PDA

View Full Version : Elven Shadowblade (dpser displacement fighter)

maddong
08-02-2007, 10:55 AM
This build is basically to make your healing burden closer to that of a battle bard (perm displacement) in end game as a full out dpser. I'm infatuated with hp but you could trade out some of the toughness for combat expertise or improved trip or luck of the heroes if that is your thing. You could take a level of caster to add extend (since it will affect your displacement times without any mana cost).

elf fighter 14

S18 (increase with levels)
D16 (+1 tome for greater twf if you are a twf build)
C12
I12 (jump, balance, umd)
W8
C8

-----
Two Handed Version:
1 two handed fighting
2 weapon focus slashing
4 weapon spec slashing
6 improved two handed fighting
8 improved critical slashing
10 power attack
12 greater two handed fighting
14 greater weapon spec slashing

1 toughness
3 least mark of shadow
6 lesser mark of shadow
9 toughness or power critical if you are worried about confirming crits
12 toughness

1. take the 4 extra dragon marked enhancement for 6 displacements a day
2. fighter toughness for 50 extra hp (plus feats)
3. whatever other enhancements per personal preference

-----
Two Weapon Version:
1 two weapon fighting
2 weapon focus piercing
4 weapon spec piercing
6 improved two weapon fighting
8 improved critical piercing
10 power attack
12 greater two weapon fighting
14 greater weapon spec piercing

1 stunning blow (now that I know about the BS of offhand weighted weapons combined with dual stun)
3 least mark of shadow
6 lesser mark of shadow
9 quick draw
12 toughness

1. take the 4 extra dragon marked enhancement for 6 displacements a day
2. take the rapier hit/dam enhancements (people have said mathematically you break even with khopesh, and you can still use the piercing/wounding piercing/wounding combo)
3. fighter toughness for 50 extra hp (plus feats)
4. whatever other enhancements per personal preference

-----

If you did add a level of caster in to double your displacement time (because extend spell works on dragonmarks) then options would be: bard (at level 1) for higher UMD/balance (although you don't have the skill points to keep them maxed) and cure wands, cleric for cure wands and a few dvs, or wizard for the free feat (probably take at level 14).

Roguewiz
08-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Two Toughness feat will only grant you

1st time you take it
+3 HP for the 1st time you take it
+13 HP (1 per level)
Total: 16hp

2nd time you take it. You don't gain the +3 hp again. Instead, it treats it as +1 per level. So, you will gain 14hp total.

30hp total with 2 toughness feats.

Aspenor
08-02-2007, 12:55 PM
How are you going to cast displacement?

Gadget2775
08-02-2007, 01:03 PM
How are you going to cast displacement?

Displacement is the spell like ability gained with the Lesser Dragon Mark of the Shadow.

Aspenor
08-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Displacement is the spell like ability gained with the Lesser Dragon Mark of the Shadow.

How long does it last?

Blazer
08-02-2007, 01:22 PM
How long does it last?

Same as for a caster of the same level. For example, I tested the Exp. Retreat dragonmark with a lvl 13 human character and it lasted for 13 minutes. So what's displacement? 30 sec + 6 sec/caster level? Should be exactly however long a non-extended displacement lasts from an arcane.

Aspenor
08-02-2007, 01:32 PM
Same as for a caster of the same level. For example, I tested the Exp. Retreat dragonmark with a lvl 13 human character and it lasted for 13 minutes. So what's displacement? 30 sec + 6 sec/caster level? Should be exactly however long a non-extended displacement lasts from an arcane.

So only 1 minute and 24 seconds or so....that's not much.

Gadget2775
08-02-2007, 03:17 PM
So only 1 minute and 24 seconds or so....that's not much.

Devs put out that all Metamagic feats will apply to the Dragon Marked abilities. Thusly with a splash of spell caster (and the expenditure of another feat) you can grab extend and bump it over 3 min. (Dragon Marked abilities are based purely off your character level). So for a level 14....(30 + 6*14) * 2 = 3.8 min of displacement. Even if you dont take extend its still 30 + 6*14 = 1.9 min. More than enough to get you through a tough spot.

And my personal thanks to the OP. I currently have a Cleric/Fighter/Pally 7/2/3 (Prolly put the last two into Cleric) that I might have to tweak a bit to obtain those two marks for. Especially since I've already taken the Extend Feat.

D'rin
08-02-2007, 05:29 PM
Mine is for an elven initidate tank with CE, power attack, cleave and great cleave. That way he can intimidate, cleave, great cleave, intimidate rinse repeat. Since I was going to go 2-4 pally levels I should be able to get extend for longer displacement. I like the two handed fighting idea also though since you are not going to get hit much anyway.

Blazer
08-02-2007, 05:37 PM
Mine is for an elven initidate tank with CE, power attack, cleave and great cleave. That way he can intimidate, cleave, great cleave, intimidate rinse repeat. Since I was going to go 2-4 pally levels I should be able to get extend for longer displacement. I like the two handed fighting idea also though since you are not going to get hit much anyway.

Since the pre-req for Extend is the ability to cast spells, I think you'll need to get to Paladin level 4, right?

D'rin
08-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Yeah I would think it would be lvl 4 pally. It makes the stats a little more stretched but not to bad with tomes and such. Also is divine favor a +2 at 4th lvl of pally? I am not able to check on that at the moment.

It would just be nice to see a solid tank that is not a dwarf:D I figure that AC self buffed with items I currently have would be around 53-54. With full pally, ranger barkskin, and recitation it would be 60. And with action boost about 64 if I took the entire action boost line. 66 if blocking. This is without any kind of raid loot. Get the chattering ring and you would have almost 70 ac for 20 secs. Not to mention this is only if they get past the displacement.

Also since he would have cleave and great cleave his dps would not be that bad. Won't lead in kill count but the sorc and robe wearing barb are not going to be getting hit much since all the aggro will be on him.

Blazer
08-02-2007, 07:44 PM
Also is divine favor a +2 at 4th lvl of pally?

DF is +1 through level 5. At level 6 it goes up to +2, then +3 at level 9. Just keep in mind, as I'm sure you know, that casting DF will break your CE.

It would just be nice to see a solid tank that is not a dwarf :D

Or human. Agreed. :)

D'rin
08-03-2007, 11:23 AM
No real reason to go to lvl 4 pally then. 3 is nice for the immunities. But not really necessary. Actually may ditch the pally part all together since it means having to have cha as a stat.
One possibility would be 2 levels of barbarian for uncanny dodge(since this stacks with the action boost and CE). Also you would get a very short boost for raging when you want to and extra movement.

Of cousre you couldn't take extend at that point.

Blazer
08-03-2007, 11:47 AM
As a completely (insane?) thought, since you'll have the INT for CE, and you're interested in Extend, what do you think about taking 1 level of wizard? Ok, you'll lose a BAB, but that's not the end of the world necessarily. You'll get a free metamagic feat (for Extend) and you'll end up with a modest SP pool that you can utilize for 2 min long Shields or Nightshields.

D'rin
08-03-2007, 12:04 PM
a lvl of wiz does help nicely. You would also get a +3 to your will save also wouldn't you? Which really would be just about as good as taking the lvls of pally since I would really be taking the pally lvls to up my AC and saves but most for the will save increase. You could have some nice functionality that way also.

I could also take a lvl of cleric which while I would not get the feat I would get healing wand usage and still have the nightshield for magic missile/force missile protection. But I would loose the feat and shield for when i want to 2 handed fight and not suffer complete loss of AC.

By going pally 4 I could also continue on to Pally 7 when the cap goes up. This would allow for even better ac and resistances and now loss of bab.

Blazer
08-03-2007, 12:54 PM
a lvl of wiz does help nicely. You would also get a +3 to your will save also wouldn't you? Which really would be just about as good as taking the lvls of pally since I would really be taking the pally lvls to up my AC and saves but most for the will save increase. You could have some nice functionality that way also.

Only a +2 to will saves actually. The 2nd level of wizard would get you a +3.

I could also take a lvl of cleric which while I would not get the feat I would get healing wand usage and still have the nightshield for magic missile/force missile protection. But I would loose the feat and shield for when i want to 2 handed fight and not suffer complete loss of AC.

By going pally 4 I could also continue on to Pally 7 when the cap goes up. This would allow for even better ac and resistances and now loss of bab.

Yeah, going cleric opens up lots of wands and would give you a bump to both Fort and Will saves (+2 each). Remember, though, you'll need an 11 WIS to cast Nightshield (I'm not sure what your initial stat distribution will be). Even if you started with an 8, you can get there with a +4 item easily enough. You would lose Extend, however, which I sorta thought was a point. I suggested Wizard since you'll have the INT for CE anyway. Seemed synergistic in my warped little brain. :D

The loss of BAB is only a big deal if they implement some sort of increased attack chain for +15 and +20 BAB. If they don't, the loss of 1 or 2 BAB really won't matter in the end, given how silly-high our stats/equipment/buffs will put us.

D'rin
08-03-2007, 01:17 PM
I agree the wiz idea makes more sense and from a (gasp) role playing stand point makes alot more sense. You gain a little boost in will save, extra feat and 1st lvl spells.
My only concern is what you voiced. Which is what are they going to do as the lvl cap increases with the BAB?
Also does anyone know when mete magic feats are going to help with dragonmarks?

