PDA

View Full Version : Is there no proof to the poison?

cyan027
07-18-2007, 07:35 PM
Proof of the poison: The lv4 Pit.

This quest is amazing long enough, and even more amazing, fulled with casters. I never seen any quest has more casters than fighters, but I saw it now, in [proof of the poison]

What Turbine wanna show us? Arcanes still powerful? Yes I admit arcanes still powerful enough, *IF* we players has unlimited mana as mobs do, or we can bring in a full brigade of casters to finish the quest. But sorry, we can only have 6 ppl in a team, and our mana is limited. What I feel is how powerless an arcane can be in this quest, again,

Run it on normal with my lv14 cleric and 2 other my guildies both lv14. I am not wasting my mana, and I use sound burst to CC those casters to minimise my mana cost on healing, with 32 wisdom still half of the casters can save against my sound blast stunning effect, in NORMAL difficulty! Wose thing is, in the whole quest there are only 1 shrine, so I have to recall twice for my mana.

This is not the whole story. The quickfoot casters can cast Magic Missiles, the only spell that can't be resisted in the whole DDO. So you have to either kill them first to prevent them from casting, or you can only heal the damage they cause. And, those lv3 fighters can hit me with ease, even I have nearly 40 AC. Seems they dont have much problme penetrate my defense. How can a Lv3 fighter has nearly +20 toHit rate?

And those are all happened when I run that quest in NORMAL difficulty. I just can't image how terrible the quest will be in elite.

I somehow wonder what lv difficulty Turbine design this quest for? Are they desing this quest for level 14 [Forteen] not Level 4 [Four]? Do they understand that Lv4 casters has merely around 300 mana and can't last long enough through the quest EVEN THEY SIMPLY DOING THE BUFFING JOBS?

The only way I figure out to do this quest is bringing in enough casters to cast all the buffs, and carry at least 20 healing wands in order to compensate the massive damage your team will suffer, if you really want to run this quest with a lv4 team. But I seriously doubt any cleric can afford the healing costs, the whole quest has only 2 poorly stuffed chest, I can only earn about 500 gold pieces from the whole run -- not even enough to afford the cost of a CURE LIGHT healing wand!

I can see there is another quest serves nothing but providing favor for high level characters who pursuiting favors. This quest has 15 favor if finished on elite, the only good point I can see in this quest.

Snike
07-18-2007, 07:43 PM
Normal and elite are pretty easy as long as you remember to get your resist: acid buff before entering. Hard was nice EXP at level 6-7, 5000, took about 20-25 mins, after having ran it on normal and knowing the layout. Elite on the other hand was very difficult, went through many many wands healing. Casters spamming Otto's and Lightning Bolts, not EXP barely any better than Hard considering it took 3x as long.

Memnir
07-18-2007, 07:48 PM
The quickfoot casters can cast Magic Missiles, the only spell that can't be resisted in the whole DDO.Carry a Shield clickie (or three). Shield blocks both Magic Missle and Force Missle. Keep an eye out for Nightshield clickies too... they may start to pop up any time now.

As for the quest - I won't be running it after the overwhelmingly negative feedback I've heard about it. I play this game to have fun - not to punish myself.

Riorik
07-18-2007, 07:50 PM
You do know there's a new Cleric/Wizard spell - level 1 called Night Shield that provide protection from Magic Missiles (exactly like the 1st level Shield Spell for Arcanes).

After reading the above post - I decided to go find this quest and solo it - used my Ftr11/Pal3. I used a Greater Acid & Fire resist item - and pretty much walked through everything in the quest effortlessly. Think I used 6 charges off a CSW wand - and approximately 400 pts of healing via other methods...call it, around 520 or so healing total through the entire thing. The quest as a whole was pretty linear - you had one choice and you went to look for a valve, switch, lever or a key - and then used it. The only hesitation was the "deep acid" that was doing 10d6 for simply standing in it - obviously an attempt to give it some relevance instead of an inconvenience. At least 25% of the damage I took was from these until I noticed.

I guess what I'm saying is, a lot of the comments above struck a chord - they seemed similar in theme to another 4th level quest, Freshen the Air - that as I recall, most players I know solo'd it on elite - or at worst ran it with a couple other guildies without issues...before they adjust the quest slightly. Really, it never was hard - it just forced players to do something they hadn't had to do up to that point.

I am thinking the quest may be a bit under-leveled - for me it was effortless because of 30 pt resist items - obviously, 4th level characters aren't going to have access to this - at best, 7th level will have 20 pt resists which would probably be sufficient considering most damage was from acid arrow (<10 damage)

I think you may need to re-evaluate your efforts and consider alternative approaches since I was able to zerg it without much effort - on my very FIRST time through the quest - without any input from any other player or reading up on it.

Nax

Impaqt
07-18-2007, 07:57 PM
This is not the whole story. The quickfoot casters can cast Magic Missiles, the only spell that can't be resisted in the whole DDO. So you have to either kill them first to prevent them from casting, or you can only heal the damage they cause. And, those lv3 fighters can hit me with ease, even I have nearly 40 AC. Seems they dont have much problme penetrate my defense. How can a Lv3 fighter has nearly +20 toHit rate?

Cant be Resisted? Maybe not.. But you can become Compeltely Immune to it.... Sheild CLicky.. Nightsheild Spell....

jaitee
07-18-2007, 08:05 PM
i joined a pug group, ;) for it, and they all died, in a few seconds, the cleric bailed after he used up his 2 wands he could afford and the 2 the group gave him, every one was outa sps, and pretty soon we got the famous, i have to leave

Conejo
07-18-2007, 10:20 PM
Shield:
level 1 Sor/Wiz spell.
makes you immune to Magic Missile (not Force Missile)

Nightshield:
level 1 Cleric, Sor/Wiz spell.
makes you immune to Magic Missile and Force Missile.

Coldin
07-18-2007, 10:38 PM
I soloed the quest as my 14th level rogue. But it was wand and resist potion extensive.

I could certainly see a group of 4th level adventurers have a difficult time with it. I think the casters should probably be cut in half and replaced with a few rogues. I mean, they are a group of thieves, so why is it only casters and fighters?

Gimpster
07-18-2007, 10:46 PM
I could certainly see a group of 4th level adventurers have a difficult time with it. I think the casters should probably be cut in half and replaced with a few rogues.
Or replaced with empty space. 230 mobs is a lot for a single level 4 quest.

Aspenor
07-18-2007, 10:49 PM
It was fairly difficult on normal for my group of 4 lvl 6's and 2 lvl 3s. I'm sure having a rogue would be a great idea for this quest for level appropriate characters.

