PDA

View Full Version : Unable to swing weapon if cursor not on main screen

daydrmrzzz
07-17-2007, 01:58 PM
I use a joystick, with the single attack button mapped to the trigger. if the mouse cursor is over anything other than the main screen, I cannot swing the weapon. This includes the hot bars, the examination orb, the chat box, the XP bar, the map, the die, the quest info box, etc. It can be very frustrating to realize, after trying to make a couple of swings, that the cursor is over the Xp bar. So you quickly grab the mouse to move the cursor and try again. Whoops, it landed on the quest info window. Move it agin, oops, examination orb. "you have died!" is there any way to make the "Single Attack" key (whatever it's mapped to) work regardless of where the mouse cursor is located?

Magus_d
07-17-2007, 02:05 PM
I don't use controllers much, but I would guess that you are actually mapping the "right click" action; which is the default attack action. Since there is not an "attack" option I do not think what you are asking for is possible.

Then again I've been known to be wrong before. Last time I was wrong the world exploded and we ended up here.

Missing_Minds
07-17-2007, 02:13 PM
I don't use controllers much, but I would guess that you are actually mapping the "right click" action; which is the default attack action. Since there is not an "attack" option I do not think what you are asking for is possible.

Then again I've been known to be wrong before. Last time I was wrong the world exploded and we ended up here.

Wrong, Magus. :) He is absolutely correct. This screw over got introduced with Mod 3. The only standard attack button not effected is the twitching mouse click. If you use a keyboard, joy stick, or what have you, and the mouse is over something that is not the main window (ie. hotbar, map, character health bars, etc.) you are screwed and can NOT attack.

I've been bugging this for months, never gotten any response from a dev or what have you. The fact it is so flipping easy to reproduce I just don't get why the frell don't they fix it. I would seriously lose a hot bar button just to be able to attack whenever I hit the dam button if that would fix it and hot bar space is precious to me.

Coldin
07-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Man, I really wish they would fix that. I've gotten used to it for the most part, but it's still a nuisance.

While we're on the subject of mouse clicking, it'd also be nice if they could address the problem where clicking into open screen space will not remove focus away from the text window. Actually, if you're typing something, you can't do anything until you either send the message or click some other part of the UI. I hate typing something to the guild while in a dungeon, then get jumped by a rogue bugbear and end up saying "wwqqqwwasssddeewwqwqwdasweqwsd" to the guild.

KoboldKiller
07-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Man, I really wish they would fix that. I've gotten used to it for the most part, but it's still a nuisance.

While we're on the subject of mouse clicking, it'd also be nice if they could address the problem where clicking into open screen space will not remove focus away from the text window. Actually, if you're typing something, you can't do anything until you either send the message or click some other part of the UI. I hate typing something to the guild while in a dungeon, then get jumped by a rogue bugbear and end up saying "wwqqqwwasssddeewwqwqwdasweqwsd" to the guild.

/SIGNED

Magus_d
07-17-2007, 02:33 PM
If you use a keyboard, joy stick, or what have you, and the mouse is over something that is not the main window (ie. hotbar, map, character health bars, etc.) you are screwed and can NOT attack.

I don't think I said what I was trying to say. To my knowledge there is not an "attack" action by itself. The attack is a "right click" action by default. So by remapping the attack to a button on the controller you are still telling the game to right click. So if your cursor is over a hot bar you are trying to right click whatever is on that hotbar. The same as if its over the focus orb, you are telling the game to right click the focus orb. Right clicking has no other action other than attack.

I did a quick login to check this out by remapping my attack to another button; I used M on my keyboard. It worked the same as the OP stated. Nothing happened. I'm guessing that if we could see the code we would see a "right click" command being sent when I press M.

I'm not saying that it isn't a bug, I'm just thinking that it won't be able to be fixed the way you are asking it to be fixed.

swooshrp
07-17-2007, 02:36 PM
One additional item thats needs to be fixed on targetting party members is that with F keys you can select and deselect a member. Hitting the F2 key should target the party member and hitting F2 again shoud NOT deselect but maintain the target.

As a cleric I hate accidently hitting the F2 twice in the mix of combat and end up healing myself for over 300 hps...what a waste!

The selection should be constant. Deselecting should only be done by ESC or selecting something else. Every other MMO I have played does this...

PurdueDave
07-17-2007, 03:44 PM

/SIGNED & /SIGNED

Gol
07-17-2007, 03:51 PM
it's not just a joystick problem, it's also a keyboard problem.

I'm a keyboard gamer and always attack by key spamming instead of right-click spamming. if i forget and leave the mouse curser over any UI element that's not the main 3D window of DDO, I can't attack.

Note, however, you can still do special combat manuevers such as Trip, Stun, etc, as long as they're hotbarred.

dormetheus
07-17-2007, 06:14 PM

YES, /SIGNED.

Also, is there anyway we can choose which tooltips we want activated. I hate getting (rooster)blocked by the tool tip every time I want to cast.

Mad_Bombardier
07-17-2007, 06:17 PM
Also, is there anyway we can choose which tooltips we want activated. I hate getting (rooster)blocked by the tool tip every time I want to cast.You can lengthen the tooltip delay. Even 1.0 second is a pretty noticable delay and less likely to interfere *** casting.

Ekental
07-17-2007, 07:23 PM
Bind "T" to a joystiq key and toggle mouse look on and off.

Wyoman
07-17-2007, 07:52 PM
It does effect the mouse right button. I know because i have a bad habit of running my mouse curser off screen or over my hotbars and then realize i cant attack because of it.

Missing_Minds
07-18-2007, 07:41 AM
One additional item thats needs to be fixed on targetting party members is that with F keys you can select and deselect a member. Hitting the F2 key should target the party member and hitting F2 again shoud NOT deselect but maintain the target.

As a cleric I hate accidently hitting the F2 twice in the mix of combat and end up healing myself for over 300 hps...what a waste!

The selection should be constant. Deselecting should only be done by ESC or selecting something else. Every other MMO I have played does this...

The F1-F12 actually got a dev responce, so I'd say please no more derailing this thread. Select/deselect has been in the game since I've been playing. This issue at hand got introduced in mod 3 and they've been ignoring it even though it greatly affects game play.