Blazer
08-03-2007, 01:27 PM
I agree the wiz idea makes more sense and from a (gasp) role playing stand point makes alot more sense. You gain a little boost in will save, extra feat and 1st lvl spells.
My only concern is what you voiced. Which is what are they going to do as the lvl cap increases with the BAB?
Also does anyone know when mete magic feats are going to help with dragonmarks?

Yeah, I have no idea what they're doing with attacks and BAB when the fighter-types hit level 15. Looking at your sig, you've got lots of high level characters, so I take it you play a lot. I'm guessing you could simply wait it out until they announce what they're doing, then roll this guy up.

I believe metamagic feats will affect dragonmarks come Mod 5.

D'rin
08-03-2007, 02:42 PM
I may just role him with 2 lvls of pally and add the wiz later if i want to. That way if it looks like sacrificing the bab will be to much I can always go wtih more pally lvls and pick up extend. The stats I am looking at would be

str 17 +3 lvls +3 enhance +2 favor tome +5 item = 30
dex 14 +1 tome +2 enhancmenet +5 item= 22
con 12 +1 tome +5 item = 18
int 12 +1 tome= 13
wis 9 +1 tome +2-4 item= 12-14
cha 12 +1 tome + 1 pally +4 item= 18

This is with items I currently have. I could drop the str since we will be getting a bump in a couple of months from lvl ups but by then i hope to have a +6 str item. I seem to get every other stat just not str.

I would go first lvl fight with then 2 lvls of pally all the rest fighter for now.
feats would be
1st lvl fighter power attack and cleave
2nd pally
3rd pally least dragon mark
4th lvl fighter great cleave
5th lvl fighter
6th lvl fighter lesser dragon mark CE
7th lvl fighter
8th lvl fighter improved critical slashing
9th lvl fighter toughness
10th lvl fighter wf slashing
11th lvl fighter
12th lvl fighter ws slashing grwf slashing
13th lvl
14th lvl grws slashing

maddong
08-07-2007, 07:40 AM
The reason I didn't put pally in it is because you need 4 pally levels for extend, which will cost you greater weapon spec (until a cap increase). And with all the high level monsters with unholy weapons I figured there are also unrighteous weapons out there negating paladin splash ac bonuses without our knowing.

I mentioned the wiz feat in the original post. Personally I'd be more tempted to do a bard 1 for max UMD and cure wands since you aren't really short on feats in this build (due to fighter 13). Wizard may make more sense from an RP standpoint but I think both would work.

You can take extend at any point after taking a level of cleric or bard or wiz (which you would use your bonus feat on as a wiz).

Metamagics already affect dragonmarks. Currently playing a halfling cleric with maximize on my healing dragonmarks.

D'rin
08-07-2007, 09:15 AM
I had not even thought of taking a lvl of bard. Since the splash lvl is really for extend the added umd would be really nice. If I was going to go a 4 lvls of pally I would probablly not do it until the lvl cap increased. The more I think about it the more I like the lvl of bard idea. Granted some people are going to look at it and think *** is this guy thinking.

Zyklon
08-07-2007, 10:57 AM
I mentioned the wiz feat in the original post. Personally I'd be more tempted to do a bard 1 for max UMD and cure wands since you aren't really short on feats in this build (due to fighter 13).

I like the wizard level better. Grab Extend plus first level spells. While it wouldn't last long, extended Nightshield and Shield would be ideal for this build. If you really wanted cure wands ranger or palidan is a better choice to keep your BAB at the highest... even a 12fighter/1wizard/1palidan isn't bad considering you could use lesser restore wands, remove curse wands, high level resist wands, high level blur wands, etc... Plus cure wands.

-
edit: looks like Blazer had the same idea.

-

maddong
08-07-2007, 01:05 PM
Bard isn't really for cure wands. It is for max UMD. The cure wands are secondary. If you are taking wiz for a 1 or 2 min shield/nightshield you can always UMD scrolls. But yeah I started this char and will probably splash for extend. Just haven't decided on bard vs wiz personally. It is nice having the benefits of neutral neutral but with the option for all the pure good pure law stuff.

wiglin
08-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Displacement is nice, but it doesn't save your tail enough for me to build around using feats to get it.

I spam displacement, and stoneskin, on my greataxe wielding 50+ a hit battle bard, and I get the snot beat of me enough to the point that I am very unhappy with the reliability of displacement.

Displacement should be re-worded to say:
Mob has to roll a 50+ on a d100 roll to bypass displacement...more than likely they will be using fixed dice and roll 50+ each hit..lol

maddong
08-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Well as a dpser you don't want to tank more than one thing at a time. I find that with 250hp and heavy fort my battle bard can kill things fast enough with greater bane two handers.

This build could go for AC too with the high dex and being a fighter (mithril full plate and armor mastery). I think regardless displacement adds a lot since it lets someone that wouldn't have been able to tank before go toe to toe, so when you add it on a potential tank it is gravy (if you chose to go sword and board in non GH). Especially when a fighter isn't hurting for 2 feats. You get so many, who cares? You might as well be the one person who isn't rolling up a dwarf. Especially if you can outefficiency the other DPSers when it comes to sponging heal spells.

I actually took a level of barbarian at level 1 just because I like being fast (and took the sprint boost and DR boost). I'm probably going to do 1 wizard level on my personal char. So it will end up 1 barb/12 fighter/1 wizard.

My feats will be:
1 two weapon fighting
2 weapon focus piercing
4 weapon spec piercing
10 greater two weapon fighting (11th char level)
12 greater weapon spec piercing

1 stunning blow
3 least mark of shadow
6 lesser mark of shadow
9 power attack
12 toughness

1 extend spell

maddong
08-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Well after reading about the BS double stun/trip that two weapon fighters get and the offhand weighted applying the stun % and stun bonus to your primary hand as well I have to add in the feat. Disgusting.

moorewr
08-23-2007, 01:52 PM
I'm thinking pretty seriously of making this my next character.. my question, though: what level would you take your one level of wizard or bard at?

I'm leaning wizard, for the feat.. 6th level to go with the lesser mark?
If you went bard, when would you take what enhancements?

No shadow walk for you!

If you did add a level of caster in to double your displacement time (because extend spell works on dragonmarks) then options would be: bard for higher UMD/balance (although you don't have the skill points to keep them maxed) and cure wands, cleric for cure wands and a few dvs, or wizard for the free feat.

rimble
08-29-2007, 12:56 PM
How are things working out with the Mark of Shadow Fighter? I'm thinking of making an Elven Intimitank using it. Got enough uses? Does it last long enough? Do you group with others enough that have Displacement that lessens the value of you being able to do it by yourself?

maddong
09-05-2007, 12:45 PM
I'm level 12 currently with enough xp for level 13 (getting close to 14, I've cut down on playing him because of the other BS character I made though). It works out great. If you were to take a level of bard I'd take it at level 1 for the skill points. I think I'm going to pass on the wizard level though. I usually don't need the displacements for the whole quest and mostly use it on boss fights or emergencies (or most of the fights in POTP). I currently have 5 and will end up with 6.

For moorewr, are you making a THF or a TWF?

For my feats I ended up going:
1 stunning blow
3 least mark of shadow
6 lesser mark of shadow
9 toughness
12 quickdraw

1 two weapon fighting
2 weapon focus piercing
4 weapon spec piercing
12 greater weapon spec piercing (next level for me)

I have to say dual wield stunning blow is total BS. With an offhand weighted +10 you can strategically kill a lot of creatures. I'm usually switching between wounding/puncturing, wounding/puncturing with offhand vertigo, dual holy burst, or dual transmuting.

If you are going to do a TWF bard I'd probably ditch quick draw to pick up extend. If you are going to do a level of wizard I'd take it at level 14.

For an intimitank though I'd probably be more likely to take the wiz level for extend since that is your main deal.

maddong
09-05-2007, 12:49 PM
And again, the reason why my personal char is one feat short is because I took the level of barbarian at 1. I love speed (sprint boost and the innate 10%).

moorewr
09-05-2007, 01:03 PM
EDIT: where did my toughness go? fixing feats again.

I haven't started him yet. It will be a while till I do; I'm slow to level up my characters... I have not decided which feats/enhancements to use. None of my characters are even close to tanks (even my barbarian is a TWF lightweight), so maybe I'll go the intimitank route.

OK - sword and board a lot of the time, power attack, toughness, wizard+extend somewhere along the way. Would you still wait until 14? I might take it somewhere in the middle, so I have extend when I hit the Giant Hold...

That one level of wizard is a pity at high levels - you'll get almost nothing out of it except extend. That might be an argument to take it early so you get to use your measly spells for a while. That's an argument for bard at level 1. Sold - you even get one no-save fascinate to pull out at odd moments later.

Let's see:
1 (Bard) extend
3 least mark of shadow
6 lesser mark of shadow
9 Toughness
12 Power Attack

Fighter
2 two handed fighting
3 weapon focus slashing
5 weapon spec slashing
7 improved two handed fighting
9 Power Critical
11 improved critical slashing
13 greater two handed fighting

Now all I need is 100 hours of playtime and that tower shield from the reaver raid loot. :)

I'm level 12 currently with enough xp for level 13 (getting close to 14, I've cut down on playing him because of the other BS character I made though). It works out great. If you were to take a level of bard I'd take it at level 1 for the skill points. I think I'm going to pass on the wizard level though. I usually don't need the displacements for the whole quest and mostly use it on boss fights or emergencies (or most of the fights in POTP). I currently have 5 and will end up with 6.

