PDA

View Full Version : An Important Announcement about Server Population

Quarion
07-23-2007, 02:35 PM
We have some very important news for our players regarding Dungeons and Dragons Online™: Stormreach™ (DDO).

Dungeons & Dragons® has always been about having a good time with a party of your friends. With DDO, we bring that experience to life online for the first time, and appreciate all the time you, the players, spend inside Stormreach fulfilling the promise of D&D®.

Over the last few months we have seen an increase in the number of players asking us to make it easier to find groups. Since grouping is such a core part of the DDO experience we looked at a variety of ways to make the grouping process easier for players of all levels. Various options were considered, but the best way to make a change that improves the situation for everyone is to concentrate active players on a smaller number of servers.

To this end we have developed a plan to merge the game’s servers which will greatly improve player experience across the board while also improving the performance of the game by upgrading to a stronger infrastructure on the back end.

We want to thank you for all of your patience as we implement these changes to the game.

New Server Details

We'll be combining the source servers on the left into the destination servers on the right.

 Mabar becomes Argonnessen
 Fernia becomes Ghallanda
 Lhazaar becomes Ghallanda
 Aerenal becomes Sarlona
 Adar becomes Sarlona
 Aundair becomes Khyber
 Riedra becomes Khyber
 Xoriat becomes Thelanis
 Tharashk becomes Thelanis

Before we get started with the complete server merge, we are planning to run a public preview on Risia. On Wednesday, July 25th, we will be bringing Risia up with the Mabar/Argonnessen server merge and we'd love it if you'd hop onto Risia and help us confirm everything is operating as expected. Any players that have created a character on Mabar or Argonnessen before July 23rd are invited to participate in the merge preview.

Once we have completed the merge preview and evaluated the results we expect to begin merging the main servers starting the following week.

The process of merging the servers will be divided into two downtimes.

• Khyber, Aundair, Riedra, Thelanis, Xoriat, and Tharashk will be offline on Thursday, August 2nd, between 2am and 7pm EDT. Around 7pm, Khyber and Thelanis will come back online and contain all of the merged characters and data from their respective servers.

• On Monday, August 6th, Fernia, Ghallanda, Argonnessen, Lhazaar, Adar, Sarlona, Aerenal, and Mabar will be offline from 2am until approximately 7pm EDT. At about 7pm, Argonnessen, Ghallanda and Sarlona will come back online and will contain all of the merged characters and data from their respective servers.

When all service resumes on August 6th, the DDO servers will be: Argonnessen, Ghallanda, Sarlona, Khyber, and Thelanis.

On August 13th, all servers will be offline from approximately 7am until 1pm EDT, for server maintenance and optimization after the merge.

For the latest information on this topic please click here (http://forums.ddo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118)

Tanka
07-23-2007, 02:42 PM
Well, sonofa...

Bladedge
07-23-2007, 02:42 PM
Bye Fernia it was nice knowing you :(

Ciel
07-23-2007, 02:47 PM
*does the ciel happy dance*

Shecky
07-23-2007, 02:48 PM
GAH! More lag! I need a Greater Lag Resistance processor!

Mirta
07-23-2007, 02:48 PM
*waits for the naysayers to come post their "told you so" speeches*

This sucks and blows at the same time.

Tanka
07-23-2007, 02:49 PM
GAH! More lag! I need a Greater Lag Resistance processor!
I hear ya man. I was about to crank down the settings for a higher resolution, now I have to crank them down more.

:(

Coldin
07-23-2007, 02:51 PM
I'm a-scared!

Aeneas
07-23-2007, 02:52 PM
about time. even if it does seem like doom. I can't wait to have a group to join. exciting stuff.

although i must admit, the 3 to 1 is a bit scary. 2 to 1 might have been a bit less jarring.

We welcome you aundairians and riedrans to khyber!

Ciel
07-23-2007, 02:54 PM
sounds like it's gonna rock. Lets just hope there aren't any.... complications with the trancefer.

Krennel
07-23-2007, 02:54 PM
Not so fun to watch DDO circle the drain but this is what happens when you put out a half-a** updates to content. I have been completely bored with the game for the last month and a half and what do I get to keep me interested? New Adventures for level 2-7? are you kidding me? Its the amount of time between utterly useless updates that is driving server populations way down....am I the only one that sees this? Its like me owning three restaurants that serve total **** food and, when I realize that no one is eating at my place anymore, instead of changing the menu, I close two of the restaurants and continue to serve the same **** food! That is pure genius!!!!!!! Ah well...it was fun while it lasted. I'm just sorry to see a good idea get completely wasted...thanks Turbine

Fahkrin
07-23-2007, 02:55 PM
GOOD:
It's too bad that our servers are going over to LOTRO, but at least we'll be able to group up easier.

but wait...

BAD!:
Crud! These are the same tech people that caused massive server crashes after putting in a nice update, during a bonus weekend?

I want a place to store my characters for when all my stuff disappears.

TEK
07-23-2007, 02:56 PM
great, i just got used to pugs on my server, now i have to deal with more from another:( :mad:

Gengulphus
07-23-2007, 02:58 PM
about time. even if it does seem like doom. I can't wait to have a group to join. exciting stuff.

although i must admit, the 3 to 1 is a bit scary. 2 to 1 might have been a bit less jarring.

We welcome you aundairians and riedrans to khyber!

Thanks for the welcome - I'm sure it will all be fine in the end.

But I'm still in shock and I'm saddened - having been on Aundair since headstart.

:(

Elsbet
07-23-2007, 02:59 PM
Performance on Argonnessen is already horrible, even after the last "optimization/hardware upgrade." At least 80% of the time, the Gianthold is too laggy to move easily and a fair chunk of that time, you can't move at all. The thresh hold for creating new instances is way too high. The market place and harbor are nearly as bad.

