PDA

View Full Version : Take it to the next level.

joker965
07-13-2007, 11:08 AM
I was dreaming of something that could really take DDO to a new level and I think I might have something.

What if on certain days the devs or support people could take control of end bosses in the quests and raids?

The times that the "controlers" were on could be posted. The controlers would then randomly take over the end boss as a party got to the fight.

Possibly the creature would get a purple star over it's head or something.

Can you immagine the "Oh shi*" factor that would come into play as the DQ or the titan got a little purple star just at that special moment?

Wouldn't that make this game and the combat that much more awsome if the DM was really a person once in a while?

Ziggy
07-13-2007, 11:10 AM
THis would be awesome.

ID love to fight the titan with a real person behind it.

ALthough that would be real tough, would require more then 8 pillars.:D

Prinstoni
07-13-2007, 11:14 AM
OMG That would be sick...

It could be fun, but I think the Titan or DQ with a real person behind it would be unbeatable. It would need to be some lower level boss to give us a chance to compete against it.

Even the TS end boss could be brutal, with a real person behind it all he'd have to do is knock everyone away from the puzzle and the quest would be incompletable.

Of course. I would take that challange anyday. As long as we were correclty rewarded for the fight. Like say...maybe the chest next to the regular /roll chest was a higher loot chest?

I'm game...

Dariun
07-13-2007, 11:18 AM
Or what if Turbine developed some sort of neat PvP variation where some players could control monsters and battle other players?

Ziggy
07-13-2007, 11:19 AM
Or what if Turbine developed some sort of neat PvP variation where some players could control monsters and battle other players?
Id rather have a dev. at least they would sorta be fair.

another player would just spam 1 move over and over again.

TITAN:ranged attack until they came close, fist of death.

DQ:that bullrush move she does

Dragon: FLAME BREATH until everyones dead

TS:the knockback effect over and over.

Thrudh
07-13-2007, 11:26 AM
A text-based MUD I used to play back in the 90s (Gemstone III) did this kind of stuff...

GMs would come down all the time and mess with us... You'd be fighting a couple of orcs, and a chief orc would walk in, and start taunting you by name (remember this was text-based). It was great... Playing against a dev was loads of fun...

We had invasions of the town where the top 5-10 invasion leaders were played by GMs.

Every couple of months or so, a merchant would appear and sell things that you couldn't get any place else. The merchant would be run by a GM, and would interact with the players... Sometimes it would be a grumpy dwarf who charged 3x for elven players, etc.

These were never announced events... They just happened...

I played (and payed for) that game for 5 years... because of things like that. Best MMO ever.

binnsr
07-13-2007, 12:19 PM
The mud that I used to play did the same thing (SlothMud).

Although, usually, God controlled mobs were only during area openers, or special events.

DaGSO
07-13-2007, 01:00 PM
I remember the gnoll necro boss mob in splitpaw. It was a big pain in the butt when he spawned not doing his typical AI, but different spells and it was a challenge. I would not post it just randomly throw it down, and maybe keep a thread on the Server this occurred as a sticky. Who bested the DEV.

Cyr
07-14-2007, 10:43 PM
but only if the titan, dragon, and DQ are excluded because those suckers can set it up to be unbeatable. I would love the stormreaver to be run this way, of course, the devs could not control when he shoots out his lightning spheres or where (both the ones at the ground and the air). That would be so fun, heck it might even require a full raid group :) Got to say my next favorite one to see taht way would be the bosses in POP, now that would be a challenge.

Darkdominion
07-14-2007, 11:34 PM
I have to admit, a real, thinking person in control of such a powerful creature, the satisfaction from beating something like that would be immensely gratifying.

Vox
07-15-2007, 05:22 AM
I disagree that a real person behind any of these bosses would necessarily make them unbeatable. It would be a simple matter of setting up certain baseline rules that the mobs would have to obey, much like characters.

EX. The Demon Queen.

She could have an activatable ability that teleports her to a random ledge for 45 seconds, and spawns the blade barriers, then returns her to the central platform. Has a cooldown timer of 1:30 or something.

