PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: DDO Roadmap/Plan

Dworkin_of_Amber
07-24-2007, 11:02 AM
A suggestion for the Devs:

Given the overhauling changes to the game experienced in the past few months, specifically the Enhancement System overhaul, Human Versatility nerf (and upcoming un-nerf), overpowering of Dwarves, server merges, missed monthly updates, lack of high-level content releases, unfixed UI issues (Who list), balance changes, and on and on... I think that it may be a good idea for the Devs to post a "State of the DDO" address, and outline some of the longer-term plans for the game. There are many of us who have played since Beta, who have now capped multiple toons, played on multiple servers, seen builds come and go, and reached a point of frustration with lack of 'content' and population issues. Also, given the myriad of fundamental changes to the game and apparent recent stagnation in new content (1 new quest in 4.2), that the time is at hand for the DDO Dev Team to open up their roadmap to the player base.

Former unnamed Devs and other Turbine Employees used to give us some hints and tidbits of future developments in either forum posts or inteviews with other game sites, so the precedent exists for this type of an "opening up" already.

What I am asking for, is an overall roadmap of what additions and changes the Devs have planned for the game as a whole. We all know that things get moved around and development schedules will push items off or pull them forward, but an overall idea of where the Dev Team and Program/Product Manager (Lead Designer, whatever you call it in the Game Development world), to give a high-level roadmap for the game.

For Example (some of this is known items, most is pure conjecture):

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With the usual "no dates are fixed" disclaimer:

Summer 2007: Server Merge, Mod 5 (LotD conclusion w/ Raid), new racial ability enhancements (Human Versatility, Halfling Luck), Metamagic overhaul

Fall 2007: Half-Orcs, Half-Elves, Monks, Level Cap Increase to 16, New L16 Content w/ Raid

Winter 2007/2008: UI & Toolbar Overhaul, Gnomes, New Raid, Level 5-8 Content Focus

Spring 2008: Level Cap Increase to 18, Druids, New L16-18 Content w/ Raid

Summer 2008: Level 8-12 Content Focus, New Favor Rewards, XP Overhaul of all Quests

Fall 2008: New City in Stormreach for L15+, Level Cap increases to 20, New L18-20 Content w/ Raid

Winter 2008: Overhaul of Enhancement System, New Races, New Classes, Level 12-15 Content Focus

Spring 2009: Purchased Expansion: Prestige Classes, Epic Classes, Level Cap increases to 24, New Level 20+ Content w/ Raid.

REMINDER: (some of this is known items, most is pure conjecture)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess the request is to give players a basic roadmap of what the overall plan and direction of the game will be, as well as a basic timeline to look forward to future events. We understand that this is not a Fixed In Stone list, but this would give players something to plan for, look forward to, and understand the future direction of the game, and help us believe that the game is worth continuing to pay our $15.00 per month for. Call it a Vision Statement, a High-Level Roadmap, or a Future Plan of the game... but let your customers know what the idea is... we will try our best to not "hold you to that"... but instead take it as a vision that we can share in, understand, and even help contribute ideas to.

One thing that struck me while writing this, was that over the past few months, obviously the focus has been on re-vamping the outdoor areas... but the add-on quests have usually stuck in a basic level-range. So, publish that information. Ok for the Summer 08 Quarter, we will be focusing on Level 8-12 quests to help provide more quest variety while levelling up. I like the idea of more variety while leveling up (but it also needs to be paired with a revamp of XP on almost all existing quests)... especially if I understand that is the overall plan.

Additionally, posting this high-level roadmap, allows us, as players, to give more pertinent feedback. If we know that Spring 2008 will be a 'UI Enhancement Quarter', then we know that the few months before that is the time to give our feedback and change requests so that it can be incorporated into the game. Or other Favor Rewards, or whatever the "Quarterly Focus" is. Also, by doing a "Quarterly Focus" it gives you a 3-month window to release whatever previously outlined content/features are published, and allows the players to understand that "This quarter we are focusing on Re-vamping Outdoor Areas and Level 5-8 quests", so they won't be crying "where is the high-level stuff"... because they know that the following quarter will focus on Top-Level stuff.

