PDA

View Full Version : Wand Question

Balian1957
07-24-2007, 09:41 AM
I have an alt that is a level 3 sorc. I bought CLW wand but everytime I try to heal myself with it it says I "failed to invoke" or something to that effect. What gives? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I did try to find the answer in my DM's guide. Thanks

rimble
07-24-2007, 09:49 AM
I have an alt that is a level 3 sorc. I bought CLW wand but everytime I try to heal myself with it it says I "failed to invoke" or something to that effect. What gives? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I did try to find the answer in my DM's guide. Thanks

Hmm, let's see.

Wands have Caster Levels (you'll see it in the description). Cure Light Wounds is Caster Level 1.

That means, you need to be at least Level 1, and have taken a class that has Cure Light Wounds on it's spell list (Cleric, Paladin, Ranger, Bard) to use the wand without failure.

If you don't have a class that has Cure Light Wounds on it's spell list, then you need to make a check using your Use Magic Device skill versus the skill difficulty displayed in the description of the item.

Right now, for example, you could use a Wand of Repair Light Damage without failure (because it is also Caster Level 1 and on your Sorcerer's spell list).

Because Sorcerer's have very high Charisma, it is frequently a good idea for them to raise their Use Magic Device skill as much as they can. Give it a few levels and you'll be whipping Cure wands without a problem.

blakbyrd
07-24-2007, 10:22 AM
Basically as stated above, the problem is that you are an arcane caster trying to use a divine wand.

The one thing this game seems to really lack in this area is that at vendors and in item descriptions, they dont really state whether a wand/scroll is arcane or divine...you;re just supposed to know. Granted scroll vendors tend to state it, but the actual items do not, and if you dont already know what it is, you have to try it to find out.

Even some divine scrolls state in their description that they contain arcane writing, which would leave one to think it's an arcane spell, when it isnt.

I wish they would add a simple description line for wands and scrolls that simply said "arcane" or "divine".

jkm
07-24-2007, 10:29 AM
a 3rd level sorc will have a max'd UMD of 3 (3) ranks + 5 (6 if you are lucky in ww) = 8

difficulty of a clw is 20 so you would need to roll a 12 to get it to work (20 - 8 = 12).