And the solution to this is to add more users to Argonnessen? Please tell me there is a brand new, HUGE server in a box on someone's desk just waiting to be hooked up for this merge.

LokPik
07-23-2007, 03:00 PM
We have some very important news for our players regarding Dungeons and Dragons Online™: Stormreach™ (DDO).

New Server Details

We'll be combining the source servers on the left into the destination servers on the right.

 Mabar becomes Argonnessen
 Fernia becomes Ghallanda
 Lhazaar becomes Ghallanda
 Aerenal becomes Sarlona
 Adar becomes Sarlona
 Aundair becomes Khyber
 Riedra becomes Khyber
 Xoriat becomes Thelanis
 Tharashk becomes ThelanisFor the latest information on this topic please click here (http://forums.ddo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118)

I'm courious to know what will happen if a person has the max number of characters on the two servers being merged? Does that mean the total number of characters allowed per account be increased??

WestiesMA
07-23-2007, 03:01 PM
Why are you nuking Adar, the second most populous server?

Riekan
So what happens if you already had maxed characters on one server and then started a few characters on one of the servers that will be merged together? Are they now allowing more than 7 character slots? For everyone? Just for the people who have characters on other servers? Will characters be lost?

Renegade66
If you have 8 players on Xoriat Tharask and Thelanas, how many will disappear once the server merge takes place?

Lorien_the_First_One
07-23-2007, 03:02 PM
So what happens if you already had maxed characters on one server and then started a few characters on one of the servers that will be merged together? Are they now allowing more than 7 character slots? For everyone? Just for the people who have characters on other servers? Will characters be lost?

Check out the Forum they set up to discuss this, there is a FAQ page that says you will lose nothing (yes, you could have 14 chars) and it also gives a lot more details.

Shadow_Flayer
07-23-2007, 03:03 PM
If you have 8 players on Xoriat Tharask and Thelanas, how many will disappear once the server merge takes place?

There is a FAQ in the Server Merge thread. It tells you that you will keep ALL characters you have from the servers merged, but not be allowed to create any new ones until you get below the highest 'level' of characters you were allowed on your 'best' server.

Standpoint
07-23-2007, 03:03 PM
Yay! I may be part of the vocal minority, but I am very glad that this is being done.

To the devs: There is likely plenty of people who will be excited about this, and many may not post on the forums here. Don't let the posts give you an overall impression of the attitude about the server merges.

Borcan
07-23-2007, 03:05 PM
Nevermind the Forum trolls Turbine, I for one stand up and applaud you for making this move. I'm very pleased to see that you guys are making grouping so much easier. You're absolutly 100% correct that grouping is the core thing which makes playing DDO fun. Take a bow Turbine. Very well done :D

Renegade66
07-23-2007, 03:10 PM
Not particularly looking forward to losing our guild name and having my characters renamed to things like Renegade-Xoriat. I'm sure there was no clean way to do it though.

Symar-FangofLloth
07-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Curses! How dare you kill Xoriat! I demand Thelanis be merged to Xoriat instead! :D

Yvonne_Blacksword
07-23-2007, 03:28 PM
There are a lot of people who play this game who never visit he forums...and rely on the idol chatter of us forum addicts to shovel them maneur...

/runs to store
/looks at empty shelves where shovels used to be
/looks down at hands...

This is gonna take some work.

any word on how a wayward bros who travel back heres seldom are gonna get wind of this?

they might get lost.

In_Like_Flynn
07-23-2007, 03:30 PM
Curses! How dare you kill Xoriat! I demand Thelanis be merged to Xoriat instead! :DI, for one, am glad to see Xoriat disappear. It smelled like cheese.

Ciel
07-23-2007, 03:33 PM
I can't wait to join my fellow DDO lovers in Sarlona.

Axtorus
07-23-2007, 03:45 PM
How are we to expect the servers not to crash under this merger, when even at lower population count if new good content hits it crashes every single time. Seem to me it's going to be more likely to laggy and crash and just be less of a enjoyable game.

uhgungawa
07-23-2007, 03:53 PM
first off, let me say that i'm 110% behind a merger. there was too many servers from the start. But if this works, and brings in more people is the a plan if there has to be servers re added ?

and not to pick on kyber. but that server is know for having bad performance issues. was it the best course of action t use it as a server?

thisis hands down the best game out there. lets just hopes that this makes it all that much better

tekn0mage
07-23-2007, 03:55 PM
I am convinced this is a good idea. Now I want every one of you that reads this thread to understand that I am glad this is happening. They listened, they pondered, they listened some more, and they are acting on it. Thank you Turbine.

With gratitude.

Mirta
07-23-2007, 04:20 PM
Curses! How dare you kill Xoriat! I demand Thelanis be merged to Xoriat instead! :D

Considering Tharashk is getting merged into Thelanis as well I have to protest! Tharashk is by far the most respectable and beautiful name for a server. Thelanis and Xoriat are just bleh.

liamfrancais
07-23-2007, 04:31 PM
:( for adar

Solstice
07-23-2007, 04:41 PM
/afraid

about lag
about new pugs
about my character's name
about a lot of stuffs

~Krif
07-23-2007, 04:46 PM
My characters are on Mabar and Argonessen, so I'll be locked out of generating new ones once I finally get to 1750 favor. Is there any way to move them to a different server now before the convergence?

liamfrancais
07-23-2007, 04:49 PM
Oh and on a side note I guess there are times it is hard to find a group and whatever but here is an Idea "ADVERTISE" I cannot tell you the last time I actually saw the game on the shelf at a store ie: electronics stores, game stores, any kind of store now I dont go around looking for DDO in stores just for fun but when I am in a store I alway browse the game section. I think it would be cool if maybe it could be set up that so at one of nationwide stores there was a day where some players who volunteered came into store and played so others could see the game there are many things that could be done to get more players (G4) besides offering a free trial to people who stumble across the site. Venting ended.