Karters
07-18-2007, 11:06 PM
Shield:
level 1 Sor/Wiz spell.
makes you immune to Magic Missile (not Force Missile)

Nightshield:
level 1 Cleric, Sor/Wiz spell.
makes you immune to Magic Missile and Force Missile.

shield does stop force missiles, go solo the 1st part of the queen raid with and then without a shield clickie, the effraits use force missile and shield does stop it

pcgammerm
07-18-2007, 11:20 PM
if you are having trouble with this quest on norm with lvl 14s you should seriously reevaluate your chars. i soled the thing on normal with a lvl 6 no prob

and as far as the one shrine goes i ran it hard with a pug in 24 mins with no probs.

sp bars were not hurting through most of the quest, so if at lvl 14 you are having trouble....then i don't know how you make it through the giant hold quests

if a pug grp (max lvl 7) can run hard in 24 mins, with only half the grp knowing anything about the quest then you better not be having probs with lvl 14s

geoffhanna
07-18-2007, 11:49 PM
Ran it on Normal tonight with a 3-5th level party and no cleric. It was painful and long and we had no idea what we were doing. We did finish, many deaths and much time.

Ran it again immediately after. Replaced 5th level fighter with 7th level barb and 4th level sorc with 7th level sorc. Added level3 cleric. Totally owned the quest on Hard, finishing in ... I dunno, 30 minutes? Still no acid resist but managed no deaths.

Biggest difference? Not the character upgrade, although that helped, and not the cleric although that helped too. The improvement was at least 90% because of knowing the quest.

Oh - and BTW I think a bard or wiz with charm could solo the quest pretty easily.

Memnir
07-19-2007, 12:05 AM
Okay - I did run it just to see what the fuss is about. It's not as hard as I've been hearing. Yes, I think it's too hard for the level of the quest, has waaaaay too many casters, and the level design is obnoxious (to use the most polite word I can muster).

The biggest problem with it is that it's lacking something. Fun. For me at least, I think that running this is/was/will be a chore. There are a few quests in this game that feel that way - Necropolis cheif among them. This quest reminded me a lot of the Necro chain, and it would not suprise me at all to learn they have the same person in charge of layout design. That aside, I don't run those quests if I can help it because they are not fun. Now, I add the Poison quest to that list.

I know there will be some out there who like it. I don't begrudge them that. For me - I simply will pretend this quest does not exist unless I'm in dire need of Favor.

PurdueDave
07-19-2007, 12:12 AM
Just ran most of it (conquest) on normal solo with level 6 melee. I think I missed a key because I got stuck. Thought I missed a secret door and when I left to recharge by DSD clickie the quest reset on me (oh well, serves me right for going AFK). Didn't feel like doing it again.

My impressions (normal diff) are...
-resist acid is good (lots of Melf's)
-the dogs and melees can't hit a decent AC
-don't kill the iron doggies if you have a decent reflex save becaues they grease the mobs for you
-don't wade in acid
-it's hard to tell the melees from the casters so try to pull them to you so you can spot the casters buffing
-the traps have more bark than bite
-a lot of mobs (I stopped checking at like 180)

In party, it would seem to be a good intimidate quest. Lots of close quarters fighting for splash damage as well. Enough fleshies for the rogues to have fun.

captain1
07-19-2007, 12:33 AM
my wizard level 9 wasnt having to much trouble cast shield acid, resist, firewalled, cloudkilled, but got stuck at a gate and couldnt figure out how to get past it.

will try again with full group at lower levels. Not that bad..just use cover and outsmart them

captain1
07-19-2007, 02:42 AM
OK so heres the update......

just did this with 4-8 levels on both normal and hard. 95% of the traps are avoidable, quest is large but linear. Casters die real easy like any other caster. At AC 36 the only things that hit me were MM but I have nightshield, and acid arrows but I had acid resist pots. i used 6 charges on my wand and forgot to use the shrine (on normal) Used about the same amount of charges on hard but I used the shrine this time.

This quest is semi-fun, good xp and about as hard as the other quickfoot hideout (swiped signet).

seriously, just have acid pots and dont run around aggro ing everything.
This is a cake walk terrible loot, good xp. STK is about the same difficulty.

The 1st thing the casters do is buff themselves, while they do that you see them, attack and they are dead b4 they get off the next spell.

I would say, get some rest, get together a group, try again when u are rested its not hard at all and very soloable.

as far as doing it with all level 4 guys...If u have 2 people who can heal or wand, a caster with lots of sp (sorc I guess) a rogue or bard and 2 good tanks u will breeze thru this one.

This quest is not even worth talking about, I only did it because the OP thought it was too hard...I think u may just have been a little tired is all.

try again u will see it differently I promise u.

captain1
07-19-2007, 04:16 AM
OK last one...need to get ta bed

6 man group levels 3-5 they have never done it and I turned my voice chat off.

Used 15 charges from my cure mod wand used the shrine. Also used 3 acid resist pots and 6 charges from my resistance wand. 1 guy died because he ran into the fire trap and the same guy died again because he was standin in the acid. My 4th level cleric with 19 wisdom (no tome and no wisdom item) managed to stun 4/5 mobs with soundburst everytime i used it

This was on normal and I think I can solo it with just my cleric. The only person with more kills than I had was the fighter. The last group of bosses I would have to run them thru some acid traps but I can solo this if Im careful.

I wont try tonight but will do it tomorrow. The quest is fine. No need to recall for mana or anything.....thought about using a numonic pot for extra magic at 1 point but didnt.

bulls str
acid resist
nightshield

and I will be able to zerg this until I reach the last boss group...then as I said will need to run them thru acid.

Im not a power gamer, but I play smart, my characters are not twinked because Im on a new server. All this talk about taking level 14 guys into this quest and getting beat up is giving this quest way to much credit.

Its a 4th level quest that was barely a challenge for a group of level 3-5.

DKerrigan
07-19-2007, 04:44 AM
The only proof in this poison is that you need at least a level 6 to complete the quest, after you die in the "well done" trap.

Oran_Lathor
07-19-2007, 05:11 AM
I'm with virtually everyone else who's posted here. The quest is pretty cool, nice length, difficult but not over the top at appropriate level. 3 level 14s having trouble with this on normal is absolutely mind boggling.

Olaff
07-19-2007, 06:53 AM
/shrug

I soloed it on my hybrid. Didn't even have to rest. Used up my entire mana bar, though... Extended Acid/Fire Resist, Barkskin, Jump, non-Extended Acid Prot. Went through around 30 or 35 charges on one of my CSWs, as well.

I did have a 2K gp repair bill though. I think that was mostly because there were a few oozes that slipped into combat while I was beating down other critters. :mad:

Course, that was on normal, so we'll see how it goes on hard/elite tonight.

Karethon
07-19-2007, 08:58 AM
Ran it in groups of 3-4 level 14 characters several times. As was noted earlier, the biggest factor in being able to successfully complete it was knowledge of the quest. Not sure what kind of XP it awards at level, but it seemed to be sizeable, considering the base amount and ease of conquest + ransack if you tried. There are a few spells that make it a lot easier on elite, but I don't know that I would call any of them required.