For moorewr, are you making a THF or a TWF?

For my feats I ended up going:
1 stunning blow
3 least mark of shadow
6 lesser mark of shadow
9 toughness
12 quickdraw

1 two weapon fighting
2 weapon focus piercing
4 weapon spec piercing
12 greater weapon spec piercing (next level for me)

I have to say dual wield stunning blow is total BS. With an offhand weighted +10 you can strategically kill a lot of creatures. I'm usually switching between wounding/puncturing, wounding/puncturing with offhand vertigo, dual holy burst, or dual transmuting.

If you are going to do a TWF bard I'd probably ditch quick draw to pick up extend. If you are going to do a level of wizard I'd take it at level 14.

For an intimitank though I'd probably be more likely to take the wiz level for extend since that is your main deal.

moorewr
09-05-2007, 02:04 PM
Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 2.70
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

shadowblade2 bardbugaloo
Level 14 Chaotic Good Elf Male
(13 Fighter \ 1 Bard)
Hit Points: 230
Spell Points: 50
BAB: 13\13\18\23
Fortitude: 10
Reflex: 7
Will: 5

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Stats Modified Stats
Abilities (Level 1) (Level 14)
Strength 16 20
Dexterity 12 12
Constitution 14 14
Intelligence 12 12
Wisdom 8 8
Charisma 10 10

Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 14)
Balance 5 5
Bluff 0 0
Concentration 2 2
Diplomacy 0 0
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle 0 0
Heal -1 -1
Hide 5 5
Intimidate 1 15
Jump 5 7
Listen -1 1
Move Silently 5 5
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform 3 3
Repair 1 1
Search 2 4
Spot 0 2
Swim 3 5
Tumble 2 2
Use Magic Device 4 17

Level 1 (Bard)
Feat: (Selected) Least Dragonmark of Shadow

Level 2 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Stunning Blow
Enhancement: Fighter Haste Boost I
Enhancement: Elf Melee Damage I
Enhancement: Fighter Critical Accuracy I
Enhancement: Fighter Item Defense I
Enhancement: Fighter Intimidate I

Level 3 (Fighter)
Feat: (Selected) Toughness
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons
Enhancement: Extra Dragonmark I
Enhancement: Fighter Armored Agility I
Enhancement: Fighter Strategy (Trip) I

Level 4 (Fighter)
Enhancement: Fighter Armor Class Boost I
Enhancement: Fighter Armor Mastery I
Enhancement: Fighter Tower Shield Mastery I
Enhancement: Fighter Flanking Mastery I

Level 5 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Weapon Specialization: Slashing Weapons
Enhancement: Elven Enchantment Resistance I
Enhancement: Elf Melee Attack I

Level 6 (Fighter)
Feat: (Selected) Lesser Dragonmark of Shadow
Enhancement: Fighter Haste Boost II
Enhancement: Extra Dragonmark II

Level 7 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Two-Handed Fighting
Enhancement: Fighter Armor Class Boost II

Level 8 (Fighter)
Enhancement: Fighter Armor Class Boost III

Level 9 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Two-Handed Fighting
Feat: (Selected) Extend
Enhancement: Fighter Strength I
Enhancement: Fighter Toughness I
Enhancement: Fighter Toughness II
Enhancement: Fighter Toughness III

Level 10 (Fighter)
Enhancement: Extra Dragonmark III

Level 11 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons
Enhancement: Fighter Critical Accuracy II
Enhancement: Fighter Item Defense II

Level 12 (Fighter)
Feat: (Selected) Power Attack
Enhancement: Fighter Haste Boost III

Level 13 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Greater Two Handed Fighting

Level 14 (Fighter)
Enhancement: Extra Dragonmark IV
Enhancement: Fighter Armor Mastery II
Enhancement: Fighter Armored Agility II

maddong
09-06-2007, 06:50 AM
Looks good!

Although I'd maybe ditch power crit for greater weapon spec since you probably aren't going to have trouble hitting:
1 (Bard) extend
3 least mark of shadow
6 lesser mark of shadow
9 Toughness

Fighter
2 two handed fighting
3 weapon focus slashing
5 weapon spec slashing
9 power attack (could switch the level with this and improved crit)
13 greater weapon spec slashing

Yeah, you may like the extend earlier as a THF or combo with sword and board. The fact that my stunning blows cut down significantly on the damage I take is probably why I'm going to end up without the wizard level.

moorewr
09-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the advice. Can't wait to start on him. Hmm. Whom to delete to make room? :)

Stunning blow == Fun! I took stunning blow on my contrarian barbarian - it works nicely with rage and TWF. I'll have to play some and see if I can wedge Stunning blow into the build somewhere. Displace, intimdate, stun, beat-down, repeat as desired.

Maybe drop GTHF for stunning blow.... Pity to get the fun so late. If I feel tanky enough I could take Stunning Blow at 9 and wait until 12 for toughness. Or wait on extend, except extend is pretty key to the character's usefulness.

Looks good!

Although I'd maybe ditch power crit for greater weapon spec since you probably aren't going to have trouble hitting:
1 (Bard) extend
3 least mark of shadow
6 lesser mark of shadow
9 Toughness

Fighter
2 two handed fighting
3 weapon focus slashing
5 weapon spec slashing
9 power attack (could switch the level with this and improved crit)
13 greater weapon spec slashing

Yeah, you may like the extend earlier as a THF or combo with sword and board. The fact that my stunning blows cut down significantly on the damage I take is probably why I'm going to end up without the wizard level.

XFracture
09-06-2007, 07:44 PM
An extended displacement is 2:50 for a capped toon. Which if you chain cast it would net you 17 minutes of displacement (assuming 6 uses per day). Which is nice if you're doing quick runs or missions with reasonably spaced shrines. With very few exceptions I don't see why this wouldn't work well.

EinarMal
09-07-2007, 09:14 AM
I wanted to get extend and I like the Barbarian splash for run speed and and DR boost. I wanted to make the wizard splash more appealing so came up with this.

Elf Neutral Good Fighter 8/ Barbarian 1/ Wizard 5

Stats:
Str 17 (32 =17 +3 Levels +2 Tome +2 Enh. +6 Item +2 Rage Spell)
Dex 16 (22 =16 +1 Tome +5 Item
Con 12 (22 =12 +2 Favor Tome +6 Item +2 Rage Spell)
Int 11 (18 =11 +1 Tome + 6 Item)
Wis 8 (12 =8 +4 Spell)
Cha 8

Progression:
1-Fighter
2-Barbarian
3-Fighter
4-Wizard
5 thru 9-Fighter
10 thru 13-Wizard
14-Fighter

Skills:
Jump
Balance

Feats:
1-(FB) TWF
1-Toughness
3-(FB) WF Piercing
3-Least Mark of Shadow
4-(WB) Extend
6-(FB)Weapon Spec Piercing
6-Lesser Mark of Shadow
8-(FB) ITWF
9-IC Piercing
12-Stunning Blow
13-(WB) Maximize
14-(FB) GTWF

Enhancements:
Fighter Strength II
Fighter Stunning Blow III
Fighter Trip III
Fighter Toughness III
Fighter Haste Boost II
Fighter Critical Accuracy II
Elf Extra Dragonmark III
Elf Melee Attack II
Elf Melee Damage II
Energy of Scholar II
Elf Arcanum II
Barbarian Damage Reduction Boost I
Barbarian Sprint Boost I

HP:
112(Levels) +20(Heroic) +10(Draconic) +30(GFL) +16(Tough) +30(Ftr. Tough III) +84(Con)=302

SP:
230(Levels) +50(EOS II) +30(Elf Arc. II) +100(Magi) +56(Int)=466 (+150 Dragonmark Displacement)

Spells:
1-Shield, Nightshield, Jump, Ray of Enfeeblement
2-Blur, Resist Energy, Owl's Wisdom (Invisibility Dragonmark x7 per rest)
3-Rage, Haste (Displacement Dragonmark x5 per rest)

To Hit:
BAB 11
Str 11
Weapon Focus 1
Weapon 5
Haste 1
Greater Hero 4
Racial Elf 2
TWF -4

Damage:
Strength 11
Weapon 5
Racial Elf 2
Weapon Spec 2
20/14

What do you think?

Pros:
-Better self buffs including extended haste/rage/20 pt jump yeah!
-With displacement marks quite a bit of spell points to play with
-Extended wizzie buffs like shield/blur/jump last 10 minutes

Cons:
-Lower BAB
-No grtr weapon focus/spec
-Less hit points

At level 20 it would probably end up Fighter 12/Wizard 7/Barbarian 1. This will allow for grtr. weapon spec., from wizard 7 I get 20 pt. resists and stoneskin for more defense.

moorewr
09-07-2007, 09:34 AM
I like the arcane rage to supplement your barbarian rages. Haste and blur on top of your displace.. better return on your extend.. Rage should make up for the lower BAB... cool. I dig it.

I could also see a shadowblade battle-cleric - 9 cleric/ 3 pal /2 fighter... extend plus melee feats...

