PDA

View Full Version : Need help: Planning a persistant tandem of toons from scratch

Jacqq
07-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Hey everybody.

Right away let me say : 28 point build suggestions only please.

OK, didn't want to forget that... It's always a little bit frustrating to read about builds on these forums and 97% of them are 32 point builds. Must be almost everybodey has access to that by now, but I don't. However I digress.

I would like to roll up a toon for me and another for my spouse someday.
We actually love DDO enough that if money ever permits we would buy a whole second PC just so we could game together. :eek:

This would probably require a whole second subscription , huh? Anyways...

We would keep playing in our guild, but could additionally have alts on another server who exclusively played together.

It would be great if some people could give some ideas of character pairs who would best complement each other.

-We probably would only play these characters 5 to 10 hours a week. ( :( )
I want to plan ahead for when they reach higher levels, but I don't want us playing builds that "aren't so great at first but really blossom later." Because later to us may be much, much later. At the same time, even if we take 14 monthes to get to level 12 I think we will keep enjoying the game for awhile and will eventually get there. So, I would sacrifice some of what would optimize a toon at level 14 for a bit of immeadiate gratification. But I don't want to feel completely full of regret at the higher levels.

-I would like to be able to tackle almost every adventure out there. I am quite sure both characters will need to be multi-classed to accomplish this, but look to you all to verify this.

-Please forgive us, but we are old-school pen and paper AD+D players and won't play as Warforged. No offense. :cool:

-We are unfamiliar with most quests outside of the Harbour and Marketplace, so we would need to use spot to know traps were coming, etc... In other words we won't be able to rely on memorization and previous experience to help these characters through their journeys. These 2 would not be perma-death like all of our other characters are...

*** minor spoiler warning ***
-Don't hesitate to spell out what may seem obvious to you. Believe me, we will appreciate all advice and will NOT feel you are being condescending. There is a reason this is posted in the Newbie section of the message board! :p
For example, and this relates to wanting to finish every quest possible with 2 players, I know admantium weapons can harm the STK guardian and I know certain spells can too. But I don't know if Bards, Wizards or Clerics have the spells needed. Or if they all do. Another example, if some quest needs 4 pillars stood on then both toons would need to be able to summon pets.

-Any and all advice is appreciated, whether general and brief or uber-specific.

Some of the thoughts I've had: Make one toon with some rogue levels. Gotta handle those traps and pick those locks! Make that toon squishier, which would require the other to be a tank type. So the other will need to use Heavy armor and therefore can't really be arcane.

OK, advise away !!!!!!!
And Thanks!!!

-J.

Nitestalker
07-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Id suggest a bard/rogue for one that way you can do the Roguely deeds, and be able to heal either with bard spells or wands.

The other you would prolly want like a fighter maybe barbarian.

Or you could go with one being Paladin, can do the tanking and some healing. While the other can be wizard rogue to be able to get alot fo the rougely things done, and have some arcane ability too.

Ultimately comes down to what your playstyle is and what you want to do :)

Arianrhod
07-26-2007, 03:10 PM
My husband & I went with an elf cleric (for better weapon proficiencies) and a fighter/rogue till we got 400 faction, then switched to a paladin & rogue/wizard (mostly wizard) for the drow duo. Very high int wizard with a rogue level or 2 should be adequate for most locks & traps, with the versatility of a wizard for crowd control, damage, or whatever happens to be needed. The paladin will have to work hard to keep the "rogard" alive (i.e., do all the hand-to-hand fighting and carry wands for healing, lesser restoration, neutralize poison, remove curse, etc; paladins have almost as broad a list of wands they can use as clerics). We haven't gotten far with the drow pair yet, but we're hoping they make a solid duo. The first pair worked well together till 6th level (only quest we had to put together a group for was Shan-to-kor, because we were afraid to try the end fight with just the 2 of us). One thing we noticed with a duo was we really tried to pick our fights; for instance, since neither of us was built for very high hitpoints, we tended to avoid any optional encounters with ogres, minotaurs, earth elementals & the like (they all hit rather hard, can completely tie up the healer and burn up a lot of resources better spent on encounters where both can fight).

Anyway, good luck, and have fun

Jacqq
07-26-2007, 03:27 PM
If making a Wizard / Rogue which one would you take at level 1 ?