Bombalo
07-19-2007, 09:20 AM
Normal and hard settings are relatively simple because of the small amounts of damage that most of the casters do. ELITE however is a completely different story. On elite your looking at a level 6 quest. Good luck running that without at least one lvl 9 cleric in your party. And that cleric is needed for one spell True Seeing. Normal and hard shouldnt be that difficult for a group around the quest level. Elite however I dont see being accomplished by any group lower than average level 9/10.

ArkoHighStar
07-19-2007, 09:28 AM
soloed this in 25 minutes with a pally12/rogue 2, a level appropriate group will have to use some strategy here with the casters otherwise its just volume of mobs and the traps which I just ran through but I am sure could be deadly to level 4's. I was surprised at how much dmg the acid did with 30 resist I was still taking 6 points of dmg, this will kill some lower lvl characters.

Prior
07-19-2007, 09:46 AM
Ran this first with my level 14 cleric solo. Normal was 44 minutes as I learned it and hard was 20 minutes. Though I don't believe it was necessary, on elite I brought along a bard for the company and still didn't have any issues. Nightshield was key as was acid/fire/lightning resists. I generally just aggroed everything into a large group and cast cometfall and flamestrike until there was just a smoldering pile of 50+ dead quickfeet and iron defenders on the ground.

It seems with its 1 shrine it would be difficult for a level 4 party and all of the magic missiles that seem to get cast but just like fighters bring along plenty of healing potions at the higher levels they should probably do the same here. Charm person or its offshoots would probably make it a bit easier as well.

The whole drow assassin guy was kind of cool to come upon. But I enjoyed the quest for what it was.

Laith
07-19-2007, 09:52 AM
Charm person or its offshoots would probably make it a bit easier as well.that was the conclusion we made from the quest.
get a couple casters, and the quest changes dramatically.

especially on elite where they're suddenly throwing fireballs and lightning bolts.

Strakeln
07-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Wose thing is, in the whole quest there are only 1 shrine, so I have to recall twice for my mana.Not true, there are three shrines in the quest.

This is not the whole story. The quickfoot casters can cast Magic Missiles, the only spell that can't be resisted in the whole DDO. So you have to either kill them first to prevent them from casting, or you can only heal the damage they cause. And, those lv3 fighters can hit me with ease, even I have nearly 40 AC. Seems they dont have much problme penetrate my defense. How can a Lv3 fighter has nearly +20 toHit rate?Shield spell/clickies, as many mentioned.

That said, the Pit has traditionally had poor loot/XP for the effort required. They upped everything a bit a couple of mods ago, the XP seems right, but the treasure is still off (excluding the elusive Muckdoom, of course).

Edit: never mind, I now realize that the OP is indeed *not* talking about The Pit. Sigh.

sigtrent
07-19-2007, 11:29 AM
Did it on normal wtih two level 7s (bard/barbarian and Fighter/ranger) We pretty much breezed through, only having trouble when both of us were dancing. I used some wands but I'm always using wands on that character. We didn't have any energy resist beyond some of the old level 1 resist wands.

Its a challenging quest, but its not all that hard. Any level 14 having issues in there isn't playeing their character with any competence. (not saying you are a bad player, just that you wern't trying very hard due to the quest level)

I rather liked it. A bit long for its level, and a bit monotonous in therms of what you fight until the end. I think the Dungeon Designers need to avoid quests that just repeat the same mobs over and over in the same settings over and over. Gets kind of monotonous. I liked the dungeon layout, found it pretty easy just to bumble my way through there. (keep your eye open for keys!) I only had to backtrack looking for doors once.

Treasure was horrible.. but all level 4 quests have horrible treasure.

WilbyZ
07-19-2007, 11:44 AM
Mobs die real easy in the acid pools and traps. Lead them to it and they will come.

QuantumFX
07-19-2007, 11:50 AM
Proof is in the Poison follows the long tradition of stand alone marketplace quests: Too difficult for the suggested level.

Soloed it with my lvl 14 on normal and hard. Died once on hard because of an unfortunate Ottos Irresistable Dance followed with a volley of magic missles.

Ran it with a party of lvl 5-7's. Only 2 deaths, half a Cure Moderate wand and a quarter of a resist energy wand. Not a zergfest, but doable. (Kinda like Freshen the Air, Missing in Action and the Swiped Signet.)

Sue_Dark
07-19-2007, 11:57 AM

This quest is amazing long enough, and even more amazing, fulled with casters. I never seen any quest has more casters than fighters, but I saw it now, in [proof of the poison]

What Turbine wanna show us? Arcanes still powerful? Yes I admit arcanes still powerful enough, *IF* we players has unlimited mana as mobs do, or we can bring in a full brigade of casters to finish the quest. But sorry, we can only have 6 ppl in a team, and our mana is limited. What I feel is how powerless an arcane can be in this quest, again,

Run it on normal with my lv14 cleric and 2 other my guildies both lv14. I am not wasting my mana, and I use sound burst to CC those casters to minimise my mana cost on healing, with 32 wisdom still half of the casters can save against my sound blast stunning effect, in NORMAL difficulty! Wose thing is, in the whole quest there are only 1 shrine, so I have to recall twice for my mana.

And those are all happened when I run that quest in NORMAL difficulty. I just can't image how terrible the quest will be in elite.

I somehow wonder what lv difficulty Turbine design this quest for? Are they desing this quest for level 14 [Forteen] not Level 4 [Four]? Do they understand that Lv4 casters has merely around 300 mana and can't last long enough through the quest EVEN THEY SIMPLY DOING THE BUFFING JOBS?

The only way I figure out to do this quest is bringing in enough casters to cast all the buffs, and carry at least 20 healing wands in order to compensate the massive damage your team will suffer, if you really want to run this quest with a lv4 team. But I seriously doubt any cleric can afford the healing costs, the whole quest has only 2 poorly stuffed chest, I can only earn about 500 gold pieces from the whole run -- not even enough to afford the cost of a CURE LIGHT healing wand!

I can see there is another quest serves nothing but providing favor for high level characters who pursuiting favors. This quest has 15 favor if finished on elite, the only good point I can see in this quest.

I duo'd this one with my partner, her level 3ftr/1rgr me L1rog/4rgr. She died once because I was dancing with her and they liked her better. Otherwise, with no shield clickie and only store bought pots, we made it thru just fine.

This quest is not hard at all, a bit long on the first run learning the layout, but not hard by any means. My toon has all of 34 AC and hers is +/- a few points and yes we did take some hits, but they were not hitting every shot.

