PDA

View Full Version : What is DPS

KoboldKiller
07-13-2007, 05:43 PM
I know this may be a silly question and I looked but there are 500 threads with DPS in it. I assume it has something to do with damage per swing or some such?

JelloMold
07-13-2007, 05:46 PM
I've actually wondered the same. My conclusion is either per swing or second.

Either way, it means killing stuff

Mad_Bombardier
07-13-2007, 05:49 PM
It's Damage Per Second. But, unless the poster has calculated his swing times for the time portion of the equation he basically means hitting for big numbers.

KoboldKiller
07-13-2007, 05:51 PM
Thank you for the clarification. On a side note I assume all this can be increased by equipment and is limited to your build? Such as my finesse Ranger won't ever have as high a DPS as my Pali.

Mad_Bombardier
07-13-2007, 05:52 PM
On a side note I assume all this can be increased by equipment and is limited to your build? Such as my finesse Ranger won't ever have as high a DPS as my Pali.Correct. :)

KoboldKiller
07-13-2007, 05:53 PM
Again I thank you for your response.

PurdueDave
07-13-2007, 06:57 PM
I don't know of too many people who track damage over time. DPS (damage per second) is just slang carried over from other games (that actually express damage that way). "High DPS" means you deal a lot of damage. In other games it can apply to spell or weapon damage, in DDO it's almost always used in reference to weapon damage.

MathGeek
07-13-2007, 07:17 PM
Again, DPS depends on your build and your equipment. If your Paladin uses a shield and a longsword, but your Ranger wields a rapier and a shortsword, the ranger may end up doing more DPS due to the higher number of attacks (especially if you don't skimp on your finesse Ranger's strength.)

Thank you for the clarification. On a side note I assume all this can be increased by equipment and is limited to your build? Such as my finesse Ranger won't ever have as high a DPS as my Pali.

Zack77
07-13-2007, 08:01 PM
Actually, DPS normally refers to Damage Per Swing, since I doubt most people will stand there and fight a monster equal to their current level and calculate their swing time, then find the average of damage they do over that combat round. So, yes DPS normally refers to hitting big number's, like a lvl 14 Barbarian with max'd Power Attack, all the THF feat's, maxed str, double raged, ect. and the DPS will be the highest damage they can do on a crit.

for example: A lvl 14 Dwarf barbarian with BPA III, Power Rage IV, Dwarven Axe Damage II, an average str(18 base+3 from lvl+5 str item+2 favor/raid tome+6 Greater Rage+4 Power Rage=38+2 from rage clickie/potion/spell=40 Temp strength. (which is average for a barbarian btw)) and a +5 Greataxe.

Damage per non-crit swing:1d12+(15 str mod*1.5)+5 weapon+8 PA+2 Enhancement= 38~49 damage per swing while self-buffed and raged.

Damage per crit swing:3(1d12+(15 str mod*1.5)+5 weapon+8 PA+2 Enhancement)=114~147 damage per crit while self-buffed and raged.

What I'm trying to point out is, yes, DPS is determined by build and equipment, and I'm showing what it normally stands for and a typical way of calculating it.

Ekental
07-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Please note, DDO floors modified str mods, so working that into your equation is important.

I'd also suggest using average dmg/swing, since that usually gives you a better idea of weapon dmg.

Finally, converting this all to Dmg/sec is important as well, since 2-h, 1-h, and TWF all have different attack speeds.

Aranticus
07-14-2007, 01:26 AM
Actually, DPS normally refers to Damage Per Swing, since I doubt most people will stand there and fight a monster equal to their current level and calculate their swing time, then find the average of damage they do over that combat round. So, yes DPS normally refers to hitting big number's, like a lvl 14 Barbarian with max'd Power Attack, all the THF feat's, maxed str, double raged, ect. and the DPS will be the highest damage they can do on a crit.

for example: A lvl 14 Dwarf barbarian with BPA III, Power Rage IV, Dwarven Axe Damage II, an average str(18 base+3 from lvl+5 str item+2 favor/raid tome+6 Greater Rage+4 Power Rage=38+2 from rage clickie/potion/spell=40 Temp strength. (which is average for a barbarian btw)) and a +5 Greataxe.

Damage per non-crit swing:1d12+(15 str mod*1.5)+5 weapon+8 PA+2 Enhancement= 38~49 damage per swing while self-buffed and raged.

Damage per crit swing:3(1d12+(15 str mod*1.5)+5 weapon+8 PA+2 Enhancement)=114~147 damage per crit while self-buffed and raged.

What I'm trying to point out is, yes, DPS is determined by build and equipment, and I'm showing what it normally stands for and a typical way of calculating it.

dps is mainly used on tanks but it also depends on context ie "my group lacks a caster n thus low in dps". the dps in this case would not be damage per swing but second (casters seldom swing weapons). much of the spells who deals damage over time hits the mobs on the second. ie you throw down a firewall, you see the 1st damage being done, next time number appears will be after 1 second (for the base damage, fringe damage can appear in conjunction with the base damage too)

gorloch
07-14-2007, 09:52 AM
I have always seen caster and such calculated in with this being referred as damage per second. Also the one giving the highest DPS seems to attract the most aggro. Why playing a DPS rogue can get very interesting.

P