PDA

View Full Version : New subscriber/game - thoughts, ideas

lunar1995
07-12-2007, 06:50 PM
I am brand new to DandD and thoroughly enjoy this game so far. I have only been playing it for one week.

A couple of suggestions.

The looking glass when focused on the monsters needs to list a little more info like the AC class, history, special attacks, weakness, strengths, etc.... This would be immensely helpful, since I don't know where to find information about the various monsters I encounter. All the info I can get is the CR rating....doesn't do me much good.

A library that allows the character to look up spells, scrolls, potions, montsters, heroes, weapons, just about anything. This would be helpful since I have no idea what the diffeence is between a khopesh, scimitar, rapier, bastard sword, etc.... As it is now, I don't know unless I buy or discover a weapon any of the features or abilities of weapons. It is a pain to come to the forums and look up each weapon or magical weapon. An in game library would be great. A physical building that you could enter in and maybe buy intelligence or learning and access facts about things. Of course you don't want to spoil any dungeons but that could be easily solved. But I would like to know what a Vorphal (sp?) is, I hear players talk about them, what a tome is, etc.....

THis would be helpful for me to determine what weapon I want my character to specialize in. As it is now, I only run around with a long sword since I know what that does.

Also, what if the developer had a couple developer lead groups at certain times of the day on beginner dungeons that could answer questions for new adventureres like myself? I think that would be great PR and really encourage new guys like myself who are quite overwhelmed with everything.

Just some thoughts from a newbie.

Ziggy
07-12-2007, 06:56 PM
The idea has some merit.

however for some of your needs, you can go here and wander around
http://www.d20srd.org/

It will answer most of your questions.

The AC/HP/etc. of the mobs is a secret to most of us. We dont have any hard numbers, we have guestimates, and i dont think the Devs will tell us any of that info.

lunar1995
07-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Another thought.

It would be nice if the game also showed every dice roll for things that happen. I was just reading that treasure chests have dice rolls that predict what you get. If the game showed the dice rolling and what it was rolling for, that would also be really neat.

Such as, (and I may be totally wrong here, since I don't know much) if the chest has either +1, +2 or +3 stuff in it, showing what roll is needed to get certain items. As it is, things are very mysterious to me why sometimes I get really neat items or ordinary ones. And this feature could be turned off in the options, but at least showing the roll would be neat.

JelloMold
07-12-2007, 09:01 PM
A couple of things...

As far as the dice roll thing, while I think it would remove some confusion/speculation about the loot tables it would also give the people who complain about loot something concrete to complain about. That is a bad idea for the DEVs. As long as things are semi-vague after a while people will tend to get tired of reading posts from people who complain about loot since they really don't have any information. I belive the d20 link above does detail some loot table examples from pen&paper D&D which I believe these tables are loosly based on.

With regards to your request for help, the best way to get that is these forums. Ask a question (no matter how basic it seems) and you will get a response. The Newbie Q&A is the best place for that. Even if you no longer consider yourself a NewB, that is the best place to get a constructive response.

Check out the Guild Forum (sorry I don't have time to find the link for you). There was a recent post from a member of the Old Timer's Guild on Ghallanda who plans to have a new people meet&greet/question & answer session every other Wednesday. I had suggested he post it on the newbie pages as well, not sure if he did. Anyway, this seems like a good fit for you. If you are not too far into your character, you can start over, or even just create a character for the meetings. (although I think you'll like Ghallanda :p )

Finally, don't be afraid to ask questions in your groups. When you are running a quest and you don't know somehting, don't be afraid to speak up. I recommend doing this at the beginning of the group so if the others don't want to help (some people hate low levels and want to fly through them) you can find out ahead of time. You can even try to form a group with a note that says..."hey I'm new, looking for some help" You'd be surprised how many people who are working on new characters will join you just to help out. I've got cronic reroll-itis and am constantly working a new character. My favorite times are when I can run with someone new and help them get their feet wet. Guilds are also a great way to meet people, find groups fast, and get questions answered.

If you do decide to go Ghallanda, feel free to send me a message and I'll answer any questions I can, or run a new character with you (as long as I'm available of course). Look for Hammond or Marge as they are my current favorites.

Karrr
07-12-2007, 09:59 PM
Best way to learn things is eithern learning them in game, or get some 3.5 books for waepons and magic.

Also, just a thought, maybe join a guild or get a group of friends you can ask questions to.

Aesop
07-12-2007, 10:16 PM
One of the thngs I actually wish they could have implemented was the Knowledge Skills. With those certain ranks in appropriate Knowledges vs CR of appropriate MOBs could give an array of information.

Like if you meet the CR value you get MOnster type, HD,maybe special attacks
if you exceed by 5 special defenses etc

unfortunately they didn't so I'll deal

Aesop

Juni
07-12-2007, 11:48 PM
Here are a few links that you can use to help understand the basics.

http://www.d20srd.org/ This page has a lot of info granted this is more PnP D&D but it will lead you in the right direction.

http://ddo.enterwiki.net/page/Home There is a lot of info here about spells weapons almost anything you need to know to get started.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=69886 This is a link to the static (named) loot. Most are linked to a pic that you can look at and read about.

http://dndonline.gameamp.com/dnd/viewMonsters Here is a link to a page that will give you some very basic info on some of the monsters. Will show you what alignment they are and what bane weapons will work best. (this site is a little outdated therefore doesn't include some of the newer released monsters.)

Hope this helps some. If you are ever on Thelanis look me up. All my chars are listed below.