The bum-rush attack could have a 20 sec. cooldown, etc.

This would be a TON of fun! I remember hearing about things like this in EQ1, the one that I remember being most interested in was Mistmoore actually spawning.

Vox

Varis
07-15-2007, 09:09 AM
hey, even turbine did that before. Their named bosses that raided towns and such where played by GM's.

Do that for DDO! You know it works, you know it's a lot of fun for everyone!

ebt-dnd
07-15-2007, 01:16 PM
Mmm, bosses with unlimited mana, no concentration check, all their various abilities, run by a person. Yeah, that'd be fun. First attack, dead cleric. Second attack, dead caster, third attack, dead bard, fourth attack, dead rogue, fifth/sixth attack, dead tanks.

The only way it would work is if you nerfed down the bosses but then would it be as fun?

That's probably why you only see it outside of instances where you can have a ton of people joining in.

Symar-FangofLloth
07-15-2007, 01:24 PM

They already have- it's in LotRO.

HumanRogue
07-15-2007, 01:43 PM
I like the idea but think that if it were confined to a single raid 'every now and then' would mean that only a select few people could ever enjoy it. Maybe have a persistent zone (Like the city zones where you can have tons of ungrouped people) where monsters spawn and the GMs could come in as bosses. You could get tons of people in there and they wouldn't have to work through the raid quests to do it. Could also have ungimped/less gimped bosses because you could get as many people as you wanted in there. Just an idea so more people could enjoy it...

Ekental
07-16-2007, 04:08 AM
This isn't a bad idea in concept, but for raids, would be flat out impossible. I could see this for a generic mob in a dungeon though. Although there aren't enough GMs to make this fun enough. You'd have to give control to more people, make it a favor reward or something.

Lets take the titan, how do you hurt it? Of course, you need to land the pillars on it... how are you going to do that? You're not if any one competent is behind the wheels. Lets face it, the only reason you can kill the titan is because he is mentally ********.

Oh... Reaver? Hit anti-grav, don't turn it off.

Velah? Fireball/wind buffet... repeatedly

DQ? Port, blade barrier, spam wrack, never get into the center. Better yet, macro porting, let your archers/efreeti waves wear them down.

Vox
07-16-2007, 05:54 AM
Sheesh... you people don't bother reading the whole thread do you. There are a number of viable ways to make the raid bosses reasonable opponents in the hands of a human being.

Vox

joker965
07-16-2007, 10:53 AM
Sheesh... you people don't bother reading the whole thread do you. There are a number of viable ways to make the raid bosses reasonable opponents in the hands of a human being.

Vox

Agreed,

Of course some of the bosses would need different rules setup for when they are under human control. My main suggestion would be to adjust some of the "boss abilities" that have no save or any possible way to avoid. Give these abilities very hard saves or something.

Example: The "antigravity" seems really lame as the normal ways that a character might defeat this are not in the game. (fly, levitate)

Varis
07-16-2007, 11:55 AM
Agreed,

Of course some of the bosses would need different rules setup for when they are under human control. My main suggestion would be to adjust some of the "boss abilities" that have no save or any possible way to avoid. Give these abilities very hard saves or something.

Example: The "antigravity" seems really lame as the normal ways that a character might defeat this are not in the game. (fly, levitate)

you are assuming the GM's jump at every opportunity to exploit their new powers and do everything in their power to ruin your raid....

They are gonna make it challenging but most improtantly the experience will be very different. I would love to tell velah to her face that I will ride or wear her by the time I'm done ;)

Memnir
07-16-2007, 12:10 PM
/stalwart band of heros enters Reaver's Fate

Party Leader: Okay guys - just like we did last time!
Cleric: Um... why does he have a gold star over his head this time?
Everyone: Oh, [poo]...

/stalwart band of heros wipes, but has a great story to tell

I think this is a great idea. Even if it's only for Special Events... it'd add a new twist to the game, and certainly liven things up a bit. Heck, even a GM controled Kobold Inquisitor in WW4 would be fun. :D