Arnya
07-23-2007, 05:03 PM
Please Turbine, keep the eberron license and the game engine!!!!

This is THE BEST representation of an rpg to real-time EVER!!!

I LOVE the camera options

I LOVE the fast pace

I LOVE the UI/Toolbars

I LOVE the graphics

I LOVE the spells and their effects

I LOVE the town/instance thing ya got going

I LOVE the N/H/E and favour systems

I LOVE the people I meet

I LOVE ADAR!!! (damn)

Please! This is the best game ever!!! Tell us how much we have to sub per month to keep it open!!! We will pay!!!

!!!!!!!!!! <-- and I had some left over...

Rathji
07-23-2007, 05:16 PM
GOOD:
It's too bad that our servers are going over to LOTRO, but at least we'll be able to group up easier.

but wait...

BAD!:
Crud! These are the same tech people that caused massive server crashes after putting in a nice update, during a bonus weekend?

I want a place to store my characters for when all my stuff disappears.

Ditto!

smatt
07-23-2007, 05:25 PM
No worries..
:)

Cidolfas
07-23-2007, 05:51 PM
Hmmm, nobody? Nobody? Well, guess I'll be the first.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!!

Aereana
07-23-2007, 05:58 PM
What is this going to do to people who

A: have toons on both servers?

B: have the same name as someone else on any of these merging servers?

Aramaeus
07-23-2007, 06:03 PM
yea I for one am not buying it. I would more likely guess its influenced by dwindling accounts, more people leaving than coming etc etc. Since I once made a character on khyber I guess I can mosey over before the merge and delete him so my name is cool. Heh. I wouldnt much like running around named Draek-aundair :P

I just hope we are not losing hardware to LOTRO. Turbine could have made a game more opposite to DDO if they tried (which they may have tried)

Clawstorm
07-23-2007, 06:10 PM
You did this with Asheron's Call2, released an expansion, then shut the game down. Are we in danger of having our game shut down? I'm not DOOM crying, I'm asking a valid question, being an original player from AC2 who played on the last day of that game...

...and still want ya to start-er up again. =)

JayDubya
07-23-2007, 06:12 PM
I am optimistic - I think this will help make the game easier for new players, which is the key to growth.

I think that 5 is a good number for servers. We'll see how it goes.

Hordo
07-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Ah, goodbye to my Aundair home and hello to Khyber...and all the extra folks that will be there...along with all the extra lag from all the other junk going on and making the hamsters on the wheel powering my computer die of cardiac arrest. Well, you all have fun...I'll still be loading in by the time the second server shutdown for maintenance happens.

Letum_Telum
07-23-2007, 06:54 PM
Hum...They must have made a mistake....since Tharashk is the best server, it should only make sense to merge the other two servers, whatever there names are, to ours. Oh well...I will still call it Tharashk for that is what it is :P

.....at least we know that most of the people that have held on this long are true DDO fans and that should mean better grouping :) I like groupies :)

Oh...don't forget to take screen shots of all your stuff...you will need to have proof that you actually had it..........before it dissapears....not that it will.....just good to be cautious. :P

Serpent
07-23-2007, 07:16 PM
I will say this once, Riedra isn't going to Khyber or what not. they are merging and becoming one server not the other way around, So I say to those in Khyber welcome to Riedra. If it is viewed any other way I can almost predict the feuds that will evolve.

That said the merger will be good as long as names can stay the same.

Pheanre
07-23-2007, 08:16 PM
First off just to set the record straight I am against the merge in the first place but seeing as I cant do anything about that I would like to make the transfer a little easier and the really big thing that is bugging me. Is the fact that off the 3 servers getting merged why does one get to keep its name and the other 2 lose their name. I mean what was even the reasoning behind which server got to keep its name. Any way I look at it seems random and biased. Why can't we do what codemasters did and change the names to something different? I know that I have a lot of server pride and guild pride and to take away one of them and possibly both of them would really really kill this game for me.

Drider
07-23-2007, 08:20 PM
Meh...

Those are my thoughts summed up.

Although I don't mind really the server merge. If I lose my names I'll be kinda po'd, but I'd get over it. I understand it's better for the game overall though, less servers = less overhead means the game gets some increased longevity. I just hope that this all doesn't mess around any more with the content updates. Content is a serious priority at this point.

cdbd3rd
07-23-2007, 08:24 PM
I am optimistic - I think this will help make the game easier for new players, which is the key to growth.

I think that 5 is a good number for servers. We'll see how it goes.

The key to growth is advertising!

I do look for DDO ads when I'm browsing shops &/or magazines. I rarely find them. LOTRO, on the other hand, has/had a prime spot on Yahoo ...:(

Aereana
07-23-2007, 08:48 PM
I have more than a few things that bother me, the more I continue to think about this ... as well as the more I hear from other players that are good friends of mine.

I'm the only one who's used Iilara on most games, even though there is an "Iilaria" running around on Riedra somewhere. But I'll be the first to admit that Nerwen (my Argonnessen rogue) and Suiren (my second cleric here) both have the name on other servers. And they aren't mine.

And what of those who - like a fellow guildie of mine - have all their character slots full? I've never made a toon on Khyber (Okay, saying never is a lie, but he's been erased for a LONG time), so the merge won't affect me directly. But I DO have full character slots, and I can see how this is going to bother some.

