PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an idea for a WF build

Dworkin_of_Amber
08-01-2007, 02:32 PM
Ok, so I want to finally roll up a Warforged in my final character slot.
I have played out Paladins (including Evasion Pallys), Clerics (& Battle-Clerics), Barbarians, Rogues, Rangers, and Arcanes, while giving up on Bards... But screw all that.

Since the Warforged Forum is bare, I'd like to get some ideas of the best possible ways to abuse a Warforged Body.

Assumptions: 32-point build, +1 Tomes, +2 Favor Tome, +6 Stat Items, 1-2 pieces of Raid Loot

Disallowed Assumptions: +2 Tomes (other than 1750 Favor), +3 Tomes

Allowed Class: Any, and Multiclass is ok too.

Desire: Most abusive use of a Warforged's abilities & immunities. I am not looking for anything in particular, but some ideas to run with. Fun build, silly build, uber build... I'm really looking for ideas from those who really know Warforged. And I'm not adverse to odd things like a WF Cleric or Sorc, or a WF Rogue... as long as there is a point to the build, and it can succed in it's particular role.

FrodoCorleone
08-01-2007, 04:09 PM
From personal experience, I have to say that WF Barbs and Sorcs are very powerful builds, but if I were to try something out of the blue it will be a non/lite-healing WF battlecleric.

For a sorc build, I would focus more on damage/no-save spells since you will have -2 to CHA. Also Reconstruct is a must... even if you have to scroll it. One scroll should pretty work as a full heal.

WF Barbs only need to remember to take advantage of the WF Power Attack enhancements. This extra damage while 2handing is worth the negatives to-hit.

Tenkari_Rozahas
08-01-2007, 08:50 PM
32 points... well, the WF pally would rock with one of those, I've tried many different WF's, also, a composite plating WF babr would be viable with a 32 point build.

I've tried WF Pallys, Sorcs, Wizzy's, Rogue's, Fighters, and I even have a WF barb. he kicks ass. pallys would be the best i think with a 32 point build. with a normal build they are a little... hurt for stats becasue of the -cha.

Dworkin_of_Amber
08-02-2007, 10:34 AM
So I rolled up a WF Sorc to play around with starting stats of 8 / 8 / 18 / 14 / 6 / 16.
Ran him up to Level 2.3 last night, and he is a lot of fun. I *LOVE* the self-healing ability (most all of my characters are self-healing, and I prefer them).

Spells:
1) Repair Light Damage
1) Niac's Cold Ray
2) Burning Hands

Feats:
1) Maximize Spell

Skills:
Jump (MAX)
UMD (MAX)
Concentration (MAX)
Tumble (to positive)

What I want to know is, long-term,. are the starting stats right and what should the spell & feat progression be? Most of the "sorc guides" don't leave room for Repair spells... I know I can move to wands, but I wanted to play around with casting repair for a bit yet, before I spend pp on wands... and I like the fast-cast option of Repair spells... I dunno.

Just looking for some input, or an idea to better abuse Warforged. I already have 2 Paladins (Both Evasion Paladins of varying builds), and I really don't think I want to roll yet Another Paladin right now... but if you have some sample builds for the WF BattleCleric or some other odd builds, I am interested!

Thanks

FrodoCorleone
08-02-2007, 11:15 AM
My WF sorc only carries the Light Repair and Reconstruct spells... and tons of wands/scrolls. I hardly use Light Repair at high levels, but early on its nice until you can cast/scroll Reconstruct. I keep Light Repair slotted because with my current items/enhancements it repairs me for 40+ hps... not bad for a lvl 1 spell. I am also considering replacing Reconstruct, but being able to repair yourself fully in a sec is a great way to stay alive while the rest of the group is dying :)

Stats are fine. CHA and CON are the most important. INT lets you pick up more skills, but I would have personally removed the negatives from STR and/or DEX.

My feats are typical for Sorcs: Maximize, Empower, MT, IMT, Extend... I would have held off on Maximize until lvl 12 because it does burn a lot of SP, but with the new changes it might not matter as much.

Dworkin_of_Amber
08-02-2007, 01:25 PM
@Frodo - That's good to know. I was hoping to avoind taking any other Repair spells before Reconstruct, and it's good to know that I can pull it off.