I created my shadowblade, but he's just a lowly level 1 bard for now. Got greedy and took the least mark now; extend at level 3. Probably not the best choice... toughness at 1, marks at 3 and 6, and extend at 9 might make more sense...

So for the start-up run I bought a +1 CHA trinket off the AH so I can cast my one spell. Some bard I'll be. :) I look forward to pulling off my 1x/day fascinate someday in the GH.

I'll report back in a few weeks when I get around to getting him to level six. Might be longer than that since I'm leveling up my sorc and my barb/rogue. I need a time-turner so I can fit my hobby into my life.

I wanted to get extend and I like the Barbarian splash for run speed and and DR boost. I wanted to make the wizard splash more appealing so came up with this.

Elf Neutral Good Fighter 8/ Barbarian 1/ Wizard 5

moorewr
09-07-2007, 03:24 PM
Ah ha! Stunning Blow problem solved. Class feat at level 2.

I ended up not doing at all I planned to so I'll edit my post above...

I was suffering over-reliance on RJ's wonderful Character Generator. Stunning Blow and several other feats don't come up as class feats in his app. I'll go see if that's been reported already.

maddong
09-10-2007, 12:39 PM
What I did with my guy was use different feats until level 4. At level 4 I capped my xp so I was level 6 ready. Then I just used all those ridiculously cheap flawed dragon shards to respec him before leveling.

moorewr
09-10-2007, 12:43 PM
What I did with my guy was use different feats until level 4. At level 4 I capped my xp so I was level 6 ready. Then I just used all those ridiculously cheap flawed dragon shards to respec him before leveling.

Hmm - yeah, I got a ton of those.

moorewr
09-27-2007, 10:01 AM
Almost to 6th level! So far I'm a just a slightly off-optimal tank without toughness who can use clerical wands. Next level is the true test of the concept.

Boy, am I nerf-able though. All Turbine has to do is change whether metamagic works with dragonmarks...

I dig the character, and the bard level does help skills quite a bit. For the money I probably should have done 9 Fighter/ 5 Paladin for the paladin bonuses and saves, and gotten extend via the paladin levels.

moorewr
10-09-2007, 04:05 PM
Just made level 6. 4x 1 minute displacement with extend. Going to run some stuff and report back.

The Bard 'splash' has been marginally useful because I can use wands and I drop a 4 minute +1 on on everyone with inspire courage... here and there fascinate has been useful...

Hard to argue against 10 Fighter / 4 Paladin to get Extend - if I were starting over that would be what I'd build... although it would be hard to fit much charisma into the build.

moorewr
10-11-2007, 10:00 AM
My report: it's pretty cool. :)

Did Delera's on hard with a PUG - stayed alive through some near party wipes - definitely a cleric's friend with the mark active.

maddong
10-11-2007, 11:51 AM
I end up doing fine without extend as a pure fighter with 1 level of barb for run speed. I only use them for bigger fights. Maybe it is the wounding/puncturing puncturing combo though. :) I even didn't take extra dragonmark 4.

moorewr
10-11-2007, 01:27 PM
I end up doing fine without extend as a pure fighter with 1 level of barb for run speed. I only use them for bigger fights. Maybe it is the wounding/puncturing puncturing combo though. :) I even didn't take extra dragonmark 4.

I went for a pure tank with mine - tower shield, heavy plate and ranks of intimidate - the goal being to have enough displacement to be almost always on..

I need fearsome armor to go with all that. I might change out a feat for combat expertise - and start the quest for >50 AC in the endgame...

http://home.eckerd.edu/~moorewr/lj/image/ddo/Paracelsus.jpg

moorewr
12-12-2007, 09:09 AM
Another variant of the "Bard splash" version of this character crossed my mind while I was thinking about the new level cap... If you did 10 Fighter/6 Bard, you'd could take Warchanter.. and you'd end up at +14 BAB with some pretty cool abilities (a big buff and DR5/- for the party being one).

Cons - You'd lose two fighter bonus feats, 4 HP per bard level compared to fighter, 2 to your BAB compared to a straight fighter, and your ASF would be insane, so no combat casting.

Paracelsus is 8Fighter/1Bard at the moment,so I'm not set in stone yet for 15Fighter/1Bard (which is what I'd planned for him).

Does this look like a sound idea? Or am I over-engineering again? :)

winsom
01-22-2008, 04:09 PM
My elf is more of a ranger than a fighter, but I'm planning to take the Marks to get Displacement too.

I figure that she won't have enough HP to survive big beatings at higher level, even though Im taking Toughness and either 4 or 8 fighter levels in addition to Ranger. Displacement should help out a lot. I notice that casters will often Blur people in the group, but almost never cast Displacement. My wizard and Bard carry scrolls of Displacement for emergency use on people, but anyway...

My ranger/fighter also has Combat Expertise and Improved Trip. The refresh on Improved Trip is not too long -- it shortens when you take Improved Trip feat, and you get +4 extra DC for the monster to resist. I figure TWF with a +10 vertigo in the off-hand, and a STR-based ranger build should result in some useful trip attacks. I didn't want to make a dwarf, although those tactical enhancements were very tempting. Since I went Elf, I have this Mark of Shadow option. I might as well use it, yea? :)

I might take Stunning Blow too. My concept is a cooperative archer that switches to melee rather than annoyingly kiting monsters around. Try to stay alive long enough for a "real tank" to get aggro back, and use trip (and maybe stun) to help counter the aggro I will draw with powerful bow-shots. Might need to take Quickdraw feat to switch weapons fast enough.

moorewr
01-22-2008, 04:19 PM
My elf is more of a ranger than a fighter, but I'm planning to take the Marks to get Displacement too.

I figure that she won't have enough HP to survive big beatings at higher level, even though Im taking Toughness and either 4 or 8 fighter levels in addition to Ranger. Displacement should help out a lot. I notice that casters will often Blur people in the group, but almost never cast Displacement. My wizard and Bard carry scrolls of Displacement for emergency use on people, but anyway...

My ranger/fighter also has Combat Expertise and Improved Trip. The refresh on Improved Trip is not too long -- it shortens when you take Improved Trip feat, and you get +4 extra DC for the monster to resist. I figure TWF with a +10 vertigo in the off-hand, and a STR-based ranger build should result in some useful trip attacks. I didn't want to make a dwarf, although those tactical enhancements were very tempting. Since I went Elf, I have this Mark of Shadow option. I might as well use it, yea? :)

Yes, almost any class that can't already cast it benefits from the lesser mark's Displacement. Displacement is a self-buff because the duration is so short.. the only time I see a tank getting it cast on them by an arcane is the hero in the Reaver raid...

I plan to take CE as my next feat (at level 12), in time for all those elite end-game quests. I can buff to the low 40s AC-wise without, so AC is becoming less important vis a vis displacement and heavy fort. In your case I don't see the sense of CE with TWF. Can you hit a 50 AC in light armor with no shield, even with CE?

I say forget CE, get the lesser mark, carry a stoneskin wand, and use displacement to live through the aggro.

moorewr
01-27-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm still level 11 for a little while longer..

I've started running a few end-game quests on elite.. the Crucible at level 10, and most recently A Cry for Help. The Crucible Elite at level 10 is a lot like being the fox in a fox hunt. eek.

Displacement has helped a great deal to stretch my inadequate supply of HP. AC helps some, but I do get hit a great deal. I do well displaced, intimidating in shield-block in doorways though. I'm not matching the DPS of the 14s in those quests but my build is letting me stay in the fight as long as they do. I hope I can keep up with to-hit inflation in the new content.. I will be able to self-buff to 46 AC with CE and my current gear (not counting haste or prot. from evil etc etc).. so time to go looking for da ubah gear, and maybe take Dodge as a feat somewhere after level 12.

I wish I had levels of Paladin for the aura. I just need to stand next to one I suppose. :)

Current kit - principally +4 MFP, +4 mithril tower shield, those protection manacles (Iron Manacles?) from Deleras. I get 4 points from DEX currently.

Our group in the guild we are leveling up is simply stomping on Gianthold content on normal -- pretty much the end-bosses are the only time I'm getting attention from the cleric.

Zouze
03-22-2008, 12:24 PM
Why Dont You Just Make A Green Steel Clickie With Displacement... You Could Make A Couple And Then You Wouldnt Have To Waste stuff On Stupid Dragon Mark But Im Just A Noob So Dont Mind Me =D

Shyver
03-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Why Dont You Just Make A Green Steel Clickie With Displacement... You Could Make A Couple And Then You Wouldnt Have To Waste stuff On Stupid Dragon Mark But Im Just A Noob So Dont Mind Me =D

Look at it this way. On my Ranger 13/Fighter2/Wizard 1 I get 6 Displacements per rest that each last 3:12 each. So for 19 min and 12 seconds IN BETWEEN rest shrines I'm constantly Displaced. A lot of quests don't even take 19 min. So for 3 feats and 10 action points that's way better than grinding a greensteel item that gives you 2 1:30 charges. better off using those ingrediants for something else.

Blazer
03-22-2008, 02:26 PM

Also please consider when this thread was created and last updated - well before Mod 6 and Greensteel stuff was around.