I know both get bonuses if taken 1st...

sigtrent
07-26-2007, 03:33 PM
Let me dole out a bit of general advice...

With only two players, you are going to need to know a lot of the tricks and tactics of more expereinced players in order to complete quests as you get out of the harbor and into the rest of the game. You will need to do a lot of the quests with characters of a higher level than what the quest lists for you. That means you will need to repeat quests in order to level up.

It also means you will need to know the quests well to complete some of them, there really isn't much of a way around this. You can learn them by struggling your way through the first time, but you may well often fail at quests your first time or two through them. Knowning when a bunch of monsters are about to jump you and what kinds of spells they cast will make a massive difference in wheter you succede or not. There isn't a lot of room for error in a two person team.

Your best bet is to join a group for a given quest at least once so you can get an overview of it before you tackle it with one or two characters.

Classes
Rogue might seem important.. but it isn't. There are a few quests where if you don't have a rogue you may not be able to complete the quest, but they are few. (this is intentional so you don't HAVE to have X character to do a quest) Firs and foremost you need to kill monsters, second you need to survive fights, and third you need to deal with the quest environment (which is where rogue skill often come in). It is possible to effectively mix Rogue in with other character classes, but its tricky due to the Stats, and such characters are some of the more difficult ones to play because they are fragile and start the game rather weak, something you specificaly wanted to avoid.

I'll try and post some builds in a bit, but here is my general thinking.
#1: Both characters need to contribute to killing mosnters
#2: You want at least one character that can heal
#3: You need to get elemental resistance to survive mid and high levels
#4: You need characters that arn't especialy difficult to play.

I'd go for One Bard, and One Cleric. Both oriented to fight in melee well and have decent AC at lower levels. Both decent spell casters in their class. Basicaly you have two solo characters that have abbilities that help one another. Between the two of them they will have very strong crowd control abbilities. You essentialy need to heal yoru way through traps, which is pretty easy to do most of the time.

Dariun
07-26-2007, 03:37 PM

Rogue, definitely.

sigtrent
07-26-2007, 03:45 PM

I know both get bonuses if taken 1st...

The only thing different about taking any class at first level are your skill points. At first level you get X4 skill points for your first class. Rogues get 8 skill points and wizards get 2. So starting as a rogue gives you an additional 24 skill points to spend.

The only other consideration at first level are feats. All characters get an extra feat at first level, and humans get yet another one. If you want feats that require a Base Attack Bonus of +1 (like weapon finesse or weapon focus) you might want to start in a class that has +1 BAB at first level so you can use your initial feats to pick up the +1 bab feats you want. Otherwise you need to wait a while to get them.

Arianrhod
07-26-2007, 03:49 PM
I'd go for One Bard, and One Cleric. Both oriented to fight in melee well and have decent AC at lower levels. Both decent spell casters in their class. Basicaly you have two solo characters that have abbilities that help one another. Between the two of them they will have very strong crowd control abbilities. You essentialy need to heal yoru way through traps, which is pretty easy to do most of the time.

I agree with most of this post, but would like to present a slighly different perspective on this recommendation:

I found bard's ac at low levels to be rather inadequate for meleeing. Until you start picking up mithral light shields you need to unequip your shield every time you cast a spell or risk spell failure, and until you get a decent mithral breastplate you're pretty much limited to chain shirts. They aren't bad, but they're no better than rogues at melee, and if built to really be a "jack-of-all-trades" they're liable to be worse than most melee-oriented rogues.

Another thing to keep in mind with respect to the need to know quests well to avoid disasters - this is certainly the surest strategy, but many can also be avoided by sneaking, taking it slow, and backing away before the enemies spot you so you can prepare properly (resist potions, combat expertise, whatever fits the situation) or avoid the encounter entirely ("I don't like the look of that troll...maybe we should just skip this room...")

I have to agree wholeheartedly with one aspect, however - both characters should be able to actively participate in most fights. Multiclassing can help (a fighter or paladin level for the cleric to get a better weapon selection, for instance), as can picking an unusual race (elven cleric, dwarven rogue or some such). The important thing is to make sure neither character is going to be helpless if the other is incapped - it will happen sometimes, and besides, it's boring to stand there and shield block all the time while waiting for the invincible tank to need a heal ;)

NameisToad
07-26-2007, 04:32 PM
Please forgive us, but we are old-school pen and paper AD+D players and won't play as Warforged. No offense. :cool:

I was totally with you on every point except this one. One of your best options is to play a warforged paladin and a warforged sorcerer or wizard. (Sorc is more fun in my opinion, but Wizard gets better stats easier due to the -2 Charisma for Warforged.)

