PDA

View Full Version : How do I maximize and Use UMD?

Impaqt
07-11-2007, 02:55 PM
The Latest "What UMD Items are out there" thread prompted this... I've done a Lot of research and hope this is complete, but feel free to point out any items I may have missed. There are many ways to boost your UMD Skill Class, CHR Score, Items, Spells, Action Boosts..... But what stacks and what doesn’t? How do you maximize your UMD Skill?

First Things First.....
You’re Class:

UMD is a Native Skill for Bards and Rogues. These are the ONLY 2 classes that will allow you to Gain 4 Points of UMD Skill at L1 and 1 Full Point each subsequent level.

Note that you do NOT need to be a "Pure" Rogue or bard to gain this skill. One Level is all that’s required..... However, if you wish to gain a full point of UMD while a Fighter for example, you'll need to spend two skill points to gain one point of UMD Skill as it is then deemed "Cross Class"

You do not need to start out as a Bard or Rogue to gainthe max ranks inUMD either. Even a FIghter can max UMD by taking a Level of bard or Rogue late in the build. Once you Take a class that has UMD as a native Skill, the max ranks you can put into it goes up to 17 (4 pts L1 and 1pt/Lvl 2+)

This leads us to the most common way to increase your UMD Skill.

Skill Points.

The Maximum amount of Skill Points you can add to any skill in the game currently is 17. L1 you can add 4 Points and Levels 2-14 you can do one per level. If you plan on having a Usable UMD Score, you should max this skill at every level.

And the third Core boost to your umd skill...

Charisma:
The Higher your Charisma, the better a UMD Bonus you will receive. A 20 CHR nets you +5 to your UMD Skill.

Now, here’s the tricky part.... What Stacks with What? How do I maximize my UMD Skill?

Feats:
Only one feat exists to raise your UMD Skill. THats Skill Focus:UMD It provides a +3 Bonus to UMD that stacks with everything. This can be taken as one of your 5 (or 6 if your human) main Feat selections at levels 1,(1),3,6,9,12

Items:
These Items provide a "Competence" Bonus to your UMD Skill and do NOT stack with each other. The Highest Bonus will apply only.
Golden Cartouche - +3 UMD: Semi Static End reward from the Delara's Quest Chain.
Stave of the Seer - +5 UMD: "Bring me the head of Ghola-Fan" Quest Drops in the chest guarded by Ur-Keshik the Seer
Circlet of Persuasion +3 to all CHR Based Skills: Random Drop. Very Rare
Cloak of the Silver Concord. +3 to all CHR Based Skills. Drops from the Warded Chest of VON-6 (Velah the Red Dragon)
"Of Command" Suffix. Any item "Of Command" Provides a +2 bonus to all CHR based Skills Most commonly found on Armor.
Seven Fingered Gloves: +5 UMD. Drops from the Warded Chest of the Twilight Forge (WF Titan Raid)
Some people say Persuasion can be found on other random loot, but I have yet to find anything but the 2 above listed items.

These Items provide a "Luck" Bonus and will stack with the above "Competence" Bonus' but NOT each other.
Rabbit Gloves - +1 to all skills. Semi Static End Reward from the Theranal Ruins Quest Series
Stone of Good Luck: +1 Luck to Skills. Random Drop
Head of Good Fortune - +2 to all skills. Drops from the Warded chest of the Stormreaver raid
Staff of Arcane Power: +2 Luck to all Skills. Drops from the Warded Chest in the "Against the Demon Queen" Raid

These Items Provide Temporary Boosts to UMD Via "Clicky"

Nightforge Bracers: Improved False Life, Heroism 3/3. Ore Turn in for Black Anvil Mines.
Heroism Provides a +2 To hit and +2 Skills, (And Saves) Morale Bonus

Planar Gird: 1/1 Greater Heroism chaosguard (+2AC Againt Evil)
Greater Heroism Provides a +4 To Hit and Skills (And Saves) Morale Bonus

Heroism can also be generated randomly in the Loot Table.

Spells and Magical Enhancements To UMD

Luck Bonus
Cleric Spell "Prayer": Prayer provides a +1 Luck Bonus to all Skills.