If I had to lose Iilara because the game got to choose which toons were deleted when the merge happens and I - theoretically - had too many toons built on both, I'd be livid! She's the one I've spent the most time on. And I doubt that if there are other toons on other servers that just because they aren't played as often, they aren't held in as high regard.

We've put a lot of work into making our toons into what they are. And they are - in a sense that some might call far too attached - an extension of ourselves. They have the abilities we worked so very hard for them to have. The IDENTITIES we worked on. My example again is Iilara: I know that she's FAR from the best cleric on the server, and that she's my least brilliantly built toon, as I didn't know what I was doing when I made her and she's the game's build. But I'll never erase her. I've put too many hours into making her what she is. And I've done the same with my others. To lose something you've put so much work into is NOT a desirable event.

Why don't they just create more servers? I know it'd probably be more difficult for them than just moving things or combining them, but they're going to have quite a few complaints about this. Or maybe a server that is specifically for those of you who prefer serious, hard-core group-based gaming.

As for the trying to get into a group with lowbies ... yeah, it's difficult. It's difficult on many of the servers. But isn't Riedra the smallest? Or at least ONE of the smallest? It's going to be hard to find groups, when you're comparing them to the other, larger quantities of players. I've pretty much levelled most of my toons (before rerolling them as 32 pointers) to level 9 all on my own. Yes, it's repeating lots of quests until you've scraped the last bit of XP from them ... but it's doable.

This is also going to bring the lag to a whole new level. I am NOT looking forward to that at all.

I guess - in a nuttshell - I'm saying I'm not pleased with this, and I can see how others won't be. To my way of thinking, this is a dumb and ballsy move by Turbine to try and fix things that really are beyond their control.

stryder65
07-23-2007, 08:50 PM
Thanks to all you guys that make this possible. This game is a lot of fun and I for one hope this plan works out. I like the party aspect of this game and rarely stick with "clan only" runs because all the cool people that I meet. Even some of the biggest whiners on this game are a lot nicer than some of the peolple I have to deal with daily. Once again thanks.:)

Donpardoe lev 14 dwarf fighter
Masonman lev 10 dwarf pally
Velcro lev 7 dwarf rogue
Allterboy lev 6 Halfling rogue

Aramaeus
07-23-2007, 08:57 PM
If I had to lose Iilara because the game got to choose which toons were deleted when the merge happens and I - theoretically - had too many toons built on both, I'd be livid!

Read the faq, if you go over the max character slots you will get to keep your characters. If you ever want to create another you will have to delete your characters until you are under the max. (which is supposed to be 7 :P)

Aereana
07-23-2007, 08:59 PM
Read the faq, if you go over the max character slots you will get to keep your characters. If you ever want to create another you will have to delete your characters until you are under the max. (which is supposed to be 7 :P)

I actually have eight character slots on Riedra. ;)

Not entirely sure how, but even with all seven filled ... I have eight possible to make. I won't do that, though.

You weren't understanding where I was going, I don't think. But thanks for the link.

Taur
07-23-2007, 09:14 PM
Why are you nuking Adar, the second most populous server?

my guess is because Adar is one of, if not THE, original beta server and even after all of the supposed 'hardware upgrades' it's still running on recycled AC2 hardware.

Taur
07-23-2007, 09:23 PM
I actually have eight character slots on Riedra. ;)

Not entirely sure how, but even with all seven filled ... I have eight possible to make. I won't do that, though.

You weren't understanding where I was going, I don't think. But thanks for the link.

me thinks it's a base of 6 character slots. you get one extra for drow and i believe one extra for each toon at 1750 favor. I have 8 32 point toons and a drow on my main account.

twix
07-23-2007, 09:37 PM
wow server merges good idea!! lets make it more laggy then it is b4 we fix the problem of lag great idea!! im sick of updates and other **** being put in b4 u perfect the lagissues of old. cmon turbine i love improvements but u dont fix lag issues and such and now u want to combine servers? fix things b4 u put new things in cuz then ur gonna have even more to fix .like the lfm page lol y dont u fix that ?

Proud Officer of the Flaming Fists an Argonesson Guild
Stoneblood lvl 14 barb
Stoneheal lvl 13 cleric
Stoneblades lvl 9 fighter
Stonemage confused lvl 6 wizzie

Arj
07-23-2007, 09:53 PM
Great idea Turbine! Ignore the naysayers, this will only make a great game greater.

To all Aundairians and Riedrians, welcome to Khyber :D

zombie_steve
07-23-2007, 10:24 PM
I was scared when i seen the pop up. Figured it was a goodbye DDO message but thank god it wasn't. As a Mabarian this is kidna frustrating but I am interested ins eeing how it goes and running with the Argo's

Hvymetal
07-23-2007, 10:39 PM
I will say this once, Riedra isn't going to Khyber or what not. they are merging and becoming one server not the other way around, So I say to those in Khyber welcome to Riedra. If it is viewed any other way I can almost predict the feuds that will evolve.

That said the merger will be good as long as names can stay the same.
Welcome to Khyber:)

SIlverlegolas1
07-23-2007, 11:39 PM
If we have to change our names im going to be very upset! We all know each other and know each other by our own names!!

Brumby
07-24-2007, 01:52 AM
If you are going to do away with some servers why not rename the new merged servers? This way it will feel like we are all being transferred to a new place. Right now it kind of feels like I'm being sent to someone else's home.

Emili
07-24-2007, 04:16 AM
If you are going to do away with some servers why not rename the new merged servers? This way it will feel like we are all being transferred to a new place. Right now it kind of feels like I'm being sent to someone else's home.