It is just nuts thinking that the quest is hard for a L14 anything, much less a caster type... You have alot more cc available as a L14 cleric than just soundburst, try something a bit stronger.... maybe try setting a trap of your own...

Oh, btw, the traps disarmed no problem on normal with a +20 disable (didnt get to check rolls cause the partner was busy drawing agro :p ). I'm considering going back tonite with my L14 rogue and solo the place... just to do it... if I do, I'll repost to laugh at you, OP.

Arianrhod
07-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Just another take - duoed this yesterday with a cleric 6 & rog2/ftr4 (both 28-point elves). We finished it with no recalling & no deaths, but it wasn't much fun. Long, resource-intensive (used all the cure wands I had - 3 partial cure mods & 2 partial cure lights). We explored pretty throughly and only found one shrine - someone up there said there were 3?

I think the acid pits are a bit much - they seem far more damaging (38 points a shot) than the lava pools in the Fire Caves (comparable level quest in 3-barrel cove). For a level 4 quest, damage that basic resist elements can make a real dent in would seem more appropriate.

Talon_Moonshadow
07-19-2007, 01:42 PM
Soloed this one yesterday on normal with my lvl 14 multi class toon. It was easy for me cause I routinelly have shield cast in me anyway, but I was amaszed at how difficult this quest was set up to be......I think any lvl 4 group would wipe over and over again on this quest......yes, they can leesen this with acid resist and nightshield cast on them, but the duration for bussa at lvl 4 is very short, and with only one shrine the casters would be out of SP very quickly.
Another surprise was the rooms filled with acid that you have to jump over......this acid did an amazing amount of damge if you fell into it or walked on it.....I'm shure this would be the death of many a toon as well.

VirieSquichie
07-19-2007, 02:36 PM
I agree that it's not a level 4 quest. For level 4, there should have been three shrines in there. It's more like a level 6 or 7 the way it's built now.

My level 13 cleric (walking shrine build, terrible at combat) soloed it on normal last night. It was tough for her, but then she was solo and she sucks in melee. I used most, maybe all, of a CSW wand. The traps were completely avoidable, the spells mainly bounced off her resist spell and the enemies didn't hit all that much. (+1 FP)

Resist Acid on normal is a must. Some way of being immune to magic missiles would have helped somewhat, but knowing when to duck behind an obstacle helped a lot also. (devs, fix that line of sight bug with MM!)

On hard I imagine this would take a party to do, or a determined paladin who didn't mind using wands and potions a fair amount. It would get messy if the party wasn't tight and fairly well equipped, and had potions and wands instead of relying solely on mana. Seriously, any low level fighter that doesn't carry resist potions needs to get his butt kicked until he starts doing so.

On elite I think I'd wait for a party of 10+ level characters...it's just too long, too many spells and too few shrines for low levels to really do it. The person/people who compare it to freshen the air have it right.

Karethon
07-19-2007, 04:07 PM
Resist Acid on normal is a must. Some way of being immune to magic missiles would have helped somewhat, but knowing when to duck behind an obstacle helped a lot also. (devs, fix that line of sight bug with MM!)

As others have mentioned, the new spell Nightshield (Clr 1) grants immunity to magic missiles. On elite you'll want to pack True Seeing as well as a few more elemental resists, but otherwise you should be fine.

Spell
07-19-2007, 04:15 PM
Very soloable at lvl 14.
My lvl 14 wizard went thru all 3 difficulties with no problems.

Aspenor
07-19-2007, 04:35 PM
Very soloable at lvl 14.
My lvl 14 wizard went thru all 3 difficulties with no problems.

Umm..

It's a level 4 quest. How is a level 14's performance any measure of the difficutly? Just curious.

Tanka
07-19-2007, 05:35 PM
L6 quest on Elite. Casters buffing themselves with Displacement.

When does everyone get to cast True Seeing again?

Oh, right, L9.

Something stinks, and it ain't the sewers.

Lower the number of casters by a very significant amount and maybe I'd call it level appropriate. Otherwise it's just another favor crunch run that people will do once they hit the cap or need to hit 1750 (since it does grant 15 Coin Lords favor on Elite).

DKerrigan
07-19-2007, 06:12 PM
We didn't have a rogue in our party so I'm just curious...is there a box for BBQ bridge?

QuantumFX
07-19-2007, 07:01 PM
We didn't have a rogue in our party so I'm just curious...is there a box for BBQ bridge?

Edited - There is a box on the lower floor in the middle of the eggblenders. You can disable it before pulling the switch. It only stops the blade traps though. Apparently there's another trapbox and I'm off to go find it...

Olaff
07-19-2007, 07:04 PM
Yes and no. The box is on the lower floor in the middle of the eggblenders. You can disable it before pulling the switch. It only stops the blade traps though.

No, there's a box that turns off the firetraps as well, but you have to go through the fire to get to it.

QuantumFX
07-19-2007, 07:08 PM
No, there's a box that turns off the firetraps as well, but you have to go through the fire to get to it.

Edited and cool - I'm off to go find it... :)

TheDoctor
07-19-2007, 07:53 PM
My 5th lvl rogue Rayzerr and 5th lvl Pali/rog/ftr guildee Xyath, 2 manned most of the quest on our first attempt (Normal).(we had 3 and he left after dieing in the acid a few times, we also had a bard join late in the quest who did do a bit here and there, so we carried his stone when needed when he died in the acid too.) The key was to take it slow, not break the boxes which are designed to alert the nearby mobs, have acid resist pots, shield pots and barkskin, fight in the doorways etc. We wiped 3 times due to breaking boxes but once we worked out the Devs strategy we cruised through it. Other than MM all the other spells that were cast at us could be avoided by hiding behind the MANY obstacles placed in the quest for that exact reason, to use as cover. The Ottos was a pain but we got through it. We had no magic users and no healers only pots and wands.

If L14's had trouble I question your play style. I'll take my high levels in there tonight and smash it wide open. Just for some payback… : )

I really enjoyed the quest and applaud the devs on some innovative use of AI and dungeon design. It was a good test of player experience and skill.

riaggo
07-20-2007, 12:42 AM
I dont like it. The problems with level 14's soloing it or 3manning it is probaly the lack of resists. 10d6 is overpowering for level 6's..... the quest is level 6. put on all resists and i had no problems with anything except for the fact taht they can hit a 56 ac on a level 6 quest. its kinda pathetic and this quest is worth nothing but favor considering how greatly unfun it is. its very doable but its just not fun at all. btw sc can b run with all level 2's and 1 quest opener that then leaves after the quest. so dont bother saying that its mind boggling that people cant do this mission....... also i read something about freshen the air having the same difficulty and people just need to change their ways...... i dont run freshen the air either bcuz its not fun. whoever made this quest, the pit, and the necropalis need to start playing the game to find out a usual groups capabilties..... not every1 is a genius.

suggestions:
destroy quest
make it a level 7 or 8 dungeon.
lower difficulty.

any1 of those three would work out well =D

DKerrigan
07-20-2007, 12:56 AM
I dont like it. The problems with level 14's soloing it or 3manning it is probaly the lack of resists. 10d6 is overpowering for level 6's..... the quest is level 6. put on all resists and i had no problems with anything except for the fact taht they can hit a 56 ac on a level 6 quest. its kinda pathetic and this quest is worth nothing but favor considering how greatly unfun it is. its very doable but its just not fun at all. btw sc can b run with all level 2's and 1 quest opener that then leaves after the quest. so dont bother saying that its mind boggling that people cant do this mission....... also i read something about freshen the air having the same difficulty and people just need to change their ways...... i dont run freshen the air either bcuz its not fun. whoever made this quest, the pit, and the necropalis need to start playing the game to find out a usual groups capabilties..... not every1 is a genius

Um...it's supposed to be a level 4 quest on normal.