Paladin's lay on hands affects either character with no penalty and the caster can heal them easily, even if you spend a feat on the improved fortification.

There's nothing that says you can't role-play warforged. Some of the Eberron books have some great ideas about role-playing warforged, actually. I wish I could get into a good Eberron pnp game. :( (I want to role-play a Warforged Paladin of the Silver Flame and talk with a lisp and answer to Sally with my bass voice. :) )

Jacqq
07-26-2007, 04:47 PM
I was totally with you on every point except this one. One of your best options is to play a warforged paladin and a warforged sorcerer or wizard.
There's nothing that says you can't role-play warforged. Some of the Eberron books have some great ideas about role-playing warforged, actually. :)

Like I said, I know it is kinda ignorant game-wise, but when I say old-school I mean TSR, not WOC.
I mean like...... 70's and 80's... :eek:
OK, I admitted it.

Arianrhod
07-26-2007, 05:12 PM
Like I said, I know it is kinda ignorant game-wise, but when I say old-school I mean TSR, not WOC.
I mean like...... 70's and 80's... :eek:
OK, I admitted it.

So, uh....does that mean no non-human or multiclass paladins either? ;) How about sorcerors, true neutral clerics & lawful good rogues? Nothing wrong with these choices, just looking at what to exclude from any recommendations.

Jacqq
07-26-2007, 05:17 PM
I know I know...

We are OK with all the other game changes.

We are even OK with the kobolds turning from terrier looking doggie creatures into gecko style monsters... ;)

We just can't get into the idea of playing as a Warforged.

I am not defending our feelings, just sharing them. I acknowledge that we are only hurting ourselves...

OK, please keep the advice rolling in!

Arianrhod
07-26-2007, 05:31 PM
One thing I may have forgotten to mention - if you go with a wizard/rogue (or any other character who doesn't have a spell list with Cure Light Wounds on it), be sure to put a few points into heal skill & carry a lot of healers kits until you get your Use Magic Device skill high enough to use cure wands fairly reliably (then ditch the heal kits, they become a waste of space as soon as you can use wands instead). I know most people would balk at this as heal skill is generally considered a waste of points, and it's true that once you get to mid-level you may never use it again. However, if, like me, you really, really hate reentering dungeons after death (or recalling to heal/regain spellpoints), it might be worth a few "wasted" skill points - especially on a character like a rogue, that has so many anyway.

Another thing to look into (and a more popular approach than putting points into heal skill) is to get a Ring of Rage (or wand of bear's endurance, for a wizard or sorceror), and use that to temporarily raise your partner's con enough to get them back on their feet when incapped.

Casta
07-26-2007, 06:20 PM
I would go pally and sorc, a pally can tank heal and deal decent melee damage, the sorc or wiz has crowd control and damage.

I think end game having a caster is as important as having a cleric, maybe more important if you already have a paladin or ranger who knows how to wand heal, a good caster can defenitly stop more damage with crowd control then a cleric can heal.

Jacqq
07-26-2007, 06:34 PM
One thing I may have forgotten to mention - if you go with a wizard/rogue (or any other character who doesn't have a spell list with Cure Light Wounds on it), be sure to put a few points into heal skill & carry a lot of healers kits

Does the skill check to determine success / failure vary as the game unfolds?
i.e. : is it harder to revive someone in end game play than it would be in a Goodblade quest?

And, what heal rating do you consider to be high enough to grant fairly consistant success with the heal kits?

By the way, we also like putting points into heal because it increases how many hit points you regain at the rest shrine...