Yes it feels very much like that... I love Riedra as even at it's peek population I knew so many people...

When you think about it ... if they really wanted to improve the grouping problems you'd think they'd do it by attracting more players, rather than downsizing.

Tonight, as I played I looked at my friends list and realized how many people I've met in this game and who has left. It literally left me begiled as they all left citing reasons of slow content, infrustructure, lack of support or the new MOORPG or whatever... on one of my list maybe 30 of 200> seem to show up... Not long ago a friend who had not logged in for months suddenly appeared - was happy to see her, she played for another month and left. Should she ever come back again - doubt I'd run into her as Riedra will be nomore so she probably would never bother to search for the toons on her account.

So then coming back in line of thought this comes to me with a bitter taste as it seems instead of expecting to fill up population by new accounts they're regressing and settling for the accounts they still have and not looking to expand but consolidate with the hopes of not losing what they have.

Uska
07-24-2007, 08:26 AM

I agree will miss good old Riedra

Valzoric
07-24-2007, 09:43 AM
I have commented on this in another thread, but I will comment here too. I have had more time to think about this merge. This is a double edged sword, on one side there is the positives: Larger server populations, better grouping potentials, merging of not just people but ideas/personalities/etc. On the other side, you have the negative: Lag, Possible Name/Guild name changes, and what it means in the long run of the game.

A lot of people are trying to point which way this server merge will take the game, but I think we need to look at it a different way. Those of us who are still here, are here for a reason. Yes we *****, we moan and we complain, but deep down we like to play this game, otherwise we wouldn't be here. So I say, no matter what happens, let us continue to play, let us continue to enjoy it. IF this is the writing on the wall and this game is going down, well I for one am going down with the ship.

Things could be done better: More classes, more advertising, etc. And maybe we have been pushed to the side for the LOTR. This is still D&D, not in a pure form, but it's still D&D. As long as the servers are powered on, and there is even one other person to group with, I'm going to play. Why? Because I love D&D, and even in this version, it's still better than 95% of the other **** that tries to be D&D.

Goodbye Xoriat....I will miss you, you have been my only home.

Hello to those who will be on my new home, I look forward to healing you.

Cupcake
07-24-2007, 09:45 AM
I would like to welcome those coming to Argonnessen. It is a pretty cool server.

I do wish Tharashk had been picked as the base server and Lhazaar LOL.

Many people have begged for a server merge, now that its a reality, a lot of those people are complaining about it.

I don't relish idea of running around with cuppcake-tharashk over my head LOL but hey, as long as I can keep my name I am cool with it.

Traven
07-24-2007, 09:59 AM
If we have to change our names im going to be very upset! We all know each other and know each other by our own names!!

why can't our last names be taken into account? my newest character's name is andre, and i'm sure there are other's with the same name on other servers but how many are named andre linoge?

Cupcake
07-24-2007, 10:12 AM
I have a question I am not sure was asked. If it was, I apologize.

On Lhazaar, I have my 1750 favor and several 32 pt builds.

If Lhazaar is merging over to Ghallanda, do you retain that favor?

Gengulphus
07-24-2007, 10:13 AM
Great idea Turbine! Ignore the naysayers, this will only make a great game greater.

To all Aundairians and Riedrians, welcome to Khyber :D

Thank you.

After reading the many posts on the merge, I'm starting to feel a little more positive about everything. I know our guild is looking forward to the move. We will certainly miss Aundair - which has been our only home.

Hey, a few months (a year?) ago, Khyber became infamous for having the most lag problems - is that still the case? I logged on the other day and it seemed just fine...

Also, I for one, won't mind having any of my names with a "-Aundair" attached to it. It will be a source of pride about my original server.

Hendrik
07-24-2007, 10:16 AM
I have a question I am not sure was asked. If it was, I apologize.

On Lhazaar, I have my 1750 favor and several 32 pt builds.

If Lhazaar is merging over to Ghallanda, do you retain that favor?

Yes Cupcake, retain Favor....

Cupcake
07-24-2007, 10:21 AM
Yes Cupcake, retain Favor....

Tanks. Thats something to look forward to then.

Hendrik
07-24-2007, 10:42 AM
Tanks. Thats something to look forward to then.

Always here to help my favorite chef!

:D

pcgammerm
07-24-2007, 10:49 AM
i'm just curious what happens if you have chars on both of the servers. do you keep them all? if i had to guess we keep them, but just wondering the offical story.

also should we take everything out of the ah and the bank before the merge, or will those be transfered too?

Any players that have created a character on Mabar or Argonnessen before July 23rd are invited to participate in the merge preview.

one last thing, does this mean you will use the same char info for the preview as the actual merge data? of so then there is no point in any raids till after the merge. as well as anything that make important changes to your inventory.

Everart67
07-24-2007, 11:13 AM
I don’t see this as a good thing at all! It’s more about giving the whiners what they want and people that love the game get the SHAFT!!!

Riedra needs to live!!!

Anarkius
07-24-2007, 12:45 PM
Well, this is weird. I just switched from Fernia to Aundair about a month ago. Now I am being moved to Khyber. Darn this emminent domain!!! Next I'll be given a working Visa on Khyber to complete adventures. What does this all mean??

Blast and double blast!! I hope all my toons are safe, not to mention their high end level 2-7 loot. LMAO :D Just don't lose my muckbanes - I dont think I can run Durk's AGAIN!!

Bobbyd
07-24-2007, 01:14 PM
Actually this is way better... For a small fee just transfer your favor toons to any other server and you instanly have 32 point toons. So Its easier to change servers and you dont loose your gear.