Newfy
07-20-2007, 01:06 AM
This quest is one of the more down to earth quest. On normal my lvl 7 Pally/Ftr soloed it with little trouble. Four manned it on hard with no cleric and again had little troubles. Elite was tuned up a bit but still within lvl range.

Great job Turbine, the quest was a delight to play and XP was pretty good too..

Ekental
07-20-2007, 05:43 AM
A lvl 14 caster? You'll manage it in 10 minutes or less, normal, hard, or elite.

That's not the issue though.

Imagine going through this on your lvl 6-7s...
Why would you, want to run through a long gigantic geometric maze? If ever there was a quest that made people feel like they were stuck in an aggressive rat race, this would be it.
Like a large number of quests in the game, there's no incentive to going through this more than.. once, on elite, for anything but favor.
What are you doing at lvl 7? Stormcleave, Co6, Threnal...
All of which give you more xp/time that you spend on it.

I'd certainly rather go through SC elite at 7 than a quest where I would get MM/Fireballed/Lightning Bolted to death (elite).

There needs to be a somewhat comparable amount of reward for the time spent.

Tanka
07-20-2007, 05:46 AM
There needs to be a somewhat comparable amount of reward for the time spent.
Agreed. The highest leveled item I got was a piece of L2 weaponry.

For an L6 quest on Elite, while the chest rules say that the above is, in fact, correct, the difficulty of the quest on Elite for the level intended is an outright joke.

At L6, I'm running SC. And getting far better items on Normal than I am in that on Elite.

Knightrose
07-20-2007, 06:01 AM
I think all siginifcantly challenging quests should have nice rewards. And that doesn't mean spoils (like a vorpal every time you spit). But I mean, be creative here. There's other ways to reward players for spending hour(s) in a dungeon. Rare items for example. What ever happened to rare expensive art? Throw in some Statues of David that are worth 1kpp or more at the vendor. At least that would be welcome over masterwork or a geology bag.

sirgog
07-20-2007, 06:58 AM
I didn't dislike the quest. On normal or hard, it's marginally harder than the level would suggest - not because the mobs are tough, but because there's only one shrine. At elite, however, it's tremendously hard. My Sor8 that can solo Stormcleave without trouble ran into it with a party of 5 level 6-8s that had all run the quest at least once before. We wiped after a few fights. Multiple mobs spamming lightning bolt, fireball, acid arrow and more make for a very tough quest.

IMO it should have had a second shrine in it, and/or been a level 5 quest. That would make it similar in balance to STK part 3.

Sue_Dark
07-20-2007, 07:18 AM
Edited - There is a box on the lower floor in the middle of the eggblenders. You can disable it before pulling the switch. It only stops the blade traps though. Apparently there's another trapbox and I'm off to go find it...

I found a trap box at the far end of the bridge, near the gate and one below it in the middle of the floor.

Wulf_Ratbane
07-20-2007, 08:03 AM
I didn't dislike the quest. On normal or hard, it's marginally harder than the level would suggest - not because the mobs are tough, but because there's only one shrine. At elite, however, it's tremendously hard. My Sor8 that can solo Stormcleave without trouble ran into it with a party of 5 level 6-8s that had all run the quest at least once before. We wiped after a few fights. Multiple mobs spamming lightning bolt, fireball, acid arrow and more make for a very tough quest.

Once you know the quest, you should be able to run it almost all the way through before your House P Resist Energy buffs wear off. So, just plan on doing this quest (on elite, certainly) AFTER you've earned your House P buffs.

(Really, why don't folks use these buffs before every quest? 30 minute resists. Duh.)

I would hazard to say that most of the damage you take inside this quest will be from magic missile.

The "always turn right" rule works pretty much flawlessly as far as navigating your way through.

This is no Pit-- not by a longshot.

Roguewiz
07-20-2007, 08:08 AM
This quest is entirely too difficult for the level.

Not everyone has 5 shield clicky items.
Not everyone is part wizard/sorcerer or cleric
Not everyone has a high enough UMD to use a Shield Wand.
Only 1 shrine, after fighting through 100+ mobs, is just not enough.

The quest would have gone better for me, if I would have had my Shield Wand on me, but I didn't. I didn't die, but I used an excessive amount of resources, AT LEVEL 14, for a level 4 quest.

Two Cure Serious Wands (fell into the Acid...sigh)
4 Heal Scrolls
Who knows how many Cure Serious Potions
Lay on Hands 4 times (after shrine of course)

And this is just on normal. This quest reminds me of "Swiped Signet". On normal, there are alot of casters, spamming Magic Missle.

On elite, I expect to see all those small hallways filled with Sleet Storm....And the final fight for the quest is going to be a bear for a group that isn't organized.

I found a trap box at the far end of the bridge, near the gate and one below it in the middle of the floor.

Disable the trap on the floor before you pull the level, otherwise this trap will be a true test of a low level Rogue's evasion :)

PS

220+ mobs in the dungeon? Geez.

Roguewiz
07-20-2007, 08:12 AM
Sigh...see above. It is too early in the morning

Wulf_Ratbane
07-20-2007, 08:20 AM
This quest is entirely too difficult for the level.

Not everyone has 5 shield clicky items.

I have one, but didn't use it.

Only 1 shrine, after fighting through 100+ mobs, is just not enough.

I didn't use it.

I used an excessive amount of resources, AT LEVEL 14, for a level 4 quest.

You couldn't do this on normal? What class are you?

It sounds like your DPS was too low, and you need to either refit your items or your spells.

I made it through dual wielding a weighted hammer and a seeker pick. Run into the mobs, click click click until they were all dead, heal up, repeat. My AC dual wielding is... maybe 32?

I used about 20-30 charges of Cure Serious Wounds. That's it. Never even had to use the shrine.

On elite, I expect to see all those small hallways filled with Sleet Storm....