One question that keeps nagging at me... wouldn't it be better to roll as a Wizard instead of Sorc? 18 Starting INT, fewer SP, more Metamagics, more Spells to choose from? Or does the -2 CHA really not make that big of a difference in the long run, and the raw power of a Sorc overcome it?

Thanks,
Dw

FrodoCorleone
08-02-2007, 01:56 PM
Depends on what you want to accomplish.

WF Sorc = damage spells (Wall of Fire, Scorching Ray, etc), buffing, no saving throw spells (i.e. Enveration)

WF Wiz = crowd control, charm, spells that require saving throws.

With this said, I can still land Finger of Death (my only saves-based spell) on my Sorc.

The sorc's faster casting time also allows you to repair yourself and other WF faster/better than any cleric. That's a big plus to me.

Dworkin_of_Amber
08-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Ok, then what are the best damage w/ no save spells to go for... I played a Wiz to Level 10 back when the cap was 10, then deleted him... so it has been awhile. What I don't know is what spells are *GOOD* for this type of char. Last time I played a Wiz it was all about Heightened PK FTW!

Ones I know:
Scorching Ray
Fireball
Wall of Fire
Enervation
Cone of Cold

And the mandatory "other" spells:
Jump
Resist Energy
Web
Hypnotic Pattern
Greater Heroism
Finger of Death

FrodoCorleone
08-02-2007, 02:22 PM
My bread&butter damage spells are maximized/empowered Wall of Fire & Scorching Ray. If I need something different I have Force Missiles and Otiluke's Freezing Sphere. Those are the ones I use more often, but I carry all of the force, fire and cold spells. You can also spec for electric (Chain Lightning) and acid (Acid Fog)... it's all a matter of taste.

Enervation is nice as a debuffer. No saves... you just have to hit with the ray (a la Scorching Ray). I currently scroll that spell.

Other good spells to have are: Jump, Haste, Stoneskin, Protection from Energy, Blur, Displacement. I scroll Greater Heroism and am considering wanding Protection.

Web and Hypno Pattern are nice, but low level and saves/DC based. Solid Fog still has its place on my spell list. Hold Monster, Dancing Ball, and Flesh to Stone are other good DC-saves based spells.

tsath1972
08-02-2007, 04:37 PM
blah double post

tsath1972
08-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Ive been playing with a WF build that is working out really well so far. The concept is self-sufficiency (because you can't trust others to cast repair and resist), melee-effectiveness (because thats the role I enjoy playing the most), and extended haste (to bribe people into letting this unknown build into their groups).

Currently the levels are 6 wiz/3 fighter. This gives me self buff's of heroism, blur, and shield all the time, and 1:30 hastes and displacements to use at the correct times. BaB hit from the wiz levels requires use of a +5 great axe, rather than some sexy burst weapon.

Results so far are good. Outkilling other builds, except the occasional well-played dwarf axe barbarian which can outkill this build. Always the last to die in a total party wipe, and often, if not always, able to overcome wipes and take the other 5 stones back to a shrine.

The two main drawbacks so far are 1) Parties hold you back for the first 6 or 7 levels. You will be carrying everyone else until level 7 or so; if you choose to join groups, expect to spend ALL your time keeping others from dying as they try to keep up with you. You level faster if you solo, but if you enjoy testing your build against others, try to slow it down... those fleshies will die and hate you more if you make them race you.

And 2) Everyone thinks a warforged fighter/mage is about as useful as a bicycle is to a fish. You will get a lot of denials from groups with leaders who don't know you yet. Basically, you'll have to start your own groups a lot of the time. Also, people will want you to play as a mage, which you can not do because your DCs are too low. Also, people will want you to buff them with the same buffs you give yourself, if you do you will run out of mana and actually become that bicycle.

Build keys: Int of 14 is enough to cast lvl 4 spells without having to blow an item slot for a clever item. Max STR and CON as best you can. You must have extend and mental toughness/imp mt. Take mithril body and 14 dex, a +6 dex item later will let you max your ac this way... and with shield spell youll actually have a better AC than any other great axe wielding build (save a paladin with the right enhancments), great AC coupled with 70% incorporeal means you dont get hit much... I go through whole missions without taking any physical damage at all; Ive even done stormcleave hard without getting hit once, and if Id had the 20 pt resists I could have shrugged off the energy damage too.

Beholders... kind of suck. This is the one encounter where you are better off letting someone else do the work. This build really requires its self-buffs to be outstanding, you're just a second rate fighter without them.