Pinksock
07-26-2007, 06:49 PM
I have done what your wanting to do two different ways. While leveling my wizard, I tended to play with a guildie who was leveling a cleric at the same time. During the mid levels it was just often us so we Duo'ed alot of quests. Although both charecters were designed with parties in mind, this combination actually worked quite well as long as we prepared correct spells before quests and maintained good wand selection.
Recently though, my housemate and I started two charecters to duo together. First thing we did was decided how we wanted to play. We both wanted to enjoy our charecters so this ruled out a number of classes for each of us. We then made some sacrifices and came up with what we hoped would be fun and work well together.
My housemate is going 2 levels of rogue, 2 levels of ranger and the rest fighter (not taken in that order). This gives him enough skills to do the trap removal that he enjoys as well as the two weapon fighting he enjoys while giving him access to good fighter feats, heavy armour (so he not squishy) and the ability to use cure wands. I am going 1 level of fighter (or maybe two) and the rest cleric, with my charecter setup more as a battle priest style (high STR/CON, average WIS). This way I am heavily armoured, can melee effectively, can buff us both and can heal/cure and use healing wands. So far we are both level 5 and loving it. I think one of our best strength is that one person can always heal the other if the other has agro.

Finally - the only other advice I can offer is this: Smash all boxes and pickup all pots and gather all collectables. Use pots liberally. In some opening quests I collected a dozen shield of faith pots. I used these when 2handing to maintain a good AC and free up a spell slot. Collectables might generally give you ****, but it helps build a good platinum reserve and sometimes you get decent stuff like cure wands. Finally, try and maintain the best generic magical gear you can. What I mean by this is that at level 2, you can wear +2 full plate or use +2 weapons. Level 4 you can use +3 items. These are the ones without suffixes are prefixes usually. While those special weapons are nice, just maintianing your to hit, damage and ac with generic stuff helps alot and is actually extremely cheap (most of these items you can get as quest rewards and if not they are so prolifient that they are usually extremely cheap to get of AH/brokers).

Good luck and have fun.

Jacqq
07-26-2007, 07:14 PM
OK, thanks a million for the participation so far.

Let's say, for sake of fun and strategy both, that 1 of the toons will be

elf : ranger, rogue , wizard.
-Wizard over Sorcerer because INT helps search and charisma doesnt help ranger or rogue in any way.
-Benefit of crowd control makes sense, but Wizards wear robes, so high Dex that Ranger+rogue like fits in to help with AC. Rogue evasion for the same reason. staying back because squishy = using bow = ranger is good and back stab works with ranged weapons too.
-Ranger allows use of heal wands, which was recommended and makes sense.

the other toon being:
need advice for race :Pally, Cleric.
-Pally for hp, immunities, saves help, weapon choices.
-NOT going to use turn undead.
-Cleric mostly for buffs, spell points.

That being decided, if anyone would be kind enough to continue helping by giving their advice about what order to take levels for the various classes, what race the Pally/Cleric should be( thinking human probably...), what stats to start with ( 28 point build), and maybe what feats you might take when --- even what enhancements you may recommend we'd love to learn! Your time and efforts are greatly appreciated!!!

Nitestalker
07-26-2007, 07:20 PM

-Wizard over Sorcerer because INT helps search and charisma doesnt help ranger or rogue in any way.
-Benefit of crowd control makes sense, but Wizards wear robes, so high Dex that Ranger+rogue like fits in to help with AC. Rogue evasion for the same reason. staying back because squishy = using bow = ranger is good and back stab works with ranged weapons too.

the other toon being:

That being decided, if anyone would be kind enough to continue helping by giving their advice about what order to take levels for the various classes, what race the Pally/Cleric should be( thinking human probably...), what stats to start with ( 28 point build), and maybe what feats you might take when --- even what enhancements you may recommend we'd love to learn! Your time and efforts are greatly appreciated!!!

For the Elf I would start Rogue, allow you to build more skills faster, especially since you will want a higher INT which will grant you more skill points. Lvl 1 rogue, with a 18 int, will get about 28 skill points, you'll almost run out of skills before you use them all :D

After that it will be based on what you want to do, if you want to heal sooner, take ranger, if you want to cast spells sooner take wizard.

As for a race suggestionf for your Pally/Cleric, I really don't know, im not much of one for playing healing classes (i.e cleric), and am still learning the ins and outs of Pally's. But if you have it open, I think i would suggest Drow, due tot he Charisma and dex boost meaning you would use less points for those abilities.

Casta
07-26-2007, 07:49 PM
You don't need a rogue for much going pure wiz would get you more cc and more damage faster, most traps you can get around or go threw with resists. If you did what I suggested and the other one of you went paladin or battle cleric would work they could use wands and would have a few heal spells as well as being a tank and paladins can get some good damage, they can smite for 200+.

Arianrhod
07-26-2007, 08:14 PM
Does the skill check to determine success / failure vary as the game unfolds?
i.e. : is it harder to revive someone in end game play than it would be in a Goodblade quest?