I was worried about this myself. I skipped hard, so I don't know, but on elite it was lightning bolt and, of course, magic missile. Not sure if they were casting hold person or not (I had a cleric cast freedom of movement on me.)

And the final fight for the quest is going to be a bear for a group that isn't organized.

Really? Cause I pretty much did this the same way I did every other fight-- run into the middle of them and swing until everything stopped moving.

I guess you could say I zerged this quest, solo (on normal). (Ftr6/Rog6/Rgr2)

It's absolutely solo-able by a 14th level character on normal. Sheesh.

Dane_McArdy
07-20-2007, 08:26 AM
I've read a lot of complaints about the unlimited mana NPC casters have. But I have yet to see that unlimited mana make a difference, when I am playing.

Mobs just don't live long enough. And like how a real DM would probably have mobs focus on the parties casters, don't we as adventures, do the same?

Olaff
07-20-2007, 08:28 AM
Besides, the Pit is an awesome quest. It's second on my list of favorites, right behind the Delera's chain.

'course, I have step-by-step directions, so it's not even close to being hard anymore.

EDIT: Didn't get the chance to run Poison on hard/elite last night... but when I ran on normal, I was dual-wielding a Seeker 2 Battleaxe and a Seeker 8 Handaxe. The only time melee hurt me was when I was surrounded and people to the rear and flanks were hitting me.

Aspenor
07-20-2007, 08:30 AM
My only problem with the quest was the "lack of shrines."

However, it has been stated in this thread that there are 3 shrines. We did not have a rogue. That must have been the problem :)

Must be a secret door or two we missed somewhere.

Roguewiz
07-20-2007, 08:44 AM
I have one, but didn't use it.

I would have used mine if I had it on me.

I didn't use it.

Good for you, I used it to get my LoH back

You couldn't do this on normal? What class are you?

Rogue 11/3 Paladin. I never said I couldn't do it on normal, I said I had a difficult time. If I was more prepared for it, I might have done better. However, Turbine cannot expect everyone to have the things that are required for this quest.

It sounds like your DPS was too low, and you need to either refit your items or your spells.

My DPS is situational since I am a Rogue. I haven't had the opportunity to actually measure it though, so I am not sure how much it is without sneak attack. Stuff was dying fast, but it is the initial opening salvo of magic missles and melfs acid arrow.

I made it through dual wielding a weighted hammer and a seeker pick. Run into the mobs, click click click until they were all dead, heal up, repeat. My AC dual wielding is... maybe 32?

I use a +4 Silver Flaming Rapier of Deception (helps for the occasional backstab w/aggro) and a +4 Shocking Burst Light Mace of Backstabbing. I click click click, and they all die. Heal up and do the same. Your AC is higher than mine, but like that matters in this game :). But again, its the moment they are engaged where I take all the damage. But at level 4, that would be enough to almost kill lower levels.
I used about 20-30 charges of Cure Serious Wounds. That's it. Never even had to use the shrine.

I don't use shrines to heal, I use them to refresh: Clickies, LoH, Action Boost, Improved Uncanny Dodge. I'm glad you only used 20-30 charges of Cure Serious Wands. Good for you.

You have more HP than me more than likely. I have a whopping 204, so I need to heal up after getting smacked by 4 different mobs casting magic missile.

I was worried about this myself. I skipped hard, so I don't know, but on elite it was lightning bolt and, of course, magic missile. Not sure if they were casting hold person or not (I had a cleric cast freedom of movement on me.)

Anything that requires a save doesn't bother me, its the ones that don't have a save that tear me up, do to low hp.

Really? Cause I pretty much did this the same way I did every other fight-- run into the middle of them and swing until everything stopped moving.

I had no problems on Normal for the final fight, but due to the 1 Red named and 2 orange named in this encounter, an unorganzied group will die.

I guess you could say I zerged this quest, solo (on normal). (Ftr6/Rog6/Rgr2)

*Clap* Hurray! I actually like learning quests.

It's absolutely solo-able by a 14th level character on normal. Sheesh.

When and where did I say that this quest isn't doable by a 14? Sheesh, quit reading between the lines.

The quest SHOULD be soloeable by a level 14. However, the problem is a group of level 4s attempting this quest.

However, it has been stated in this thread that there are 3 shrines. We did not have a rogue. That must have been the problem :)

I only found one, the obvious one, near a pool of acid. Granted, I wasn't really paying attention to the "hidden door" message, so I might have missed it.

Dariun
07-20-2007, 08:44 AM
A few more comments on this quest...

Duo'd this last night with a 5 cleric/1 paladin and 2 rogue/2 pal/2fghtr. We had one death (do entirely to lack of pipe jumping abilities). We used 3 cure moderate wands. It took us 70 minutes incl. me recalling to tavern, healing, and running back through 70% of the dungeon.

I liked it for several reasons:

It was a much more "epic" quest than you generally get at level 4, in that it was long and has pretty good XP for the level.

Speaking of which -- the XP was nice. Even with 20% penalty for being lvl 6 and 20% re-entry penalty I got about 3500 XP.

Charge! is a really bad strategy for this quest. Rogues, rangers, clerics, and arcanes will have important roles to play.

Although there are a very large number of monsters, the encounters are very similar, so you do not need a lot of different strategies (soundburst really helps).

It's a bit of a maze but at the same time it is hard to get lost because it is a linear maze. Also, opening the last gate by the silver key to give a shortcut back to the silver door was absolutely necessary. I was going to scream if I had to run all the way back...

Enemy spell caster AI was pretty good. Kudos for repeatedly Niac'ing our Hell Hound.

That one trap -- the one that isn't really a "trap" -- the one that led to my death -- nice job on that.

The spider corridor -- great stuff.

Acid pools are cool!

As for criticisms:

Acid pools are evil! I took 35+ points of damage/round on exposure to the acid pools. For lvl 4 characters, that's insta death.

Pretty tough for a level 4 quest. Acid resist is mandatory throughout, and lvl 4 casters only can cast resist 10 for 4 min at a time.

Needs another shrine.

Agree the loot is lame for such a long quest. I highly recommend some named Improved Acid Resist item with min lvl 3 and an Acid/Pure Good weapon.

Pipe jumping -- it's no secret I detest pipe jumping. However, this quest isn't as bad as others because (1) you can kill most enemies before pipe jumping, (2) in two of the three pipe jumping situations only one person needs to do it (and one of them, of course, well... it won't be done too often), and (3) they seem to be "bigger" pipes than other quests so it is easier to stay on them.

Overall grade:

B+ -- not perfect, but good XP and a real challenge for lvl 4 parties in a stand alone quest -- needs a chance for some good named loot to drop, one more shrine, and maybe cut the acid pool damage in half.

Dariun
07-20-2007, 08:45 AM

Possibly. I had a lvl 6 multiclass rogue whose spot should have been good enough to see anything a lvl 4 rogue could see, and I found no hidden shrines.

