PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated

whitewizard813
07-04-2007, 11:04 PM
(Sorry--I think I put this thread originally on Newbie Harbor--but that was incorrect since I am a subscriber--my bad!)
I really dont see a very good sense of community in this game lately. I am a 5th level cleric who asks for help like "LFG Purge the Heratics" no one responds or if I send tells--I get "No thanks--already did it"--but I constantly get "Hey wanna do STK on elite?" "Hey wanna do WW on elite?"; but I cant seem to ever play the new quests I want! Then I try to join a guild--and the rules are so strict I cant find an officer to adventure with me so I can prove myself bec. they are hardly ever on or too high in level to bother with me. I hate to say it; but this is one great game that I will probably cancel bec. of the frustration in finding quest help--not the wonderful game itself! BTW, dont even bother putting that little LFG icon over your head bec. no no one seems to pay any attention to them. Oh yeah, Im not complaining folks; just frustrated. And yes, I did try to form my own guild; but thats being ignored too. If I am wrong about all this; please tell me, and how I can get consistent help with quests. I have tried everything else--I only get PUGs when I'm needed--not vice versa. BTW, I do play LOTRO and it is nothing like this community. Every time I go on--I will do an LFG and 5 min later--people will send I tell wanting to join up. Please don't say "Play LOTRO then" bec. I love DDO also. I think Turbine has done a fantastic job on both games, but DDO being a naturally group reliant game is frustrating to play bec. you cant get groups that often.

Aranticus
07-04-2007, 11:26 PM
(Sorry--I think I put this thread originally on Newbie Harbor--but that was incorrect since I am a subscriber--my bad!)
I really dont see a very good sense of community in this game lately. I am a 5th level cleric who asks for help like "LFG Purge the Heratics" no one responds or if I send tells--I get "No thanks--already did it"--but I constantly get "Hey wanna do STK on elite?" "Hey wanna do WW on elite?"; but I cant seem to ever play the new quests I want! Then I try to join a guild--and the rules are so strict I cant find an officer to adventure with me so I can prove myself bec. they are hardly ever on or too high in level to bother with me. I hate to say it; but this is one great game that I will probably cancel bec. of the frustration in finding quest help--not the wonderful game itself! BTW, dont even bother putting that little LFG icon over your head bec. no no one seems to pay any attention to them. Oh yeah, Im not complaining folks; just frustrated. And yes, I did try to form my own guild; but thats being ignored too. If I am wrong about all this; please tell me, and how I can get consistent help with quests. I have tried everything else--I only get PUGs when I'm needed--not vice versa. BTW, I do play LOTRO and it is nothing like this community. Every time I go on--I will do an LFG and 5 min later--people will send I tell wanting to join up. Please don't say "Play LOTRO then" bec. I love DDO also. I think Turbine has done a fantastic job on both games, but DDO being a naturally group reliant game is frustrating to play bec. you cant get groups that often.

1) what are the hours you play? could it be off peak times?
2) some quests are never going to attract much attention due to several reasons, namely length, xp and loot. purge the heretic is one of them which explains some difficulty in getting players
3) many guilds out there have rules abt entering them. some built up a good rep and will not allow errant recruitment to let the bad players in. most guild also do not recruit new players for that same reason.
4) same thing with starting guilds. most of the players who made new char will be able to get them into the guilds so they will not join others

how to help you? run quests for xp to quickly level up. run tangleroot, gwylan's, stormcleave, cult of six, threnal, chamber of raiyum, relic of sovereign host which most players will join due to high xp and/or loot factor

once you are high in lvl, as a cleric you can pretty much solo many of the low lvl quests. even then when you start a "favor" group, many will join

wizzy_catt
07-05-2007, 03:38 AM

come to riedra server we got nicer ppl than every other servers!

ZEFFLON
07-05-2007, 03:47 AM
I think it depends on which server you are on. I play on Argonnesean and have no problems finding groups and/or a guild. Proud member of AUM, when I wanted to join a guild , I send a ingame to the leader and was invited to join. Especially since I am low level (5th) I am trying to do the quest at that level and most of these been done, but my senior people in my guild will almost likely have an alt around my level and will change to that to run the quest. If you are on Argo, ask about AUM their restrictions are not high to join, pretty much be active help out the other guildies and have fun. If you are on Argo, and you need someone to run mid level quests, let me know I am up for anything, and will help you through those I have did already.

Hope You Stay

Zefflon:cool:

Kylstrem
07-05-2007, 08:13 AM
Only advice I can give is to find a guild to join... that may mean changing servers or telling people what server you are on.

Purge the Heretics is one of those annoying quests to do at the level it says it is designed for and people just do not like to do it unless they need it for favor (and then they will wait until they are well above the level of it).

However, if you can find a GOOD guild, you will be able to get fellow guildies to help you with quests like that.

