PDA

View Full Version : What does "Potency" do?

tc12
08-02-2007, 01:22 PM
OK, so I understand what devotion does on an item, increasing the amount of HP healed on a cure or heal spell by the listed %. And spell penetration adds to the DC to save against the effect. But what does Potency do? Does it just add a % of additional damage of offensive spells, or is there more to it than that?

tihocan
08-02-2007, 01:25 PM
Same as devotion, but for all spells (including healing spells).

Laith
08-02-2007, 01:50 PM
spell penetration adds to the DC to save against the effect.while right in spirit, spell resistance is different than a save.

all creatures have saves (will/fort/reflex). those saves are rolled against the DC of a spell when it is cast on you. Focus feats and items affect your odds to overcome a creatures saves:
DC:10+spell's level+casters modifier[int,wis, or cha]+focus feats/items

not all creatures have spell resistance, only special high level creatures do. spell resistance acts as an additional "save" against non-damaging magical effects. spell penetration feats, enhancements, and items affect your odds of overcoming a creatures spell resistance, but not it's saves (will/fort/reflex).
your spell penetration roll is: your relevent class level+feats/enhancements/items.

Freeman
08-02-2007, 02:00 PM
...only special high level creatures do.

Just to add, I believe they added some low-level creatures with spell resistance in the last update, in the new adventure area.(Name escapes me now) So those low-level spell penetration items might have some use now.

Laith
08-02-2007, 02:21 PM
Just to add, I believe they added some low-level creatures with spell resistance in the last update, in the new adventure area.(Name escapes me now) So those low-level spell penetration items might have some use now.
only the drow i believe. in any case, you're right of course.

Searing Heights & the proof is in the poison.

tc12
08-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Same as devotion, but for all spells (including healing spells).

OK, so my rogue looted a Superior Potency V item. I have no casters, but do have a cleric. (Not high enough to use it yet but...)

So if my cleric uses this, it's affects healing as a Superior Devotion V item would? Does this stack with Devotion items or just the highest applies? (Guessing the latter.)

And in addition to the Devotion effect, it adds damage to Inflict spells, Flamestrikes and Holy Smite, for example?

Yndrofian
08-02-2007, 04:02 PM
not sure if it stacks (though i highly doubt it)
but i know this: potency increases the damage (whether 'good' or 'bad' damage) to all spells, e.g, searing/nimubs ('bad' damage) and cure light/mod ('good' damage)
havent tested it on Heal though. as my cleric is only lvl 6

PurdueDave
08-02-2007, 04:44 PM
OK, so my rogue looted a Superior Potency V item. I have no casters, but do have a cleric. (Not high enough to use it yet but...)

So if my cleric uses this, it's affects healing as a Superior Devotion V item would? Does this stack with Devotion items or just the highest applies? (Guessing the latter.)

And in addition to the Devotion effect, it adds damage to Inflict spells, Flamestrikes and Holy Smite, for example?

That's correct.

Symar-FangofLloth
08-02-2007, 06:00 PM
I /think/ the clicky items/potions stack with the others, but as to potency stacking with combustion, I have no idea.

transtemporal
08-02-2007, 06:01 PM
No no, you guys have got it all wrong. Potency items add to your bedroom stamina and are basically pretty useless in game. They're probably worth 10 plat each... for my sorcerer to take them off your hands and get rid of them... ;)

Actually, I had a related question as well... does a potency item stack with a combustion item and do both of them stack with an inferno item (for example)? Or does only the highest item count?

tihocan
08-02-2007, 06:18 PM

It affects healing like sup devotion V, and does not stack with it. It also adds damage to inflict, flamestrike, holy smite etc. It does not stack either with any spell boost clicky (like efficacy/brilliance/benevolence/...).