PDA

View Full Version : Help with TRIP / Improved TRIP

Kolvarg
07-26-2007, 01:35 PM
I built my new fighter Kalandrik to trip. He has an INT of 13 which is required, but he can't seem to trip many mobs.

What am I doing wrong?
Is there a trick?
Does the mob have to be selected or does it work like an attack on the mob in front of me?
What gives a better chance of tripping? Higher INT? Higher STR? (He is at 18) or something else?Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Gimpster
07-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Does the mob have to be selected or does it work like an attack on the mob in front of me?
It's an attack.

What gives a better chance of tripping? Higher INT? Higher STR? (He is at 18)
When you make an improved trip attempt, the monster must roll d20+strength mod and beat 14+your strength mod. If you have fighter/dwarf trip enhancements or a vertigo weapon, those numbers are added to the DC target.

Kolvarg
07-26-2007, 01:59 PM
It's an attack.

When you make an improved trip attempt, the monster must roll d20+strength mod and beat 14+your strength mod. If you have fighter/dwarf trip enhancements or a vertigo weapon, those numbers are added to the DC target.

Where does the 14 come from? Is that based on anything?

Dkmafia
07-26-2007, 02:45 PM
I built my new fighter Kalandrik to trip. He has an INT of 13 which is required, but he can't seem to trip many mobs.

What am I doing wrong?
Is there a trick?
What gives a better chance of tripping? Higher INT? Higher STR? (He is at 18) or something else?Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

It's based of str. There is some mid lvl's where trip is phenomenal and a few that it just doesnt work. Just bear with, it's worth it in the end.

Dkmafia
07-26-2007, 02:46 PM
Where does the 14 come from? Is that based on anything?

His 14 is base of 10 and Imp trip feat is a +4 - Now u can add your str mod + vertigo weapons, enhancements etc..

Gillyad_Ceril
07-26-2007, 03:42 PM
His 14 is base of 10 and Imp trip feat is a +4 - Now u can add your str mod + vertigo weapons, enhancements etc..

I believe the Fighter class also recieves enhancements that help improve trip as well.

TreknaQudane
07-26-2007, 09:51 PM
Trip has a base DC of 10
I. Trip has a base DC of 14.

You add to your base your Strength Modifier plus any Item (Vertigo) and any enhancement (Fighters Trip or Dwarven Tactics which both stack)

Say a fighter had 28 STR and a Vertigo 4 Weapon with Fighters Trip 2 and Dwarven Tactics 1.

They would have a +9 Str Modifier, +4 Item +3 Enhancement.

Using Improved Trip their DC would be:

14 (base) + 9 (str) + 4 (item) + 3 (enhancement) = 30

Aranticus
07-27-2007, 01:27 AM
this is the formula

the DC = A + B + C + D + E + F

A = 10 (base DC for trip)
B = 4 (improved trip)
C = str mod
D = class enhancement
E = racial enhancement
F = vertigo (weapon enhancement)

i'm not sure but greater hero seems to add to the DC score as well

Shade
07-27-2007, 07:28 AM
i'm not sure but greater hero seems to add to the DC score as well
No it doesn't. But it will help in a way, as a trip is a regular attack done at your current to-hit bonus, it must first beat the monsters AC to work.

Just get your strength up high as you can and pick up all the related enhancements. Vertigo weps wont be good at low lvls, ull be better off with a higher + wep to hit more often.
Pick up some rage potions at house J, they give +2 str, or +1 trip mod.

And note while it works like a regular attack, I find it does become much more reliable if you target the monster. I also think you cant get a flanking bonus unless you have the mob targetting (+1 or +2 to hit from side/back)

Schmackdown
08-03-2007, 11:26 AM
A few other notes- with proper timing, tactical attacks can come later in the attack chain when you have a better chance to hit.

Ogres and trolls are easily tripped for whatever reason IME.

Swapping to a Vertigo weapon just for the trip might be worth it, especially if you have Quick Draw. If you happen to be TWF'ing, Vertigo, Weighted, Shatter, Seeker, etc. grants you the benefit on both weapons.

Tripping a cursed foe should be easier due to the -4 to saves.

After a mob is tripped I believe it makes a Balance check against the Trip DC in order to get up. IME Improved Trip keeps a foe on the ground a *lot* longer than the standard Trip- that may be the extra 4 to the DC, or the mob may get fewer save checks, I really don't know.

Red-named mobs cannot be tripped, stunned, paralyzed, vorpaled or stat damaged, but they can be crippled, cursed, destructed and sundered. I'm not sure about hamstring/tendon slice.

MondoGrunday
08-06-2007, 11:33 AM
im pretty sure combat expertise has to be triggered for the improved trip to work, but i'm not !00% .

Talson
08-06-2007, 12:02 PM
im pretty sure combat expertise has to be triggered for the improved trip to work, but i'm not !00% .

Imp trip will fire without CE actually being on at the time. I often use Imp trip while power attack is on one of my characters.

-Tal

foxfire
08-06-2007, 02:37 PM

This is incorrect information.

MondoGrunday
08-06-2007, 05:12 PM
This is incorrect information.

i play tested it and I stand corrected (i said i wasn't 100%), it doesnt have to be on, but then why is it a pre req, that makes no sense.

foxfire
08-06-2007, 07:52 PM
Because when you gain combat expertise, or become an "expert" in combat maneuvers.. you can learn how to do an advanced technique such as improved trip. Just like how you need power attack (knowledge of striking powerfully) to get cleave or improved sunder.

sukosaki
08-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Trip is fun and with critical accuracy & improved critical slashing (like my lvl 10 fighter) weapon, i can trip and kick it's butt before it even throws a save to get up. Adding a vertigo weapon, which is well worth switching to just for trip, makes it an even more fun attack to use.

Stick with it, use it well, and remember timing is everything!

Good luck with that.

xberto
08-07-2007, 09:06 PM
My mouse wheel has a left and right clickie. I've got Sunder keyed for the left and Trip for the right. I think the trick to successful tripping is having it easily available and use it often.

smyter
08-15-2007, 01:52 PM
I have a trip specced dwarven fighter, an it works out real well. The things to mention:

1. do not go this route on a finesse fighter. STR played too important of a factor in tripping. I played around with a halfling fighter/rogue. Even tho he had the fighter enhancements and a vert weapon, his trip was pathetic. Furthur more, keep rage clickies.. every bit helps!

2. use fighter attack bonus when you use trip or stun in key areas. bottom line, if you miss your swing it won't matter if the save. This also allows you to use a higher vertigo weapon.

3. all the bonuses that you add to your trip also goes toward the mobs reoccuring save. If I put a +10 vertigo weapon on my dwarven (high-STR) fighter that has all the +'s to trip from racial AND class enhancements, I can easily trip the marut on elite in POP, and he never gets up. I can also actually land a trip on a spider, but they generally save pretty quickly. But back to the point.. if you land a trip, you want them to stay down.

4. If you get proficient with tripping, use a 2-hander. If they are down, they cannot fight back ( ac is a non-factor), plus they get a negative to AC... you may as well capitalize on that. Furthermore, if you are more of a tactician and ALSO have stunning blow, 2-H crits are the bomb.