PDA

View Full Version : Vamp and Vorpal

Newtons_Apple
07-06-2007, 04:55 PM
Is the vamp in POP now immune to the Vorpal effect? I just ran POP 1 hour ago on Elite with my 14 Paladin. I didn't think to copy my combat log, but I remember rolling a 20 with my vorpal on that Vampire at least 6 times, probably more. This thread mentions that Deathward or possibly Fortification blocks the Vorpal effect:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=112648

Does the vamp or that room produce a deathward effect for the creatures inside? Incidentally, when we fought the demon queen, she went down on my first 20. Thoughts?

Blazer
07-06-2007, 05:04 PM
Next time check your combat log. You need to confirm the crit before the vorpal effect goes off.

Newtons_Apple
07-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Next time check your combat log. You need to confirm the crit before the vorpal effect goes off.

Fair enough, but I would think out of 6 hits, 1 of them would be confirmed. There is a chance that I had horrible luck, but I still feel something else is going on here.

Blazer
07-06-2007, 05:15 PM
Well, I shall definitely be in POP after I get out of work and I can check it for you, but I'm 99.9% sure that your issue is the lack of crit confirmation.

Horrible luck? One of my last POP elite runs I never even rolled a 20 on the vamp, let alone got the chance to roll a crit confirmation. I rolled plenty of 17s, 18s, and 19s, but no 20s. No one else had a vorpal or disruptor either, so we had to melee him down.

Longest. POP. Run. Ever.

Newtons_Apple
07-06-2007, 05:18 PM
That is too bad. I did fail to mention on that POP run that the first time through against the queen I got knocked down so much that I and the other party members wiped, and our ROFL caster had to pull the switch and get our candy a***s to the shrine...

Rilean
07-07-2007, 01:06 AM
dude I have had the same problem lots of 20 but not confirms. I just ran POP 6 times and the vamp went down to vorpals each run.

WestiesMA
07-07-2007, 11:04 AM
No, he is not immune. I vorpaled him several times yesterday myself :D

Sometime you own the dice, and sometimes they own you. Seems if I get Greater Commanded I then roll the worst strings of numbers possible....

Pecky
07-07-2007, 11:23 AM
Paladin's have terrible confirm rolls vs high AC mobs.

boldarblood
07-07-2007, 02:38 PM
Definitely not immune, vorped him a few times last night. Just bad luck on your confirm critical. Rangers/Paladins have alot tougher time confirming crits as they generally do not have Critical Accuracy enhancements, or Dorf/WF Tactics. You can improve your odds with that critical accuracy feat.

Griftor
07-08-2007, 01:57 AM
PoP Vamp vs. Vorpral vs. Disrupter - And the winner is????

Disrupter hands down.

Ran PoP 4 times last loot weekend with my rogue with a disrupter and a dwarf fighter that had a vorp. 3 out of the 4 vamp kills were done by me and my little stick.:cool:

Draclaud
07-09-2007, 09:42 AM

Disrupter hands down.

Ran PoP 4 times last loot weekend with my rogue with a disrupter and a dwarf fighter that had a vorp. 3 out of the 4 vamp kills were done by me and my little stick.:cool:

Vamp vs Vorpar vs Disruptor vs Flesh to Stone

Winner? Caster with Flesh to Stone

apollojuly
07-09-2007, 09:52 AM
I got a few vorpal kills with my cleric 13/fighter 1 over the weekend.

To get that to hit as high as you can, turn off any fighter stances, switch out the tower shield, use a rage potion and get the best buffs you can (heroism/greater heroism and recitation come to mind).

I've never been in a party that took a lot of damage in this room. For me it's always been the best defense is a good offense here.

Furgulder
07-09-2007, 10:16 AM

hehe QFT. coupled with some nice bursting weapons.

a lot more common than vorps and disruptors too.

Riddikulus
07-09-2007, 10:20 AM
That is too bad. I did fail to mention on that POP run that the first time through against the queen I got knocked down so much that I and the other party members wiped, and our ROFL caster had to pull the switch and get our candy a***s to the shrine...
Your first problem is the caster pulling the switch. Dance & FoD is quite useful in that room.

Yeah I managed to FtS the vamp, but the melee still took a long, long time to beat him down. I guess even stoned his regen is still running. Doesn't seem right.

Talcyndl
07-09-2007, 10:26 AM

Disrupter hands down.

How about a rogue with two disruptors? Standing next to a Pally with another.

Twice we've had the Vamp killed before he fully appears. :)

tihocan
07-09-2007, 10:49 AM
I remember rolling a 20 with my vorpal on that Vampire at least 6 times, probably more.
The Vampire has high AC. If you don't boost your to-hit and use a destruction weapon first, it's likely you're going to fail a bunch of confirm rolls.

Katrina
07-09-2007, 11:08 AM
He's not immune, I hit him with vorp twice last night and a few more times over the weekend. It may be that you're having real troubles confirming the crit. If your using a 1-hander try suplementing it with a seeker +10 1-hander (I know this sounds counter productive since you'll take a -6 penalty for duel wielding if you don't have the feat, but your still up +4 on the confirm with the seeker +10) Another overlooked yet handy feat is the Power Crit feat. It grants +4 to your confirm that I BELIEVE (not 100%) stacks with seeker.

Riddikulus:
I agree with you on the regen... I don't see how stone could heal itself...