I was originally planning on only going 6 lvls mage, but Im going to go to 7 just for the benefit of 20 point resists... house P buffs wear out too fast.

My two concerns for the future are that my ability to be THE tank is going to go away at level 11, when barbarians and some fighters will start surpassing my kill ability. Still, Ive got the self-sufficency thing and the haste thing going on, and there are circumstances when the party NEEDs a warforged. Also, if you are in a guild or get into a good PUG, most of your self buffs could be provided by someone else, so you have wasted BaB and HPs by being able to buff yourself.

This build is really about self-sufficiency, and I don't think anything else comes close to succeeding in that goal as well as this guy. But more than that, this build is about having a viable and fun WARFORGED that doesnt require bedgrudgingly given support from other players.

amysrevenge
08-02-2007, 11:24 PM
One build to consider is the DR build. I don't have the details in front of me, but if you take Adamantine Body, Shield Mastery, and the warforged DR enhancements, you can get your DR up pretty high. Max out your Intimidate, and shield block all day long (with your Adamantine tower shield of course).

Mike

noobz86
08-03-2007, 08:35 AM
I've been working on a WF Ranger 2/Clr 9/Pally 3 with mith body feat, has been fun so far :P

ebnielsen
08-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 2.70
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)
Blackskull Reforged
Level 14 Lawful Good Warforged Male
(10 Fighter \ 2 Paladin \ 2 Rogue)
Hit Points: 208
Spell Points: 0
BAB: 13\13\18\23
Fortitude: 19
Reflex: 12
Will: 9
Starting Ending Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Base Stats Modified Stats
(32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 14) (Level 14)
Strength 15 15 18
Dexterity 12 12 12
Constitution 16 16 18
Intelligence 10 10 10
Wisdom 8 8 8
Charisma 14 17 18
Starting Ending Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 14) (Level 14)
Balance 2 5 0
Bluff 2 4 4
Concentration 3 4 4
Diplomacy 2 4 4
Disable Device n/a n/a n/a
Haggle 4 6 6
Heal -1 -1 -1
Hide 1 1 -4
Intimidate 2 4 4
Jump 3 6 1
Listen -1 -1 -1
Move Silently 1 1 -4
Open Lock n/a n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a n/a
Repair 0 10 10
Search 0 0 0
Spot -1 -1 -1
Swim 2 11 1
Tumble n/a n/a n/a
Use Magic Device n/a 19 22

Level 1 (Paladin)
Skill: Balance (+1)
Skill: Haggle (+2)
Skill: Jump (+1)
Feat: (Selected) Adamantine Body
Enhancement: Warforged Damage Reduction I
Level 2 (Paladin)
Enhancement: Paladin Charisma I
Enhancement: Warforged Brute Fighting I
Level 3 (Fighter)
Skill: Repair (+2)
Feat: (Selected) Iron Will
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons
Enhancement: Fighter Armor Class Boost I
Enhancement: Fighter Critical Accuracy I
Enhancement: Fighter Item Defense I
Enhancement: Warforged Constitution I
Level 4 (Fighter)
Ability Raise: CHA
Skill: Swim (+2)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Power Critical
Enhancement: Fighter Strength I
Level 5 (Rogue)
Skill: Use Magic Device (+8)
Enhancement: Fighter Armored Agility I
Level 6 (Fighter)
Feat: (Selected) Skill Focus: Use Magic Device
Level 7 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Weapon Specialization: Slashing Weapons
Enhancement: Fighter Armor Class Boost II
Enhancement: Fighter Critical Accuracy II
Enhancement: Warforged Brute Fighting II
Enhancement: Warforged Damage Reduction II
Level 8 (Fighter)
Enhancement: Fighter Item Defense II
Enhancement: Warforged Constitution II
Level 9 (Fighter)
Skill: Jump (+1)
Skill: Swim (+1)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons
Feat: (Selected) Improved Damage Reduction
Enhancement: Fighter Armored Agility II
Enhancement: Fighter Strength II
Level 10 (Rogue)
Skill: Use Magic Device (+7)
Enhancement: Warforged Brute Fighting III
Level 11 (Fighter)
Enhancement: Fighter Critical Accuracy III
Level 12 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Greater Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons
Feat: (Selected) Improved Damage Reduction
Enhancement: Fighter Armor Class Boost III
Level 13 (Fighter)
Enhancement: Warforged Damage Reduction III
Level 14 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Quick Draw
Enhancement: Fighter Strength III

