PDA

View Full Version : Diplomacy Vs. Bluff

simon043
07-17-2007, 08:35 PM
Hey,

I'm gonna make a straight rogue. I have a question about Diplomacy and Bluff.

How do they work differently?
Which is better for a Rogue (Sneak attack and all)?
Can I use them both and alternate between each so I can keep the guys off me for a longer time?

Ziggy
07-17-2007, 08:50 PM
Hey,

I'm gonna make a straight rogue. I have a question about Diplomacy and Bluff.

How do they work differently?
Which is better for a Rogue (Sneak attack and all)?
Can I use them both and alternate between each so I can keep the guys off me for a longer time?
Yes you can use them both.

They both will work with your sneak attack, as long as you have someone else in your party(for the most part).

Im pretty sure both diplomacy and bluff work off of charisma.

I would say choose 1 and max it out.

My human rogue/paladin mix took bluff as he has also taken Improved Feint(a feat that allows you to use a shorter animation for bluff, and is on a seperate timer then bluff). However it requires a total of 2 feats to make it work.

Kaldaka
07-18-2007, 12:29 AM
Yes diplomacy and bluff are CHA skills.

Diplomacy works by when you use it at the beginning of a battle, the enemy is less likely to attack you. This is good as a rogue because they will have their back to you from the beginning of the battle. This can then be supplemented by Bluff if they do start attacking you (Diplomacy doesn't help if you start beating on them). You can then use bluff to get them to turn around, so you can get a sneak attack in, but only one as they will then turn around again to go after you. They both are useful for a rogue to have, as the sneak attack tends to be the highest damage producer for a rogue. They are also useful during NPC conversations whether in quest or not. A good example is during the level 14 quest Crucible, if you have good skills in diplomacy and intimidation, you can make the end fight a lot easier by having one of the enemies not show up and another one take off his armor before the fight.

Symar-FangofLloth
07-18-2007, 03:48 PM
Um, no, diplomacy works any time during the battle. If successful it causes the enemies to stop attacking you for 6 seconds. After that if you draw aggro again they'll come back to you. I use it on my bard all the time. Bluff does not change aggro, but allows sneak attacks to work on affected mobs even if they are aggro'd on you. I'd think you would be better off with bluff, but if you regularly run with a couple of tanks diplomacy could work too.

Hvymetal
07-21-2007, 06:22 AM
My Rogue uses Diplomacy, I didnt take improved feint. I use it all the time, before the fight starts I can charge in jump over the mobs and hit diplomacy, watch the mobs make a bee-line for the tanks, if I start to pull aggro from a tank hit it again and wait a few seconds for the tank to get a firm grip on the aggro I just switched back onto him, also works great to get even with the guildie wizzy that just greased you, go round up a bunch of mobs, stand next to the soon to be soulstone and hit diplomacy and go watch him run around like a chicken with his head cut off:D