Circunstance Bonus
Bard Spell:Focusing Chant +1 Circumstance Bonus to Skills

Morale Bonus
Heroism: Available in Scroll, Potion, Clickie, and Spell Form Heroism gives you a +2 Boost to your UMD Score. 1Min/Lvl
Greater Heroism: Available in Scroll, Clickie, or Spell Form. Greater Heroism Provides a +4 Boost to your UMD Skill 1min/Lvl
Good Hope (Mass Version of Heroism)
Bard Song "Inspire Competence" A Bard can Inspire Competence to another Player Character and provide a +2 "Competence" Bonus to your UMD (And other) Skills. I know this Used to Stack with other Competence bonuses and believe it still does, but have not tested it lately.

Class Enhancement: Bard
Bard Enhancement: SpellSinger +2 Bonus to UMD

Alchemical
Potion of Eagle Skill: THese Potions are available from the House D Collectable Turn in NPC's. They Come in +1,+2,and +3 and Last 3 Minutes.

Action Boosts

The Following Action Boosts Stack with Everything, but cannot be used with each other and provide only 20 Seconds of gain. (More than enough time to use a Raise Dead Scroll)

Human Versatility. +2-5 on all Skills for 20 Seconds

Rogue Skill Boost: +2-5 on all Skills for 20 Seconds

Ranger Skill Boost: +2-5 on all Skills for 20 seconds.

Magical Enhancements to Charisma:
Spells
Spell: Eagle Splendor +4 CHR Enhancement Bonus. Does not stack with Charisma items, but at low level can be very Benefitial
Alchemical
Potion of Influence: THese Potions are available from the House D Collectable Turn in NPC's. They COme in +1,+2,and +3 and Last 3 Minutes. These Stack with Everything.

UMD Checks

UMD Checks are based on your Skill +d20. A "1" is NOT an auto fail. You simple need to Combine your Skill +d20 and hit the "Difficulty" rating of the Scroll or Wand you are trying to use.

Common Scrolls and Wands Difficulty Ratings.(Going by Memory here, Please correct me if I'm wrong or missed something you feel is commonly used)

Wands:
Cure Light Wounds/Repair Light Damage: 20
Moderate: 24
Severe: 28
Critcal: 32

Lesser Restore: 20
Remove Disease: 24
Remove Curse: 24
Neutralize Poison: 28

Scrolls:
Blur: 24
Haste: 28
Displacement: 28
StoneSkin: 32
Raise Dead: 36
Greater Heroism: 40
Teleport: 40
Greater Teleport: 44
Resurrection: 44

UMD Checks for Weaponry, and Wearable’s.
To Equip a Weapon or Item that is not of your Race or alignment, your UMD Skill must Meet or Exceed the Difficulty rating of the item. There is NO d20 roll for equipping items, however, your UMD score may drop below the difficulty level after equipping the item. It will be unequipped when you log off though, so each time you log in you'll need to raise your skill to equip the item.

There are many "Race Restricted" or "Alignment Restricted" items in the game. Any "Alignment Restricted" Item will have a Minimum UMD of 20. This is the minimum because if the weapon is ML12 or 14 the higher difficulty rating applies.

There is No Penalty for using UMD to bypass the restriction on a Race Restricted Item or weapon. The Maximum Difficulty rating for a Race Restricted item or weapon is currently 24 for a ML14 RR Weapon.

Items with Restrictions and NO UMD Check:
There is No Way to Bypass the Restrictions on the following Items:
Docents: You must be Warforged.
Ring of the Ancestors: Must be "Good" aligned. There is no Difficulty.
Madstone Rod: Must be an Arcane Caster to use

I hope this helps clear up some Confusion on how to max your UMD and how it applies in the game!

A Note on "Caster Level Checks"
Much Like UMD, you may qualify to use arcane or Divine Scrolls via a Caster Level Check IF you have taken levels in the appropriate Class that would have that scroll in their Spell Book. The game will automatically use the check that gives you the best chance at success. Caster level Check is Calculated with the Following Formula.

(2x (Your Caster Level in the Class)) +d20 >= (2x (Caster Level of the Scroll)) for it to succeed.

