PDA

View Full Version : Help with weapon choice

Flicken
07-30-2007, 04:07 PM
I want to increase my melee output on my 14th level human bard (Spellsinger). My str is not high enough to really benefit from a 2 hander. I am thinking D axe, as I can get the RR ones at a decent price ( UMD FTW!). Also leaning towards Khopesh as the 19-20 X3 crit is the sexy.

My current stats and feats are as follows.

24/16/14/10/8/28

Feats in order taken:

1) Skill focus UMD AND spell focus enchantment
3 MT
6 extend
9) IMT
12) Greater Spell focus ENCH.

Now, If I wanted to pick up improved crit I would have to drop the G:SFE. I don't really want to do that as I cast a lot of offensive spells ( ottos sphere, mass suggest, soundburst, hypno...). Will loseing 1 DC on these make them that much less effective?

I don't mind dropping the IMT as with the spellsinger I will still have around 900 mana going into an adventure.

so, my options are

1) drop IMT and get khopesh or D axe. Pick up improved crit with level cap increase.

2) Drop GSF enchantment AND IMT to get imp crit slashing and kopesh.

3) Drop GSF and get improved crit pierce and get some good short swords and rapiers.

4) Wait till cap raises to get Improved crit and maximize the Longswords.

5) roll another battle bard :).

I really like the spell casting ability of this guy. I am just not sure the best route to maximize his combat ability a little more.

Opinions?

A_Sheep
07-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Couldn't you respec it so that GSF:Enchant is taken at 9th level?

(cost: 3 shards)
Drop IMT, Take Junk feat (Weapon Focus: Piercing)
Drop GSF: Enchat, Take Improved Critical: Piercing
Drop Junk Feat, take GSF: Enchant.

I think that's the best route for what you want (although it will cost 3 shards and over a week to finish the respec).

The best damage increase would be khopesh + improved Crit, but if you're casting alot, then the GSF will be a big percent increase in spells landing.

Flicken
07-30-2007, 04:27 PM
Ah, good point about the moving around of feats. I have a few shards and 1 free respec on this guy so it wouldn't be too costly. Thanks!

Freeman
07-30-2007, 08:54 PM
(cost: 3 shards)
Drop IMT, Take Junk feat (Weapon Focus: Piercing)
Drop Junk Feat, take GSF: Enchant.

I think that's the best route for what you want (although it will cost 3 shards and over a week to finish the respec).

Um, the first feat swap in your list doesn't do anything. Instead, you just need the last two:

Drop IMT, take GSF: Enchant.

With some decent rapiers, the increased crit range should up your damage a decent amount.

sigtrent
07-31-2007, 04:12 PM
Rapier is actualy a very good DPS weapon so the above advice is good.

Kopesh is pretty decent if you want to make the investment, I quite like them.

If you don't use a shield anyhow... I might go for greatsword and try to get your hands on a sword of shadows.

Flicken
08-01-2007, 08:13 AM
Thanks again for all the input. Much appreciated! :D

I dropped GSF:enchantment last night and picked up Improved crit Pierce. I have no rapiers yet but the one decent SS I had was critting left and right. I also managed to pull a bloodstone so it packs a punch. I can't wait to find a seeker rapier!

I will see how my CC spells land now. If I am not happy with it I will drop IMT and get the spell focus back. I think +1 DC to my spells might be better then the 70 spell points.

In the end I did not want to drop both feats for a new weapon. When the cap goes up and if I can find a nice collection of khopeshes I might swap out. We shall see ;) .

Thanks again. :)

Nezichiend
10-02-2009, 10:30 PM
Khopesh.

BoBoDaClown
10-03-2009, 05:36 AM
I don't mean to go off on a tangent, but just a note; if you want to continue to cast offensively, the Spell Pen feats instead of the mental toughness feats will be very useful at later levels.