And, the displacement dragonmarks increase in duration with the character level, so the dragonmarks will last longer once the character gets past level 16. The clicky is forever stuck as a lvl 16 displacement.

moorewr
03-22-2008, 04:09 PM

Three displacements at level six? Five three minute displacements between rests at level 12? How ya gonna make that green steel item that soon?

Besides, like I'm going to waste upgrades on a displacement clickie when I can up the DPS of the weapon, or get True Rez, or an Earth ellie...

Narwe
03-25-2008, 12:34 PM
I know this is the fighter forum, but since the topic is displacement.......

I went with 6 ranger ranks on my rogue to get extend for my displacements (5 over 3 min each). With 250HP, GTWF, greater fort and displacement, she is very durable compared with my old human 14 rogue/2ftr. It is also nice to be able to cast displacement on others when needed. Last week in reaver elite, I was cursing the reaver and elementals with my bow while occasionally dropping a displace on the tank or cleric. Rez'd and cast heal spell from scroll on returnees from dead room too.

The invisibility (7) you get with the first dragonmark comes in handy too. Great for running through the Vale. Can cast on whole party when necessary.

Archery fun with manyshot + bow strength + sneak attack, 23 str 34 dex (need +3 tome for 36 dex; soon have 24 str).

Pariss
Fernia, oops Ghallanda

Uproar
04-30-2008, 01:14 PM
A twist on the above builds. Move skills around if you want to achieve something else (like more intimidate).
I was thinking that Diplomacy and Haggle might be useful for this type of character so boosted those to a decent levels.
I always show tombs at level 15. Taking them earlier (adding a +2 to int) would make it even more versatile while leveling.

I think the big question for this type of character is the 14BAB. Don't really know how that will work out. But the toon will be raged (and displaced) a lot of the time. Not always though.

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 2.85

Build name: "Elven Militent Warchanter of Displacement"
Level 16 True Neutral Elf Male
(4 Fighter \ 6 Barbarian \ 6 Bard)
Hit Points: 232
Spell Points: 220
BAB: 14\14\19\24
Fortitude: 15
Reflex: 10
Will: 8

Abilities (Level 1) (Level 16)
Strength 14 22
Dexterity 11 14
Constitution 14 18
Intelligence 10 10
Wisdom 11 11
Charisma 14 16

Tomes Used
+3 Tome of Strength used at level 15
+2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 15
+2 Tome of Constitution used at level 15
+2 Tome of Charisma used at level 15

Feat/Enhancement
Modified Skills
Skills (Level 16)
Balance 11
Bluff 3
Concentration 10
Diplomacy 12
Disable Device n/a
Haggle 12
Heal 0
Hide 2
Intimidate 7
Jump 12
Listen 3
Move Silently 2
Open Lock n/a
Perform 13
Repair 0
Search 2
Spot 2
Swim 7
Tumble 4
Use Magic Device 21

Level 1 (Bard)
Feat: (Automatic) Attack
Feat: (Automatic) Elven Keen Senses
Feat: (Automatic) Enchantment Save Bonus
Feat: (Automatic) Fascinate
Feat: (Automatic) Heroic Durability
Feat: (Automatic) Immunity to Sleep
Feat: (Automatic) Inspire Courage
Feat: (Automatic) Light Armor Proficiency
Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Longbow
Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Longsword
Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Rapier
Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Shortsword
Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Shortbow
Feat: (Automatic) Shield Proficiency (General)
Feat: (Automatic) Simple Weapon Proficiency (ALL)
Feat: (Automatic) Sneak
Feat: (Automatic) Wild Empathy

Level 2 (Bard)
Feat: (Automatic) Defensive Fighting

Level 3 (Bard)
Feat: (Selected) Extend Spell
Feat: (Automatic) Inspire Competence

Level 4 (Bard)

Level 5 (Bard)
Feat: (Automatic) Damage Reduction
Feat: (Automatic) Uncanny Dodge

Level 6 (Bard)
Feat: (Selected) Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons
Feat: (Automatic) Suggestion
Enhancement: Bard Extra Song I
Enhancement: Bard Inspired Attack I
Enhancement: Bard Inspired Bravery I
Enhancement: Bard Inspired Bravery II
Enhancement: Bard Inspired Damage I
Enhancement: Bard Lingering Song I
Enhancement: Bard Lingering Song II
Enhancement: Elven Arcane Fluidity I
Enhancement: Elven Dexterity I
Enhancement: Bard Song Magic I
Enhancement: Bard Wand Mastery I
Enhancement: Bard Wand Mastery II
Enhancement: Bard Wand Heightening I

Level 7 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Power Attack
Feat: (Automatic) Heavy Armor Proficiency
Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency (ALL)
Feat: (Automatic) Medium Armor Proficiency
Feat: (Automatic) Sunder
Feat: (Automatic) Tower Shield Proficiency
Feat: (Automatic) Trip
Enhancement: Warchanter I

Level 8 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Two Handed Fighting
Feat: (Automatic) Improved Inspire Courage

Level 9 (Fighter)

Level 10 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons

Level 11 (Barbarian)
Feat: (Automatic) Fast Movement
Feat: (Automatic) Rage
Enhancement: Barbarian Sprint Boost I
Enhancement: Barbarian Willpower I

Level 12 (Barbarian)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Handed Fighting
Enhancement: Barbarian Extend Rage I
Enhancement: Barbarian Extra Rage I
Enhancement: Barbarian Constitution I

Level 13 (Barbarian)
Feat: (Automatic) Trap Sense
Enhancement: Barbarian Improved Damage Reduction I
Enhancement: Barbarian Hardy Rage I
Enhancement: Barbarian Power Rage I

Level 14 (Barbarian)

Level 15 (Barbarian)
Feat: (Selected) Greater Dragonmark of Shadow (could take GTWF instead)
Feat: (Automatic) Improved Uncanny Dodge
Enhancement: Barbarian Extend Rage II
Enhancement: Barbarian Willpower II

Level 16 (Barbarian)
Enhancement: Barbarian Damage Reduction Boost I
Enhancement: Barbarian Extra Rage II
Enhancement: Barbarian Hardy Rage II
Enhancement: Barbarian Power Rage II
Enhancement: Elven Enchantment Resistance II
Enhancement: Bard Spell Penetration I
Enhancement: Barbarian Constitution II

Uproar
04-30-2008, 02:38 PM
Alternate variety --
Loses: Shadow walk and Confirm Crits II.
Gains: GTHF, Bard Spells (One (1) Level 2 spell (heroism) and two (2) Level 3 spells (displacement and haste / cure serious heal).

Build name: "Greater Elven Militent Warchanter of Displacement"
Level 16 True Neutral Elf Male
(3 Fighter \ 6 Barbarian \ 7 Bard)
Hit Points: 228
Spell Points: 248
Fortitude: 14
Will: 8

Abilities (Level 1) (Level 16)
Strength 15 22
Dexterity 11 14
Constitution 14 18
Intelligence 10 10
Wisdom 10 10
Charisma 13 16

Tomes Used
+2 Tome of Strength used at level 15
+2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 15
+2 Tome of Constitution used at level 15
+3 Tome of Charisma used at level 15

Feat/Enhancement
Modified Skills
Skills (Level 16)
Balance 12
Bluff 3
Concentration 10
Diplomacy 13
Disable Device n/a
Haggle 13
Heal 0
Hide 2
Intimidate 7
Jump 12
Listen 3
Move Silently 2
Open Lock n/a
Perform 13
Repair 0
Search 2
Spot 2
Swim 7
Tumble 4
Use Magic Device 21

Level 1 (Bard)
Feat: (Automatic) Attack
Feat: (Automatic) Elven Keen Senses
Feat: (Automatic) Enchantment Save Bonus
Feat: (Automatic) Fascinate
Feat: (Automatic) Heroic Durability
Feat: (Automatic) Immunity to Sleep
Feat: (Automatic) Inspire Courage
Feat: (Automatic) Light Armor Proficiency
Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Longbow
Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Longsword
Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Rapier
Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Shortsword
Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Shortbow
Feat: (Automatic) Shield Proficiency (General)
Feat: (Automatic) Simple Weapon Proficiency (ALL)
Feat: (Automatic) Sneak
Feat: (Automatic) Wild Empathy
Spell (1): Focusing Chant

Level 2 (Bard)
Feat: (Automatic) Defensive Fighting
Spell (1): Hypnotism

Level 3 (Bard)
Feat: (Selected) Power Attack
Feat: (Automatic) Inspire Competence
Spell (1): Otto's Resistable Dance

Level 4 (Bard)
Spell (2): Blur
Spell (2): Cure Moderate Wounds

Level 5 (Bard)
Feat: (Automatic) Damage Reduction
Feat: (Automatic) Uncanny Dodge
Spell (2): Scare
Spell (1): Charm Person

Level 6 (Bard)
Feat: (Selected) Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons
Feat: (Automatic) Suggestion
Enhancement: Bard Extra Song I
Enhancement: Bard Inspired Attack I
Enhancement: Bard Inspired Bravery I
Enhancement: Bard Inspired Bravery II
Enhancement: Bard Inspired Damage I
Enhancement: Bard Lingering Song I
Enhancement: Bard Lingering Song II
Enhancement: Elven Arcane Fluidity I
Enhancement: Bard Song Magic I
Enhancement: Bard Wand Mastery I
Enhancement: Bard Wand Mastery II
Enhancement: Bard Wand Heightening I

