PDA

View Full Version : Shield Blocking Confusion

simon043
07-09-2007, 05:21 PM
What does shield blocking do? I thought it gave you damage reduction. If it does, how much does it give you, and does it stack with anything?

If it doesn't stack, does that mean it is nearly pointless for a barb to shield block?

Cheers

Mad_Bombardier
07-09-2007, 05:27 PM
Blocking with shield or weapon grants +2 AC. Shield DR has it's own formula and yes shield DR stacks with itself. See the DDOwiki Damage Reduction (http://ddo.enterwiki.net/page/Damage_reduction) page for the calculation.

simon043
07-09-2007, 05:34 PM
Cheers for that. The link was EXACTLY what I wanted.

Second question:
- Does a fearsome armor still cast fear in both these scenarios. 1) The attacker hits, but DR reduces all damage. 2) The attacker does not get past AC so doesn't hit at all.

Thanks

Deriaz
07-09-2007, 05:53 PM
Cheers for that. The link was EXACTLY what I wanted.

Second question:
- Does a fearsome armor still cast fear in both these scenarios. 1) The attacker hits, but DR reduces all damage. 2) The attacker does not get past AC so doesn't hit at all.

Thanks

I don't know about number 1, but I think number 2 is a no. I've fought a friend in the Tavern Brawling area, and when I can't get past her Fearsome Docent, I don't get Fear put on me.

Then again, I realize that's PvP and not against a mob, so there may be a difference. Wish I could be more help. :x

-D

Bombalo
07-09-2007, 05:56 PM
1) Very good question dont know the answer there would be interesting to see a dev response on this one.

2) If you dont get "hit" then your armors affect will not be applied (goes with guards as well). And by HIT I mean that they actually do damage to you (well if you dont have DR :p )

simon043
07-09-2007, 06:47 PM
In all games I play I love making slightly different chars (if possible).

So my dream here was to have a Barbarian with low AC, I'll wear a Fearsome Robe. The barb will have high DR, and the Shield Mastery feats. He will run into a mob and shield block. When enough are feared he can change to his great axe and chew them up.

Barbarian with solid and cool crowd control. But it relys on the Fear affect still working if all the Damage is reduced to zero.

Also, could I just confirm that the barb DR boost stacks with shield DR (From the link above I think it does). That would be some sick DR.

Level 14:
7 BA
9 Tower Shield
6 Shield Feats
15 DR boost
3 Dwarven Shield Mastery
----
40 DR Total

So I could stop most the damage and crowd control quite nicely :-)

Borror0
07-09-2007, 07:32 PM
In all games I play I love making slightly different chars (if possible).

So my dream here was to have a Barbarian with low AC, I'll wear a Fearsome Robe. The barb will have high DR, and the Shield Mastery feats. He will run into a mob and shield block. When enough are feared he can change to his great axe and chew them up.

Barbarian with solid and cool crowd control. But it relys on the Fear affect still working if all the Damage is reduced to zero.

Also, could I just confirm that the barb DR boost stacks with shield DR (From the link above I think it does). That would be some sick DR.

Level 14:
7 BA
9 Tower Shield
6 Shield Feats
15 DR boost
3 Dwarven Shield Mastery
----
40 DR Total

So I could stop most the damage and crowd control quite nicely :-)

If I were you, I'd invest in intimidate and take the Barbarian that makes mobs shaken when using intimidate, for more CC. Seems fun. :)

JelloMold
07-09-2007, 08:24 PM
I'm sure you've thought of this, but high fortification sounds like a must too. Really sounds like a fun concept. Keep us posted as to how it turns out.

simon043
07-09-2007, 08:40 PM
Yeah, fortification is always good, but your right, it's super important to this build to make the DR more affective.

One thing I'm thinking about is going with the TWF feats. Not sure if I would have enough feats spare though. THF isn't so effective because half the creatures will run away, thus taking away from the splash damage. But TWF really adds damage to a single target, which is all this build would ever deal with.

Feat wise I was thinking of:
TWF
Shield Mastery
Imp TWF
Toughness
Greater TWF

Although that doesn't have Imp Crit which is always a family favorite.

Aranticus
07-09-2007, 11:52 PM
Yeah, fortification is always good, but your right, it's super important to this build to make the DR more affective.

One thing I'm thinking about is going with the TWF feats. Not sure if I would have enough feats spare though. THF isn't so effective because half the creatures will run away, thus taking away from the splash damage. But TWF really adds damage to a single target, which is all this build would ever deal with.

Feat wise I was thinking of:
TWF
Shield Mastery
Imp TWF
Toughness
Greater TWF

Although that doesn't have Imp Crit which is always a family favorite.

i'd go THF and get the sword of shadows.... it'll kill faster than most TWF due to the sick crit range of 13-20