Well, I've rambled on too long, I'm sure... but seriously, please think about it. Give us some ideas of the roadmap... Get us onboard WITH you, instead of leaving us in the dark for much of anything other than the next release. Please?

alessi
07-26-2007, 06:47 AM
Very nice suggestion....

But also as addition, i would like to see the game to start implementing stuff apart from only level increase and classes... something like...

* Familiars, animal companions, mounts, followers...
* Assets (like personal houses, guild houses, guild's storehouse and even your own castle!)
* Include Item creation capability in the game
* Counterspells?
* Hey! House Orien Favor! The mail use prices drop when you reach 75 pts... nice!! (thats actually very easy to do at this stage)

etc...

PD: yeh... your own castle is a bit too much by now.

evilhemmes
07-26-2007, 07:40 AM
I like to see new armour skins and sheild skins in the game just to freshen things up a bit armour skins with quivers (with arrows in them) attached so that we are not pulling arrows out of thin air all the time, also vorpals i believe they should not be in the game yet this should be a high lvl item and rare (as rocking horse ****) and if used on a critical miss u should b able to lop off one off your party members head(if he fails saving throw) but they should lop heads off on there crit range(with great power comes great responsibilty). Also capped toons when next lvl increment becomes available dont let the gain be 1 xp make us work for it more so we dont lvl so quickly or put more enhancement levels in between to work for

cheers 8)

evil

iconiclastic
07-26-2007, 08:01 AM
I like to see new armour skins and sheild skins in the game just to freshen things up a bit armour skins with quivers (with arrows in them) attached so that we are not pulling arrows out of thin air all the time, also vorpals i believe they should not be in the game yet this should be a high lvl item and rare (as rocking horse ****) and if used on a critical miss u should b able to lop off one off your party members head(if he fails saving throw) but they should lop heads off on there crit range(with great power comes great responsibilty). Also capped toons when next lvl increment becomes available dont let the gain be 1 xp make us work for it more so we dont lvl so quickly or put more enhancement levels in between to work for

cheers 8)

evil

To add these things would take away available space and set DDO dev's work orders back to the stone age,not to mention causing more hotfixes and costs then its worth,but it would be cool:cool:

Dane_McArdy
07-26-2007, 08:34 AM
They already have given a road map, several months ago, when they got a new Producer.

They should not give a roadmap as detailed as the one you listed, because things change, plans change.

The more detail they give on anything that isn't a month or less away, the more issues it causes, and if they ever decide to change their mind, or something doesn't work out, they will never hear the end of it.

Why invite a headache for themselves.

Dworkin_of_Amber
07-26-2007, 09:06 AM
@Dane - Can you point me to that roadmap, as I don't remember much of anything past info on Mod 4 & "Fall" for new Half-Orc/Elf/Monk.

And I'm really not asking them to pin themselves down, but to give us a broader overview of what they are trying to accomplish. Many have been complaining of the lack of high-level content... well, if the Devs simply stated that Summer 07 they would be focusing on low-to-mid-level content to give more options for the leveling-up process for new toons/players, I think many of us would understand that, and it would help stop some of the whining.

@Others - I'm not trying to start a "new feature discussion" here, but more of a plea for some more "roadmap" information from the Devs. We rarely know anything more than what's on the WDA for this and possibly the next Update/Mod, and the few other things we know (like Half-Races & Monks) have mostly come from the 3rd-party website interviews, some of which have been later confirmed in WDA's (specifically Monks with the Evasion fix)...

But overall, we have no idea what is planned other than some info on Mod 5, and the new Half-Races and Monks for the fall. We know they are looking at Guild upgrades (housing/etc) and something crafting-like... but what else do we *ACTUALLY* know? Not much.