Level 7 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Two Handed Fighting
Feat: (Automatic) Heavy Armor Proficiency
Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency (ALL)
Feat: (Automatic) Medium Armor Proficiency
Feat: (Automatic) Sunder
Feat: (Automatic) Tower Shield Proficiency
Feat: (Automatic) Trip
Enhancement: Warchanter I

Level 8 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Two Handed Fighting
Feat: (Automatic) Improved Inspire Courage

Level 9 (Fighter)

Level 10 (Bard)
Spell (3): Haste
Spell (2): Heroism
Spell (3): Displacement

Level 11 (Barbarian)
Feat: (Automatic) Fast Movement
Feat: (Automatic) Rage
Enhancement: Barbarian Sprint Boost I
Enhancement: Barbarian Willpower I

Level 12 (Barbarian)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons
Enhancement: Barbarian Extend Rage I
Enhancement: Barbarian Extra Rage I
Enhancement: Barbarian Constitution I

Level 13 (Barbarian)
Feat: (Automatic) Trap Sense
Enhancement: Barbarian Improved Damage Reduction I
Enhancement: Barbarian Hardy Rage I
Enhancement: Barbarian Power Rage I

Level 14 (Barbarian)

Level 15 (Barbarian)
Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Handed Fighting
Feat: (Automatic) Improved Uncanny Dodge
Enhancement: Barbarian Extend Rage II
Enhancement: Barbarian Willpower II

Level 16 (Barbarian)
Enhancement: Barbarian Damage Reduction Boost I
Enhancement: Barbarian Extra Rage II
Enhancement: Barbarian Hardy Rage II
Enhancement: Barbarian Power Rage II
Enhancement: Elven Enchantment Resistance II
Enhancement: Bard Spell Penetration I
Enhancement: Barbarian Constitution II

moorewr
04-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Neat builds!

One thing I did was avoid levels in a class that could give me displacement from mana.. I figured that was handled.

I was thinking of designing a batman/lone ranger version too.. since the marks mesh nicely with rogue levels..

if only I had time to level up more characters... :rolleyes:

Naso24
04-30-2008, 06:30 PM
I like the concept, but I am here to suggest an alternative. If you want to help out a bit more, rather than go elf, go halfling. Take the 3 dragonmark feats. Take 1 wizard, sorc, or bard level. Take maximize. You will be able to heal a ton of HPs. The dragonmarks cast quick. You lose 2 STR, but pick up +1 to hit (even), +1 AC, +1 to all saves.

You will lose the enhancements for rapier/short sword, but can make up for it by taking the Mod 7 halfling sneak attack enhancements.

I don't think one design is better than the other, but I think a halfling version would be more fun. In addition, you will have more HP due to higher CON (no -2).

moorewr
04-30-2008, 06:53 PM
I like the concept, but I am here to suggest an alternative. If you want to help out a bit more, rather than go elf, go halfling. Take the 3 dragonmark feats. Take 1 wizard, sorc, or bard level. Take maximize. You will be able to heal a ton of HPs. The dragonmarks cast quick. You lose 2 STR, but pick up +1 to hit (even), +1 AC, +1 to all saves.

You will lose the enhancements for rapier/short sword, but can make up for it by taking the Mod 7 halfling sneak attack enhancements.

I don't think one design is better than the other, but I think a halfling version would be more fun. In addition, you will have more HP due to higher CON (no -2).

I'll have to dig up my "Dragonmark Challenge" thread - the mark of healing was very popular...

captain1z
04-30-2008, 07:16 PM
lotta good ideas .... gives me ideas for when I unlock 32pts. I plan to re-roll my 1st character who Ive since deleted for poor performance.

This time maybe fighter 10/ pali 3/ wizard 3

I was thinking wiz 3 for scorching ray but at level 3 it wont do much.... just 4d6 but I could also have MM,shield + 1 other.
3 minutes of blurr would be great and I think you can cast it 9X's .....right?

moorewr
04-30-2008, 08:13 PM
lotta good ideas .... gives me ideas for when I unlock 32pts. I plan to re-roll my 1st character who Ive since deleted for poor performance.

This time maybe fighter 10/ pali 3/ wizard 3

I was thinking wiz 3 for scorching ray but at level 3 it wont do much.... just 4d6 but I could also have MM,shield + 1 other.
3 minutes of blurr would be great and I think you can cast it 9X's .....right?

With Extend, 3 minutes of Displacement, 7x if you take the useless Greater Mark, 6x otherwise.

I love my fighter x/bard 1, but I think something like 8 pal/6 fighter would be have amazing saves and be more defensive too boot.

Rogue/ranger/paladin for extend, evasion and auras? Now you're cookin'...

Twerpp
04-30-2008, 08:27 PM
I like it. How much displacement time do you get and how many charges?

I like it because no need for AC, just straight up 50/50 chance baby!

Twerpp
04-30-2008, 08:32 PM
Nm I see now...Nice you get it at the 2nd mark. But you can carry as many shroud weapons as you want and farming 3 tier 2's for displacement is a more efficient way than building around the concept...

Healing marks are still pretty nice though. Wish I had quicken on them though!

moorewr
04-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Nm I see now...Nice you get it at the 2nd mark. But you can carry as many shroud weapons as you want and farming 3 tier 2's for displacement is a more efficient way than building around the concept...

Healing marks are still pretty nice though. Wish I had quicken on them though!

3 uses of extended displacement at level 6 can't be beat, and the fact that you are getting three-minute charges at high levels lets you get something more aggressive in your green steel recipe. I think it's at least as good an argument for two feats as the argument for three feats for the mark of healing...

EDIT: Also, you can always work your way up and farm shroud ingredients.. and when you have those clickies all built you can swap your feats. If you took the Mark fo Healing, no matter what you did, you'd still be stuck being a Halfling at the end. :P

Ah, here we go with an oddball build - I should submit it to that gimp challenge thread:
Since we can largely ignore AC - displacer with enough (STR-based) ranger for Tempest (2 dragonmark feats plus tempest feats mobility, dodge, spring attack take until about level 12), enough wizard for stoneskin. That's 7 wizard/6 ranger. Fill out with rogue, ranger, or wizard levels as you see fit... 9 ranger/7 wizard so you have evasion (and haste and wall of fire)...

Deaths_ward
04-30-2008, 09:12 PM
Here was my take on the concept.

Displacer
Level 16 Lawful Good Elf Male
(14 Fighter \ 1 Rogue \ 1 Wizard)
Hit Points: 254
Spell Points: 140
Fortitude: 10
Will: 5

Starting Ending Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Base Stats Modified Stats
(32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 16) (Level 16)
Strength 18 22 24
Dexterity 16 17 18
Constitution 12 12 12
Intelligence 12 12 12
Wisdom 8 8 8
Charisma 8 8 8

Tomes Used
+1 Tome of Dexterity used at level 1

Starting Ending Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 16) (Level 16)
Balance 5 12 13
Bluff -1 -1 -1
Concentration 1 1 1
Diplomacy -1 -1 -1
Disable Device n/a n/a n/a
Haggle -1 -1 -1
Heal -1 -1 -1
Hide 3 4 4
Intimidate -1 -1 -1
Jump 8 16 16
Listen -1 -1 1
Move Silently 3 4 4
Open Lock n/a n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a n/a
Repair 1 1 1
Search 1 1 3
Spot -1 -1 4
Swim 8 16 16
Tumble n/a n/a n/a
Use Magic Device n/a 18 21

Level 1 (Fighter)
Skill: Balance (+2)
Skill: Jump (+4)
Skill: Swim (+4)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Two Weapon Fighting

Level 2 (Fighter)
Skill: Jump (+1)
Skill: Swim (+1)
Skill: Use Magic Device (+0.5)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Oversized Two Weapon Fighting

Level 3 (Wizard)
Skill: Balance (+1)
Skill: Use Magic Device (+0.5)
Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Extend Spell
Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 4 (Fighter)
Ability Raise: STR
Skill: Jump (+2)

Level 5 (Fighter)
Skill: Swim (+2)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Weapon Focus: Piercing Weapons

Level 6 (Rogue)
Skill: Balance (+1)
Skill: Use Magic Device (+8)

Level 7 (Fighter)
Skill: Use Magic Device (+1)

Level 8 (Fighter)
Skill: Balance (+0.5)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Weapon Specialization: Piercing Weapons

Level 9 (Fighter)
Feat: (Selected) Skill Focus: Use Magic Device

Level 10 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Two Weapon Fighting

Level 11 (Fighter)

Level 12 (Fighter)
Feat: (Selected) Greater Weapon Focus: Piercing Weapons
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Critical: Piercing Weapons

Level 13 (Fighter)

Level 14 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Greater Two Weapon Fighting

Level 15 (Fighter)
Feat: (Selected) Greater Weapon Specialization: Piercing Weapons

Level 16 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Power Critical
Enhancement: Fighter Haste Boost II
Enhancement: Fighter Haste Boost III
Enhancement: Elf Melee Attack I
Enhancement: Elf Melee Damage II
Enhancement: Elven Keen Eyes I
Enhancement: Elven Keen Eyes II
Enhancement: Extra Dragonmark III
Enhancement: Extra Dragonmark IV
Enhancement: Fighter Armor Mastery I
Enhancement: Fighter Armor Mastery II
Enhancement: Fighter Critical Accuracy III
Enhancement: Fighter Critical Accuracy IV
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training I
Enhancement: Rogue Balance I
Enhancement: Rogue Spot I
Enhancement: Fighter Strength II
Enhancement: Fighter Toughness I
Enhancement: Fighter Toughness II
Enhancement: Fighter Toughness III
Enhancement: Fighter Toughness IV

The level of wizard and level of rogue serve a few purposes. The obvious ones being Maxed UMD, and free extend. It also gives you the ability to cast shield on yourself for a 2 minute duration, and gives a wee bit of sneak attack damage.
The big downside to this is that you burn 2 points of base attack bonus (But you shouldn't be short on + to hit with a rapier, or any other piercing weapon), though you will probably strike a critical every third or forth attack and with a decent off-handed seeker weapon you can pump the damage through the roof, though you won't lack for confirming crits.