Unfortunately, at this point the majority of players in the game have been playing for a long time, so most of the non-capped characters you see are alts of players with a capped character, and they are only trying to level-up those alts as fast as possible (which means STK, TR, WW, Stormcleave, Gwylan's, etc).

Good luck in finding a Guild.

thalion
07-05-2007, 09:51 AM
Well I was going to suggest starting your own LFMs but unfortunately I believe the other posters have a point - you may not get too many bites for that one even in a Looking For More ;)

If you would be interested in running with a regular set of comrades on a persistent team and leave no quest undone there are some slots open on the multiple Tuesday Teams (they are in the 3-4 level range ATM).

There are also some scattered openings across the other teams.

Freshen the Air or Die trying!!!!
- Thalion

tihocan
07-05-2007, 10:09 AM
Just to make it clear, it looks like you're using LFG instead of LFM.
If you put a LFG note saying "quest X", it's very unlikely that you'll get invited for this specific quest, because there would need to be someone else setting up a group for this quest at the very same time.
The "correct" way to do it is to create a party for the quest you want to do, then invite players who are LFG (send them a tell first), and wait for more to join your LFM.

Also, if you're a new player, try to join a guild who does not have too strict conditions (like playing 10 times with an officer). Some may also not apply strictly their written conditions if you show some interest (like chatting on their forums, contacting them in-game, etc.).

Cendaer
07-05-2007, 11:21 AM

"Purge the Heretics" tends to scare a lot of people, because it's loaded with arcane and divine casters. That being said, however, it's not that tough if the party makes generous use of resist enery spells and potions. Charms, suggestions, and persuasions also ease the pain of having so many casters in your way.

Keep in mind that announcing your want for a group in the general chat is only going to reach the players who are currently in the same district of Stormreach as yourself; e.g. - if you're in House Phiarlan making your announcment, people in House Deneith will not see your announcement in the general chat channel.

In addition, you might just be on the wrong server for your preferred play time. I suggest checking out Merlask's Guide to Picking Your Server (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=110931).

As for getting accepted into a guild, well, sometimes that can be tough, depending on the guild, but a lot of times, persistance on your part will pay off. If you feel like it's taking too much persistance to just get your foot in the door with a guild, then it's likely that's not going to be the guild for you anyway. Sometimes strict is good, but sometimes it's just a PITA used by guild leaders to weed out the serious applicants, from the not-so-serious.

Above all else, make sure you're having fun, no matter which group or guild you decide to join, or form.

nabrendel
07-05-2007, 12:22 PM
Yeah the purge the heretics quest is not a popular one, most people do it on my server at lvls 4-6 normal, hard, elite, just for the favor as it is right next to the tavern. It is a very simple quest with a good group, runs really fast if done right.
However, I do play my cleric more and I find that when I put up an LFM with her.. I tend to have very quick replies .. something about *not having to look for a cleric heh

PurdueDave
07-05-2007, 01:53 PM
Don't know about your server but guilds are pretty laid back Ghallanda. Rather than soliciting, I'd put in your BIO ("new player, looking for guild") and as you group around you'll probably get an invite. I would imagine that every server has some exclusive and open guilds of varying degress and almost all guilds have a number of low-mid level alts so being level 5 is no big deal.

S1gma
07-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Whitewiz:
you did not mention your server or play time. A disconnect there could be your entire problem. ( If you are EST, but your server is full of aussies, you will be missing each other. ) Someone else said, check out Merlasks guide. That's a good idea. I am on Sarlona, and only have issues grouping when it is the middle of the night, ~ 2 or 3am. Thalion mentioned Dedicated Teams. (I know his team would love to have a cleric join ;) ) . Check out his thread and see if one of those times fit your schedule.

No matter where you are or when you play, here's some advice that you should consider: everybody has their own ideas about the quest they want to do. Yes, many of the players who have been around might be avoiding certain quests, cause maybe they know the benefit for them is not worth the effort. However, if you are less picky, and do some quests with a PUG, or a regular group even, then if they are decent they will help you out with your choice next.

Sometimes I will start a group LFM, but I usually choose not to be the leader, preferring instead to join someone else's group already in progress. MANY times after we have completed the advertised quest (unless it is too long or too late) then the group stands around for a few minutes, and everyone shrugs and says "what're we going to do next?" That's your chance. (Of course, make sure the group you have joined is of the appropriate level.

If you do come to Sarlona, check for Amgis or Harpur. I don't mind running Purge the Heretics, or anything else for that matter!

knghtstalkr
07-07-2007, 02:06 PM
... I have a halfling paladin of the Sovereign Host who will sit outside Purge the Heretic and protest anyone who goes in there or at least tries to call out the Inquisitor Gnomon out for a holy reckoning!

Just say no to Purging!!!

Tiberius0000
07-09-2007, 01:01 PM
On Khyber, I've never had a problem with finding groups, and far as not getting to run the quest you want...try suggesting to a group your in, running that quest...after finishing the one you joined for...you may get a few interested then. The server your on may also be the problem...look around for one that suits you better.