And, what heal rating do you consider to be high enough to grant fairly consistant success with the heal kits?

By the way, we also like putting points into heal because it increases how many hit points you regain at the rest shrine...

Looks like you're going with characters who will both be able to use cure wands, so this may not matter, but since you asked:

I think the DC for getting someone back up with a heal check is based on how far down they are, so will only ever vary by 9 points or so (anything after -9 being dead and unable to be healed). However, the DC is ridiculously high (something like 20+however much the person is below 0), and there is no "taking 10" as in PnP, so you tend to get a lot of failures before rolling a success. Even with maxed heal skill at first level most characters will fail several times before succeeding (which is why you need a lot of kits if you're going to use them at all), and if the person is at -5 or lower for the first attempt, chances are they're going to end up dead. This is why most people don't bother with the heal skill - at first level it's dicey at best, and by 5th or so, when the skill might be high enough to be reasonably reliable, most people either can use wands or have decided to let someone else do the healing. Also, healing kits only stack to 10, which makes carrying a lot of them very costly in terms of space.

Nymie_the_Pooh
07-26-2007, 10:58 PM
I recommend at least one taking at least one level of rogue. This isn't necessary by any means. There are some quests that require a rogue to finish them, but not many. The reason to take them though is to make things easier and to get bonus experience. Disabling traps and finding doors brings in more experience for both of you. Take rogue at level one for the extra skill points. If you really want to keep on top of the rogue skills then you will probably want another level later on as well for more skill points. Get the intelligence up to fourteen and you should be able to deal with most rogue type things on normal to hard throughout the game. Some of the endgame content will be close to impossible, but it sounds like that won't be a concern with the duo.

Typically, you will want at least one to be able to deal damage and one to mitigate it. Or you can do a mixture. Two rogues can work. Two clerics. Two bards. Well, you get the idea. Bards, clerics, paladins, and rangers can heal and use heal wands without a use magic device check. If you go with warforged, then wizards and sorcerers have repairs. I recommend you both either be fleshies or warforged so you can both be healed up in the same manner.

Play what looks fun. That is really what matters. Don't be afraid to multi-class. There are some nice benefits for sticking with one class, but there are a lot of times where multi-classing can be used to cover a week point you might experience. You'll learn through playing better than anything that anyone can tell you where your problem areas might lie.

Klattuu
07-26-2007, 11:52 PM
My wife and I play together and the combination that worked well for us was Sorcerer (me) and Cleric (her).

I have to say that if you can swing it with 2 computers and 2 accounts, playing together is definately the way to go.

Pinksock
07-27-2007, 01:33 AM

the other toon being:

For the elf charecter, I am not overly fond of taking those 3 classes together, but this is personal opionion. I feel like you are trying to do to much, which means you will be weak for a long long time as you are spread thinly. That being said, here is what I might aim for going your way:
Starting stats: Str 12, Dex 18, Con 10, Int 16, Wis 8, Cha 8
level 1 rogue, level 2 ranger, level 3 ranger, level 4 rogue, Rest Wizard
(or drop level 3 ranger and just go straigh wizard from there)
This gives you the maximum opening skill points, 2 levels of ranger gives you the free TWF feat (you don't get if you don't take 2 levels of ranger), access to cure wands and a racial enemy (suggest undead though giant are also good later on), 1 more rogue for evasion and the rest wizard. The STR is there as you will need to melee early on and even if you take weapon finesse (recomended) at level 1 you will still hit like a girl ;)
This build however will have you many levels behind on wizard spells. You really will feel weak until level 9 I think

Pally/Cleric is a strong combination. I would be tempted to go as follows:
Choose either Dwarf or Human. Dwarf means you get dwarven axe for free and some strong enhancements that add to all axe damage, to SP and to the toughness feat which I am a fan of. Human gives you an extra feat to start with giving you some flexibility and the extra skills help though you really are only concerned with concentration. My version would be:
Dwarf
Starting stats: Str 16, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 6
Level 1 cleric, Level 2 Palidan, Rest Cleric
You could wait until Cleric level 5 before splashing Pali as that gives you a good array of healing spells, but I prefer to take Pali early to get dwarvern axe early. For feats, I would suggest toughness at level 1, extend at 3 and your choice from there. This gives you solid base of early HP and the 2 enhancements you get as a dwarf for extra SP (cleric enhancement and dwarf racial) keep you covered there.