Power Critical +4
Fighter Crit Accuracy +8
Seeker Weapon +8
Total +20 to confirm critical.
You could probably drop the strength 1-2 points for some other ability score bumps.

Also note that this is a 32 point build.

moorewr
04-30-2008, 09:21 PM
Here was my take on the concept.
Displacer
Level 16 Lawful Good Elf Male
(14 Fighter \ 1 Rogue \ 1 Wizard)

You could do 13F/2R/1W for evasion - displacement would be your armor anyway what with TWF (along with Stoneskin scrolls when you UMD gets high enough), so you could wear robes or other light armor instead of maxing AC.

Jarlaxel
05-02-2008, 09:35 PM
I currently have a 14F/2Rogue evasion displacement TWF. I love him. TWF AC is maxed out at 50 self-buffed. If I had insight greensteel bonus I could bump it up to 53. I Will take a level of wizard when cap increases for extra feat, extend, shield spell, and stoneskin wands. As an Elf unbuffed, I have 337 HP so dissplacement does help a lot and its fun to run through an entire quest dissplaced. I wish more people would see the value of an elven dissplacer and build more exotic builds. Tired of seeing all these fat, stuby legged dwarves running around.

Another variation that I have always wanted to try but never will is 8F/6ranger/2 rogue. Get the feats and D10 hit dice available to the fighter, pick up tempest, healing, and extend with the ranger, and then evasion, umd, and backstab with the rogue. Someday i'll plan it out and post it on here.

D'rin
05-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Jarlaxle I couldn't agree more about wanting more varieties of tanks out there. I have a lvl 4f/2 pally version in the works. Mine is going to be an intimidate tank with cleave and great cleave. I was originally going 12/4 but may change that to allow more of the pally feat that increases hate for a duration. It would also add to my AC and saves. I may throw in 2 levels of rogue but just not sure about that. Evasion would be nice but not deal breaking.

The nice thing about this charater is I can sword and board for AC in the low 60's, with common buffs and no raid loot, or thf for more damage since I have power attack.

D'rin
05-14-2008, 10:35 AM
So update on this character. I ran SC with lvl 6's on normal last night. Very nice character to play in the regard that I can easily tank. With an self buffed AC of 46 not much is hitting me. Add in displacement and I was able to jump into large groups and cleave/great cleave them all down without any damage taken. Also with intimidate I could pull all the aggro first then hit cleave and great cleave to make sure it stayed on me. When I wanted to I could switch on power attack and throw out some descent damage(actually lead in kills for the quest). But the various rolls that this character can assume are kinda nice. Main AC intimidate tank, tfh dps(not barbarian level but still descent), back up healing with wands after fights to save on sp, and added beauty to the group since one of the tanks is not a short little hairy dwarf.

Blazer
05-14-2008, 10:56 AM
Very nice D'rin, thanks for the update.

I ended up respeccing my elven fighter/pally for the 2nd level dragonmarks + extend as well and have thoroughly enjoyed the self-displacement. Since I took all the dragonmark enhancements, I can actually displace the entire party if needed, but only typically do this before a boss fight or if I know a shrine is around the corner. Otherwise, I save them for me. The invisibilities are pretty nice too, they've come in handy now and again. She doesn't have the AC of my defensive tank build, nor the HP of a dwarf (she's just shy of 400 now, waiting to make the 3rd tier shroud HP item for her), but she's a nice change from the dwarf platform.

moorewr
05-14-2008, 11:17 AM
Just got Paracelsus flagged for the Shroud (darn guild-mates keep making me log my cleric in, heh). This will be a learning experience! I understand Harry behaves like he has True Seeing, which disappoints me, and that the flying blades ignore blur/displace. Grr.

Should be a good portal slapper with power attack. I can either tank Harry tolerably (321 HP now at level 13) or off-tank. I could see how I do with the Silver Bow. Should be self-supporting if I'm not tanking, at any rate.

I've still been going the AC route, though I'd have been better off if I'd done a few levels of paladin instead of 1 bard - with ranger barkskin and a paladin around I'm in the 50s. I have enough UMD for stone skin, so I often SS myself. I do pretty well with kills even sword-and-boarding, though I can't match the STR of a DPS dorf. I'm pretty low maintenance in Vale quests and all, since I can slow down damage with SS and Displacement and carry a nice assortment of wands.

D'rin
05-14-2008, 12:58 PM
My plan is to go at least 10 lvls of fighter but I may stop at that point and go the rest pally. The extra resists and aura would be nice. Plus add in the +3 df when needed and I should be in good shape since my str will be in the 30's and have wf, greater weapon focus, weapon spec. I could go 12fighter/8 pally and get greater weapon spec or 10/10 for better pally stuff. Not sure which way yet but its a long way off.

DF caps at level 9 correct?

Blazer
05-14-2008, 02:26 PM
DF caps at level 9 correct?

Correct.

I guess the question to ask yourself is, which would benefit you more: an additional +2 damage (pre-crit) with only the type of weapon you use (prolly slashing), or an additional +1 damage (pre-crit) on any weapon? I was planning on going to 6 pally on mine to get DF to +2/+2, but now I'm considering going 4 ranger to get Ram's Might, which actually works out to be more damage and will stack with the +1/+1 I currently get from DF.

moorewr
05-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Shroud Report ->

Displacement is useful in parts 1 and 2. Elsewhere it was not beneficial. My AC (mid 40s) was marginal, but I could hold my own in part 2.

Overall, being low level (13 then, 14 now) I was below the tank average for HP and DPS.. but I was a good Portal Puncher - with power attack and a greater construct bane I was averaging 30-35 points per swing.. our one arcane did not enfeeble all the portals, so I don't know where my numbers were boosted by that or not.

Part 4 -> I started using my silver bow (which was marginally effective) and tanked once we lost some fighters. I think I did fine DPS-wise - I have a transmuting BS of pure good - but without a dedicated healer my 321 HP just vanished. We didn't make it to part 5, but same issues operate there - Harry and the flying blades ignore displacement and normal AC numbers.

D'rin
05-20-2008, 08:59 AM
Correct.

I guess the question to ask yourself is, which would benefit you more: an additional +2 damage (pre-crit) with only the type of weapon you use (prolly slashing), or an additional +1 damage (pre-crit) on any weapon? I was planning on going to 6 pally on mine to get DF to +2/+2, but now I'm considering going 4 ranger to get Ram's Might, which actually works out to be more damage and will stack with the +1/+1 I currently get from DF.

Interesting Idea. I would probably reroll at that point,since I am only 6th, and focus on twf. Figure with the fighter lvls getting the tempest pre req would be easy. It would look similiar to Illuminatis dragon tempest.

moorewr
05-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Exactly - Tempest ftw. If I were to build anoter shadowmarked character I would definitely do some variation on rogue/ranger or rogue/ranger/pally with TWF. A friend refers to that version of the Batman as the "Lone Ranger."

Or, maybe I'll work something up so I can finally be excited about monks.. Shadow Monk...

D'rin
05-20-2008, 11:57 AM
I have thought about a shadow monk as well. The invisibility and displacement just seem to make sense with the mythology around monks. There are going to be a boat load of dwarven monks for more hps but an elven one would be pretty cool as well. Not to mention the extra dex may be really nice to get TWF, if they allow it to add attacks with FoB active.

D'rin
05-20-2008, 11:59 AM
Exactly - Tempest ftw. If I were to build anoter shadowmarked character I would definitely do some variation on rogue/ranger or rogue/ranger/pally with TWF. A friend refers to that version of the Batman as the "Lone Ranger."

Or, maybe I'll work something up so I can finally be excited about monks.. Shadow Monk...

I also have a 10th lvl rogue/ranger/fighter. she is a little squishy at this point with only 128 hitpoints. The fighter levels are to take 2 and get the feats for tempest.

Mapa
06-02-2008, 01:49 AM
Nevermind

moorewr
06-02-2008, 07:14 AM
Anyone want to take a stab at the "Tempest Shadow Monk" idea?

D'rin
06-02-2008, 08:57 AM
I am guessing that since the wind stance does not currently stack with haste It probably would not stack with tempest, since they are both class enhancement boosts. But a primarily fire stance monk with twf kamas and 6 levels of ranger would be a pretty sweet.
Figure str would be
starting 16 +4 lvls + 3 stance +2 tome +6 item+ 2 rams might=33 or 34 not to shaby.