Emili
07-24-2007, 05:03 PM
Actually this is way better... For a small fee just transfer your favor toons to any other server and you instanly have 32 point toons. So Its easier to change servers and you dont loose your gear.

But why? I for one love Riedra, I never have a probem grouping and people here know my toons by their names... the minute I log in I get invites (albeit I put them off often). However, I never asked for a server merge, I never asked for my names to possibly change, yet because some complain about not being able to group I lose the comfort and identy I had for over a year?

Zer0AcmE
07-24-2007, 06:27 PM
I for one would like a dev to speakup and let us know what will happen if there is name conflict. I have been playing my main character Acme since the first month DDO launched. I already checked the server Sarlona that I am being forced to merge with and the name Acme has already been taken. I have already told my guildys I will quit DDO if I am forced to change my name. So I would just like to know if i should just cancel my account now or is Turbine gonna try to speeze another month out of me by making me wait until the 6th...?

Wheelz
07-24-2007, 07:08 PM
Can't wait for the mergers to happen (as long as the hardware upgrades are enough of course).

For all those still asking the same old questions about Toon names and max number of Toons, read the FAQ here (http://forums.ddo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118)

I'm looking forward to meeting all the others on the new Khyber...

MeNorel
07-25-2007, 09:11 AM
If it better's the game I am all for it. If I loose one cure wand, or one arrow from the merge that after 3 attempts does not get rectified, I will be gone never to fatten Turbine's coffers agian no matter what kewl licence they get for new content.:cool:

Shaamis
07-25-2007, 12:48 PM
If I loose one cure wand, or one arrow from the merge that after 3 attempts does not get rectified, I will be gone never to fatten Turbine's coffers agian no matter what kewl licence they get for new content.:cool:

I believe this statement to be without merit, and made just for theatrics and drama.

While I understand your frustration at Turbine's Customer Support, you lose a lot of credit with this overblown statement.

You are saying that because of a level of ineptness, and or incompetance, you are willing to walk away from DDO.

But I guaranty if Turbine made an equally inept mistake, but in your favor, you wouldn't leave.

You have to take the good with the bad, you can't pick and choose.

tekn0mage
07-25-2007, 01:40 PM
You have to take the good with the bad, you can't pick and choose.

Turbine isn't like dealing with a mother-in-law. You DO get to pick and choose my man. Running a business in America does demand a certain amount of flexibility on the part of the provider. It's just how things are.

Now move to a foreign country, and you may have a case. Things are much different abroad as far as being happy with whatever service you receive.

Gillyad_Ceril
07-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Can't wait for the mergers to happen (as long as the hardware upgrades are enough of course).

I'm looking forward to meeting all the others on the new Khyber...

I could not say it any better...

Well I could, but I am to lazy to try. :eek: :D

MrRotten
07-25-2007, 03:56 PM
To get back on track a little, THE MERGER..

I have attempted to read every reply in this THREAD to try and get all the information and the answers to some of my questsions, and also to see if anyone else made any of the suggestions that I have.

So here goes...

Questions:
1.) What does turbine plan to do with identical namming issues with the servers involved with merging with the other servers?
2.) What does turbine plan to do with the issue of people having created lets say max ammount of toons on the servers merging with the other servers?
3.) With the mergers, and the fact that the servers are going to be drastically reduced to a handful. Will performance on the servers get worse due to the influx of a ton of new people? Or will the performance on the servers get better due to the fact there is only a handful of servers now?
4.) What is turbines stance on dealing with customers that are losing their server due to it merging to another? Afterall, some of those customers may have a very very picky preferance is to why they chose that particular server and is now going bye bye?

Suggestisons:
1.) With the issues of possable identical namming happening with the servers merging.. I would think that maybe it would work the same as risa? That you would carry a tag attatched to your name saying what server you came from. Then maybe giving those people notices and possable free name changes, or carry the server tag as apart of their name??
2.) I think I read somewhere that Turbine was planning to give us 14 toon slots or something to accomodate any toons that were created on a server thats merging to new server?? Well what if lets say I haven't created any toons on the server thats merging over to a server where I created a bunch? Is everyone going to get new toon slots? Or is it just going to accomodate the extra toons?? I for one don't think its fair that someone could theoretically have 14 toons from merging 7 into 7.. I think we all should be alloted the same ammount of extra slots that is needed to accomodate the merger?
4.) To deal with upset customers that they may not like the server they are merging to and being they weren't given a choice to move there.. Maybe do something like what WoW does when they merge servers or make new ones. For a full week or so, Turbine can offfer free account transfers so the customer can move to a server they prefer since losing the server they have been acustom to?

I would like a DEV or someone that really knows whats going on with this to answer my questions.. I came up with possable scenario suggestions to answer my questions in assuming that maybe some of these issues haven't come up yet and been discussed or even posted to inform the rest of us?

Thanks

Hambo
07-25-2007, 04:34 PM
To get back on track a little, THE MERGER..

I have attempted to read every reply in this THREAD to try and get all the information and the answers to some of my questsions, and also to see if anyone else made any of the suggestions that I have.

So here goes...

Questions:
1.) What does turbine plan to do with identical namming issues with the servers involved with merging with the other servers?
2.) What does turbine plan to do with the issue of people having created lets say max ammount of toons on the servers merging with the other servers?
3.) With the mergers, and the fact that the servers are going to be drastically reduced to a handful. Will performance on the servers get worse due to the influx of a ton of new people? Or will the performance on the servers get better due to the fact there is only a handful of servers now?
4.) What is turbines stance on dealing with customers that are losing their server due to it merging to another? Afterall, some of those customers may have a very very picky preferance is to why they chose that particular server and is now going bye bye?