So if a 5Cleric/9Rogue with a 24UMD wishes to Use a Raise Dead Scroll CLC would be used. (Raise Dead is a CL: 9 Scroll)

2x5=10+d20 >= 2x9=18
A Caster level Check would need a Roll of an 8 to Succeed, where a UMD Check would need a 12 to raise that dead party member.
However if that party member was a Human and hit his Human Versatility Boost, the game would switch to a UMD Check as his UMD skill would be raised to 29 which would now succeed on the roll of a 7.

binnsr
07-11-2007, 03:22 PM
Common Scrolls and Wands Dificulty Ratings.(Going by Memory here, Please correct me if I'm wrong or missed something you feel is commonly used)

Wands:
Cure Light Wounds/Repair Light Damage: 16
Moderate: 20
Severe: 24
Critcal:28

Lessor Restore:20
Remove Disease: 24
Remove Curse: 24
Netralize Poison:28

Scrolls:
Blur:24
Haste: 28
Displacement:28
StoneSkin:32
Raise Dead:36
Greater Heroism:40
Teleport:40
Greater Teleport:44
Resurection: 44

The same UMD check applies to scrolls and wands
Lvl1 spell = 20
Lvl2 spell = 24
Lvl 3 spell = 28
Lvl 4 spell = 32
Lvl 5 spell = 36
Lvl 6 spell = 40
Lvl 7 spell = 44
Lvl 8 spell = 48 (hypothesizing here)
Lvl 9 spell = 52 (ditto)

Think you had them all right except CLW/RLD

Items with Restrictins and NO UMD Check:
There is No Way to Bypass the Restrictions on the following Items:
Docents: You Must be Worforged.
Ring of the Ancestors: Must be "Good" aligned. there is no Difficulty.

Don't forget the "Arcane caster" requirement on the Madstone Rod.

Impaqt
07-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Thanks, Fixed the Cuire/Repair stuff. and added the rod.

Also, Staff of Arcane power.. Can you UMD that? How Bout Aderhants(sp) Pendant?

The_Cataclysm
07-12-2007, 08:56 AM
Thanks, Fixed the Cuire/Repair stuff. and added the rod.

Also, Staff of Arcane power.. Can you UMD that? How Bout Aderhants(sp) Pendant?

Yes to both.

26 and 12.

Rowanheal
07-12-2007, 08:58 AM
Thank for this...

I just started learning about UMD with my baby bard...and I am enjoying the freedom of it, but was unsure of what items were in game, what worked with what and how DC checks worked...

Massive thank you... and keep adding to this :)

See you in Stormreach,

The_Cataclysm
07-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Keep in mind that while you can bypass the alignment restriction with UMD on a weapon, you wil still be penalized with a Negative Level for equipting the Weapon if you do not meet the restriction. In DDO this means -5 Hit Points, -1 to Hit

That is wrong. Anything that can be bypassed by UMD gives no penalty if you bypass the restriction.

Impaqt
07-12-2007, 11:11 AM
My UMD Characters are all True Neutral or Chaotic Good so I dont run into this too often, but I have had several people complain ingroup about UMDing a "True Chaos" Weapon and still get hit with a Negative level....

Can anyone else verify this?

binnsr
07-12-2007, 11:18 AM
My UMD Characters are all True Neutral or Chaotic Good so I dont run into this too often, but I have had several people complain ingroup about UMDing a "True Chaos" Weapon and still get hit with a Negative level....

Can anyone else verify this?
You don't get the negative level by using a True Law or True Chaos weapon. You get it for using Axiomatic (if chaotic) or Anarchic (if lawful). There is no UMD (alignment restriction) for these two types, either.
My lawful-good paladin uses a couple of true-chaos weapons with no penalty.

Impaqt
07-12-2007, 11:28 AM
Removed.... Thanks.

WolfSpirit
07-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Na, no level hit.
Q is Neutral good, so he can use the Axio/Anar just fine.

But I'm unable to use the True Law and True Chaos, those are the big ones that give negative levels.
But thanks to UMD, I use a true law rapier and True Chaos short sword for various situations all the time. Never noticed any ill effects.
Once you bypass the requirements, your just fine...

It should also be noted that, among all the classes, the Bard is the most suited to being a UMD user. As his Prime Requisite is Charisma, it falls right in line with the abilities of Bards, and as such are more likely to reach that all time high UMD, if thats what you are looking for.

And by the way Impaqt, very well thought out and put together.
This will help to answer many questions for anyone who wishes to understand the mysteries of
Use Magical Devices.

It deserves a sticky!

Impaqt
07-12-2007, 11:58 AM
True Neutral would Never take a Level hit.

I was told that a Lawful Character with UMD (Paly for example) would still take a Negative Level if they equipted a ANarctic weapon via UMD.

