PDA

View Full Version : Improved Critical: pierce vs ranged question

JelloMold
07-06-2007, 10:22 AM
A previous post on IC: ranged made me ask a question that I should know the answer to but don't...
If all ranged weapons are pierce, does IC: pierce work on range as well as melee attacks? If so, why would I want to take IC:ranged when I could take pierce? Is the same true for Weapon Focus/Specialization?

thanks, feeling sort of dumb right now:rolleyes:

Missing_Minds
07-06-2007, 10:36 AM
Nope.

All ranged attack criticals are affected by IC: Ranged.

All melee piercing attacks are affected by IC: Piercing.

so the way this game works, if you were to somehow able to stab someone with an arrow. yes, IC: Piercing would be applied. But to shoot it from a bow, IC: Ranged would apply.

PurdueDave
07-06-2007, 10:36 AM
Not AFAIK. Pierece/slash/bludgeon is for melee. Ranged is for ranged. No crossover.

Ozmoth
07-06-2007, 10:38 AM
Sorry buddy here in ddo things are a bit different. While arrows are pierce they are not capable of crit. Bows which are classified as ranged are. Bows or ranged weapons have to have ranged specializations and ic's to see benifit. There is no super option for double dip range/melee its one or the other. Yes founders I know slash gets throwing axe and all slash weapons and blunt gets hammers both thrown and held but, we are talkin about bows here. You may be able to get darts and daggers to benefit from pierce but not bows to include all versions of xbow and bow.

JelloMold
07-06-2007, 10:51 AM
That is what I figured. Just had to be sure I wasn't missing the boat. Wouldn't be the first time...

The_Silver_Griffon
07-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Yes founders I know slash gets throwing axe and all slash weapons and blunt gets hammers both thrown and held but, we are talkin about bows here.

I don't think so. That's why there is Improved Critical: Thrown.

Ozmoth
07-07-2007, 08:54 PM
Yes founders I know See I knew I was gonna screw somethin up. Good catch guys.