PDA

View Full Version : Making my first wiz, advice appreciated

gamer111
07-10-2007, 09:21 AM
I am just about ready to unlock drow and I would like to make a wizard, I just had a few questions.
-When making my character are the stat points I distribute before the racial adjustments??
-Also I would appreciate any advice on skills, feats, and Point distribution for stats.
Thanks gr8tly to any and all for help :)

tihocan
07-10-2007, 09:25 AM
As far as buying costs are concerned, racial adjustments come after you spent your points.
As for build advice, I suggest you read the wizard class forum. If you start with max Int, decent Con, and max out the concentration skill, it will be hard for you to completely screw up anyway.

jkm
07-10-2007, 09:48 AM
my advice on builds is figure out how you like to play and then mold your toon to that. do you want to buff? nuke? cc? tank? solo? unload 3/4 of your mana bar in 10 seconds? because, while spells can be changed, stat points and skills are forever...

Dariun
07-10-2007, 10:25 AM
When you roll your Drow, you will start with:

8 STR
10 DEX
6 CON
10 INT
8 WIS
10 CHA

and 28 points to spend. Increasing any stat by up to 6 points will cost 1 of the 28 for each stat point, increasing 7 or 8 points costs 2 each, and 9 or 10 points cost 3 each.

Not sure if that answers your question about racial adjustments -- basically, they are there when you start assigning points.

Concentration is the most important skill for Wizards -- keep this maxed. Diplomacy, Jump, and Balance are also valuable skills. You might want to put a point or two into Tumble. If you have points left over Spot is always good and Haggle never hurts.

For a drow wizard, I would put 18-20 points into INT and at least 12 into CON. Others are really up to you.

Popular feats for wizards are: Mental Toughness, Extend, Heighten, Empower, Maximize, Enlarge, Improved Mental Toughness, and Spell focus: X (Enchantment is a popular focus).

Hard to go wrong with Mental Toughness. Extend is great for buffs, Heighten is valuable at higher levels, Empower and/or Maximize are useful for killing bosses.

PurdueDave
07-10-2007, 10:28 AM
My only advice would be to think long and hard before taking metamagic feats with your regular feats early on. Depending on preference you might have enough bonus feats to use on metamagic and if you start spending regular feats on metamagic early you might wind up taking something you don't really want later with your bonus feats.

FoxOne
07-10-2007, 10:35 AM
Here is the build i just started,Drow wizard,i wanna make him the most powerful i can.

Str - 8
Dex- 10
Con -14
Int - 20
Wis -14
Cha- 10

I believe that is exactly how i built my Nucleus,the high int is only to achieve the highest possible score (34 i believe).

The low charisma will hurt my UMD but i don't care.To start at level 1,go to market,buy every scroll you can.Then go to house J featherfall apothecary & buy spell inscription materials.Then Inscribe every scroll you bought at marketplace.

To have some crowd control,buy hypnotic pattern & glitterdust scrolls by the hundred.Blur as well.I am just starting , at level 2 now but really no problem.The higher con will help down the road.

As for feats,my first ones are maximize & empower.I will take every metamagic feat or just about.

First spells - charm,expeditous retreat,Magic missile.Have 10 wands of niac's cold ray as alternative to mm is sp run empty.

Good luck on your build,will check back eventually to hear from your build.

jkm
07-10-2007, 11:09 AM
you've got about 4 to many points in there.

max you could get would be 8, 10, 14, 20, 10, 10. if i were building one, i would go 8/10/13/20/9/13

FoxOne
07-10-2007, 11:11 AM
you've got about 4 to many points in there.

max you could get would be 8, 10, 14, 20, 10, 10. if i were building one, i would go 8/10/13/20/9/13

I think my wis might be 12 but whatever,it's a general idea,you see where i'm going.

Aranticus
07-10-2007, 10:29 PM
stat will depend on build. max int is a must. my wiz is at 34 int atm with 1316 sp on a magi item, MT and IMT.

if you want an ac build you'll go for high dex, get some twilight and/or mithral armor and elven enhancements. ac as high as 40+ was recorded (mines 19)

if you want a hp build, go for high con. i have a guildie with close to 200 hp on his L14 wiz (mines a pathetic 114).

high con/dex is more of how you play your toon. for me i kite monsters. displacement, blur, jump, gtr hero and haste is cast liberally. i'll throw a huge fire and then run in a tight circle, jumping along the way. my 200hp guildie has a more frontal approach to his battles, so will a 40+ ac wiz.

metamagic feats wise, empower, maximise is a must if you want to nuke. extend if you like to buff. heighten if you cc or insta kill alot. spell focus is useless if you are a damage casters. enchantment if you want to hold mobs or to charm. illusion if you want to mesmerise or fool them into dying (PK). necromany for evil spells like finger of death (best insta kill spell IMO)

for a wiz mental toughness (MT) and IMT is a must as the sp is way lesser compared to a sorc. enhancements can also boost them up but not by much. DC of spells is directly linked to your int so keep it as high as you can.

last but not all, a word of advice. a caster that foolishly nukes is likely a dead caster. if you blast a gang of high hp mobs, likely you get pwned by them. in addition when their boss arrives.... you find yourself using wands

Sokar6000
07-11-2007, 12:04 AM
I would say 20 Int, 12-14 DEX, and put the rest of the points into CON.

In game where numbers are everything, you are not going to want anything less than max INT. In long endgame quests, you are going to need every spell point you can get.

DEX is important because it adds to your armor class and your otherwise poor reflex save.

A character should never have a negative modifier in CON. CON is important redgardless of your class.

STR, WIS, and CHA are usless to a Wizard. You will likely never engage in melee combat, and your will save is already high enough that there is little point in increasing wisdom.

For skills, Concentration is essential, and the rest are up to you. I personally like Tumble/Hide/Move Silently.

For feats, Mental toughness is essential. Wizards get free metamagic feats at first, fifth, and tenth level. Extend spell is nice, doubleing a spells duration while increasing cost by only half. If you want to go a nuker route, Maximize/Empower will be your friend. For a CC build, I would reccomend Highten.