PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion - Encumbrance

Aladon
07-08-2007, 09:45 AM
There is a little noted cap on Dex benefits to AC. Unless encumbrance is light, max dex is 3.

I am finding it hard to get my toons below this cap. As leet toons, they carry lots of pots. For convenience, they carry as many as will fit in a single slot (eg 100 pots). Ditto, my caster loads up with 1000 of each material component. The components alone add up to 100 lbs or more.

Sure I could carry fewer of each. But this is a video game and inventory management is NOT fun.

And it is NOT true to Pnp, at least in the case of material components. P. 174 of the PHB suggests that so long as the component is not rare or expensive, assume the caster has enough so long as he has his component pouch!

It is also not fair since it only impacts classes who benefit from light encumbrance. And it hurts them in more than the logistical nightmare. Even if I get my toons to 'light' before a quest, the loot can put me over - especially if I pull heavy armor.

My suggestion is change the weight of potions, scrolls and material components to be 10% of their current weight. Yes, this change is a Monty Haul change, but we're gonna twink our toons no matter what. This just makes the game less irritating and more fair while we're doing it.

If you can't see your way clear to the blanket change, please consider reducing the weight of material components (perhaps other than the three special ones). This would bring DDO more in line w/ PnP and thus shouldn't create any issues for you.

Aladon

AmsterdamHeavy
07-08-2007, 10:12 AM
I think there is no need to carry 999 of every component.

I have high level clerics and wizards....I try to keep my inventory in the 300-400 range when buying. I find I need to buy components every week or so.

I mean....1,000 level 7 components? What are you trying to do, never need to buy them again? ev4r?

Also, ya carrying pots is nice, but you dont need 100 unless you plan to go soloing for the day methinks.

What about a strength item? What is your strength if you consistently have this problem? 6? 8?

Also, I never have encumberment issues. Every character carries loads of weapons, clickies, ammo, extra armor, whatever. I think I hit med encumberment on my rogue in SC long long time ago with a full pack.

Not saying it cant happen, but I think you need to really work at it to make this a problem.

Uska
07-08-2007, 03:22 PM
Just get a str item or dont carry so many things I find I ran out of room on all my characters much sooner then I have a weight problem this includes my mages

Impaqt
07-08-2007, 03:31 PM
There is no need to carry 1000's of spell componants... If youchoose to carry that many, its up to you to have the STR required to do so... Inventroy maintinance is part of the game... and for mages its pretty easy since all you need to do is teleprt to the Portable hole and you can stock up on everything you need in like 5 minutes....

eat a Tome, Get a beter STR Item.... The encumberance limits are there for a reason.

Furgulder
07-08-2007, 04:04 PM
I think there is no need to carry 999 of every component.

I have high level clerics and wizards....I try to keep my inventory in the 300-400 range when buying. I find I need to buy components every week or so.

I mean....1,000 level 7 components? What are you trying to do, never need to buy them again? ev4r?

Also, ya carrying pots is nice, but you dont need 100 unless you plan to go soloing for the day methinks.

What about a strength item? What is your strength if you consistently have this problem? 6? 8?

Also, I never have encumberment issues. Every character carries loads of weapons, clickies, ammo, extra armor, whatever. I think I hit med encumberment on my rogue in SC long long time ago with a full pack.

Not saying it cant happen, but I think you need to really work at it to make this a problem.

I think his point is that he doesnt like to play shopping for components/ammo online, he would rather play Dungeons and Dragons online. I re-equip once a month, as running 8 toons to the shop to re-up their components and potions is not fun, and running out of the during a quest, or making the party wait while you go get them is not fun either.

Impaqt
07-08-2007, 04:35 PM
I think his point is that he doesnt like to play shopping for components/ammo online, he would rather play Dungeons and Dragons online. I re-equip once a month, as running 8 toons to the shop to re-up their components and potions is not fun, and running out of the during a quest, or making the party wait while you go get them is not fun either.

Seriously, there worse things to worry about.... If you choose to spend an hour a month shopping thats your choice....

I choose to spend 5 minutes every few times I play.... meh.....

Aladon
07-09-2007, 02:47 AM

Exactly.

Aladon

AmsterdamHeavy
07-09-2007, 04:22 AM
You are talking about such extreme quantities that I say:

No change needed - PnP rules. (Dont know where you came up with that "assume you have enough for eternity" bit). Carry half of what you claim you do and you'll be fine.

Getting supplies (for 8 characters even) is not a burden, its part of the game, otherwise there would be no encumberence, there would be no limit to what you could carry. Perhaps it wouldn't be such an onerous task if you weren't sitting there clicking 100 times for every item ya wanna buy.

...or if your character was actually built to carry all you'd like to carry. Min-Max much?

Get a strength item, or maybe carry a nice big pile of Bull's Strength pots then, since you're fond of carrying too much of everything. Hell, if you're a caster you get access to the bull's strength spell, just keep casting that.

Shopping for Components/Ammo Onlne - gimmie a break.

Cowdenicus
07-09-2007, 04:27 AM
uh huh, yeah i laugh at this thread.

Hey just ask the fighters you are ressing if they were thoughtful enough to bring you your components to res them.

If not, carry them to the shrine.

Aladon
07-09-2007, 09:44 AM
No change needed - PnP rules.

Perhaps you missed where I cited PHB p. 174 and how one isn't supposed to keep track of material components? If it were true to PnP, there'd be a "pouch" with an infinite supply of components for normal spells which weighed nothing or close to it. Again see p. 174 PHB.

As for pots, easy to be snarky about "Pnp Rules", but I don't recall any PnP campaign I've been in where the melees carried 15 weapons and several sets of armor.

Get a strength item, or maybe carry a nice big pile of Bull's Strength pots then, since you're fond of carrying too much of everything. Hell, if you're a caster you get access to the bull's strength spell, just keep casting that.

Very helpful suggestion! Thanks, that'd never occurred to me before. But sadly, there's no room for one in my inventory. :(

uh huh, yeah i laugh at this thread.

Hey just ask the fighters you are ressing if they were thoughtful enough to bring you your components to res them.

If not, carry them to the shrine.

ROTFL. There's nothing funnier than watching a leet melee-type play a caster for the first time. Funny how what's unimportant changes so quickly. :)

Best,

Aladon

NameisToad
07-09-2007, 09:58 AM
When I realized that my Wizard was encumbered and the biggest problem was his components, I stopped keeping 999 on hand. I keep 600 or so of most spell level components, and 300 or so of the level 6 and 7 components, and I haven't had any trouble since.

Vi'Aed
07-09-2007, 12:22 PM
Heck I think this goes in the wrong direction. It should be easier to get encumbered and more difficult to carry around 1000 pots and 15-20 weapons.

Not that I don't do it, but I think there should be more incentive to spec you guys for each run. Yes, that would mean having bankers more frequently scattered about, and more bank space, but the idea that I carry most everything I own with me doesn't sit to well.

I do get where you are coming from re:inventory maintenance, but I'd prefer it it were addressed with out of quest storage as opposed to in quest.

I sort of agree with the components weight issue, but on the other hand, casting should be more complicated than clicking a button... at least for arcanes. I'd like to see some cycles put into the 3 casting methods and ways to interrupt them.

Just my 2 cents.

joker965
07-09-2007, 12:29 PM
I guess I see where the OP is coming from but I just can't agree. DDO has already removed most of the inventory issues that come up in PnP. The weight allowance is massive compared to normal and most rules here are not enforced.

I think that having to do a little inventory management adds flavor to the game.