Anyways - thats my thoughts. Suits my playstyle really, but you might be different. for example, I tend to heal from wands or pots rather than SP (which I use for buffs), so mental toughness doesn't really interest me, but if you want the flexibility or the cheaper costs of mana healing it might be a prefered feat to say toughness for your cleric, in which case you might look at going human instead for that extra feat.... so many choices :)

Have Fun
Pink

Jacqq
07-27-2007, 07:51 AM
Thanks again for the great tips everybody.

The elf toon sounds cool, and the Dwarf as race for the cleric makes sense.
(thanks pinksock :) )

But if only splashing in 1 level with a buncha cleric why not make that 1 level of Barbarian? Rage is cool, hp is higher, still get dwarven axe usage...

Also, do barbarians lose anything ( besides penalty ALL characters get) if they wear full plate?

PranasP
07-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Let me dole out a bit of general advice...

With only two players, you are going to need to know a lot of the tricks and tactics of more expereinced players in order to complete quests as you get out of the harbor and into the rest of the game. You will need to do a lot of the quests with characters of a higher level than what the quest lists for you. That means you will need to repeat quests in order to level up.

It also means you will need to know the quests well to complete some of them, there really isn't much of a way around this. You can learn them by struggling your way through the first time, but you may well often fail at quests your first time or two through them. Knowning when a bunch of monsters are about to jump you and what kinds of spells they cast will make a massive difference in wheter you succede or not. There isn't a lot of room for error in a two person team.

Your best bet is to join a group for a given quest at least once so you can get an overview of it before you tackle it with one or two characters.

Classes
Rogue might seem important.. but it isn't. There are a few quests where if you don't have a rogue you may not be able to complete the quest, but they are few. (this is intentional so you don't HAVE to have X character to do a quest) Firs and foremost you need to kill monsters, second you need to survive fights, and third you need to deal with the quest environment (which is where rogue skill often come in). It is possible to effectively mix Rogue in with other character classes, but its tricky due to the Stats, and such characters are some of the more difficult ones to play because they are fragile and start the game rather weak, something you specificaly wanted to avoid.

I'll try and post some builds in a bit, but here is my general thinking.
#1: Both characters need to contribute to killing mosnters
#2: You want at least one character that can heal
#3: You need to get elemental resistance to survive mid and high levels
#4: You need characters that arn't especialy difficult to play.

This combo has worked very well for me (the bard) and my friend (the cleric) through level 8's so far

mresch
07-27-2007, 03:14 PM
I thought I'd reply as another relative newbie in the same situation. My wife and I play a persistant duo. We play almost exclusively as a duo and we run a Dwarf Paladin and Human Cleric. We do not spot everything nor do we disable traps. However, we both have clickies for detect secret doors and that helps us with some bonus exp. We may be a little gimped at higher levels (we are both 4th, almost 5th now), but we find this team enjoyable and very resilient! Neither build follws a min/max model as we need to generalize rather than specialize and we are not taking any rogue levels... If you are getting a feel for the quests and want to be able to get through most quests without recalling, this is a very good duo.

Nitestalker
07-27-2007, 04:38 PM
Right now my wife and I are duoing bards. So far we have had no issue, but of course were only level 3. We won't be able to find traps, and neither is specifically heal slated, but we currently do enough damage, and wand our way back to full after a battle. Course my wife sometimes jsut starts wanding me, cause well her main is a capped cleric, and she is so used to healing :D

We also ahve another duo group of my lvl 4 barbarian, and lvl 4 cleric, this works well too, however, it is very similar to what others have posted.

FluffyDucky
07-31-2007, 02:35 PM
What do you see the role of the elf in your pair? I see him as primarily a caster with trap-monkey skills and the ability to use wands for backup healing. IMO melee for him would be a last resort. If the only reason for the ranger level is the ability to use cure wands I suggest you look at other possibilities. Bard would give you extra spell points as well as some good buffs. Cleric also gives you spell points and a wider range of healing options. (Does scroll usage depend on caster level or total level? Would a rogue1/cleric1/wizard5 be able to use raise dead scrolls?) Even the paladin aura may be more useful than bow str and favored enemy in a character that will generally not be going melee. (Is your str going to be high enough to make use of bow str?)