PDA

View Full Version : Does strength still add to damage when you have weapon finesse?

Relenthe
08-01-2007, 11:22 PM
I was recently playing on my lvl 5 rogue and the cleric threw a bull's strength on me, and then i said i was dex based. He then said a few extra points of damage doesnt hurt. Does strength still add to your damage if you have weapon finesse?

Borror0
08-01-2007, 11:45 PM
I was recently playing on my lvl 5 rogue and the cleric threw a bull's strength on me, and then i said i was dex based. He then said a few extra points of damage doesnt hurt. Does strength still add to your damage if you have weapon finesse?

Yeah, when you take Weapon Finess you only apply your Dex mod to you to-hit. Your damage are still influenced by your Strength.

Relenthe
08-02-2007, 12:15 AM
dam, then my rogue and ranger are both doomed for damage.

Borror0
08-02-2007, 12:27 AM
dam, then my rogue and ranger are both doomed for damage.

Rogue? Doomed for damage? You know how damaging your Sneak attacks are? ;)

Relenthe
08-02-2007, 12:33 AM
o right it goes up to 7d6, then i guess just my ranger

Snike
08-02-2007, 01:13 AM
Yea a lot of dex based rangers still put a bit into STR. But you could still get around it by using good weapons or even stat damaging weapons on him.

UriahHeep
08-05-2007, 06:27 PM
You may find that at higher levels as a Ranger, rather than going for DPS you can be the guy that helps the group in other ways. One instance is, Rangers get improved precise shot. If you have a ranged paralyzer you can paralyze all the monsters while the melee party destroys them. This game has so many weapon damages other than DPS that you will find something that will work with your high dexterity.

Beorn_The_Bear
08-06-2007, 09:25 AM
Yes and the other great thing you mist is that rangers also add their strenght bonus to their ranged damage!!! But then I agree with the previous, it's not all about damage but strategy

rimble
08-06-2007, 09:31 AM
Or you can jack your Dex way up and use Power Attack.

Beorn_The_Bear
08-06-2007, 09:35 AM
not a bad idea at all. Quick one since we mentioned sneak attack: Does ranging an enemy already engaged in combat with an ally considered a sneak attack?

The_Silver_Griffon
08-06-2007, 09:42 AM
Or you can jack your Dex way up and use Power Attack.

Just remember that you need at least a 13 Strength to take Power Attack.

The_Silver_Griffon
08-06-2007, 09:50 AM
not a bad idea at all. Quick one since we mentioned sneak attack: Does ranging an enemy already engaged in combat with an ally considered a sneak attack?

If the enemy is targetting the other character it is a sneak attack. In fact, in DDO you get a sneak attack any time your enemy is targetting someone else, is unaware of your presence, or if you are flanking them. As far as flanking goes, in PnP you can't flank with a ranged weapon because you don't threaten any squares but I'm not sure about that in DDO.