Wulf_Ratbane
07-20-2007, 09:04 AM
Possibly. I had a lvl 6 multiclass rogue whose spot should have been good enough to see anything a lvl 4 rogue could see, and I found no hidden shrines.

I had the Spectacles on the whole time, and I don't recall any secret doors at all, actually.

Even though I did zerg it, the layout is tight enough that, if there were secret doors in there, they would have to be in the one of the few bigger rooms, somewhere I didn't get close enough to automatically reveal them.

I saw 1 shrine, and it's not hidden.

Aspenor
07-20-2007, 09:07 AM
I had the Spectacles on the whole time, and I don't recall any secret doors at all, actually.

Even though I did zerg it, the layout is tight enough that, if there were secret doors in there, they would have to be in the one of the few bigger rooms, somewhere I didn't get close enough to automatically reveal them.

I saw 1 shrine, and it's not hidden.

Maybe the person posting about the 3 shrines thought we meant the new outdoor exploration area....

hmph

Mad_Bombardier
07-20-2007, 09:11 AM
Maybe the person posting about the 3 shrines thought we meant the new outdoor exploration area....

hmphIIRC, someone in the Risia forum said there was a 2nd, hidden shrine in PiitP. I have yet to find it. I did locate a "secret door alcove" on the map, but no secret door there. Maybe a lever door with a hidden lever? Maybe just a fakeout? I'll have to look behind tapestries and boxes when I run the quest again.

ArkoHighStar
07-20-2007, 09:36 AM
did this last night again, this time with lowbies on normal, no caster ,2 clerics, nobody was really twinked, we had no trouble no deaths all lvl 4-6. The quest was fun, and yes the loot sucked but comparing this to SC is a joke. SC is a lvl 8 quest on normal of course you will get better loot.

Loot works this way. A chest will give out loot 3 lvls below the quest level so POP on elite will give out lvl 13 items, this quest gives out lvl 1 items, on elite lvl 3 items.

The XP for the quest lvl is appropriate 3500 for 30 minutes at lvl 4 is not bad.
none of us had shield clickies but the clerics were using nightshield on themselves. Our strategy was simple move through the dungeon together put the tanks up front to absorb damage and have the ranger pull them them into our portable cuisinart.

Karethon
07-20-2007, 09:46 AM

hmph

Given the rest of that persons post, I suspect they were referring to The Pit, and not Proof is in the Poison. Based on the comments here and the Risia forums, I suspect the second shrine is past the Silver Door - and I'm thinking in the room with the Drow supervisor, but I have not been back into the quest to verify that. I'm not sure where the alcove MB referred to is located, but that could be it as well.

Cruzer
07-20-2007, 10:21 AM
I like this quest, but I do think its a little too hard for the level. This is another quest just like the "swiped signet" that I will always completely skip while leveling a character, and only go back to it if I need favor.

I had to solo it with my lvl 12 (10 ftr / 2 barb) last night after reading all these posts. I have shield clickies and greater resist items. On normal and hard combined I drank TWO cure serious potions for my healing. I think I dropped below 300hps (out of 374) maybe once (acid). The encounters were repetitive enough that I knew when I should burn a shield click and when not to.

I have to say though that for a regular lvl 4-6 character, this quest is too much trouble for the reward. Being hit by acid for 20pts through a 30pt resist is silly, too.

ArkoHighStar
07-20-2007, 10:42 AM
I have to say though that for a regular lvl 4-6 character, this quest is too much trouble for the reward. Being hit by acid for 20pts through a 30pt resist is silly, too.

I had no issues with a lvl 4-6 party none of us were really tweaked, and we moved through at a decent pace, nothing really gave us too much trouble. and there are not many lvl 4 quests giving out 3000xp on normal so the xp is fine for the lvl. Any chars I have in the future will be doing this for xp at lvl 4. In my first post I agreed the acid dmg is too high, but the acid is easily avoided, and the places where you have to pull switches and play mario bros. only one person is required to make the trip.

A lot of people are comparing this to Storm cleave, saying that for better XP at the same lvl I would rather go there. The simple fact is that SC is way too easy if we are running in there and beating it at lvl 4. This quest is not easy but run it a few times and it will be just as easy as SC, just like every other quest we have run a million times.

Laith
07-20-2007, 10:50 AM
this quest reminds me more of Tear of Dhakkan than The Pit. very long, limited shrines (seeing as i almost always run Tear w/o rogue), and big fights with lots of casters. Fortunately, i'm a fan of Tear.

...at least there's no room with infinite spawns in Proof. :)

but, this thread is filled with about as many people saying it can't be done at level4 as people that have said they've done it... to me, that's proof enough.

JD2134
07-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Just pick up a shield wand , If you manage a lvl ten shield wand it last for ten minutes. and prevent them nasty MM attack then couple a acid rest and your set

Borrigain
07-20-2007, 11:32 AM
Went back in last night to check on these rumors. Multiple level 14's, including my multiclass rogue and a pure. Uncovered the whole map. Searched for secret doors everywhere.

Found:
-2 traps, both in first bridge room. (1 on bridge, 1 below on floor)
-1 shrine, halfway in (stairs up/down room)
-1 locked room before passage to last fight, chest
-no secret doors
-did notice alcove on map near beginning that looked like should be secret door behind tapestry, but no luck (even used DSD wand), guessing devs removed it.

Oh, and for those who thought it was hard, come on now, did it on first night on norm and hard with 3 (6ftr/5clr/4rog) with no deaths and no problems. Didn't even use shield or night shield....just 10 acid resistance. Elite probably is different story, but hey, we'll tackle that today :) . Just don't zerg! Use terrain to your advantage. Body pull some mobs and fall back back to a corner, lay in your ambush, and surprise the **** out of their casters. Easy as eatin' pancakes. :D

Happy hunting,
Borr.

Dariun
07-20-2007, 11:45 AM
a lvl ten shield wand it last for ten minutes

True, but what good is a level 10 shield wand for level 4 characters?

Akerue
07-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Wow, this thread is a little amazing. I logged on right after the update and soloed it with my 10/2/2 Rgr/Rge/ftr. It took 45 Minutes. No Deaths and not even close to using a full wand of any size. Found the 2 Traps a beginnings and Secret door with terrible chest.

I liked the big hits from the Acid pools. Nice surprise. I was using a paralyzer on the mobs and had my Ranger Acid Resists. I thought it was fun.

A little while later I ran it with a pug that zerged like I have never seen before. We were 4 lvl 14s. A Fighter, A Wiz, A Cleric and me. We would run until we couldn't run anymore and turn and kill of everything following us. We were done in 18 minutes with no deaths. The cleric kept getting lost and basically met up with us towards to end.

