard can do some amazing things with fascinate that clerics can not and they can self haste... yum! Energy resists are the big failing here.

isldur
08-02-2007, 06:40 PM
I tend to solo a lot, and here is my advice for some classes to solo with at lower and mid levels. Your basic property of a soloable class is the ability to self-heal and self-buff (Energy Resists being the most important).

Battle Cleric - 1 Fighter (or Paladin) / X Cleric - With some points in STR and CON, this style of build is very strong all-around (Clerics can wear Heavy Armor as well). Buffs and resists for every situation. My favorite solo build. Access to martial weapons puts this build over the top in terms of melee compared to the pure Cleric.

Pure Cleric - Again with some points in STR and CON this build can melee quite well and will have more mana than the Battle Cleric and get spells earlier. Solid.

Warforged Wiz/Fighter - Although not a common sight, I play one and found it to be extremely competent at solo endeavors. Self healing and eventual access to Haste/Displacement makes it a roving cuisinart. Early levels you can rely on Sheild and Blur to make you a solid Two Handed fighter.

Pure Paladin - Many people recommend this, but I would put a Battle Cleric or Pure Cleric above it. Lay On Hands is probably the biggest differentiator and will get you out of a tough situation faster than a Cleric can with multiple Cures (until the Cleric gains Heal at level 11).

Ranger - As with the Paladin, limited self-healing with wands and some nice buffs (Resist, Barkskin). Although Ranged combat tends to fall behind in full groups, the solo Ranger can kite his way to fame and fortune. It will just take you a little longer.

Bard - If built to melee (i.e. a STR based Bard) they can solo reasonably well. Lack of Energy Resistance is a bit of a problem however.

Pure Barb/Fighters - Very expensive to solo with. I wouldn't recommend it.

At later levels Sorcerers and Wizards can do quite well, but you likely will have to play the game for quite a while until you are able to successfully solo quests with a Caster.

Nice post. Very good summary. Good luck. Remember clink after you drink that way you won't spill, or at least not as much.