PDA

View Full Version : what all do Banishing weapons work on?

tc12
07-16-2007, 01:37 AM
So at the start of the last loot weekend, I ran two gianthold quests and came back for two end rewards and pulled banishing rapiers for both. I've never used banishers, but see on the Tharashk Marketplace forums a couple of people have this on their "really want" list of trade items for the stuff they have to offer. This surprised me a bit. Obviously for an effect that needs a crit to land, a rapier is great -- but I didn't realize banishing could be so usefull. Until this I'd only tried it with my ranger and a shortbow, to little effect.

So trade value aside, what creature types do banishers work with? I don't plan to run Invaders any more, and there aren't a lot of those types of render/reavers in Gianthold where current end-game action is. So I must be missing something as to the usefullness of banishing. Can anyone list what creatures these are effective with? Having two rapiers I'd be happy to keep one and use is effectively, besided using one for the apparent trade value.

Thanks.

TC

Oh yes, and if you're on Tharashk and *really* in need of upgrading to a banishing rapier, as I said I do have one to spare so would entertain offers. :)

EightyFour
07-16-2007, 02:31 AM
Elementals, Mephits, Fire Reaver, Ice Flenser, Flesh Renders, Thaarak Hounds, Hell Hounds, Quori stalkers, Fire Efreeti, bezekira, jarilith

EightyFour
07-16-2007, 02:33 AM
Elementals, Mephits, Fire Reaver, Ice Flenser, Flesh Renders, Thaarak Hounds, Hell Hounds, Quori stalkers, Fire Efreeti, marut, bezekira, and jarilith.

Ekental
07-16-2007, 04:19 AM
To.. elaborate on the weapon effect.
Any non-natural/bound "outsider" with 24HD or less. I.E. On normal difficulty, "Elder Air Elementals" may be banished. On Elite, they are immune to the weapon effect.

You uh.. can't banish the Marut, nor do I believe, the Quori stalkers.

List:
Elementals: Fire/Air/Etc.
Demons: Flesh Renders, Ice Flensers, Fire Reavers, Jarilith, Hell Hounds
Elemental Outsiders?: Bezikira, Mephits (Fire/Air/Etc)
Planar Outsiders: Thaarak Hounds (Xoriat), Efreeti (Fernia), Djinni
Fiend-Blooded Creatures: Fiendish Troll, Fiendish Spider, etc etc etc

Hypothetically, any creature with outsider blood is banishable. Generally, anything with "Outsider" in their inspection screen is banishable. This is not always the case, just a good indicator.

tihocan
07-16-2007, 09:35 AM
Currently it's extremely useful when doing the Reaver raid, at least on normal. Even if you see a LFM for caster only, you should be able to get in if you have a banishing rapier and improved crit: pierce ;)

Roguewiz
07-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Any non-natural/bound "outsider" with 24HD or less. I.E. On normal difficulty, "Elder Air Elementals" may be banished. On Elite, they are immune to the weapon effect.

You uh.. can't banish the Marut, nor do I believe, the Quori stalkers.

List:

Hypothetically, any creature with outsider blood is banishable. Generally, anything with "Outsider" in their inspection screen is banishable. This is not always the case, just a good indicator.

The spell "Dismissal" does work on the Marut in VoN. At least it used to.

EightyFour
07-16-2007, 11:51 AM
It dose work on the murut, just not on the one in PoP, and not anymore in VoN3 sense they changed it. The one in PoP is in his home plane, and the VoN3 guy got changed because that's the way the cookie crumbles.

As for the Quori stalkers, go test it in VoN2 and get back to me.

tc12
07-16-2007, 12:07 PM

Are they immune because their HD > 24 on elite, or just a special immunity given?

List:

So are most of these still < 24 HD on elites? My ranger is capped, so until the next max level increase I really wouldn't be running much of anything other than elites. My rogue just hit 12th and picked up IC:pierced, so he's my current focus for where this will/won't work. I'm currently doing the relic grind mainly. He does need to do the Invader token grind too for the ring, looks like that will be a handy time.

Ekental
07-16-2007, 09:43 PM
Yes, elite elder air elementals have more than 24 HD, which is why they aren't banishable by your weapon.

Everything on the 2nd list is banishable even on elite, bar some of the named versions.

You'll want to dual-wield them if possible, they save too much.