PDA

View Full Version : Release After Death Button

barecm
07-16-2007, 06:59 AM
Ok, how many times am I going to be inadvertantly released because the button showed up over where I was clicking when I died? This last time was during a Titan run, 90% finished. No way to get back inside... This mechanic has been so poorly designed from the get-go, gets plenty of complaints, but yet remains unchanged. I just cannot understand it. Why would you superimpose a release button on top of a screen where the gamer is currently clicking? At least make it a 2 click click kind of thing like "are you sure you want to release?" in a different area of the screen that the original button popped. I swear I just do not understand the lack of judgement in the design choices made in this game. This is not really rocket science here we are talking about and should be fairly easy to fix... like within a year, no?

Hendrik
07-16-2007, 07:44 AM
A pain to be sure. Annoyance even. I just move the release box out of the way and don't have to worry about it for the remaining of the session.

Be nice is the position would/could be saved.

Inkblack
07-16-2007, 08:03 AM
I'll repeat what's been suggested before:

DEVS: Please integrate the release button with the Recall/Finish button, including the activation time so we can cancel. Please.

Ink

Hendrik
07-16-2007, 09:01 AM
I'll repeat what's been suggested before:

DEVS: Please integrate the release button with the Recall/Finish button, including the activation time so we can cancel. Please.

Ink

Good suggestion! Add a Release button to the Quest UI, just to left of Finish?

Karethon
07-16-2007, 09:10 AM
A pain to be sure. Annoyance even. I just move the release box out of the way and don't have to worry about it for the remaining of the session.

Be nice is the position would/could be saved.

That works fine, as long as you have an opportunity to move the release box before you accidentally click it. Even though I'm capped on several characters, I'm not going to /death or jump in the PVP pit every time I log on to go run a quest - I shouldn't have to do it, and my party shouldn't have to wait for me to refill HP and SP from the death. Until the position of the release box can be saved, I personally don't consider this even a workaround.

Hendrik
07-16-2007, 09:21 AM
That works fine, as long as you have an opportunity to move the release box before you accidentally click it. Even though I'm capped on several characters, I'm not going to /death or jump in the PVP pit every time I log on to go run a quest - I shouldn't have to do it, and my party shouldn't have to wait for me to refill HP and SP from the death. Until the position of the release box can be saved, I personally don't consider this even a workaround.

Oh I agree. When I accidently hit Release, I curse like a drunken sailor! Didn't mean to imply a intentional /death just so you could save it, meant during normal gameplay.

What we need to do is bring some attention to the idea of a redesign of the Release button. It's removal and reintegration elsewhere or at least have the popup position saved from session to session.

Inkblack
07-16-2007, 10:18 AM
Good suggestion! Add a Release button to the Quest UI, just to left of Finish?

Actually, since Recall/Finish is disabled and greyed out when you're dead, just replace the greyed out button with a Release button. We're already used to not hitting that button by accident.

Ink

barecm
07-16-2007, 10:20 AM
It is so poorly designed, it is laughable. I am not sure who came up with the idea or why it was allowed into the game to begin with, but I think it would have been changed by now. There have been plenty of UI fixes over the past year + for other stuff less intrusive, I am truly amazed on how this have been left unfixed. And yes, in my opinion, it is a game break. I can take a hit on xp every once and a while, but being zapped out of a raid I cannot return to simply because the UI design is garbage.... not very good. I just wasted about an hour of my time because of this ridiculously bad design. And yes, people have been screaming about this for a long, long time with no resolution (shocker) from Turbine. Not even on the list of stuff to be fixed either.

Cinwulf
07-16-2007, 10:28 AM
Although this has never happened to me, I can see where it would be a pain in the butt. :p

bigal4458
07-16-2007, 10:31 AM
Signed.

WilbyZ
07-16-2007, 10:40 AM
Make the Release Dialogue box appear in the same location as the Greater Teleport Dialogue box would be a very good start! (ie, Top Left hand corner!)

Karethon
07-16-2007, 11:34 AM
Oh I agree. When I accidently hit Release, I curse like a drunken sailor! Didn't mean to imply a intentional /death just so you could save it, meant during normal gameplay.