Suggestisons:
1.) With the issues of possable identical namming happening with the servers merging.. I would think that maybe it would work the same as risa? That you would carry a tag attatched to your name saying what server you came from. Then maybe giving those people notices and possable free name changes, or carry the server tag as apart of their name??
2.) I think I read somewhere that Turbine was planning to give us 14 toon slots or something to accomodate any toons that were created on a server thats merging to new server?? Well what if lets say I haven't created any toons on the server thats merging over to a server where I created a bunch? Is everyone going to get new toon slots? Or is it just going to accomodate the extra toons?? I for one don't think its fair that someone could theoretically have 14 toons from merging 7 into 7.. I think we all should be alloted the same ammount of extra slots that is needed to accomodate the merger?
4.) To deal with upset customers that they may not like the server they are merging to and being they weren't given a choice to move there.. Maybe do something like what WoW does when they merge servers or make new ones. For a full week or so, Turbine can offfer free account transfers so the customer can move to a server they prefer since losing the server they have been acustom to?

I would like a DEV or someone that really knows whats going on with this to answer my questions.. I came up with possable scenario suggestions to answer my questions in assuming that maybe some of these issues haven't come up yet and been discussed or even posted to inform the rest of us?

Thanks

Merge FAQs direct from the devs:
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=114404

Most of your questions are answered there.

In short...

Duplicate names will be determined by oldest/most recently logged on keeping the name, with duplicates in the form (altname-Server) without parens. All renamed duplicates will get a token for a free namechange. Same goes for duplicate guild names.

The existing number of slots remain in force. If you have the maximum on all merging servers (21 total worst case, unless you used the old exploit) you will keep all alts, but will not be able to create any new ones until you delete down below the 7 normal limit. Think of it as a sports team having to cut the roster down to size early in the season before getting new players. A caveat to this is that in some cases 14 alts will need to be deleted before you can build a Monk this fall, unless you do so on another server.

Server performance is an unknown without knowing if a hardware reconfig is planned. For all we know Monday's downtime may be prep for a reconfig, but that is pure guesswork.

There is no real world difference between servers. Anyone hooked on the name of the server they play on needs to take a loooong break from the game. :rolleyes:

Again, to get the answers straight from the Kobold's mouth, read:

edgelett
07-25-2007, 08:25 PM
'oh waaaaaaaaah I don't want to merge.'

Seriously guys, why do some people have to take everything Turbine do & turn it into something to complain about!

'i don't like 1750 favour'
'i don't like drow'
'why don't I have a +10 vorpal toothpick'
'i want an oompa loompa now daddy'

If Turbine announced they were going to spend a further 25 million on DDO, you'd complain that it's no 30 million.

How about you actually TRY THE MERGER before you complain about it!!!
IF there is lag, and IF you lose PC's, then you might have something to whinge about.

But I for one am EXCITED about this, and welcome those of you from other servers to Khyber!

Netah
07-25-2007, 09:03 PM
For the record, I went to Risia to check the Mabar-Argonnessen test merge. My main server is Mabar.

I saw a few name changes that had to happen, one was one of my characters, and it really wasn't bad. The only thing is that there are no name change tokens as mentioned in the FAQ, just the new command available to change the name once:

/changename <newnamegoeshere>.

It was painless.

There seemed to be no glitches - for me. All my characters, their equipment, inventories, bank stuff, cash... all were fine, and believe me, I'm a packrat and have a lot of stuff.

Someone said their bane weapons lost all their banes, but that has been an issue on Risia for some time, and apparently is sporadic. My bane weapons were fine.

There were groups to be had.

I even made a new friend there, from Argonnessen, already.

My lag was minimal. I stayed on for about 2 hours total, and watched and waited as population increased. I didn't experience any problems. I did not go out questing or grouping, though, but overall I didn't experience any real issues.

I haven't heard of any quest issues, thus far.

If the live mergers go as this test merger has, I don't believe that we'll have any problems more than what we had prior as far as bugs. At least, that is my opinion at this time. Right now, all appears right in the world, and the only loss is of Mabar. I'll live.

pastor_dex
07-25-2007, 09:40 PM
If Turbine announced they were going to spend a further 25 million on DDO, you'd complain that it's no 30 million.

We would complain that we were evidently paying too much :)

Anarkius
07-26-2007, 08:18 AM
'oh waaaaaaaaah I don't want to merge.'

Seriously guys, why do some people have to take everything Turbine do & turn it into something to complain about!

'i don't like 1750 favour'
'i don't like drow'
'why don't I have a +10 vorpal toothpick'
'i want an oompa loompa now daddy'

How about you actually TRY THE MERGER before you complain about it!!!
IF there is lag, and IF you lose PC's, then you might have something to whinge about.

But I for one am EXCITED about this, and welcome those of you from other servers to Khyber!

Good point Edgelett :) . I for one am looking forward to the merger. I am just glad that turbine did some "housecleaning" during the downtime the other day it allowed me to get my original toon name back on Aundair, if it stays great, if not - I'll find something else.

MrRotten
07-26-2007, 12:34 PM
Merge FAQs direct from the devs:
There is no real world difference between servers. Anyone hooked on the name of the server they play on needs to take a loooong break from the game. :rolleyes:

Again, to get the answers straight from the Kobold's mouth, read:

Hey thanks, that link really helped and I appreciate it.