This is with no items, I am planing on having +4 Str Con & Cha Item, Nightforge Darkhelm, +5 Heavy Steel Sheild, +5 Docent or Docent of Defence (the only thing I don't have now). This build should do massive amounts of damage and keep the ation of any one he hits. It has DR7/Adamantine and over 200 Hp. The 2 Pally levels gives him Lay on Hands and the Rogue gives him a UMD high enough to use most repair wands with out trouble. The Nightforge Darkhelm raises his Will save 6 to 15 which is not bad for a Warforged.

RemoJr
08-04-2007, 03:56 PM
I call this the arcain defender build. It's a caster that can survive anything thrown at him.

WF 13 wiz/ 1 paladin

str 10 +6 item = 16 str
dex 14 + 6 item = 20 dex
con 16 + 2 enh + 6 item = 24 con
int 18 + 3 lvls + 3 enh + 6 item + 2 favor tome = 32 int
wis 8 +2 (Bam helm) = 10 wis
cha 6

feats:
1- mithral plating
1wiz- extend
3-mental toughness
5wiz- maximize
6-imp. mental toughness
9-dodge
10wiz- highten
12- combat expertise

AC:
10 base
5 mithral plating
5 +5 lesser arcain sigil docent
5 dex
7 +5 mith heavy sheild (no arcain failure with lesser arcain sigil docent and mithral)
3 sheild of faith potion
2 chaosguard
1 haste
3 barkskin potion
3 chattering ring
5 combat expertise
1 paladin aura
1 dodge feat
-----------------------------
51 AC self-buffed
2 sheild of faith from cleric
2 barkskin from ranger
3 paladin aura from full paladin
2 blocking
1 holding a parrying weapon
------------------------------------
61 AC max

HP:
52 wiz
10 pal
20 heroic spirit
10 argon favor
98 con
30 greater false life item
false life spell
-------------------
240 HP

Attack:
7 BaB
3 str
5 weapon
4 gtr. heroism
1 haste
------------
+20 attack base
8 divine favor clicky (between the str bonus and BaB bonus)
-5 combat expertise
-----------------
+23 self-buffed with clicky, it can get far higher with other buffs

saves:
fort 21 = 6 base + 7 con + 4 resistence + 4 gtr. heroism
ref 17 = 4 base + 5 dex + 4 resistence + 4 gtr. heroism
will 17 = 8 base + 5 BAM helm + 4 gtr. heroism

The basic idea here is being able to throw down a maximized firewall, delayed fireball (instent), or any other high damage aggro gathering spell and being able to take the beating for your party, while the meleers take the mobs down 1-by-1. If you take some damage, simply use reconstruct. Use buffs to increase your defenses like stoneskin and displacement. Go for enhancements that increase your casting and defenses. If you want a little more meleeing ability, lower your starting int to 16 and increase your str to 14, and increase your wis to 10 for a little more will save.

Line-dog
08-17-2007, 07:52 PM
. . .
AC:
10 base
5 mithral plating
5 +5 lesser arcain sigil docent
5 dex
7 +5 mith heavy sheild (no arcain failure with lesser arcain sigil docent and mithral)
3 sheild of faith potion
2 chaosguard
1 haste
3 barkskin potion
3 chattering ring
5 combat expertise
1 paladin aura
1 dodge feat
-----------------------------
51 AC self-buffed
2 sheild of faith from cleric
2 barkskin from ranger
3 paladin aura from full paladin
2 blocking
1 holding a parrying weapon
------------------------------------
61 AC max
. . .

Don't forget, if you're relying on 5 AC from Combat Expertise, that CE switches off when you cast a spell or use a wand.

Epitome
08-19-2007, 03:30 AM
Best thing to do when you are a caster with CE is to cast Tensers then put CE on because you won't be casting or clicking to take that CE off for abit.

RemoJr
08-19-2007, 07:18 AM
i realize the whole no casting with CE on, the reasoning for that would be to se it after your casting is done. You can walk in, cast a hightend, extended, maximized firewall with ass much fire enhancement as you can get, and then sheild up inside of it. That's just an example ofcorse, you can do the same with any damaging spell.