PDA

View Full Version : Attack bonus

shoebox747
07-11-2007, 05:18 PM
Im not a noob but in some places of the game i am. My question is what are attack bonus's. I have 3 chars and all i know is that a higher attack bonus is good but i dont know what it is used for. My ranger has a 29 attack bonus with a bow and 25 attack bonus when duel weilding with longswords. People say that is good but i have no idea what it means. Could somebody help me out?

Argonnessen Server

Clan of the Green Dragon-Leader

Shoebox level 12 ranger / level 2 fighter
Shoepolish level 7 cleric
Shoelace level 3 fighter

Craggath
07-11-2007, 05:30 PM
Attack bonus is exactly what it says: It's the number you apply to your roll to hit your target.

And just so you know: when you wield a weapon that is heavy and awkward (like a longsword) in your off hand, you get a -4 penalty to all attacks instead of the standard -2 penalty.

MRicebong
07-11-2007, 05:34 PM
Im not a noob but in some places of the game i am. My question is what are attack bonus's. I have 3 chars and all i know is that a higher attack bonus is good but i dont know what it is used for. My ranger has a 29 attack bonus with a bow and 25 attack bonus when duel weilding with longswords. People say that is good but i have no idea what it means. Could somebody help me out?

Argonnessen Server

Clan of the Green Dragon-Leader

Shoebox level 12 ranger / level 2 fighter
Shoepolish level 7 cleric
Shoelace level 3 fighter

attack bonus is your overall bonus that is actually used VS any kind or check (AC,DC,DR,SR and the like).
it's built of: BAB+LVL+weapon's bonus+enhancements and feats and circumtecial bonuses (sometimes more but that's basically the formula)
like...a drow can get a bonus of +30 with shortswords but can never get the same with longswords, same as dwarves gets more for axes:)
yet,the bab is the bonus to relay on,since it lets you attack more times/turn.
if your bab is +10 you hit 4 times for every sigle attack of normal monster.
+29 means you can penetrate most armors in the game...and will hit somewhere about 50-75 points of damage unbuffed.
+25 with dual weapons means that something is making you less good with that weapon than bow, like if your str is 18 and dex is 22 it can be it...

dmitri
07-11-2007, 05:36 PM
Attack bonus is the number that is added to your d20 roll when you try to hit something. For example:

Minsc the level one ranger attacks the big bad kobold in front of him. At level one, a ranger gets a BAB (base attack bonus) of +1, giving him a bonus to hit, but not damage. He also has an 18 STR, so that is another +4 bonus to hit and also to damage. He wields a +1 longsword, so that is another +1 to hit and +1 to damage. He rolls a 20-sided dice, and gets a 12. The bonuses to hit are added (+1 sword, +1 BAB, +4 STR), and his modified roll is an 18. If the kobolds AC (armor class) is 18 or lower, he hits and then proceeds to roll damage (on the above scenario, 1d8+5... +1 sword, +4 STR, 1d8 sword base damage). Running off of memory, a basic kobold warrior has an AC of 15 or 16, so our heroic ranger Minsc and his giant minature space hamster Boo hit the evil kobold.

As Minsc levels, his BAB goes up (depending on class, it changes at a different rate). STR will always play a factor (unless you have weapon finesse as a feat, in which case DEX is the determiner for to-hit), as will weapon bonuses. But Minsc will always roll a d20 and add his bonuses to this roll to determine if he hits.

One last thing - in DDO, if you are moving while you attack, you take a -4 penalty to hit, unless you have the spring attack feat. So your best chance to hit is get a high + weapon, be a martial class, have a high STR (or DEX and weapon finesse), and stand still, and get a good roll. And be aware, a natural 20 on the d20 roll always hits, and a natural 1 always misses (natural meaning unmodified).

Hope this helps, and if you don't know who Minsc is, go find yourself an old copy of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 from Bioware - they rock!

MRicebong
07-11-2007, 05:37 PM
Attack bonus is exactly what it says: It's the number you apply to your roll to hit your target.

And just so you know: when you wield a weapon that is heavy and awkward (like a longsword) in your off hand, you get a -4 penalty to all attacks instead of the standard -2 penalty.

and if you got weapon finesse and a lightwaight weapon you won't even get that -2 (that's the good thingie with rangers)

dmitri
07-11-2007, 05:41 PM
attack bonus is your overall bonus that is actually used VS any kind or check (AC,DC,DR,SR and the like).
it's built of: BAB+LVL+weapon's bonus+enhancements and feats and circumtecial bonuses (sometimes more but that's basically the formula)
like...a drow can get a bonus of +30 with shortswords but can never get the same with longswords, same as dwarves gets more for axes:)
yet,the bab is the bonus to relay on,since it lets you attack more times/turn.
if your bab is +10 you hit 4 times for every sigle attack of normal monster.
+29 means you can penetrate most armors in the game...and will hit somewhere about 50-75 points of damage unbuffed.
+25 with dual weapons means that something is making you less good with that weapon than bow, like if your str is 18 and dex is 22 it can be it...

Actually, BAB+LVL is wrong. Level is only involved in caster level checks, not in defeating AC. And the attack bonus has nothing to do with spell casting checks like SR and determining the DC of a spell save...

Also DR is only based on damage done, not BAB and the attack bonus - you can hit every time, but if you cant get past the 30/- DR, then you are essentially screwed.

dmitri
07-11-2007, 05:42 PM
and if you got weapon finesse and a lightwaight weapon you won't even get that -2 (that's the good thingie with rangers)

Actually, you always get the -2/-2 penalty for dual wielding, even with light weapons in off-hand or both hands. With a one hander in the off-hand, you take -4/-4, and that is with the Two Weapon Fighting feat. Without it I think it is -6/-10 or something crazy like that.

Consult the SRD for a thorough description of this topic, or your local DnD geek.

Aranticus
07-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Actually, you always get the -2/-2 penalty for dual wielding, even with light weapons in off-hand or both hands. With a one hander in the off-hand, you take -4/-4, and that is with the Two Weapon Fighting feat. Without it I think it is -6/-10 or something crazy like that.

Consult the SRD for a thorough description of this topic, or your local DnD geek.

elves normally dual wield longsword or rapiers for 2 reasons....

1) they can take the -4/-4 penatly by getting a +2 from racial enhancements.

2) they get racial enhancements to boost damage when they use longswords or rapiers.

the players who dual weild 2 main hand weapons are those who twinked out their char, meaning max racial enhancement so they hit real hard. attack wise, you really dun miss much with a base +25.

btw OP, if you have finesse feat and u dual wield rapiers, i'm sure the attack bonus will be higher, but i figure you are most likely a str build