PDA

View Full Version : PvP

tekn0mage
07-18-2007, 02:16 PM
No PvP is a monument of failure. Do not expect to see any changes to it anytime soon.

5footStep
07-18-2007, 02:17 PM
I don't PvP very often but when I do I am always dissapointed some of my favorite spells are banned from PvP. Grease of course being one of them. Why can we not open all spells open to use in PvP? Spawn our defenders or familiars? I think it would make the useage of the PvP arenas way more fun for everyone.

Ziggy
07-18-2007, 02:17 PM
I don't PvP very often but when I do I am always dissapointed some of my favorite spells are banned from PvP. Grease of course being one of them. Why can we not open all spells open to use in PvP? Spawn our defenders or familiars? I think it would make the useage of the PvP arenas way more fun for everyone.

You can use those spells in the deathmatch and capture the flag. unfortunately in the tavern brawls they are excluded.

sigtrent
07-18-2007, 02:19 PM
you can use them, just not in the tavern..

I beleive it is because environmental persistant effects are not target based, and thus there is a possiblility that the crowd around the PVP area can be effected. Also there are lag issues with persistant spell effects.. (buff a tavern full of players and you will see what I mean). So I think to keep the crowd safe and prevent a lagfest they took out certain spells.

You can use all of them in the arena fights though.

tekn0mage
07-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Can't use curse, blindness either. Suppose that has something to do with.... nevermind all your logic fails to explain that one.

Again, failed monument.

Lorien_the_First_One
07-18-2007, 02:30 PM
I'm not a PVP type but part of the reason I don't PVP is the spell restrictions. We don't stop the fighters from using their vorpals...if all is fair, all is fair....

As for fan safety, if you don't want to risk death, don't come watch :D

Shade
07-18-2007, 05:17 PM
I'm not a PVP type but part of the reason I don't PVP is the spell restrictions. We don't stop the fighters from using their vorpals...if all is fair, all is fair....

You could if you ran the tangleroot chain.

PvP in its current form is poorly implemented. People only ever tavern brawl because deathmatch is obscenely difficult to set up and work correctly, and has absolutely no options to select different maps, rounds, time limits or kill limits.. When you do manage to get lucky and have it work, its always the same.

Thermopyle
07-18-2007, 05:32 PM
Long time listener first time caller.
Doesn't deathblock work against vorpal in PvP?

member(heh) of Role Players on Khyber
Thermopyle Felonius Monk 12/2 Pally/Fighter
Meylene 7 Bard
The Blind Watchmakers on Xoriat
Regulator 7 Drow Pally

Huh?

DKerrigan
07-18-2007, 08:25 PM
Tavern Brawls were built for DD casters and melee...you can't use any movement slowing spells to contain melee because then it's griefing that they can't get to you to right click away...you can't use status effects like blindness (casters killed my tank in melee!/cry). Don't get me started on wizzys and no spot characters being able to see a 40+ sneak rogue plain as day...

And since PvP is the redheaded step child in DDO (after ranged combat ;) ;) ) they'll never revamp the arena battles to allow you to select the group size you want on the front end...forcing you to wait 5 1/2 minutes while it whittles down the options to 1 v 1; instead of allowing you to select that from the jump. Would easily be accomplished by modeling it after a quest...with a raid flag required for 6 v 6 down to 3 v 4 and no raid flag accepted for 3 v 3 to 1 v 1 while denying entry to solo players (or not...why can't someone stand around in an instance for 5 minutes twiddling their thumbs) with a "quest entry screen" to allow your party to enter the same instance... (what fun is PvP if you can't call your opponent a n00b over VC anyway)

DKerrigan
07-18-2007, 08:27 PM
Can't use curse, blindness either. Suppose that has something to do with.... nevermind all your logic fails to explain that one.

Again, failed monument.

IIRC, I had a curse thrown on me on Adar when I was in PvP though it was on a timer and not a persistant effect as in the "real world."

Atreeson
07-19-2007, 01:16 PM
Long time listener first time caller.
Doesn't deathblock work against vorpal in PvP?

member(heh) of Role Players on Khyber
Thermopyle Felonius Monk 12/2 Pally/Fighter
Meylene 7 Bard
The Blind Watchmakers on Xoriat
Regulator 7 Drow Pally

Huh?

Correct.

AEschyl
07-19-2007, 01:31 PM
No PvP is a monument of failure. Do not expect to see any changes to it anytime soon.

let me say first off that i LOVE pvp'ing

when i played swg.. ALL i did (and i mean all) was pvp and hunt jedi (other characters).

that said, if turbine used people and resources to "fix" or "Balance" pvp right now... and doing that meant that a publish got pushed back even later.. or something else got overlooked on the "pve" side of the game.. i'd be ****ed

now there's no way to prove that any of this does or doesnt happen... but you get my point

pvp has zero place in a "dungeons and dragons" setting.. and it's only there "for fun" and entertainment - no more, no less

the reason the leaderboard was taken down (in my opinion) was because having something like that meant they would need to put actual effort into making pvp a real part of the game, because we would crucify them (and eachother) if the "PVP LEADERBOARD" didnt reflect a true assessment of eachother's pvp abilities and skills (and luck)... hence they realized they didnt want to take a chance of pvp "taking away from" the real meat of ddo.. and quickly did away with it.

if you want a pvp-based game.. go play SWG, or wait for warhammer online to come out.

Ziggy
07-19-2007, 01:33 PM
the reason the leaderboard was taken down (in my opinion) was because having something like that meant they would need to put actual effort into making pvp a real part of the game, because we would crucify them (and eachother) if the "PVP LEADERBOARD" didnt reflect a true assessment of eachother's pvp abilities and skills (and luck)... hence they realized they didnt want to take a chance of pvp "taking away from" the real meat of ddo.. and quickly did away with it.

Nah the leaderboard wa taken down as well as the character display because it trashed the forum servers.

Seriously.. i mean it... It was slower then load time in the gianthold during prime time on your server.

bandyman1
07-19-2007, 02:35 PM
Ummm....I blind melee all the time.