THanks for the comments... Just ran it through a Spellcheck so should a bit easier to read now too :)

tihocan
07-12-2007, 12:14 PM
At first glance, it looks like you're missing the Recitation cleric spell (+2 luck bonus).

tihocan
07-12-2007, 12:17 PM
I was told that a Lawful Character with UMD (Paly for example) would still take a Negative Level if they equipted a ANarctic weapon via UMD.
This is true. You can't equip such a weapon "via umd" anyway, since there is no UMD difficulty listed.

binnsr
07-12-2007, 12:22 PM
At first glance, it looks like you're missing the Recitation cleric spell (+2 luck bonus).

Recitation does not provide a bonus to skills..

Description Gives special favor to you and any allies near you, granting a +2 luck bonus to attack rolls, Armor Class, and saves.

Impaqt
07-12-2007, 12:28 PM

Correct.. Recitation is To Hit, AC and Saves.

tihocan
07-13-2007, 05:15 PM
My bad, you are absolutely correct. I was almost sure I had used it once and it worked, but obviously I was wrong. Time to put back prayer in my spell list :)

Karos
07-13-2007, 05:58 PM
Skill Focus: UMD, and the upcoming Spellsinger enhancement for bards also will provide bonuses to UMD, +3 for the Skillfocus and +2 for the Spellsinger.

A fully specced and decked out human spellsinger bard could umd a lvl 8 scroll (if they existed:)) while boosting on a roll of a 2. :)

Impaqt
07-13-2007, 07:58 PM
Oh My, How did I forget SF: UMD? lol.. duh.... and I'll add the spellsinger spell too even though its not out yet.

Karos
07-14-2007, 09:10 AM
Spellsinger isn't a new buff, it's a new enhancement that bards can take as of 4.2 when it comes out. There is a new self buff that bards can use that should stack with everything listed as well, perhaps you were confusing them?

Spellsinger:
Prereqs: Bard level 6, Bard Music of Energy 2, Bard Skill: Concentration 2, Bard Song Magic 2, Bard Lyric of Song 1, Any one of the following: Magical Training, Mental Toughness, Spell Focus: Enchantment, Greater Spell Focus: Enchantment, Empower Spell, Extend Spell, Heighten Spell, Maximize Spell

"Your studies into magic have granted you a +2 bonus to your Concentration and Use Magic Device skills, +100 Spell Points, and the ability to expend a use of Bardic Music to grant all nearby allies a +1 morale bonus to spell DC's and a 10% morale discount on spell costs.

Focusing Chant
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 1
Components: V
Range: Personal
Duration: 1 minute

You gain a +1 circumstance bonus on attack rolls and skill checks for the duration of the spell.

Impaqt
07-14-2007, 09:44 AM
Allright, I dont play a Bard.. Parked mine when 4.1 came out so have paid little attention to what they are getting.

Shoudl be correct now.

Impaqt
09-22-2007, 12:04 PM
Major Update to the UMD Guide. Now Includes all Spells that can benefit UMD.

Riekan
09-24-2007, 07:45 AM
Nice update. Keep up the good work.

Dozen_Black_Roses
09-24-2007, 08:13 AM
ty for posting!

Smashey
10-06-2007, 03:32 PM
I love umd. I played a ranger lvl 1ftr, lvl 10 ranger. Deleted the toon, and rerolled as a lvl 1 bard, lvl 13 ranger. The umd is nice I can raise dead, fire shield, make my own arrows, the abilty to use race required items is sweet.

I wish smashey could UMD :), just for the fireshield affect.

Shade
10-07-2007, 12:41 AM
This is true. You can't equip such a weapon "via umd" anyway, since there is no UMD difficulty listed.

Yea..

Tho if for example, a human paladin with good umd found a weapon like +5 anarchic bastard sword that was warforged only.. Should they bypass that race restriction, they would still take a negative level.

Baelketh
11-04-2007, 10:13 AM
My 10bard/4rogue has a rather strange quirk when scroll casting Greater Heroism. Sometimes I get my +39 umd, and sometimes I get a +20 CLC. I've found no marker to decide whicho ne is taken, and would very much prefer that I get the UMD. Any suggestions, or logic as to why this occurs?

Many thanks

Baelketh Strakheln
Dwarven Defender

Impaqt
11-04-2007, 10:53 AM
The game will automatically swiitch betweem UMD and CLC dependign on what gives you the better chance of success at the time..... I would bett he 4 Skill points GH Give you put you over the edge of UMD Check VS. CLC Your FIrst cast on yourself goes to CLC because its more likly to succeed that way. Once you succeed on yourself, You now get a UMD check for Recasts, or giving it to other players.