Yea, I for one don't personally care.. granted i'm on Sarlona and we're not changing. If I was told were were merging I wouldn't care that i'm losing my server. I guess the thing that concerns me is that on Sarlona things are very peaceful and polite for the most part. I go and read some of the posts about this merger, and you got alot of people taking this game way to seriously and getting very butt hurt cuz they have to change. It concerns me that the peacefulness and politeness is going to go down the tubes, and Sarlona is going to be filled with a **** load of ungrateful, whiney, rude little kids or something. I for one am welcoming the merger, and plan to help those that are merging with favor and welcome them all with open arms. Although i'm also concerned that somehow Turbine may mess things up a bit. It seems they got a good plan going tho and maybe things will go off without a hitch. These types of things tho hardly ever go off without some sort of issues. But anyways, thanks for the info.. Appreciate it!

For the record, I went to Risia to check the Mabar-Argonnessen test merge. My main server is Mabar.

I saw a few name changes that had to happen, one was one of my characters, and it really wasn't bad. The only thing is that there are no name change tokens as mentioned in the FAQ, just the new command available to change the name once:

/changename <newnamegoeshere>.

It was painless.

There seemed to be no glitches - for me. All my characters, their equipment, inventories, bank stuff, cash... all were fine, and believe me, I'm a packrat and have a lot of stuff.

Someone said their bane weapons lost all their banes, but that has been an issue on Risia for some time, and apparently is sporadic. My bane weapons were fine.

There were groups to be had.

I even made a new friend there, from Argonnessen, already.

My lag was minimal. I stayed on for about 2 hours total, and watched and waited as population increased. I didn't experience any problems. I did not go out questing or grouping, though, but overall I didn't experience any real issues.

I haven't heard of any quest issues, thus far.

If the live mergers go as this test merger has, I don't believe that we'll have any problems more than what we had prior as far as bugs. At least, that is my opinion at this time. Right now, all appears right in the world, and the only loss is of Mabar. I'll live.

Thats awesome, puts my mind at ease a little bit.. I'm on Sarlona and aren't the one having to move, but as I said in a diff post. The server is very mature and for the most part we are all very kind and polite to each other. So I just hope that everything goes well, theres no issues, so that it doesn't get filled with a ton of complaining and annoying, whiney people. After all, its just a merger, all their friends are going with them, now they can make many more friends. Its not a big whoop..

But yea, thanks for sharing your expierance with the merger. Definatly good to know that things are going smooth on the tests.

Shaamis
07-27-2007, 12:51 PM
Turbine isn't like dealing with a mother-in-law. You DO get to pick and choose my man. Running a business in America does demand a certain amount of flexibility on the part of the provider. It's just how things are.

Now move to a foreign country, and you may have a case. Things are much different abroad as far as being happy with whatever service you receive.

Turbine is providing a service, for a fee.

They provide X services, for Y fee.

If you don't like the Y fee for the X services, then don't. America is all about freedom of a business to run it the way they want.

I don't see Turbine as a company that is out for anyone but Turbine, they are pouring resources and $$$ to make the game succeed, at whatever level they deem appropriate.

That last part is the kicker:

It forces us to make a decision whether we can accept the level of service they provide.

I base my decision off of how much I am paying, for the opportunity to have fun with my friends, in an environment that isn't the best, but I am willing to accept the current level of service they are providing.

That is what I meant when I said we have to take the good (time hanging with friends) with the bad (game issues)

In foreign countries, where democracy might be a filthy word, the service Turbine provides would be greatly appreciated, compared to what they normally receive, if that is what you are getting at.

"You have to take the good with the bad, you can't have your cake and eat it too"

Maltese
07-30-2007, 07:19 PM
I'm not surprised at all. Should have shot the dead horse five months ago.

On Xoriat, I waited 30 minutes to either PUG or initiate a PUG (that was in January). In April, the wait .. oh .. new content!
In June, the wait extended from 30 to 58 minutes.

Hmm.. merging servers.. Having a cash flow problem?
Let's see WoW rates over 9million players. EVE has over a million in one continous server cluster environment..
Merging servers? This isn't the answer!

Firepigs
08-01-2007, 03:07 PM
I have always wanted an Oompa Loompa, is that coming out with this new patch!?!?

transtemporal
08-01-2007, 06:03 PM
They provide X services, for Y fee.
If you don't like the Y fee for the X services, then don't. America is all about freedom of a business to run it the way they want.
I don't see Turbine as a company that is out for anyone but Turbine, they are pouring resources and $$$ to make the game succeed, at whatever level they deem appropriate.

The coin always has two faces though. America (and in fact most of the western world) is also about the consumers freedom to choose. If the quality and level of service implied in X declines but Y remains the same, the consumer reserves the right to vote with their feet.

So while companies do have the freedom to run their business the way they want to, Turbine succeeds or fails on the strength of its product and the quality of service it provides (basically its reputation). Any decision that endangers the goodwill and reputation they've built up with the community (such as consciously reducing the quality of service) is a potentially company destroying decision. I'm sure no one is more aware of that than Turbine.

Unconsciously, or accidentally reducing the quality of service due to incompetence, negligence or bad practices is a different matter and a rant for another time.

Now, maybe I'm not understanding the thread correctly but the implication seems to that Turbine have consciously chosen to reduce the quality of service for DDO. This seems to have been the perception and experience of a lot of people on the forums but personally, my experience with Turbine has been (and continues to be) pretty good overall.

But who knows, my opinion might change after the server merge. I do reserve that right afterall. :o

Trappers
08-02-2007, 02:23 PM
I have always wanted an Oompa Loompa, is that coming out with this new patch!?!?

ooooh! If Alli/Nef gets an oompa loompa, maybe he'll stop thinking of mini elves as pets :D

As for the merge, I just wish they'd given the merged servers completely new names.

Beherit_Baphomar
08-02-2007, 04:38 PM

LOL.