PDA

View Full Version : No STR Ranger??

simon043
07-29-2007, 06:38 PM
Hey All,

Does a ranger still get the benefits of the TWF feats if I have low Dex? I'm thinking of making a TWF build that doesn't waste points in Dex, instead MAX str and high CON & WIS.

Snike
07-29-2007, 06:51 PM
Yes, TWF is really only DEX based when you take the feat weapon finesse with it. Check the ranger forums, a lot of STR based builds there.

tihocan
07-31-2007, 09:13 AM
Be aware though that rangers do not get more TWF feats per the d20 rules, but it would seem logical for Turbine to add more feats in this line (which is already rather weak), that would require high dex (I'd assume 19 at least).

rimble
07-31-2007, 09:53 AM
You never need to meet the pre-requisites for class granted Feats. The high-Strength low-Dex TWF Ranger is a popular concept amongst those who don't like having to meet the Dex requirements.

PurdueDave
07-31-2007, 10:21 AM
Hey All,

Does a ranger still get the benefits of the TWF feats if I have low Dex? I'm thinking of making a TWF build that doesn't waste points in Dex, instead MAX str and high CON & WIS.

That's a proven concept. Consider evasion and light armor when mapping your DEX out, though.

GeneralDiomedes
07-31-2007, 10:26 AM
Also be aware of the dex bonus on light armor .. unless you are taking a level of fighter.

EDIT: sorry didn't see the above post.

QuantumFX
07-31-2007, 11:45 AM
Hey All,

Well it appears that a lot of the current STR based builds got deleted in the great forum database snafu. They can be a lot of fun if done right.

First, you want to focus on what kinds of weapons you want to focus on. Dwarven melee enhancements applies to all the major fighting styles except archery but you're stuck with being a slashing weapon user to really be top of the line. Drow melee enhancements work really well for the TWF style but you'll really want to cart around puncturing weapons to really take advantage of it. Elf Melee enhancements are kind of in between the dwarf and drow. It's not condusive to low/mid level dual weilding but you have 2 types of damage to work with and you also have a ranged enhancement that works great with the ranger's free feats. Humans as of mod 5 will be the best generalists. Free feats and Human Versatility 3.0 in the hands of an smart player will be hard to contend with.

Next we have to work on your bias against dexterity... Dex is more important for a ranger than wisdom. A ranger has both the fast advancement for fort and reflex saves. They're 1 of 3 base D&D classes that get evasion. Why would you want to gimp yourself if you have access to one of the most powerful damage avoiding feats in the game? This doesn't mean that you need to hit a 30 dex to be a ranger. But going for a starting 14 dex on a race that doesn't get enhancement bonuses will allow you to hit a 22 DEX easily so you can fill out the dex bonus for any light armor.

Be aware though that rangers do not get more TWF feats per the d20 rules, but it would seem logical for Turbine to add more feats in this line (which is already rather weak), that would require high dex (I'd assume 19 at least).

If we ever see epic levels there is Perfect TWF which has a 25 DEX requirement.