A Little after that I ran it with a 14 sorc guildy. We tried the zerg thing and wiped. We took it slower and finished with no problem in about 25-30 minutes.

I don't have an appropriate level alt to run through it, but look forward to it when I do. Overall, I would give it a B+. The **** loot drops it from an A for me.

Wertik
07-20-2007, 12:35 PM
Has everyone forgotten how a new challenge is supposed to work. They produce a new quest and expect you to learn it. This requires players to use their brains, not just zerrgg through the quest for the high xp. I took my Lvl 14 Cleric through it only moments after the servers came online, and even though I used a ton of Spellpoints, I learned alot about the quest and how if you rush ahead the mobs will kill you. Fortunately, I did not do this. I took my time and dungeon crawled the thing and came out unscathed do to acid resitance, nightshield and blade barrier. Cometfall for the guys high out of reach and I was certainly glad to come across the shrine. It is well placed though. Once again, good job developers on this dungeon and the rest of you quit whining because you zergers can't just blast through a quest. TEAMWORK is the key.....

hunter_Gren
07-20-2007, 12:57 PM
I'm with virtually everyone else who's posted here. The quest is pretty cool, nice length, difficult but not over the top at appropriate level. 3 level 14s having trouble with this on normal is absolutely mind boggling.

Agreed.

I ran this with a pug of lvl 4-7. None of us had done the quest before. Was a lil tough but no big deal. Having ran threw it would be cake now with the same lvl group. BTW I think it was a blast, havn't ran a quest where at least one person didn't know it like the back of there hand in a long time.

wamjratl1
07-20-2007, 01:07 PM

Just disable it before before you pull the switch downstairs. Or don't croos the bridge - use the ledges on the outside wall. But best to disable it before the switch.

Arianrhod
07-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Has everyone forgotten how a new challenge is supposed to work. They produce a new quest and expect you to learn it. This requires players to use their brains, not just zerrgg through the quest for the high xp. I took my Lvl 14 Cleric through it only moments after the servers came online, and even though I used a ton of Spellpoints, I learned alot about the quest and how if you rush ahead the mobs will kill you. Fortunately, I did not do this. I took my time and dungeon crawled the thing and came out unscathed do to acid resitance, nightshield and blade barrier. Cometfall for the guys high out of reach and I was certainly glad to come across the shrine. It is well placed though. Once again, good job developers on this dungeon and the rest of you quit whining because you zergers can't just blast through a quest. TEAMWORK is the key.....

"new challenge"? It's a level 4 quest. If you want a clear idea of what kind of "challenge" it is, go to a brand new server where you don't know anyone, create a 28-point character, & level it to 4. Then try the quest (solo, if you really like a challenge). A level 14 cleric should be able to "zerg" it with the new nightshield & elemental resists/protects. It's not a question of how tough it is for a 14; rather of whether the "challenge" is appropriate for a level 4 quest.

Olaff
07-20-2007, 01:34 PM
Just disable it before before you pull the switch downstairs. Or don't croos the bridge - use the ledges on the outside wall. But best to disable it before the switch.

True...

What I should have said was "the box is on the far side of the traps." :)

Cruzer
07-20-2007, 02:06 PM
I don't think this thread would have grown nearly as big if one of the first few posts hadn't been from people that couldn't finish it with a lvl 14. If thats the case you should probably uninstall DDO and throw the disc out.

As for level 4-6, this quest isn't impossible, but there are easier missions to do at level 4 for 3-3.5k xp that doesn't require you to be a MM pin-cushion. It was fun to run through a new, semi-maze quest though.

captain1
07-20-2007, 02:07 PM
to acurately measure the difficulty of this quest, you need to run with characters as low as possible. A level 14 is expected to get thru this on normal. That being said I did complete normal and hard with a full group of levels 3-5 (as I stated earlier in the post) it was easy enuff. yes the acid does a lot of damage but only if you walk in it....which you dont have to...at all......ever.

Kaish
07-20-2007, 10:09 PM
That quest is kinda nice, but the level of difficulty is insane. There is no way a lvl 4 group can go through all that. The acid pool can do up to 40 point of damage a second, event with very high acid resist, the damage was impressive.

The caster cast spam fear and magic missile. Again, the quest is nice, but it is definitively not a level 4 quest. It is more of a level 8 on normal.

The quest level should be reviewed. It make no sense to see lvl 14 die on normal in a lvl 4 quest :(

thewoz
07-20-2007, 11:38 PM
We did the Proof quest last night on normal...group of six: None twinked...all played with loot they've earned only.

Lvl 4 Fighter
Lvl 4 Paladin
Lvl 4 Wizard
Lvl 2 Cleric
Lvl 2 Rogue
Lvl 2 Sorceror

It was pretty darn brutal (understatement)! We made it through, but only after quite a few deaths. My lvl 4 fighter must have taken about 1,000 hps of damage from Melfs after I ran out of the couple acid resistance potions I had. Not sure if we missed any, but we only found one shrine....made it tough for spellcasters especially.

After finishing that, four of us ran the four Depths. It was like taking candy from a baby compared to Proof - the 2 lvl 5s were not even close to the challenge of Proof.

I did think it was a pretty cool design. I think it should have had one or two more shrines and could have used a better end reward for the effort.

Go in with acid resistance, something to absorb magic missiles, and some mnem potions for casters or a stash of wands! Also, be ready to deal with lots of dancing and fear!

Riorik
07-23-2007, 06:53 AM

Maybe the quote was intended for the Pit - but isn't there like 4+ in there?

The character I had running thru the quest had True Sight on constantly - and I didn't spot anything even though that was the intent being wearing the goggles.

Talcyndl
07-23-2007, 11:56 AM
I ran it last night with a group originally consisting of my level 5 Cleric, a level 4 Ranger, and level 3 and 5 fighters. We got through most of it fine - tough fights, but doable. The only problems we had were in the acid rooms not really knowing how damaging the acid could be.

We were joined by two other guildies with level 5 fighters for the last bits and rolled through - again except for getting greedy and trying to get some barrels in one of the acid rooms. :D

All in all, a really fun quest.

Talon_Moonshadow
07-23-2007, 12:41 PM
Ran it on elite with 2 lvl 14's. A little challenging at times, but we did ok. The Pure Ranger got beat up with MM a lot. My multi-class giy had sheild on him, so I took less damage.
However, this would be a very tough quest for lvl 4-6. At least for newbies without MMO plat and handme down items. Plus good tactice would be a must.....something I see high lvl groups lacking a lot of too.
The acid is avoidable, but not everyone is a good jumper......ther's no room for error with that much damage. My lvl 14 has a great jump skill and I still fell in the acid....but that's cause of my real life lack of dexerity....and flacky keyboard.
I thought it was a fun quest, but I really think it is more challenging than it's lvl suggests.