What we need to do is bring some attention to the idea of a redesign of the Release button. It's removal and reintegration elsewhere or at least have the popup position saved from session to session.

I apologize if my response sounded a bit curt, in re-reading it I can see that it might be taken that way. Unfortunately, I have had this discussion before, and it usually evolves into three camps: those that agree that is an issue; those that it hasn't happened to, but can see how it could be an issue; and those that think that if it does happen to you, you must be doing something wrong because there is no problem with the release mechanic.

Just this weekend we had a party member accidentally release from the Twilight Forge. Fortunately it was early enough into the run that we could send someone to teleport him back, and they could pick up medallions to join up with the rest of the group. The downside was that he released right as we were starting the green puzzle, so we couldn't spare the caster for a while - leaving him sitting out for a good 15 minutes or so.

barecm
07-16-2007, 11:46 AM
I apologize if my response sounded a bit curt, in re-reading it I can see that it might be taken that way. Unfortunately, I have had this discussion before, and it usually evolves into three camps: those that agree that is an issue; those that it hasn't happened to, but can see how it could be an issue; and those that think that if it does happen to you, you must be doing something wrong because there is no problem with the release mechanic.

Just this weekend we had a party member accidentally release from the Twilight Forge. Fortunately it was early enough into the run that we could send someone to teleport him back, and they could pick up medallions to join up with the rest of the group. The downside was that he released right as we were starting the green puzzle, so we couldn't spare the caster for a while - leaving him sitting out for a good 15 minutes or so.

It happened to my group doing the Titan itself and we were almost done. The issue is that it happened so fast there was really no time to react. The button appeared while I was clicking my hotbar (to heal myself) and then bam, bam dead and released. No way to get back... I was not the only person this happened to during the raid at the same time.

Hendrik
07-16-2007, 11:53 AM
I've encountered the same problem in TF you both describe.

Been there done that - like so many others I'm sure.

Best way to try and get this issue addressed is to try, again it seems, to bring it up to the DEV's. Ask for some attention, feasability, feedback, and maybe, just maybe someone might pop in and let us know if it's possible or even in development. No offence, complaining/flaming about it, or anything, won't get the attention we need. Get more flies with sugar vs. salt.

So yes, I would love for a change in this. At least the Release dialog box to be saved from session to session would be a start.

Anyone know what DEV is in charge of UI or whom best to pass our request to?

Coldin
07-16-2007, 12:13 PM
I think just a confirmation box would be more than enough to stop people from accidently releasing.

Karethon
07-16-2007, 12:28 PM
I think just a confirmation box would be more than enough to stop people from accidently releasing.

I agree. The game already prompts if you decide to recall or finish out of a quest, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue to have the same question after pressing the release button. The alternatives would be to give releasing a countdown that is interruptable (like recalling), or changing the recall/finish button to release while you are dead/incapacitated. Not knowing anything about the coding side, I don't know which - if any - of these are viable.

Any kind of dev feedback on the issue would be great.

Rickpa
07-16-2007, 04:39 PM
This is huge!

I hate spamming spells at mobs and without notice, I am in a tavern. At the very least, get it out of my click zone!

Gimpster
07-16-2007, 05:12 PM
Yes, that's really on the level of UI design 101: "Optimize for the common case".

Users will very rarely want to release after death- and if they do want to release, they won't be in a hurry about it. The penalty for an inadvertent release can be substantial. So naturally, there should be a 2 or 3 click confirmation process to declare you want to release out.

OKCRandy1
07-16-2007, 08:53 PM
Ok, how many times am I going to be inadvertantly released because the button showed up over where I was clicking when I died? This last time was during a Titan run, 90% finished. No way to get back inside... This mechanic has been so poorly designed from the get-go, gets plenty of complaints, but yet remains unchanged. I just cannot understand it. Why would you superimpose a release button on top of a screen where the gamer is currently clicking? At least make it a 2 click click kind of thing like "are you sure you want to release?" in a different area of the screen that the original button popped. I swear I just do not understand the lack of judgement in the design choices made in this game. This is not really rocket science here we are talking about and should be fairly easy to fix... like within a year, no?

/agree

Time for the fix to be included in a patch, several great suggestions through the thread, any one of which would solve the problem.