Aerendil
09-26-2008, 07:50 AM
Sorry for the massive bump, but I had this thread bookmarked (not to mention I can't be arsed to start a new thread when we have a perfectly good one already made!) and wanted to check up on a few things.

It's been a few months now, so I'm presuming most of the builds in this thread have either died, or are now maxed.
I'm just curious how they turned out.

In addition, I'm toying around with an Elven Shadowblade type myself (while waiting for the proposed Fighter changes), and finding it quite fun.
I took my first level of Wizard lastnight for Extend, but found I actually enjoy having Shield, Detect Secret Doors, Expeditious Retreat, Jump and Feather Fall more than I had expected, and they are amazing boosts for solo or in random PUGs (since I never know what the other guys will bring to the table). I've never really delved into the caster side of things before (I love my melee), but I'm actually quite tempted to take it a bit further as I found that even with Extend, my 1st level spells didn't last nearly long enough.
And with an Elf's ability to wear mithril full plate and still be able to cast efficiently (via Elven Arcane Fluidity), it's almost a shame to not take advantage of that.

So my choices at this point are to go either 15 Fighter / 1 Wizard (short-lived Shield, and Extend + Displacement, but lose 1 BAB in the end over a pure Fighter); 13 Fighter / 3 Wizard (6min Shield and Expeditious Retreat, plus access to stat-buffs and Web, but lose 2 BAB); or 11 Fighter / 5 Wizard (10min Shields!, plus stat buffs, and now access to Haste, Heroism, Rage, and Prot. from Energy, but lose 3 BAB over a pure Fighter).

It's a tough call, really. The latter build (11/5 split) *looks* the most appealing on paper, as it would still allow me to max out his TWF line, get the 2 dragonmark feats, and still get weapon focus, imp. crit, and possibly weapon spec., as well as all the Fighter enhancements I planned on (armor mastery III, etc.). But of course, what's on paper doesn't always translate well in-game to actual effectiveness and fun-factor.

Any thoughts/opinions?
Just curious how everyone else's Shadowblade / Gish / Bladesinger / whatever-you-want-call-them turned out :)

moorewr
09-26-2008, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the bump. :)

Paracelsus is capped (15 fighter/1 bard). On the plus side he's got a good intimidate score, a workable AC, five three minute displacements, can use cure wands, and has a UMD high enough to carry raise dead scrolls. On the minus side he isn't a great solo build (no self-healing) and his DPS doesn't compare to any Barb or TWF fighter you meet. Also it is depressing to run into so much raid content that ignores displacement.

I think if I were to redo him I'd be tempted to go the batman route - 10 fighter/4 paladin/2 rogue - that way I could get extend and have Lay on hands. Or a tempest build - 8 fighter/6 ranger/2 rogue - TWF and maximum reliance on displacement v. AC.I am sticking with him, and sticking with fighter for the last for levels, at least until I see the new fighter prestige enhancements.

Mapa
09-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the bump. :)

Paracelsus is capped (15 fighter/1 bard). On the plus side he's got a good intimidate score, a workable AC, five three minute displacements, can use cure wands, and has a UMD high enough to carry raise dead scrolls. On the minus side he isn't a great solo build (no self-healing) and his DPS doesn't compare to any Barb or TWF fighter you meet. Also it is depressing to run into so much raid content that ignores displacement.

I think if I were to redo him I'd be tempted to go the batman route - 10 fighter/4 paladin/2 rogue - that way I could get extend and have Lay on hands. Or a tempest build - 8 fighter/6 ranger/2 rogue - TWF and maximum reliance on displacement v. AC.I am sticking with him, and sticking with fighter for the last for levels, at least until I see the new fighter prestige enhancements.

I went the Fighter 12 / Pali 4 route stressing Intimidate and OTWF Longsword DPS as the situation dictates. My one weakness is my will save but that can be overcome. I started him before Tempest came out and was thinking of rolling a new Ranger / Fighter and maybe Rogue Tempest Evasion Displacer as well. He'll develop slow but I think it could work.

D'rin
10-01-2008, 01:26 PM
I have a displacement fighter in the works right now. I took a little break so only 7th level currently. I am taking mine the route of an intimidate tank. Long term I will have an AC that should be good for tanking just about everthing. The breakdown will look like this:
10 base
13 armor
6 dex
9 mitharl tower shield
2 rituals on shield and armor
5 CE
5 deflection
3 aura
3 dodge
--------
56 beholder proof

3 bark
1 haste
----------
60 self buffed.

ideal with raid items and raid buffs
2 ranger bark
2 full pally
2 recitation
4 bard
------

3 chattering ring
4 insight weapon
---------------

With that I will have extended displacement from going 10fighter 6pally. The main reason for the 6 pally is the divine right for added hate to help maintain aggro. I have power attack, cleave and great cleave. So I can go in hit intimidate gather cleave, great cleave with divine righteousness and have all the aggro close by for the next intimidate.

We shall see if this character stays after they make the dwarven defenders. I have always had a special place in my hearts for the dwarven defender.

moorewr
10-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Very nice, D'rin!

==
I waiting to see what Turbine does to help us S&B types in upcoming mods.. I'm concerned that 56/77 isn't enough AC if you extrapolate from the current situation...

If S&B AC isn't going to cut it then I have some hard choices for my build... I've got plenty of dex for TWF if I decided not to go to 19 levels of fighter.. so I could consider a couple rogue levels, but only if I was going away from S&B for my AC.

D'rin
10-01-2008, 07:00 PM
That is my thought as well. I have enough dex to get the twf line at least with a tome. So if S&B go by the way side then I can always switch to yet another TWF build. That will only make 4 or 5 for me.

Thrudh
10-03-2008, 02:42 PM
It's a tough call, really. The latter build (11/5 split) *looks* the most appealing on paper, as it would still allow me to max out his TWF line, get the 2 dragonmark feats, and still get weapon focus, imp. crit, and possibly weapon spec., as well as all the Fighter enhancements I planned on (armor mastery III, etc.). But of course, what's on paper doesn't always translate well in-game to actual effectiveness and fun-factor.

Any thoughts/opinions?
Just curious how everyone else's Shadowblade / Gish / Bladesinger / whatever-you-want-call-them turned out :)

FYI, I have a 11/5 hobbit ranger/wizard who absolutely rocks... 10 min shield, exp retreat (who needs striders?), blur... 1 minute displacement, haste... You also have a 50% chance to invoke Greater Heroism and True Seeing from scrolls without UMD... so you can self-cast those too (takes multiple attempts sometimes, so can be costly).

I can swap between displacement and rage for end-boss fights...

Since you already have displacement, you could just pick haste and rage as your 3rd level spells...

A melee who can self-cast displacement, shield, blur, rage, haste... is a killing machine...

These kind of builds weren't too good before they raised the cap to 16... as the cap gets higher and higher though, taking 5 levels of wizard doesn't hurt your main class as much...

What I like is the self-sufficiency... Beholders pop out in the Hound?? You kill them, and rebuff yourself... all the other melee types are going to run the rest of that run without buffs because the casters are too busy to rebuff everyone... Meanwhile you have displacement, shield, and haste back up almost immediately...

Aerendil
10-07-2008, 07:58 AM
FYI, I have a 11/5 hobbit ranger/wizard who absolutely rocks... 10 min shield, exp retreat (who needs striders?), blur... 1 minute displacement, haste... You also have a 50% chance to invoke Greater Heroism and True Seeing from scrolls without UMD... so you can self-cast those too (takes multiple attempts sometimes, so can be costly).

I can swap between displacement and rage for end-boss fights...

Since you already have displacement, you could just pick haste and rage as your 3rd level spells...

A melee who can self-cast displacement, shield, blur, rage, haste... is a killing machine...

These kind of builds weren't too good before they raised the cap to 16... as the cap gets higher and higher though, taking 5 levels of wizard doesn't hurt your main class as much...

Yeah, I think if I were to do it all over again, I'd go with Ranger / Wizard instead of Fighter / Wizard.
Ranger is at home with light armour, and so a level of an arcane class isn't too bad for spell failure checks. As a fighter who went mostly STR-based, even in mithril full plate, I'm still looking at a 25% spell failure, which drives me up the wall. And the only real way around it, aside from rerolling and going DEX build with light armour instead, is to sink a lot of SP points into the Arcane Fluidity line (which will only really be effective at Fluidity 2 and 3).

It's also tough because people often invite me expecting me to tank. And as a TWF Fighter early on, that's hard to do with a **** AC. Sure, barkskin pots and such help, as do 2min Shields, but that can get expensive and annoying quickly. And equipping a shield is fine when the situation calls for it, but I didn't want to have to equip it 24/7 simply so that I could survive - which is often the case pre-10 or so.

I'm sure at later levels with Arcane Fluidity maxed out, +5 MFP, and longer Shields (if I increase my Wizard levels), it won't be as much of an issue. He'd fill the "displacement fighter" role very effectively. But right now, he just feels gimped (currently 6 fighter / 1 wizard).

Maybe an 11 Fighter / 5 Wizard or 10 / 6 split could be effective in the long run.
We'll see I guess. I don't want to give up on this character yet, as he's had some really great runs and functions very well when not tanking (his dps is impressive already).